Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Ben Roberts-Smith

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2021 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Peter Stanley

Research Professor in the Australian Centre for the Study of Armed Conflict and Society, UNSW

Stanley does seem to have an axe to grind about Australia's war time history.....

Stanley has been a major participant in several public debates over history. He strongly contested the idea that there was a "Battle for Australia" in 1942, disagreeing opinions that events in Darwin in 1942 during the Second World War represented Japan's intention to invade Australia. He argues that the wartime slogan of a 'battle for Australia', used by John Curtin in February 1942 in anticipating invasion by Japan, was taken up in the mid-1990s and applied unjustifiably. These ideas he has developed in his 2008 book Invading Australia. As President of 'Honest History', he has criticised the excesses of the centenary of the Great War and the return toward 'Anzackery' in Australian commemoration..

In 2001, Stanley criticised the ABC Television mini-series Changi, claiming that the program was an in-accurate and misleading portrayal of the Second World War POW camp in Singapore.

After all his family migrated to Australia as 10 pound Poms.

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:04pm
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:09pm
Awkward.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:54am
Meanwhile, back in Sydney the Middle Eastern families are having a spat & continue to shoot at each other in suburbia over who is running the drug empire. Extremely pleasant types

Priorities !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 11:26am
You should start a thread.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 11:56am
Has no friends Ben found anyone who served with him to back him?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:05pm
I'm sure Ben & his mates would get much better treatment if captured by the Taliban. Probably get to see them on a nice video having their heads sliced off. But go on - crucify our latest VC recipient. 

Twisted !
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:06pm
Show me a war - & I'll show you a squillion war crimes !
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:17pm
Oneone should be Ben's lawyer. "Yes he's guilty of all charges but whatabout."
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I'm sure Ben & his mates would get much better treatment if captured by the Taliban. Probably get to see them on a nice video having their heads sliced off. But go on - crucify our latest VC recipient. 

Twisted !
Hmmm,
You do understand that this whole brouhaha has been instigated by BRS?

A couple of reporters had the temerity to disclose his actions, to which he took umbrage.

He’s spent $2M to date, in his efforts to punish them.

He seems to think most reasonable people will think poorly of him, if they know he’s been murdering prisoners without cause.

Of course, unfortunately there’s still a small minority that think, he’s a champion cos he’s giving it to the nig nogs…..
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Meanwhile, back in Sydney the Middle Eastern families are having a spat & continue to shoot at each other in suburbia over who is running the drug empire. Extremely pleasant types

Priorities !

we were staying just half a block from this shooting...and didn't hear a thing. Our hotel apartment must be remarkably sound-proof. Apparently it disturbed others.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 12:54pm
As long as they are shooting each other, who cares ?  Give them some more ammo.  As long as they are good shots and no bystander gets hit .
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:58pm
Is this guy a Sociopath ? 

I was going to ask if perhaps he might regret this legal battle ?
reductio ad absurdum
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:20pm
Don't sell him short , like me your prone to gaffs .Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 10:39pm
My favourite bit, I always burn my computers unless I trade them in……

He is a Prince!

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm
The first casualty of war is the truth they say , I'll sit this one out until the witnesses are one the stand , have a look how things stand now , the Taliban have taken virtually two thirds of the country back , they want complete Islamic law , women and children will be the second on the list , I bet the government would like a few B.R.S. on the front line now !
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:35pm
He was trained to be the best of the best and most of us want to believe he is the best of the best. But some of his comrades have some bad stories to tell.

I doubt jealousy is the motive.

He is trained to overcome all those temptations of war and to handle pressure. There are very few excuses for what he is accused of. Destroying computers seems a little too convinient.

I hope I am wrong and he is proven to be innocent and the hero we all want him to be.

reductio ad absurdum
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:42pm
I have no sympathy for taliban POWs. They reap what they sow.   Like they would treat their POWs under the Geneva Convention ?  I dont think so.  How many innocents have we seen getting their throats slit by them ?
Its war.  What goes around comes around.  Called Karma.
God help the women and kids once the taliban get the power.  
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

The first casualty of war is the truth they say , I'll sit this one out until the witnesses are one the stand , have a look how things stand now , the Taliban have taken virtually two thirds of the country back , they want complete Islamic law , women and children will be the second on the list , I bet the government would like a few B.R.S. on the front line now !
Can’t wait for his Mrs turn as a witness!

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 7:40am
I see the fairies have come out in force for the taliban 

EAD
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I wonder how this man is feeling now , after watching the news of the day I would back him to the hilt , reading the American solders portrayal of the ANA it's not hard to understand his dislike for anything suspicious that could have harmed his men in this filthy theatre of war , good luck to you Ben , and you will need it !
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2021 at 9:02pm
It must be a destructive time .   Stationed in areas where no front lines exist , the little old lady bending in the field is probably the one who fired the shot .
   Who could cope .
These hero's are trained to kill . Don't condemn unless you have "worn their shoes".
   I'm on his side 100% .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 9:43am
Sort of suggests it might be a good idea to get out of that hell hole.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 11:29am
Agree..    Enough time to be trained and taught to build their own defences .      .   Do i remember complaints from their Government about the allies being there .
   Cultures so far apart will never assimilate.   Sort out there own differences . Inside their own borders . Limit any migration from these areas.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

It must be a destructive time .   Stationed in areas where no front lines exist , the little old lady bending in the field is probably the one who fired the shot .
   Who could cope .
These hero's are trained to kill . Don't condemn unless you have "worn their shoes".
   I'm on his side 100% .

While I agree with the gist of what you are saying, The SAS are trained to respond under pressure and to have high warfare morals.
reductio ad absurdum
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:25pm
At times I read where all rules and morals have to be forgotten .

The invasion of Okinawa was a take no prisoners read.

(In book entitled Prisoners of the Japanese, Gavan Davis wrote, "The idea that a soldier would surrender rather than die, or stay alive in a prison camp rather than kill himself, was just alien to the Japanese." )
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 7:48pm
Ben will undoubtedly be secretly pleased:

The collapse of the Afghan government means an elite team of state and federal police homicide detectives will now struggle to interview Afghan witnesses to alleged Australian war crimes.

ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:49am
Yes, the best thing that could have happened for his defence. Everything that comes out makes things worse and worse for this guy. No sane person could possibly defend what he has been accused of. 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 11:49am
Well not defence since he is the one suing but you know what I mean. 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 1:39pm
Hard to imagine what one might do, when your life is at stake .

One civilian dressed opponent, fired the Rocket.     You have arrested 2 and you and forces must move forward . ( which one )---- No facilities for prisoners in battle .

I would take both out ... 5/ 10 if necessary .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>