Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2022 Melbourne Cup Flemington

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 10:59pm
That is what marketing is all about,.

I reckon twice as many worldly eyes would watch the race if he was in it.

Would that be worth anything to the VRC ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2022 at 10:26am
I agreed Djebel and I also think if the Melbourne Cup was WFA the chances would increase in terms of Stradivarius and others coming.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:27pm

Melbourne Cup plans in place for favourite as current trainer remains

Highly regarded German stayer Loft will line up in the Melbourne Cup but not with the earlier trainers who were being suggested for the horse (Hayes).

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2022 at 6:32pm
11 Starts. 3-4-2 $AUS469,358 in France, Germany, USA.
 PlacingDateCourseRace NameDistanceMoney
 1 of 729-Aug-2021Baden-BadenForderverein Baden Galopp Iffezheim E. V. Steher2800m14,000
 2 of 819-Sep-2021DortmundDeutsches St. Leger [G3]2800m11,000
 2 of 931-Oct-2021Berlin-HoppegartenSilbernes Pferd [G3]3000m11,000
 1 of 1115-May-2022Berlin-HoppegartenOleander-Rennen [G2]3200m60,000
 1st10-Jun-2022BelmontBelmont Gold Cup S. [G2]16f220,000

YearRaceGradeWinnerTrainerWinner Fam.Dist.2nd3rdTimeComment
2022BELMONT GOLD CUP STAKESG2LOFT9MARCEL WEISS7-b16 FBRITISH ROYALTYSTRONG TIDE23:16.68TURF FIRM [8 RAN] / NEW COURSE RECORDT
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 11:02am
Nominations for the big race close at 12 noon tomorrow, although late entries can be lodged up to 24th Aug.
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:37am
Thought i would join up and give some views on the Euro runners for this years race. Not a clue about the Aussie runners.

Cleveland @ 33/1

A very interesting runner who has been purchased by Twighlight payment's owner and switched to young Joseph to train from his father.

Just qualified tonight finishing second in a G3 race over 12 Furlongs. He was mainly campaigned last year over a mile and on his first run this year stepped up to 2 miles 2 furlongs to win a well known handicap at Chester. The second that day Coltrane has gone on to run with credit since.

Then finished second again at Royal Ascot over 1 mile 6 furlongs by Get Shirty who has gone on to win a good race since.

From the sound of things it looks like he is making the trip and could be quite well handicapped over further.

Away he Goes @ 140.0

Was very well fancied last year by connections but suffered an injury in the run up to the race and missed it. Had a warm up over too short a trip at Royal Ascot on his first run for a good while and improved a fair bit running 5 th to Kyprios and co. at Goodwood which qualified him to run this year.

Never raced much over 2 miles but a couple of them have been his best runs yet against Subjectivist and Trueshan which puts him up there on a going day.

Possibly going for the Ebor en route to another go at this after.  
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 9:45am
Welcome botchyuk!
Lot of us Aussies don't have a clue about the Euro runners so your comments are much appreciated Big smile
Slammington View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slammington Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:21am
Thanks Botchy.. someone must be watching, they are into $18 and $51 already! 

brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:07am
Hah! Wasn't me Slammy LOL ... and even if I had, my $1 wager never made a difference to no one Embarrassed
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 5:53pm
Probably about right to be fair. In mid summer there is so much big races going on i don't think bookies pay much attention till nearer the race.

25/1 still available over here still, quiet tempted to have another bash now he seems to be going.

I saw that some people mentioned Cammora and i suppose the race last night enhanced his chances with Gear up winning. I know he has been sold to you guys so any news on him would be welcome.

A report from last nights race anyway

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:04pm
Hayes' secure Irish Melbourne Cup challenger with Shane Warne link

Ben and JD Hayes have secured a serious Melbourne Cup contender after the owner who manages Shane Warne's horse purchased an eye-catching Irish import.

Camorra comes with impressive credentials having won the Group 2 Curragh Cup (2816m) in June – the same race won by imports Rekindling and Twilight Payment before their respective Melbourne Cup wins in 2017 and 2020.

Vintage Crop won the 1993 Curragh Cup before famously becoming the first northern hemisphere-trained runner to win the Melbourne Cup.

