Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

S.A.S. Celebrities

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.A.S. Celebrities
    Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:46pm
Any love for this show apart from Carioca & myself? I watched the 1st one recorded, last night & it sure is no holds barred LOL
Brynne Edelsten's already thrown in the towel & I can only guess management of 7 had the last say in her being there in the first place as there can be no other reason - useless, time wasting Censored that she was LOL
Alicia Molik got a hell of a dressing down & surprisingly to me, didn't burst into tears Clap
I can't see many of the females getting thru' & a big ? has to be over Mark Philippoussis- thinking leopards & spots LOL
Ewing & Burgess impress me thus far.

“Living in our world will be the rawest and most brutal life lesson these celebrities will ever experience,” says chief instructor Middleton. “We aren’t holding anything back, it’s as authentic as it gets.”

The full line-up of star recruits set to take on SAS Australia in 2021 is:

Alicia Molik – Tennis Champion
Bonnie Anderson – Singer / Actor Brynne Edelsten – Socialite
Dan Ewing – Actor
Emma Husar – Former Politician
Erin Holland – TV Presenter
Heath Shaw – AFL Star
Isabelle Cornish – Actor
Jana Pittman – Dual Olympian
Jessica Peris – Sprinter
Jett Kenny – Ironman
John Steffensen – Olympic Runner
Kerri Pottharst – Beach Volleyball Olympian
Koby Abberton – Bra Boy
Manu Feildel – Celebrity Chef
Mark Philippoussis – Tennis Legend
Pete Murray – Singer-Songwriter
Sam Burgess – NRL Star

Edited by Gay3 - 15 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:50pm
God there are some pretenders amongst that lot - been living off the Celebrity Circuit for years. Standouts - Pitman, Steffensen , Philippoussis
Refer ALP Election Promises
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:55pm
Haven't seen it yet oneone? Few of them'll be there for long, they've got no hope, far too gruelling! As if the tear gassing wasn't enough to start with LOL
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:56pm
I'm hooked. Thought it would be contrived rubbish but they're not mucking around! Some very funny moments too with the non-PC badgering of the "celebs" by the SAS guys. Eg Manu being told he's eaten too much of his own cooking, some soap star tool being told off for meditating before a challenge because an enemy might be coming up behind him, etc.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 1:59pm
Bit rough on big Sam putting him in that narrow tunnel with his chronic shoulder problems.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:01pm
Good on him getting through. Impressive.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:07pm
I've had shoulder problems twice that lasted a few days on each occasion and it was too painful to hang the washing on the clothes line.Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:19pm
Agree stayer but for me the standout was calling the Edelsten bimbo "Barbie" at least x 2 LOLLOLLOL
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:23pm
Reminded me of the old Goldie Hawn movie Private Benjamin. That had some classic moments.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:29pm
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:30pm
Jana Pitman leading lady and Jhett Kenny leading man are my early tips. Have really enjoyed the first two episodes, but absolutely hate the time wasting "coming up next" teasers. Would rather see / hear more from the characters. Best bet is to record the show and watch it add free. 
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 2:59pm
For those who may be interested but not convincingly enough to watch, here's a little more:

How Seven has taken SAS Australia to the next level in 2021

SAS Australia will return for its new season on  Monday, 13 September at 7.30pm on Channel Seven and 7plus.

Faced with extreme challenges in unforgiving terrain a group of celebrities will eat, sleep, and be tested in punishing conditions, with no allowances or exceptions made for their celebrity status or gender.

Mediaweek spoke to Seven’s director of production Andrew Backwell about what to expect from season two as well as the success of The Voice and gave readers an update on the production of Australian Idol.

Backwell said that one reason for the show’s success last year was that it goes deeper than just the cosmetic action.

“At first glance of the show, you would think it’s about these celebrities doing these dangerous challenges, which is certainly a big part of it. But the x-factor of the show is actually the character development of these celebrities. The viewers start with a preconceived idea of the celebrity and then over the course of the show, you see this character development, and you get to understand the celebrity.

“The amazing thing is that the celebrity is learning stuff about themselves along the way, that’s why the format is so powerful. You change your perception of this person. The funny thing is that this is the one celebrity show that I’ve done that the vast majority has come out afterwards saying that this has been the best experience of their life. In such hard conditions and being essentially tortured out there, they’ve been able to learn something about themselves.”

SAS Australia

The first season of SAS Australia didn’t take it easy on the recruits but when asked how Seven will improve on the show for its second season, Backwell said that everything will be scaled up.

“The challenges are bigger and more shocking. What we did learn about it is you need to have the right casting. You need characters that are going to go on a journey and you need characters that are going to reveal something about themselves. Something that maybe they have been hiding from themselves. This brings it all to the surface.

“As a viewer, you see this incredible character development that a lot of other formats don’t achieve because this is so real and so hard. You’ve seen a real honest character development, rather than other reality shows that are a bit fake and gentle and you see someone fall in love, but they never really fell in love. This is absolutely real.”

