Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Royal Family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Royal Family
    Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 11:20am
Unless you live under a log in your back garden you could not have missed out on the "he said", "she said" goings on in the Royal family over the past few years as exposed on television during last week. Meghan claimed someone in "the firm" had passed a comment about what would be the colour of the skin of Archie once she announced she was pregnant. This brought back memories of what colour the kittens would have being when my black cat got ambushed by the ginger tom next door. Fortunately all ended well, and I was not ostracised by the rest of the my family.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 11:25am
Why does Meghan think the palace should have handled her mental health? Couldn't she find her own psychiatrist or is that too common?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 11:29am
Ranga out of lightly melanated half white - no prizes for guessing that you won't get ebony offspring.Geek

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 11:53am
They are a sad attention seeking anachronistic mob Bob. Time for a Republic here.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 12:30pm
I just stated the same thing to a friend. The monarchy is anachronistic and has little relevance, except as a curiosity as to why anyone thinks one human being is more special than another. If you read the histories of all the 'royal' families of Europe, you find out very quickly that they actually believe they are of a different race to 'commoners'. 

As for no-one assisting Meghan in her time of depression...did the 'firm' ever do anything but ignore signs of human frailty, while glossing over scandal after scandal among their ranks.

It was inevitable that this marriage was going to be a problem for the 'firm'. An American mixed-race outspoken feminist was not the 'thing'...as per Wallis Simpson...

As for the 'skin colour' comment...just chuck me a tampon, because I'm convinced that's who made it.

Evil Smile

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:17pm
This must be doing the rounds on social media - in case anyone missed it or is even remotely interested LOL Royals bashing tends to bore me stiff Wink

Royal ‘celebs’ Harry and Meghan add to toxic assault on the West
You can cavil at the ubiquity of television, or its intrusiveness, or superficiality. But it is powerful and relentless in bringing the underprivileged into our living rooms, our head space. Suffering Rohingya in Myanmar, slum dwellers in Kolkata, Ebola victims in Africa, even the chronically unemployed and drug-addicted in the worst inner-city blight spots of the big Western metropolises, from Detroit to Marseilles.
Rarely have the sensitive viewer’s withers been rung so much as by the heartbreaking spectacle of disadvantage, persecution and suffering revealed by the ace investigative journalist Oprah Winfrey this week. There, in the slums of Santa Barbara, is a family forced to cower in their miserable nine-bedroom house, worth only a handful of royal dust at $US15m (nearly $20m in our money), trapped in the Montecito ghetto, where more than 90 per cent of the wealthy residents are white.
Harry and Meghan splashed $US15 million on this California home. Credit: Sotheby's International Realty
And such rough neighbours — Oprah, Ellen De Generis, Kevin Costner. What a neighbourhood. The suffering young couple have been forced on to the bare bones of a rough-and-tumble existence, down to a communications team, security detachment, domestic staff of nannies and cooks and housekeepers and what have you. Harry and Meghan — just two ­ordinary kids doing it tough.
And, Harry told us, he has to live on the inheritance from his mum, which when he got it was some tens of millions of dollars, no doubt shrewdly invested since. And there is allegedly a similar-sized inheritance from the Queen Mother. But they are a wonderfully unaffected couple. Theirs is not the artificial life of contrived gesture and showbiz nonsense. Look at their generous if tiny pen for chickens rescued from battery farms — these lucky poultry occupy surely the most expensive real estate of their species.
That Harry and Meghan succeeded in garnering overwhelming sympathy from the US public — and warm messages of support from the Joe Biden White House and the likes of Hillary Clinton — shows how perfectly they have mastered the dynamics of celebrity culture.
There is a serious dimension to this. Celebrity dynamics now dominate Western culture, and increasingly Western politics, in new and increasingly destructive ways. Harry and Meghan deployed the two most lethal weapons of personal testimony — mental health and race. It goes without saying that if Meghan ­really felt suicidal she was entitled to proper medical and emotional help. She and Harry blame the palace for refusing it to her. But surely if Harry failed to summon medical assistance in a life-threatening situation for his wife, he is not quite as heroic as billed. Of course, it’s silly to invade the emotionalism of celebrity strip poker with either logic or facts.
Now they protect their privacy with tell-all television interviews. This one was watched at first cut by 60 million people. Their earning power in the US will now be stratospheric.
If, in her time as a royal, Meghan was truly exposed to racist sentiment, that too is completely, absolutely unacceptable. Racism is a profound human evil. It ­deserves to be called out and ­opposed wherever it exists. But identifying racism where it doesn’t really exist is corrosively damaging. The media criticism that seemed in their royal days to exercise Harry and Meghan the most had nothing to do with race. The couple famously preach the most oleaginous, moralistic version of opposition to global warming, yet took multiple private jets on numerous holidays. That’s a standard hypocrisy among celebrities.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
Meghan Markle was, is, and will always be, an actress. Not to be dismissed, or forgotten, that detail. The Royal family is a kind of "show business", so we have a natural synergy here. I'd love to know the Queen's thoughts, and whether she will record them somewhere, but I suspect she considers Harry has got the Diana gene where they stop playing the game after a time, and want to branch out on their own.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:33pm
Shouldn't be hard for you to work out the Queens thought's Max I would say , you seemed to have no trouble from another thread working out the goings on of the female mind .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:39pm
Well, croaker, it isn't a great leap to surmise that the old Queen is thinking "here we go again" and that Diana would not be out of her thoughts. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:44pm
close to the mark there manurer .Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 1:56pm
American divorcees have a perfect record of rocking the Royal boat, 2 from 2, they just won't "play the game".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:07pm
The Royal family is a kind of theatrical tragi-comedy, in the end they are human beings, and who would really want to be part of it, even the actress Meghan got fed-up with being "in-character".
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:20pm
A family of inbred's who believe they are better than everyone else whilst holding no actual power
Time is a flat circle
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:24pm
I guess Princess Margaret played the game and got plenty out of being a “royal”.Did bugger all and lived a life of decadence, all at the expense of the taxpayer.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Meghan Markle was, is, and will always be, an actress. Not to be dismissed, or forgotten, that detail. The Royal family is a kind of "show business", so we have a natural synergy here. I'd love to know the Queen's thoughts, and whether she will record them somewhere, but I suspect she considers Harry has got the Diana gene where they stop playing the game after a time, and want to branch out on their own.