Camorra has been purchased by Jarred Magnabosco from Best Bloodstock who is the managing owner of Sacred Oath, the David Vandyke-trained Queensland sprinter who has been part-owned by cricket legend Warne who tragically died earlier this year.

It is a massive boost for Lindsay Park and the Hayes’ brothers to have a legitimate Melbourne Cup contender.

It was thought the Hayes brothers would be training equal $15 favourite Loft for the Melbourne Cup however that horse will now race in the Cup for its current trainer Marcel Weiss.

TAB has Camorra as a $34 Melbourne Cup chance and JD Hayes feels the six-year-old will give the great race a mighty shake.

“This horse has got established form lines into the Melbourne Cup, for a long time the Curragh Cup has been a good form race,” JD Hayes told News Corp.

“He should get in with a nice weight.

“He has got a bit of age behind him so he has had a few pre-seasons under the belt and I think he will be able to absorb the pressure of a Melbourne Cup and be able to kick hard.

“I’ve been loving what I’ve been seeing from watching his videos and I’m very interested to know him more.

“We will be using the guidance of Ger Lyons, his current trainer, as much as possible.

“I think this horse will be a legitimate player in the Melbourne Cup, he looks like he is in the prime of his career.

“We just need the horse to travel well and we are cooking with gas.”

Camorra, who has had 16 starts for four wins, with remain in the care of Lyons for one more European run in the Group 1 Irish St Leger in September before jetting to Lindsay Park in Australia.

JD Hayes says he is planning a trip with Magnabosco to be on track for the Irish St Leger.

Magnabosco also has unbeaten three-year-old colt Tijuana with Lindsay Park and on a spring mission to attack the Group 1 Caulfield Guineas.

He believes Camorra will be a proper Melbourne Cup player.

“The horse is very versatile, he can be on pace and setting a quick tempo and be brave fighting off challengers, but he’s also a horse who can take a sit and show a turn of foot,” Magnabosco said.

“That’s why I thought he would make a really good two mile Handicap horse and be a serious challenger for the 2022 Melbourne Cup.”

Ben and JD Hayes will be trying to follow in their famous father’s footsteps and win the Melbourne Cup after David Hayes won the great race with Jeune in 1994.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 4:15pm
Looks like Simon Kwok (HK Beauty family) purchased him after his debut win. I'm guessing he was supposed to go to Hong Kong but didn't/couldn't get a rating so Kwok sold him after a few starts.
Time is a flat circle
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 10:03pm
Just a quick one guys. Does placing in a Group race for 3 year old's only qualify to pass the ballot ?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 11:45pm
Passing the ballot clause basically means a horse has satisfied one or more of the following clauses
A) since 1 February 2021 inclusive, won or was placed 2nd or 3rd in an internationally recognised Group or Graded flat race run over 2300 metres or further; OR won or was placed 2nd or 3rd in the Queensland Oaks OR
B) since 1 February 2021 inclusive, was placed 4th or 5th in an internationally recognised Group 1 or Grade 1 flat race run over 2300 metres or further in which horses older than 3 years old could run, OR
C) since 1 February 2021 inclusive, won an internationally recognised Listed flat race run over 2300 metres or further, OR
D) since 1 February 2021 inclusive, won or was placed 2nd or 3rd in the York Ebor (UK) or Champions & Chater Cup (HK), OR
E) since 1 February 2021 inclusive, won the Northumberland Plate (UK), Cesarewitch (UK), or Queen Mother Memorial Cup (HK), OR
F) was placed 6th, 7th or 8th in the 2022 MRC Caulfield Cup, OR
G) was placed 2nd or 3rd in the 2022 MVRC Cox Plate, OR
H) won the 2022 VRC TAB Turnbull Stakes, OR
I) won or was placed 2nd or 3rd in the 2020 Lexus Melbourne Cup, OR
J) won the 2020 MRC Caulfield Cup.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:54am
Thanks Shawy. So if a horse ran in a 3YO only Group 1 and finished 4th they would not qualify because older horses were not allowed to run.