The recruits are under the direction of elite ex-Special Forces soldiers Ant Middleton, Mark “Billy” Billingham, Jason “Foxy” Fox and Ollie Ollerton, who put the celebrities through a series of physical and psychological tests from the real SAS selection process.

“The amazing thing about the show is the directing staff, Ant Middleton and his team run the production. All we do is film what they’re doing. So it’s not a case of the producer or the cameraman saying “okay, I’m rolling, let’s get started”, the guys do it and if you miss it, you miss it, they don’t stop and they don’t wait for you and they don’t change it. They’re doing a proper SAS course and we just follow and film what happens and the producer has no control. That’s very hard for a producer,” said Backwell.

Comparing SAS Australia to MAFS

SAS Australia is billed as a different type of reality TV due to the severe reality of the content, which differs drastically from other popular shows like Married at First Sight. Backwell said that both types of shows have their appeal.

MAFS is a brilliant show and it does fantastically in the ratings. I know the format well, I was the head of program and production at Channel Nine. But it’s hard to compare, it’s like comparing apples and oranges. MAFS is constructed reality, they put people together to create a reaction where this is absolutely authentic and real. What you see is what you get. There’s nothing behind the scenes ramping up the drama, what you’re seeing is what is unfolding. Viewers pick that, I’m not saying that the other is not entertaining, but because this show is so real it has a real hook.”

SAS Australia’s next production

The next SAS Australia production will differ from the first two seasons with non-celebrity recruits taking part, and Backwell said the real change will be the experience of the viewer.

“The process that the celebs go through is identical to the process that the non-celebrity recruits go through. For the viewer it’s different, because they know the celebrities, they’re going to have a preconceived idea. Then you see the characters journey. With the civilian version, people are introduced to this person so there’s no preconceived idea. When you meet someone, you judge them, and you think “oh, well, he is going to be good, or she is going to be terrible” and then you see the journey. So for the viewer, it’s different but the actual process is exactly the same. We didn’t go easy on the celebrities or easy on the civilians. Even though it’s different challenges. It’s just as tough and just as confronting, and they’re gonna learn about themselves, whether they’re celebrities or civilians.”

SAS Australia

One reason that Seven was able to do this additional SAS Australia production was the availability of Ant Middleton who has cut ties with SAS: Who Dares Wins in the UK.

“That’s certainly worked in our favour. Ant Middleton is absolutely fantastic. He is kind of that one in a million talent and is a brilliant director of staff. He obviously was an exceptional soldier. He’s a motivational speaker, and he’s fantastic on the show. Having access to him has really been crucial for the success of the show. Ant is a very important element of the show and I don’t think it would work as well without him.”

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:29pm
Thank god we don't have to hear that Hussar blowhard any more.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 10:41pm
 strangely enough...despite loving Survivor, Amazing Race, Bear Grills etc..  and I've even had a glance or two at Naked and Afraid, which should really be called 'Pixilated and Complaining', I find this show utterly boring. 

Glorified boot camp.

Ermm
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 11:45pm
Did you actually watch Monday nights' show?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:50am
 Saw tonight's. Just can't gravitate to the structure.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:53am
That Koby Abberton came across pretty ordinary last night. I know its all a bit staged - however real "big noter" & not good for his local hero legacy.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:56am
& I'm struggling with the theory that cutting short a few exercises = lack of personal integrity. Long bow right there I reckon ! 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 11:59am
Here's an idea. How about we S.A.S TBV. 

Pretty diverse lot of characters right there LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:00pm
That would be one way of getting Whale back. Give him the green light as long as he's prepared to be the whipping boy LOL
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:01pm
He came across like a whining weasel with a life-long "victim" chip on his shoulder, IMO. Real tough guy.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:01pm
(Koby, that is. Not whale. )
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:03pm
Well actually...............LOL
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 12:57pm
Koby came across as a total tool, and not a sharp one either.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Bit rough on big Sam putting him in that narrow tunnel with his chronic shoulder problems.

I felt for him. I had scans on my shoulder and neck and freaked out in the machine.
Had previously had MRI’S with no issues but that time about I was jammed in so tight I couldn’t move. 
Had to twist to a slight angle and the ceiling of the machine was lowered to the tip of my nose. Zero wriggle room. Immediately thought of Stuart Diver but I couldn’t last 30 minutes let alone a week
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
As to Aberton, I wasn’t surprised with what he did
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:17pm
That Aberton thing, did he really think he would get away with that.

I might be naive, I really thought he has genuinely kissed up there.

He had to know it was him and they would know about it. 

He should have shown a hell of a lot more humility though when he went back and told his fellow troops. 
reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:36pm
Would you expect any better from the likes of Aberton ?   Seriously ?  His claim to fame ?  A Bra Boy who weasled out of a murder charge ?   Censored
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:48pm
He would have been unaware of the cameras and when sprung defaulted to the cowards denial tactic 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 11:52pm
The stupidity is he could have done the 30 easy. As some of the others said they did extra just in case they lost count. 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>