Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 90>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:39pm
They are pretty good though. The 2 most successful sides of the last decade are clubs that develop their own talent.

Dont buy truckloads of big Pommie lugs to try to win Premierships.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 6:47pm
 one of those clubs poaches talent from Souths...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:00pm
El cheapos both.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:01pm
You cant ''poach'' players that are being looked after and are happy where they are.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Where does the Gladiator hide his?
In his Glad bag I presume . Smile

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:13pm
Remember many years ago Wagga was a feeder club for Wests , known as the Wagga Magpies a number of good footballers went up to steak & kidney to try out , Arthur Summonds and Keith Holman both wonderful captains for us , Maitland and surrounding areas fed North Sydney , " Bandy Adams and Brian Carlson both top notches , so how are Brisbane going to field a second team when they can't get one to show some grunt now ?
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The only time Melbourne rorted was when they were so good at finding and developing superstars they couldn't afford them all. They don't buy superstars, they grow them. Have they made a superstar signing since Glen Lazarus?

Oh, I see that makes the rotting okClap
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:32pm
It was reported in the Daily Murdoch that the Broncos had dibs on Sam Walker until they didn't allow his father in the room for negotiations then told 16yo Sam he wouldn't be a halfback.

Any truth to that? Seems fanciful to me for a few obvious reasons. Would keeping your father out of the room when you are 16 even be legal? Would any father put up with that? Unlikely. Walker would have been jockey sized when he was 16. Hard to imagine anybody thinking he could be anything but a halfback.

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:35pm
Similar to the reasons the cowboys lost Ponga
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:47pm

Brisbane's Courier Mail revealed recently that when Ipswich junior Walker was weighing up offers from the Roosters and Broncos, the two pitches could not have been more different. This is for a player who Billy Slater just said is a decade-long Maroons No.7.

The Roosters could not have been more welcoming. The Broncos stuffed him around, first making him reschedule a final-year school exam then barring his parents - including his dad, former Broncos halfback Ben Walker - from the recruitment meeting.

Small problem: Sam Walker couldn't yet drive. Brisbane sent an Uber to fetch him and he spent the drive to the club wondering what on earth was going on. The hour-long meeting, including then-coach Anthony Seibold, was similarly unimpressive and he walked out having decided emphatically to join the Roosters.

"It wasn't too hard a decision to be honest," Walker told The Courier Mail. "I wanted to go to a club where I could play my best football."

He's certainly doing that at the Roosters. The Broncos are unlikely to ever know what he might have done for them

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:07pm
I'm watching Kikau tonight , I have a feeling he's not right , couple of head knocks recently and playing in 20 min. bursts each half , last weeks second half effort way below his best , hope he has a blinder fwiw.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:18pm
Another merciless pounding on the cards here early doors at Penrith. No lube being used tonight by the looks of it. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I'm watching Kikau tonight , I have a feeling he's not right , couple of head knocks recently and playing in 20 min. bursts each half , last weeks second half effort way below his best , hope he has a blinder fwiw.
Better first half , some nice runs , might be on the up.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 7:32am
Suspect that the Broncos still think saying "we are the Broncos" is all they need to do to stop kids signing elsewhere, however like an ageing former pants man the old tricks simply don't work any more.

This isn't a recent development with the club either, Cameron Smith, Daly Cherry Evans, Cooper Cronk and Jonathan Thurston all grew up in the Broncos backyard and didn't even get a development contract out of the club.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:33am
Why would anyone be keen to sign at the Broncos currently? Especially a young player. They want to be with winners and the Broncos are anything but. They are in disarray and it will take them a while to change that. Going to be a couple more lean years yet I suspect. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:32am

The incredible team Brisbane Broncos could have had if superstar players weren't lost