But if a horse finished 3rd in a 3YO only G1 they would qualify and the other races 3YO only races are ok ?
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 5:59am
Another one. Does that mean Spanish Mission wont of qualified because he finished 3 rd in the 2021 Melbourne Cup not the 2020 one ?
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 1:14pm
First question, yes I believe that's the case.

Second question, Last years Spring features are covered in clause A
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 1:57pm
Botchy, Spanish mission is qualified. What shawy posted was in regards to 2021 cup as some clauses came in last year. Bit basically wherever it says 2020, it means the previous year.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:47pm
Very helpful guys thanks. Quite a lot of " trials " coming out over the next 10 days or so in UK & Ireland. Probably the last race would be the Irish St. Leger before they head off to quarantine. 

Threw a few shekels on the exchanges at crazy prices on one named Bluegrass who should be winning a 3YO only race tomorrow night if fit enough after a break. Not a clue if this race is on the agenda but Coolmore seem to have a few runners normally. 

Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 6:57am
The Listed Vinnie Roe Stakes over 14 furlongs at Leopardstown has been won by Point King (3c Zoffany x Loved, by Galileo).

This horse is owned by Lloyd Williams, trained by Joseph O'Brien & nominated for the Melbourne Cup. I haven't seen the replay yet but he might be one to keep an eye on.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 7:05am
Margins - 2¼ x 1½

Currently $41 in the Melbourne Cup with Sportsbet. Bit short for my liking!

Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 1:16am
Not sure if it works down under but a good site for replay's if it does work.

Vinnie Roe stakes from last night. Safe to say Bluegrass will struggle to win a MC.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 10:45am
Sure does, many thanks Thumbs Up
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 2:48pm
A few Cup horses ran in the first race at Caulfield - Midnight Blue, Vow And Declare and Tralee Rose.

Race 1 - 12:10PM MRC First Renewal Michael Grumley Hcp (1600 METRES)Times displayed in local time of Race Meeting
Of $150,000.1st $82,500, 2nd $27,000, 3rd $13,500, 4th $7,500, 5th $4,500, 6th $3,000, 7th $3,000, 8th $3,000, 9th $3,000, 10th $3,000
Prize money contribution totalling 3% will be directed to jockey and equine welfare prior to distribution
Handicap, Minimum Weight 54kg, Apprentices can claim.

Track Name: Main Track Type: Turf Track Condition: Good 4 Time: 1:36.79 Timing Method: Electronic INTERIM RESULTS

ColourFinishNo.HorseTrainerJockeyMarginBar.WeightPenaltyStarting Price
17JIMMY THE BEARPatrick PayneBilly Egan554kg$3.60
24SO SI BONBen & JD HayesLuke Nolen1.25L757.5kg$9.50
36CHIEF ALTONYAlex RaeCraig Williams2.5L654kg$3.10F
43MIDNIGHT BLUEDanny O'BrienJye McNeil4.75L158.5kg$20
51VOW AND DECLAREDanny O'BrienDamian Lane5.05L461kg$41
65THOUGHT OF THATCiaron Maher & David EustaceMs Linda Meech6.55L255kg$3.60
72TRALEE ROSE (NZ)Symon WildeMark Zahra6.75L360kg$12
8MR EXCLUSIVEMatthew BrownMs Alana Kelly (a2/51kg)0

Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 4:40am
Joseph's MC entry Raise You won the Irish St. Leger trial today very well beating a dual Irish St. Leger winner in the process.

No mention of future targets for now but looks like he has some good stayers on the go this year

Replay

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 12:59pm
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 12:44am
A few horses from this race may head to Australia for the Cup
Botchyuk View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Botchyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 6:31pm
York Ebor meeting starts today, no doubt a few contenders will emerge

Starting today with the Great Voltigeur won by Cross Counter a few years ago before going on to win.

Aikhal                 - A O'Brien
Deauville Legend - J Ferguson
El Bodegon          - J Ferguson
Grand Alliance     - C Fellowes

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:52pm
Actually, Cross Counter was narrowly beaten in the Great Voltigeur. I remember well as it was the last leg of a multi which would have given me a nice collect. To make matters worse, I was so dirty on the horse that I didn't back him in the Cup. Stupid move!

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2022 at 8:56pm
For better or worse just proves you're human GA.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>