Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

NRL 2021

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 90>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:31pm
Never said he didn’t deserve some punishment 

JWH got nine by the way
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Never said he didn’t deserve some punishment 

JWH got nine none by the way
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 9:01pm
 glad you cleared that up...I didn't remember the teddy bear ever going for a long spell

Confused
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 6:33pm
 I see 'Trell has put in a complaint to police about racial vilification...

The South Sydney Rabbitohs are fully supportive of the action taken by Latrell Mitchell following the arrests of two individuals who allegedly racially vilified him via social media.

“Racism is absolutely abhorrent and has no place in our game or society in general,” Rabbitohs CEO Blake Solly said.“We fully support Latrell’s decision to refer the abuse to the NSW Police. Latrell has shown great courage in taking this position, and I would encourage other NRL players who are subject to abuse of this nature to do the same thing.”

Mitchell will hold a media conference on Monday 26 April, details of which will be distributed on Sunday 25 April.  The Club and Mitchell will be making no further comment until that conference. We would ask that the Mitchell’s privacy be respected until the media conference.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 6:58pm
Well,  if we listened to Gus and Co the other night the only thing on Latty,s mind was his father,s health ?   Dashed from the field to rush home blah blah blah.

animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 10:44pm
 There you go...Cody played fullback (I still think it's not the best solution) and we miraculously won, after two of the most embarrassing tackling efforts against David Fifita. Nichols and Knight gave him directions to the tryline in his second score. 

Benji had a field day...a few mistakes, but...with Cam Murray's assistance...was mostly responsible for the comeback. 

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:23am
Exactly as I predicted would happen JJ Thumbs Up

Even as a Tigers fan, it is good to see Benji having a career swansong showing what he can do in a good side.  He wouldn't have had that sort of game this season, had he stayed at the Tigers.  He could actually be the player to push Souths over the hump and win another comp, not as a week to week starter but his x-factor off the bench in a tight finals game will be a big plus.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Benji could be the buy of the season.

Looking good so far.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:03pm
Looks and played like a contented man who's found a new lease of life , a good coach can do that , the softly softly approach , " thanks boss , I enjoyed it out there " well done Benji . Clap
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 2:40pm
Spot on Carioca 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 5:23pm
This 6 again rule has to be revised or trashed. Every side is exploiting it now. On the first tackle you steal the ball. If it comes off great, if it doesn't you are only penalised one tackle. No disincentive. 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 4:55am
I see we are revisiting the conference system again, fiddlesticks.

Am I a few cans short of a six pack, or are those in positions of power, totally devoid of intelligence?

The NFL is a true national competition. It has locations, and teams based in these locations, with over a million viewers and potential attendees. It has a ownership structure which lends itself to not relying on meat raffles down at the leagues club to stay afloat, and it has three time zones worth of matches every Sunday.

The NRL is not a national sport. It has only four locations which have the potential for large viewers and attendees and one of those locations has nine teams sharing one location. The NRL have no ownership structure, or if they do it is one built on a house of cards. And the NRL still have no idea that adding Perth, and another time zone match, is more valid than trying to ask non-Bronco fans in Brisbane to support a second Brisbane team. 

This system is only being announced to allow all the Sydney based teams to remain in the NRL.

If you do not place the current Sydney teams in the NSW Cup competition and form four new Sydney teams in the top level competition, then any changes you make are only artificial and worthless, and will in fact destroy the sport more than not changing anything.

Any person who thinks a conference or relegation type system will work in the NRL is as bad as John Ribot and his chums who thought super league would become the biggest sport in China and the US.

Anyway good luck with this restructuring because it will not fix anything that is wrong with the game.   

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:25am
A conference system with two 9 team conferences would help even things up, play your own conference twice and other one once each season however the structure of the conferences is as brain dead as it could be, half the competition flying everywhere from Melbourne to NZ to Townsville while the other half only leave home 4-5 times a season, definitely drafted up by those who still think the NRL is an extension of the old Sydney comp.

Also on a second Brisbane team, I disagree that it wouldn't work Voyager, however they have to create a point of difference between the new side and the Broncos, if they make the new side play at Lang Park because 'GREAT RUGBY LEAGUE VENUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' then they are destined to fail because they are no more accessible to fans than the Broncos and would become 'Broncos lite'.  Ultimately I think growth area's like Moreton Bay region/Sunshine Coast and the western corridor between Brisbane and Ipswich are both potential expansion area's however the new side have to be based locally, if they play at Lang Park they won't attract new fans, if they played at say, Dolphin Oval, they provide a closer to home NRL option for those in the Northern Brisbane/Sunshine Coast region.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 8:21am

This 6 again rule has to be revised or trashed. Every side is exploiting it now. On the first tackle you steal the ball. If it comes off great, if it doesn't you are only penalised one tackle. No disincentive. 

