Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 90>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:39pm
 be interesting to see the reshuffled backline, next week.

Liam Knight should start a long walk into the sunset...giving away six more on the fifth just adds to his long list of blunders...

The joke is...the Storm are just ad-libbing...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:43pm
Wow! What a carve up! And Ado-Carr with 6! Kinda wish I’d watched it. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:55pm
 was a good match...for foxy people...

exposed Souths weaknesses, despite the missing players.

Anyone who thinks moving the best playmaker in the team from his normal position, is sane, is living in Disneyland.

It also proved that Cam Murray is our entire defence...

Reynolds should be signed for three years, by midnight, tonight...and...

stray elbows and four week's suspension are more costly than you think...

Broken Heart
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:26am
You don't get beat 50-0 because your 6 is playing 1 JJ, or because your main 1 was out suspended.

Even the Bulldogs put 18 points on this side when going for 52.

Pretty sure nobody who's conceded 50 has gone on to win the comp that season, it was talked about after Souths did it to the Roosters last season, so I guess we can put a line through Souths now?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:40am
I didn't watch the game but switched to 9 after 10pm to get the result. I see Bennett looking extremely relaxed and comfortable eating a curry in the change room. Crikey, Souths must have won I think.Shocked Turn off tv not knowing score. Find out on news this morning they lost 50-0.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:43am
Yes, Wayne knew what was coming so it’s easy to relax 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:51am
I read somewhere that the most the Storm have paid someone they signed from another club on the initial contract is $300,000.

Simon Cameron

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:04am
Depending which contract they are referring to. The one lodged with the NRL or the one hiding in some random filing cabinet 

Or boats suddenly appearing In driveways 
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:07am
8 tries from wingers most so close to touch in goal they needed the bunkers microscope.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 8:21am
RIP Roosters great Bunny Reilly.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

You don't get beat 50-0 because your 6 is playing 1 JJ, or because your main 1 was out suspended.

Even the Bulldogs put 18 points on this side when going for 52.

Pretty sure nobody who's conceded 50 has gone on to win the comp that season, it was talked about after Souths did it to the Roosters last season, so I guess we can put a line through Souths now?

I was being facetious in most part of my comment.

The (lack of) defence has been highlighted in recent games...most notably in the Titans game where several of our forwards gave Fifita directions to the tryline.  About time a few were shifted on...Knight, Nichols in particular. 

But we had no attack without Reyno, or Cody in his normal position. 

The Storm actually didn't play all that well. As I said, they seemed to 'ad-lib' a lot of their attacking play...and we didn't have a clue how to combat it.

We were never going to win the comp with the forwards we have. They lack creativity.  We depend on Walker setting up or scoring tries and Reyno's boot keeping us in the contest.  Mitchell was never going to be the magic cure to get us over the final line. We need some forwards with 'mongrel', who intimidate other teams. 

I've been watching league for sixty years. It's easy to pick the eventual winner and it was never going to be us, this year.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:47am
Storm have scores of 40, 52, 20, 42, 40 and 50 their last 6 games.

Only a solid defensive game beats the Storm this year. Eels kept them to 12, Panthers to 10.

The gap from contenders to everyone else is astronomical this year.
Time is a flat circle
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:08pm
Disappointed myself with this performance last night , trying to fathom the reason they bid for the young bloke that went to roosters but haven't got enough to keep Reynolds , suggested months ago Thompson from the Bulldogs would be a good fit for this club but didn't go down too well , I wouldn't say storm playing ad- lib , just playing creative and " mixing it up " as they have been in the past , good players imo have good reflexes and when the time comes creative play comes to the fore , there are some young ones this team need to let go imho.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:18pm
Whilst the Eels and the Panthers kept Storm to those low scores they only scored 16 & 12 against Storm in rounds one and three both in Sydney Let's see how they go against Storm now they have hit their straps when they play in Melbourne at AAMI Park.

As for rorting the salary cap, what baloney, players want to play for Storm to escape the Sydney Bubble and for Storm's culture, unlike some of those Sydney clubs where every week there is another scandal.

In twenty four years only four players who have played for Storm were born in Victoria, that tells you something don't you think.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:24pm
It tells you Bob that rugby league has never been " deep seated " in the state of Vic. your tongue in cheek LOLLOL post will only get a little nibble , more burely old boy. Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:36pm
What a team since joining NRL in 1998 .

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/about/storm-history/
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:41pm
Bobby I'm starting to enjoy your enthusiasm for the storm but I'm also thinking your a " front runner. " Smile
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Whilst the Eels and the Panthers kept Storm to those low scores they only scored 16 & 12 against Storm in rounds one and three both in Sydney Let's see how they go against Storm now they have hit their straps when they play in Melbourne at AAMI Park.

