Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Jamie Richards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jamie Richards
    Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:13pm
How good is the fella going?

He's got 13 Group 1s out of Melody Belle, now 8 out of Avantage and these two are undoubtedly 2nd and 3rd seeds in the stable behind Probabeel.

I believe he is 31 and now sitting on 41 Group 1 wins? Will he try his hand in Aus one day or continue to do as he is doing?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:17pm
With his record he'd have to be thinking about it.  Unless he likes the laid back style.  Also he might just like his homeland.  Which state would he go too (if he came) do you think.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
Would think it would have to be Sydney or Melbourne if he did, surely?

Your probably right, he may be happy just to stay at home and just target the carnivals over here with his stars, Murray Baker style. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:32pm
Mr Ellis is very persuasive methinks , there's no place like home Smile trip over the ditch ain't far , appears bright young lad , GL to him.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:38pm
I think you are right Carioca.

If he came to Australia, I am not sure Ellis would like his NZ horses being overseen by the foreman, he wants the main man at home, that is why Jamie stayed home last autumn when covid just hit and he had Melody Belle and the Shark in Sydney. 

If he stays in NZ he could push the 100 group 1 mark over the next 20 years.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:42pm
I suspect your both right, I guess why change what works?

Melody Belle, Avantage and Probabeel alone could give him 30 or more G1s by the time the dust settles, so it's obviously working well!
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:49pm
Is it against the rules to have stables here and in NZ?

Moroney seems to get around it with his set up.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
No not against the rules. and Moroney has got stables in Melbourne and NZ.

I suspect that in reality the Bakers set up Bjorn at Warwick Farm as a satellite, but they put it in Bjorn's name as he will be around long after dad has retired.

I am just thinking that if Richards sets up in Australia, Ellis will look to another trainer to run Te Akau stable, unless Ellis himself sets up a breeding and racing property in NSW or Victoria himself.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Red Hare Red Hare wrote:

Is it against the rules to have stables here and in NZ?

Moroney seems to get around it with his set up.
I think G. Rogerson did too , but then again Roggy would get around the Queen . Smile
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:04pm
Hot shot young trainer had a field day at Ellerslie yesterday , training 5 winners on a 10 race card , has a very smart Savabeel filly won 4 from 6 with 2nds , Amarelinha out of another O'Reilly mare in Hopscotch , hope she comes over for Sydney , Rocket Spade ( Fastnet Rock X Affairsoftheheart by Fu Peg. won the NZ Derby 2400 might see him too .
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:10pm
While they have said Amarelinha would be coming to Sydney I think when/if now depends on performance in the NZ Oaks on 20th.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 2:45pm
Thanks Horlicks , noted , I'm a fan of the Savabeel fillies .Star
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:15pm
They pre-race tested over there on Sunday, it doesn't happen very often sadly, so there is very little credence to any result from that jurisdiction. The Pattern committee are kidding themselves if they acknowledge those results......bloody ridiculous.

Richards had a positive to morphine, poppy seeds apparently, but after the cobalt cattle in the troughs debacle with Wexford Stables there is little or no credibility with NZ racing.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:18pm
However that said his horses successfully compete in Australia under different testing regimes.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:36pm
Entriviere being aimed at the Group 2 Sapphire at Randwick on April 10
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:46pm
Gee Carioca, you even posted in this thread LOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:32pm
LOLLOL shoulda looked both ways Confused oh well ..it happens. Smile
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:49pm
Just blame the memory mate LOL

Thought I'd help the mods out by bumping the existing one and saw your posts and couldn't resist the chance for a little dig Wink

Many thanks Afros, it does help when we're alerted early enough to move a handful of posts Thumbs Up

Edited by Gay3 - 08 Mar 2021 at 7:19pm
Seeing Manchester United relegated would mean more than words can describe to me.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

However that said his horses successfully compete in Australia under different testing regimes.

He was being interviewed during a 'visit' here a wee time ago, ''I have to be careful over here'' was one line he used....a little Freudian slip perhaps?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 4:02am
No problems Gay!

