Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Politically Correct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:43pm
Funny, I used to think exactly that when I was a teenager.

But most people learn as they mature.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:58pm
No rusty, that would be just you luxuriating in a warm inner glow of self-satisfaction, that you are in the vanguard of progressive thinking. In reality, all strong ethnic identification, and encouragement of same, is divisive, because it inevitably leads to under-valuation of those that don't share that background. How could it be otherwise, and it is of course the source of the racism that you have cherry-picked to be the one you despise. You must despise all, or be deemed a racist yourself.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Right-wingnuts do a pretty good line in indignation themselves. Fox/Sky would be dead air without it. What can I be outraged about today?Angry Spend most of their time getting their knickers in a knot over the most trivia things, like this. 

Makes blackfellas feel a little bit better: costs me nothing: win/win.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

No rusty, that would be just you luxuriating in a warm inner glow of self-satisfaction, that you are in the vanguard of progressive thinking. In reality, all strong ethnic identification, and encouragement of same, is divisive, because it inevitably leads to under-valuation of those that don't share that background. How could it be otherwise, and it is of course the source of the racism that you have cherry-picked to be the one you despise. You must despise all, or be deemed a racist yourself.
Huh?

No mate, it’s simple, just live and let live.
Don’t call anyone a black/fat/short ......

The language has changed, and a particular brand name is now identified as crass racist.

Only a racist would object to the owners identifying that, and choosing to make their product more acceptable in the marketplace.

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Is political correctness the same as decency and respect?

That is one of the most astute questions in human history PT Clap

And unfortunately like feminism the answer is no.

Feminism was created to attain an equal share of wages and opportunities, which I think most intelligent people would say is acceptable.

However the movement turned radical, and using the same male characteristics which they were protesting, it turned most of the population against their cause.

These days it is political correctness or social justice which are the causes, which are losing its support.

You see it in the entertainment industry.

If you have an established franchise, such as Star Wars and Star Trek,  and you try to concentrate on social justice and political correctness instead of paying tribute to the 40 year history of the franchise, and the preaching of what we should think, by having weak storylines and even worse acting, then people even franchise fans, will disappear.

Political correctness is like multiculturalism. They only work if the entire population supports it, and when you lose support for either amongst a large number of the population your cause will not succeed!  

A good example of a successful social campaign is the gay rights cause. It took over forty years but eventually in Australia their lifestyle became widespread and the majority of the community were so used to what was happening that they wanted to move on from what seemed a out of date issue.

This is like the whip issue in racing. If the industry gives in to the protestors about that they will not stop protesting until racing is dead and buried. 

If you want to be fully politically correct then we have to change the name of my the suburb in Sydney, Blacktown, the White House, Black Sea, blackholes. 

This issue with the cheese would be offensive to me if my name was Coon. You are saying that my name the one thing that identifies every human is offensive. The people who think the name is offensive are the ones showing racist tendencies because when you see the name you automatically see an offensive word instead of someone's name.

The question was does political correctness equal decency and respect?

The answer is yes, if you argue about the PC issue in a mature, respectful way, without resorting to the exact same actions that you are arguing against. 

However that type of public debating has never been in humanity's instinct so the answer in reality is no PC does not equal decency and respect.    

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 3:57pm
I'm not seeing a campaign to stop people being called fat/ugly/dumb etc the way precious ethnicity must not be mentioned, rusty. I would say this, it is a sure sign of psychological insecurity, for people to want to pump up a particular ethnicity, which by an accident of fate they happen to belong to. It rightly belongs more to the realm of the joke book. 
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:16pm
I remember when the fat/ugly/dumb people were slaves too. What a wild time! 