As for rorting the salary cap, what baloney, players want to play for Storm to escape the Sydney Bubble and for Storm's culture, unlike some of those Sydney clubs where every week there is another scandal.

In twenty four years only four players who have played for Storm were born in Victoria, that tells you something don't you think.
In 24 years, how many times have the NRL audited the real contracts of all the players?

They were literally told where the real one were,when they caught them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:00pm
Rusty, typical sour grapes from you for a non- Sydney team having success in the NRL, unlike when Sydney Swans and Brisbane Bears had equivalent success in the AFL they were embraced by all supporters of Aussie Rules.

Surely any NRL fan wants the game to grow outside of NSW & Q'ld, rather than bagging the growth of the sport outside of those states by Storm's phenomenal success.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:12pm
 no-one is bagging the growth in Melbourne.

Just stating that they cheat with the salary cap...as do Brisbane and the Roosters...

This is the lowest-key team the Storm have had, but Bellamy knows how to get the best out of them.

He is a confidence coach...

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:12pm
You made a point that any suggestions that the Storm rort the salary was baloney.

I merely pointed out that history suggests otherwise....

You seem to struggle with facts :)
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 2:14pm
 I'd rather the Storm win the GF than any Sydney team but my own...

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:04pm
Gotta admit I was a big fan of Glen Lazarus ( aka the brick with eyes LOL ) tough reliable durable and genuine , similar to big Norm Proven and his mate Kevin Ryan and a Souths captain from yesteryear Jack Rayner , ya don't forget them blokes imo. Star
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:06pm
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 2002

In 2002, the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs were fined the maximum of $500,000 and deducted all 37 premiership points received during the season after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap totaling $2.13 million over the past three years, including $750,000 in 2001 and $920,000 in 2002; these were described by NRL Chief Executive David Gallop as "exceptional in both its size and its deliberate and ongoing nature". The points penalty meant that the club won the 2002 wooden spoon (South Sydney would have finished last if not for the breaches), and as the club had been leading the competition table prior to the imposition of the penalties, this was a shattering outcome for the club and its fans.

New Zealand Warriors 2005

In 2005, the New Zealand Warriors were fined $430,000 and were ordered to start the 2006 season with a four premiership point deficit and cut their payroll by $450,000 after club officials revealed that their former management had exceeded the salary cap by $1.1 million over the last two years. The points penalty meant that the Warriors missed a finals berth in 2006.

Melbourne Storm 2010

The Melbourne Storm salary cap breach was a gross breach of salary cap over a period of five years. The NRL's discovery of these breaches in 2010 resulted in the Storm being fined a record $1.689 million, stripped of the 2007 and 2009 premierships, the 2006, 2007 and 2009 minor premierships and the 2010 World Club Challenge, and ordering them to play for zero points, effectively sentencing them to finish the 2010 NRL season (of which 75% was still to be played) with the wooden spoon.

Parramatta Eels 2016

The Parramatta Eels were fined $1 million and stripped of their 2016 NRL Auckland Nines title after they were found to be over the salary cap by over $500,000. On 3 May they were stripped of the 12 NRL competition points they had earned up until then, and were not allowed to earn any further points until they fell back under the cap.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 2018
In 2018, Manly were fined $750,000 and two of the club's officials received 12 month bans after the NRL found that they had breached the salary cap over the previous five seasons. The breaches involve 15 players over five years, totalling $1.5 million. Unlike Parramatta and other teams who have breached the salary cap, Manly did not receive any competition points deduction.

Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 2019

In February 2019, Cronulla were fined $750,000 for salary cap breaches dating back to 2013, although $500,000 of that was suspended due to the club self-reporting a discrepancy in 2017. It was reported that Cronulla were over the salary cap between 2013 and 2017 but the club's 2016 premiership victory was declared by the NRL as compliant.

The NRL first launched an investigation into alleged salary cap breaches back in 2017 when former Cronulla CEO Barry Russell self reported a $50,000 payment to forward Chris Heighington that was unearthed by former NRL salary cap auditor Jamie L’Oste-Brown shortly after he joined the club.

The investigation also discovered that premiership winning coach Shane Flanagan had contravened the rules of his suspension by communicating with staff dating back to 2014. As a result, Flanagan was de-registered by the NRL.

And that's just the big ones.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:30pm
I dont see the Eastern Suburbs Roosters in that list.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:37pm
 Uncle Nick has the real Rooster contracts hidden in his underground bunker, back under the old City Ford building.

I've seen that bunker...

Thumbs Down

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:39pm
Where does the Gladiator hide his?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 4:04pm
The only time Melbourne rorted was when they were so good at finding and developing superstars they couldn't afford them all. They don't buy superstars, they grow them. Have they made a superstar signing since Glen Lazarus?

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 4:12pm
Brett Finch.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 4:14pm
And another ex Roosters and SOO player Mick Crocker?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 90>