This is why the rule is a joke. Totally bone-headed enforcement. Simple solution - if tackles zero, 1, 2 or 3 then give a penalty, if 4, 5 or 6 then it’s 6-again. Still need to use some discretion when in penalty goal range and a scoreline that would lend itself to a penalty goal attempt. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:38pm

"Am I a few cans short of a six pack, or are those in positions of power, totally devoid of intelligence?"

The latter is the answer. 

Seriously, this would lead to a 'grand final/ superbowl' style finish to the season, with no chance of two Sydney teams possibly competing against each other...or no two non-Sydney teams in the final stoush. 

a total garbage idea.

Thumbs Down 
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:52pm
Heard a rumor from the V'Landy's camp the Grand Final might next year be played on the very same day and at the same time as the AFL finale.

And that the winner would be in receipt of $5m, interstate fans would have their travel and accommodation paid by the NRL  And needles to say the match would comprise four 25 minute quarters plus time on as is the case with AFL. 

Who would've thought?  Shocked
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 7:57pm
ps and that the whole GF promo would be rebranded the "Everest Up You AFL". 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:33pm
Looking forward to this game , there'll be plenty of niggle from the " angry ants " raiders imo Smile I'm thinking they may be in front at half time , after that the famous Souths finish will see a compitulation with the bunnies winning by 8 points , nothing like " throwing it out there " imo. LOLLOL
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:42pm
And if I was Ricky LOLLOL i would have " I wanna get physical" blaring out over the PA to add a bit o spice. Smile
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Heard a rumor from the V'Landy's camp the Grand Final might next year be played on the very same day and at the same time as the AFL finale.

And that the winner would be in receipt of $5m, interstate fans would have their travel and accommodation paid by the NRL  And needles to say the match would comprise four 25 minute quarters plus time on as is the case with AFL. 

Who would've thought?  Shocked

If true, V'Landy's is up to his old tricks, kite flying. 

AFL is the national game played in every Australian state, NRL is played in 3 states & ACT. How does PV think television ratings would be with both GF clashing ?

100/1 concession, money back if NRL even poses the question.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 11:25pm
if Souths let Reynolds go, they're totally nuts. 

The guy is a freak...

I've only seen one better kicker...and he wore cardinal and myrtle as well. He was so good they changed the point system to negate his influence...the very great Eric Simms.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 11:46pm
still not sold on Walker at fullback. 

He wasn't seen much at all in the first half, then had a bit of each-way in the second half...set up some tries but looked fragile on his own in defence.

Lucky those last couple of decisions went against Canberra.

Ermm
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 7:26am
I don't get why they'd let him go either JJ, he's got the best in play kicking game in the NRL currently, he's calm, he isn't afraid to take the line on, he's durable and he's won a premiership.  It's crazy that he hasn't got a dozen or more blue jerseys stashed in the back of the wardrobe really.

He's also only turning 31 in July and played 212, meaning if they give him the 3 year deal he is chasing he'll still only be 34 in the final season of the deal and potentially on the precipice of 300 career games by the finish of the final season, hardly numbers that scream finished for a half back even at the end.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:29am
 surely LM hasn't monopolised all the salary cap...

who the hell do they think is going to replace Reynolds?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:29am
Does Souths have a coach next year? 

Maybe Reynolds will be Wayne's new Darius Boyd.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:33am
Maybe they will both be Redcliffe Dolphins in 2023.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:33am
going separate ways...

There really should be an exemption from the salary cap for juniors of clubs who have played ten years.

We have teams who everyone knows rort the salary cap, yet Souths seem to have to struggle to keep players.

Angry
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 9:55am

Maybe they will both be Redcliffe Dolphins in 2023.
& onto the Byron Bay Red Devils after that  Wink
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

if Souths let Reynolds go, they're totally nuts. 

The guy is a freak...

I've only seen one better kicker...and he wore cardinal and myrtle as well. He was so good they changed the point system to negate his influence...the very great Eric Simms.

Great kicker that he was - his stats would not hold a candle to those of the modern era. I know , i know....different ball, different styles, different conditions. It is a shame in all sport when great sporting performances of yesteryear are diminished by new equipment / modified environments / modified rules OuchOuch
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

How good are my Panthers going ! Will lose no more than 2 games in the regular season  - that's my pre-season prediction. Maybe too many young guns - i mean that Burton has class written all over him - yet cant get a run in his preferred position. Similar situation with a few of the forwards - & we have still got quality guys out injured to come back. And the 2 wingers - fantastic (bring totally different skills to the team). Oh its a worry LOL 
Looks as if i have sold my mighty Panthers short. Go you good things Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 90>