Anyone else looking forward to Saturday and the clash of the 2nd and 3rd best mares in his yard in the Bonecrusher?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

He was being interviewed during a 'visit' here a wee time ago, ''I have to be careful over here'' was one line he used....a little Freudian slip perhaps?
He may well have meant the trivial things trainers used to put on very insignificant wounds like eurythmic blue or penetrine even ante- flo , never gave them a second thought once but not now , remember Peter Moody's scratching several years ago for a rubbish application on shins , take him at face value Bonjour LOL the times have changed .
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
I wish I could Carioca, but NZ is the most failed racing nation on the planet, their stud book isn't worth the effort anymore, their administration is worse than QLD and that takes some doing, when their TAB owed their GOV nearly 70 mil and still owes 50 mil+ and could only keep trading with a 70mil injection by the GOV, no or little pre-race testing and with NO chance of paying their debt off, no transparency and no credibility the place stinks to high heaven.
The coal face people are suffering terribly, they envy us over here, why are 600K kiwi's in Oz for? no more, more like 700K now, because the place is a contradiction in terms, the shaky Isles? that's a massive understatement, it's more than shaky.......if you want a good read Carioca, the only journalist with the gonads to write the truth is Brian de Lore.....read his opine on www.theoptimist.site and read the archives, it might take you a day or two to come up to speed, but by god it will make you weep. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 11:20am
Yes I get your drift Bonjour and its sad that such a great racing nation has been allowed to fall so far down when looking at the overall scheme of things , I remember reading not that long ago an old TAB prospectus ( early 60s ) that NZ was on a par with us prizemoney wise in the mid fifties ( hard to imagine ) , the breeding industry seems buoyant , the economy ticking along ok , just seems racing side of things have been stagnating for so long , before I let you go just a little story on what you can't/can use now as against yesteryear , in 1970 a trainer called Bob Heasley brought a gray horse over for the Melbourne Cup , he used my boss's stripping stalls at the track early mornings and I got to know him well , a week before the cup I mentioned to him that just be a bit careful how you use that green ointment on your horses " greasy heel " ( Baghdad Note was a grey ) and that ointment left a telltale stain on his back pasterns and it contained prednisolone , no probs. he said , of course the old grey won the cup , swabbed all clear , try doing THAT today LOL , cheers mate.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Yes I get your drift Bonjour and its sad that such a great racing nation has been allowed to fall so far down when looking at the overall scheme of things , I remember reading not that long ago an old TAB prospectus ( early 60s ) that NZ was on a par with us prizemoney wise in the mid fifties ( hard to imagine ) , the breeding industry seems buoyant , the economy ticking along ok , just seems racing side of things have been stagnating for so long , before I let you go just a little story on what you can't/can use now as against yesteryear , in 1970 a trainer called Bob Heasley brought a gray horse over for the Melbourne Cup , he used my boss's stripping stalls at the track early mornings and I got to know him well , a week before the cup I mentioned to him that just be a bit careful how you use that green ointment on your horses " greasy heel " ( Baghdad Note was a grey ) and that ointment left a telltale stain on his back pasterns and it contained prednisolone , no probs. he said , of course the old grey won the cup , swabbed all clear , try doing THAT today LOL , cheers mate.

Champion post Carioca, Thank You!
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Bonjour Bonjour wrote:

NZ - ... read his opine on www.theoptimist.site and read the archives, it might take you a day or two to come up to speed, but by god it will make you weep. 

When I was reading about NZ it only enforced what the TOBA over there has to do survive and that is export, export and export because there is no real reason to try and keep afloat in the country.

But you can't do this forever because one day you just might end up with only sheep to export and the horses left may not be worth the effort.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 6:46am
The've already reached that point Bro, the trial fields are massive and the race fields, well lets say not so much. A Gr1 [joke] 2yo race there on SAT next, 4 noms!!!! The management are on huge salaries and are ex pat Ozzies that must be laughing all the way to the bank. Personally I wouldn't employ either of those two, but that might be me.........you'd only be there for the money, unless you have no conscience, whoever heard of the racing industry owing a massive debt like they do and yet swan about thinking they have first world privileges. .......they are a feeder for ASIA and Oz......it's all they'll ever be.
 Post Reply Post Reply