Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

GOLF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:15am
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 11:55am
What happened to Mullet? 64 to 73. 
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 12:06pm
Your not suggesting that market is a "shoe in" PT ?  

Good weather predicted which will help the 2 leaders

Only 24 years old - & only recently beat McIlroy hd/hd in Dubai Open

Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

What happened to Mullet? 64 to 73. 
I told you he was unders Tlaz LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 12:28pm
If he shoots another 64 he will win. 

But he better not.Ouch

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 10:50pm
If a player finishes 80th in the 2022 British Open he still picks up $30,950 which is more than the 25,000 English Pounds Jack Nicklaus got for winning in 1978, then again Dustin Johnson has supposedly received $US150 million to sign on to the rebel LIV Tour.
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:40am
CAMERON SMITH - 2022 Open Champion

He shot 64 in the final round to finish 20 under & win.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:41am
  As I said...the irony of an Aussie winning would be too sweet..

Go the mullet. A worthy champion.

Heart Thumbs Up
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 5:49am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

McIlroy looking a shoe in, now...

Unhappy

Happy to be wrong. 

I thought a few of the commentators were upset that McIlroy didn't win.

Rory looked like he was about to cry.. 

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:09am
 "This one's for Oz."

Bloody oath.  I bet the last Aussie who won is proud a fellow Queenslander kept the flag flying.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 6:15am

Cameron Smith has written his name into Australian sporting folklore with a spectacular comeback victory at the landmark 150th British Open at St Andrews.

With a remarkable five successive birdies to start the back nine, Smith chased down home hope Rory McIlroy to become the first Australian to claim the famous Claret Jug since Greg Norman at Royal St George's in 1993.

Showing nerves of steel, the 28-year-old closed with a record eight-under-par 64 on Sunday to capture his elusive maiden major championship after two near misses at the Masters.

He won by a shot from American Cameron Young, who eagled the last for a 65 to force Smith to hole a clutch two-foot birdie putt to deny the American a four-hole playoff.

McIlroy finished a further stroke back at 18-under following a final-round 70.

Smith's four-round total of 20 under equalled Henrik Stenson's 72-hole Open scoring record and bettered Tiger Woods' record tally at St Andrews in 2000 by a stroke.

Smith is Australia's first men's major winner since Jason Day at the 2015 PGA Championship at Whistling Straits.

His magical triumph came after the Queenslander started the final round four strokes behind Northern Ireland's McIlroy and Norway's Viktor Hovland.

In etching his name in the history books after winning golf's oldest and greatest championship, Smith also becomes the first player to complete The Players-British Open double since the legendary Jack Nicklaus in 1978.

He is Australia's fifth winner of the Open after Norman, who also reigned at Turnberry in 1986, Ian Baker Finch (1991), Kel Nagle (1960) and five-times champion Peter Thomson (1954, 1955, 1956, 1958 and 1965).

Nagle and Thomson are the only other Australians to have won the Open on the Old Course at the home of golf.

But not even those two greats completed victory in such grand style.

Smith's finishing 64 is the lowest final round from an Open champion since Norman at Sandwich in 1993.

Norman, though, was playing a par-70 course and Smith a par-72 championship layout.

After a luckless third round with the putter, when he surrendered a two-shot halfway lead, Smith promised a Sunday birdie blitz in a desperate bid to reel in McIlroy and Hovland.

He dragged the overnight deficit from four shots back to just one after steadily reaching the turn in two under for his round, then jagged three birdies in a row to open the front nine.

But, so stealthy was his back-nine attack, that it wasn't until Smith drained his fourth straight birdie on No.13 to snatch a share of the lead that McIlroy probably even realised he was being hunted down.

If there was any doubt, though, McIlroy would have known after Smith waved his magic wand once again to two-putt for a 25-metre birdie from off the green on the par-five 14th to seize the outright lead.

While McIlroy, like Smith on Saturday, couldn't buy a putt, the Australian produced a brilliant scrambling par save on the treacherous 17th Road Hole to remain in control.

Not even Young's sublime eagle at the last could then deny Smith, who calmly holed out under unbearable tension to break Australia's 29-year Open title drought.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:01am
just to aggravate oneone...

when Greg won The Open, in 1993, I watched him win from the Ramada hotel at the Gold Coast.

When Scotty won the Masters, I watched him win from The Grand Hotel in Melbourne.

Tonight, I am at The Star, watching Cam win. Clap

And when Collingwood won the 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:07am
When Collingwood won the 1990 Grand Final, I watched from the Hyatt, Coolum. 

When they won in 2010, I was at Crown, Melbourne..

When Souths won, in 2014, I watched from Crown Promenade, Melbourne.

It seems it's lucky for me to be in a hotel when someone I want to win, wins.

Evil SmileThumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 7:09am
Cameron Smith's 30 on the back nine is the lowest score over a closing nine holes by a winner of #TheOpen in history
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:20am
And a stand named after him, quite a weekend.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 9:56am

If he shoots another 64 he will win. 

But he better not.Ouch

Inevitable.LOLCry

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:05am
Sounds like Mullet is on his way to the Great White Gummy Tour.Wink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:07am
He jumped on a ''journo'' asking him but didn't deny it could happen.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:09am

This is why I stopped punting - it's bad for my paranoia and persecution complex.Big smile Oh great god of punting - why do you stop my selections when I put money on but give them the strength of Hercules when I don't?Cry

See what I mean - 30 on the back 9 - classic. The only solution is to not even think of having a bet. If I do think of having a bet it can only end in one of two ways, both of them annoying and unpleasant.LOLCry

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 11:58am
Smitty Clap
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm

Sounds like Mullet is on his way to the Great White Gummy Tour.Wink

he dodged the question better than a Langlands side-step...

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:09pm
Duh, I don't what I'm doing.Confused I just play golf and leave everything else to my agent.Beer

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:12pm
Did the stupid alleged journalist really expect him to say yes?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 1:49pm
We should have a thread dedicated to the LIV "Tour" If it was not for the fact it is blood money and the head mouthpiece is Greg Norman I would be 100% behind it.

The PGA Tour has bought golf around the world near enough to it's knees, it has certainly ruined the Australian Summer of GOlf.
reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:01pm
Totally disagree Djebel

Its now much, much easier to win on the Australian PGA tour. You only play against Australians & a few overseas competitors ranked in 10,000's

The fact that you play for a bucket of prawns & a green & yellow table cloth is more the issue LOL  
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:03pm
Tlaz is one of those blokes who should never, ever punt

He could have put his house on Cameron & he'd now have 30 houses. But no, he wants at least 40 houses are more. 

Greedy bastard !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:08pm
Nothing stopping you djebel. Might end up with oneone's 50 threads in the Laundry Basket though.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:21pm
LOLLOLLOLClap
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Nothing stopping you djebel. Might end up with oneone's 50 threads in the Laundry Basket though.
Funny thing about the Laundry Basket - it seems to attract the new members. Not sure what the appeal is ? 

"Longevity" might have something to do with it  LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2022 at 2:31pm
All the best people in the LB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 29>