1. Kalyn Ponga - Currently with Knights. Held a Broncos junior scholarship.
  2. Xavier Coates - Currently with Broncos. Reportedly signed with Storm.
  3. Kotoni Staggs - Currently with Broncos. Signed until 2025.
  4. Kurt Capewell - Currently with Panthers. Played for Broncos NYC team.
  5. Dane Gagai - Currently with Rabbitohs. Sacked by Broncos.
  6. Cameron Munster - Currently with Storm. Was in Broncos junior system.
  7. Sam Walker - Currently with Roosters. Broncos botched recruitment.
  8. Payne Haas - Currently with Broncos. Signed until 2024.
  9. Harry Grant - Currently with Storm. Wanted to play for Broncos but overlooked.
  10. Lindsay Collins - Currently with Roosters. Played for Broncos NYC team.
  11. David Fifita - Currently with Titans. Formerly with Broncos.
  12. Jaydn Su'A - Currently with Rabbitohs. Formerly with Broncos.
  13. Tino Fa'asuamaleaui - Currently with Titans. Was in Broncos junior system.
  14. Reece Walsh - Currently with Warriors. Released by Broncos.
  15. Jai Arrow - Currently with Rabbitohs. Formerly with Broncos.
  16. Tevita Pangai Jr - Currently with Broncos. Signed until 2022.
  17. Tom Flegler - Currently with Broncos. Signed until 2023.
  18. Pat Carrigan - Currently with Broncos. Signed until 2022.
  19. Joe Ofahengaue - Currently with Wests Tigers. Formerly with Broncos.
  20. Tom Dearden - Currently with Broncos. Signed with Cowboys.
  21. Corey Allan - Currently with Bulldogs. Formerly with Broncos.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:07pm
I would be sacking anyone involved in list management at that club
Time is a flat circle
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:04pm
Clearly IMO at this stage of the season Panthers and Storm stand out as the best two sides with the Eels marginally behind, however until Storm can get someone whose goal kicking conversion rate is near to that of the Panthers Nathan Cleary they are, in reality, conceding 6 to 8 points a game to their opposition, and when they get to the pointy end of the season that could cost themselves games.

Cameron Munster is terrible at goal kicking and unless Ryan Papenhuyzen, on his return, is not better Storm will be behind the eight ball.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:09pm
Pap not far behind Cleary in accuracy. When he's back Storm will be winning by 60 and not 50 LOL
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:26pm
Only in Round 9 of 25 Bob, you will go broke picking winners at the 1000m mark, that is why they offer in race betting.

Sides ravaged by injuries wont always be so, sides struggling but perennially finish fast cause upsets and find out pretenders in the last 10 rounds as they start to form combinations. Long way to go yet.

I had thought Parramatta were a definite top 4 side but couldn't put away the Chooks with 9 first graders out till the 75th minute. 

Long way to go yet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:05pm
PT, when the finals come around the $3.25 Panthers and $4.00 Storm for the premiership will be a luxury.

Twilight Payment and Might and Power come to mind as winning The Melbourne Cup leading all the wayWink
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:29pm

Taken off after 62 mins. much better effort and moving freely. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:32pm
He's not hard to spot in running carioca.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:35pm
LOLLOL Yep , like a man in a pink suit and a popcorn machine on his back. Smile
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

PT, when the finals come around the $3.25 Panthers and $4.00 Storm for the premiership will be a luxury.

Twilight Payment and Might and Power come to mind as winning The Melbourne Cup leading all the wayWink
Might be different when SOO comes around Bob .Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:48pm

Taken off after 62 mins. much better effort and moving freely. 

He hurt his neck in an earlier round and was listed in their casualty ward. His brother is in a wheelchair through a spinal infection. Maybe it has made him a bit hesitant. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 3:39pm
Thanks mate , I have been impressed with this blokes footy from last season , but about a month ago I had a feeling things weren't right , this may well be the answer , alittle reluctant or hesitant to mixed it , the mind is a powerful thing so I hope he can get on top of it. Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:37pm

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Might be different when SOO comes around Bob .Wink

I was watching NRL 360 last night and two panellists had a go at selecting the upcoming Qld and NSW State of Origin sides. The NSW side had 3 Storm players selected , but the Qld side had 6 Storm players nominated. If Storm loses 9 of those players during the SOO, they will be undermanned for their games over that period. Carioca , you are correct Storm will be challenged.
Angry
As a Victorian, I was not brought up on Rugby League, and I wonder why SOO plays such a big part each season in NRL, where clubs lose their best players to play for either Qld or NSW . Is SOO more important to a player than a club premiership ? 

And while I am at it, why can players nominate the team they will play for in the next year's season, whilst still playing for their current team rather than at the end of the season ? Where does their loyalty lie ?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:46pm
The way NRL players sign contracts a year ahead of moving is extremely weird, bizarre and preposterous.Wacko Doesn't happen in any other sport anywhere in the world to my knowledge. But I have not noticed a drop in performance from players in the period before the move.

Simon Cameron

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 12:58pm
It happens regularly in the EPL and EU. players coming to the end of contracts and managers testing the market for the best deal for themselves and their contracted players .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 90>