Not hard to know what Queenie is thinking. I suspect Megs has been put on a hit list like the other one was
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
What causes racist behaviour?   Usually not understanding or even knowing anyone of a different race or colour.  Usually picked up from parents etc.

I have never seen the Queen be anything but courteous to all the visitors and members of her commonwealth.  Be they any colour race or creed she welcomes them and finds some common ground.  So as the head of and kind of grandmother to a vast amount of family in a land where most nationalities have some part of the population I think racist remark was something said innocently and taken totally the other way.

I'm a classic example of foot in mouth if I don't watch it.  Half the time I say something totally innocent from my childhood which can be taken totally differently now.

I didn't watch this as I think I feel sorry for any family suffering a fallout.  It is so easy to divide and conquer.  But I'm too far away to comment on someones personal feelings.  It looked to me like she was welcomed by the general public and family alike.  There may of been concerns over the short engagement but hey it does show how different the brothers are.  And the general public loved Harry for his engaging smile and fun nature.  William can seem too withdrawn and I think he feels his place very strongly.  Always trying to please.

So I guess that's all I feel.  Sorry that the brothers have had a falling out.  There is nothing sadder than when this happens.  And sometimes it is a mental issue which can cause misunderstanding and then breakdown in relationships.  So all up just a total sorry mess for all involved.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:42pm
Nobody accused the Queen, Harry clearly stated it wasn't either of his grandparents.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:43pm
There was a popular opinion circulating that all the "troubles" of the royals was attributable to not being able to marry who they wanted to, Edward and Wallis, Meg and her RAF man, Charlie and Camilla etc but Harry does not fit that narrative.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

close to the mark there manurer .Wink

Max manure! Sorry Max, have to pay that one. LOLLOL
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 3:07pm
Saying that families usually are or are not racist.  She isn't and I think her children had more mixing with the worlds populations than most ordinary families.  You can say something totally innocently and another person can take it the wrong way.  It has happened here with me.  I was on an american site once and talking about the black Kingston Town and was accused of being racist.  It's a problem but you have to be very careful how you say things not to offend.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 4:41pm
Harry and Meghan have to make money and a lot of it. He has some from his mum but not enough to sustain their Hollywood A list lifestyle for long. So they do an interview with Oprah , aimed at the American market and designed to cement their “ brand” . The interview itself was very scripted and hit both the current trigger points designed for maximum American exposure. Mental health and racism. Just about everything Meghan said was bs for anyone that knows anything about the Royals and how they work , but the yanks lapped it up. An actual journalist would have shown Meghan for the liar she is but that wasn’t Oprah’s job . Her job was to feed Meghan the lines and looked shocked at the answers. Anyway the outcome is Harry’s burnt all his bridges in the UK . He’s a Kardashian husband now , living the celebrity lifestyle.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 5:55pm
 Wow...I didn't realise Baguette was really Piers Morgan. 

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:04pm
The very first thing stated at the beginning of that interview was that they were not being paid anything for the interview.

Their income in America is from a deal to do documentaries for Netflix that the NYT suggested was worth $100m. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:11pm
  She wasn't lying...but I do think she underestimated how 'closeted', disciplined and regimented the royal family are.  She said she was shocked that in private all the family still bowed or curtsied to the queen.

Diana looked a bit flakey, even before marrying The Human Tampon. Too young and shy to deal with their faults and foibles. No surprise that he went back to the woman he really wanted to marry. 

Hazza's parentage is still under suspicion. He looks like Di, but not Chuck or anyone else in the family. Bears a definite resemblance to James Hewitt, Di's lover. Perhaps this is why he doesn't feel a part of the 'in-crowd'.  Wills looks like his father, mother, uncles and grandfather. No probs there...and he married the right girl, one who was willing to conform.

They are an interesting study for a psychologist or writer.

Geek

Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:32pm
You don’t have to be Piers Morgan to not like liars much ! Archie is too far down the line of succession to be given the title Prince, something both Harry and Meghan are well aware of. To try to imply racism is involved is a pretty low act. As for the money they have to produce something worth watching on Netflix to get paid and their first Spotify podcast got outrated by whale noise so they have to build their brand for the Yank audience.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:33pm
Prince Harry Prince Philip

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:36pm

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
He also bears a resemblance to the younger Charles Spencer, his uncle and also a ranger.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

He also bears a resemblance to the younger Charles Spencer, his uncle and also a ranger.

who is not related to Chuck.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>