Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Breeding Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Inglis Classic 2021 Discussion Page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 5:21pm
Well will slip in and say Lot 477 appears heavy topped in the still shot particularly as he'll grow more up front, but then not so much in the parade video.  Would also like to have seen more of his walk from front on, however he possibly doesn't actually know how to walk just yet.  However in essence I very much like him.

Now for the possible alternate impressions... Wink  Embarrassed
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 6:45pm
All eyes better than mine SC, cheers
Time is a flat circle
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 7:50am
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

If not too much trouble could I get you to run your eye over 477 Kimberley Mine?

Watch the video and freeze frame at :20 when you're looking at the head on shot.  Then draw a line from its chest straight down through the middle of the knee.  It's noticeably offset in the right front (left side of the image).

When you're looking at its hind end, freeze frame and you can see that the right hind is rotated outwards.

Both hind legs are coming down "square enough", and even taking the offset leg into account the front legs are close to square/not terribly base narrow.  That means its chest has started to fill out.

In the side-on view, if you draw a line straight up through the groove in the cannon bone between the bone and the tendon, and extend that line all the way past the topline, there's about a hand's-breadth between that line and the start of his withers.  That is a quick-and-dirty way to see if a horse will be really heavy on the front end...the closer the withers are to that line = more weight of the horse is in front of the forelegs = that horse will have a harder time getting off the forehand.  This yearling will need training to carry itself (like all horses), but it will have an easier time of it than, say, Storm Cat (on him, the line hits right where his neck joins his withers).

It has a nice energetic walk and seems to have a reasonable disposition.  Despite being obviously bothered by flies, it was still paying attention to the handler.

I like him.  Hopefully he's a good runner for his new owners and everybody goes home happy.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 11:33am
Thanks a bunch. Very much appreciated.
Time is a flat circle
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 2:17pm
Anyone know why this was withdrawn by willow park?

Lot 362: Spirit of Boom/Takanori

centenarytest View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centenarytest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 3:34pm
G'day all - I must say I have learnt a stack from this forum. Highly insightful and very much appreciated Thumbs Up

May I please ask one more round of 'what do you think' with lot 347 (Churchill x Storm Siren). I part bred the colt along with another member of the T'Bred Village team (her name is Storm Siren too, not to be confused with the mare). 

https://inglis.com.au/sales/info/2021+Classic+Yearling+Sale/catalogue/347

Again, I appreciate all the replies. Some very knowledgeable people lurking here Clap

Click to view gallery
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 6:05pm
My first impression of the photo and video was, in engineering terms, "fit for purpose." His conformation is functionally adequate for his intended job of running fast.  ("Adequate" is not a dirty word. Smile )

He appears to have a parrot mouth.  If he can graze or eat hay without trouble and doesn't have issues with bitting, it won't affect him as a performance horse.  It might be a consideration for some if he goes to stud.

In the walking video, when viewed from behind you can see his right hind leg swinging out to the side of his body.  He's not paddling in-then-out, the foot goes under the body and lands wide.  It's hard to tell anything from the head-on video because he's not going straight for the camera.  He MIGHT be paddling in a little bit with the left front -- again, that may be an illusion from the camera angle.

He has some undermuscling on his neck.  Training will address that.  His neck attachment itself looks fine, so I'm going to ascribe this to an untrained baby not using its body like a well-trained older horse will do.

Finally, as one would reasonably expect with both Storm Cat and Unbridled's Song in his pedigree, he has a very large shoulder even as an immature horse.  This isn't a bad thing, but it is a thing to be aware of. It won't make a different on race day with minimalist jockey tack on.  In training, having people be mindful about saddle fit (especially as his topline develops) will make him a happier horse.

Functionally adequate conformation on a well-bred, early-looking colt -- nicely done, hope his new owners are happy with him.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 6:56pm
Not at all excited about him to be honest, no neck, walk all over the place, tubby, not real athletic.  Probably biased because I also can't hack Unbridled's Song down-under let alone Excites and Danewin as broodmare sires.

So hearty congrats on getting $160k for him largely on the basis of his very nice page.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 8:45pm
Nice focused eye , I like his demeanor , I think he has intelligence which helps a lot if he wasn't slightly parrot mouthed , he would probably  be more sought after , in the end looks mean little, looks don't win races , head ,heart,lungs ,wind assage , count for a lot and that is hard to see from a photo , he seems balanced on his feet , nice shoulder angle match's well with pastern angle , stifle a tad straight .
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021 at 10:32pm
Does that over muscling on underside of neck correlate to the dip in front of his wither? Ewe neck.
Plenty of good points, compact, workmanlike, looks durable. 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2021 at 8:35pm
Good balanced body, good timber. Can't come at that neck. Therefore a pass from me & all credit to the vendor
centenarytest View Drop Down
Foal
Foal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centenarytest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2021 at 10:25am
That you all - some very interesting points from which I've learnt a lot. Fascinating going back through top lots applying some of the points you raise. 

The great game now rolls on to who we send the mare to this year! 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12