Or that time the government stole all the fat/ugly/dumb children from their parents.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:29pm
They were slaves to their perceived (by others) shortcomings, TJ, and still are, and I don't see that changing, discrimination being inherent to all human decision making. Chauvinisms of all kinds, and that is what racial identifications are, are a bar to psychological growth, which rusty imagines he has grown into. Think of all those Irish jokes you laughed at, that depend on the prejudice that the Irish are stupid. Shame on you, you are outed as prejudiced on the basis of ethnicity !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:31pm
Paddy is planning to marry, he is, and asks his family doctor how he could tell if his bride-to-be is still a virgin. His doctor says, "Aye, Paddy, all Irish use three things for what we call a Do-It-Yourself.... Virginity Test Kit.... a small can of red paint, a small can of blue paint and a shovel." Paddy asks, "Aye, and what do I do with these things, doctor?" The doctor replies, "Before ye climb into bed on your wedding night, you paint one of your balls red and the other ball blue. If she says, "That's the strangest pair of balls I ever did see...", you hit her with the shovel.'
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:33pm
I believe the modern mania of dividing people up into boxes based on race , sexuality or gender is crazy and just about guaranteed to ensure that not only absolutely nothing practical gets done but causes a lot of resentment . Surely nobody really believes that people of colour are actually deeply offended every time they are in the cheese section at the supermarket or buying their kids lollies. Really?? Society is not made up of white supremacists versus the woke political correct . Both are a tiny but very noisy minority. Most people , no matter their race sexuality or gender , are in the middle and just want a bit of common sense. And actual practical solutions to problems . Changing the brand name of a cheese achieves nothing but is so silly it makes people just switch off and not want to listen about racial problems.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:41pm

They were slaves to their perceived (by others) shortcomings, TJ, and still are, and I don't see that changing, discrimination being inherent to all human decision making. Chauvinisms of all kinds, and that is what racial identifications are, are a bar to psychological growth, which rusty imagines he has grown into. Think of all those Irish jokes you laughed at, that depend on the prejudice that the Irish are stupid. Shame on you, you are outed as prejudiced on the basis of ethnicity !

I'm Irish Big smile
Time is a flat circle
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:43pm
I suspect changing the brand name of a cheese achieved far more than you can care about and it has nothing to do with racism. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:44pm
Spot on, as usual, Baguette, there are niche industries that have grown up around exploiting extremist viewpoints, such is the activist "career" of the chronically (but phonily) offended. The market is those who get off on the idea they are morally superior. Put to the test, they'd be as selfish as anyone else, if not more, people who are at pains to advertise their being "good guys" frequently turn out to be nothing of the kind.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 4:56pm
2020 HSC Clear Thinking exam question 4:  Explain in less than 200 words whether a statement such as "Donald and Boris are total d!ckheads" constitutes an example of political incorrectness at its worst, or rather represents an example of the unalienable right to freedom of expression.

Your time starts now.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 5:13pm
The entire PC industry is predicated on the assumption that people have to be muzzled, or something quite terrible is bound to happen. It is a bankrupt philosophy, if you suppress something like that, it will be expressed in other, quite possibly more damaging ways. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:02pm
Brow beating people into behaving the PC way, does not work, the answer is an education system not only tailored to produce people to fit economic models, but principles of citizenship, something seemingly long abandoned.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:06pm

Brow beating people into behaving the PC way, does not work,

No it doesn’t but it sure makes that brow beaters chest puff out with their sense of superiority and eliteism 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Right-wingnuts do a pretty good line in indignation themselves. Fox/Sky would be dead air without it. What can I be outraged about today?Angry Spend most of their time getting their knickers in a knot over the most trivia things, like this. 

Don't know, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the hand-wringers have instilled into the minds of some young indigenes, let's be kind and say "unwittingly", the notion that it is get-square time, and that has produced casualties, even deaths. In fact, I'd back it in to hot favourite.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

I'm Irish Big smile
OK, well give us your best Irish joke.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:32pm

Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Don't know, I have more than a sneaking suspicion that the hand-wringers have instilled into the minds of some young indigenes, let's be kind and say "unwittingly", the notion that it is get-square time, and that has produced casualties, even deaths. In fact, I'd back it in to hot favourite.
Oh fiddlesticks, why don’t we just drive them all into the ocean, to save all the arguments.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 6:35pm
No rusty, I have no such sentiment, but I am very confident that the get-square mentality is all too real, with some. But that's what happens when you promote racial distinctions. Shouldn't even be under discussion.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:08pm
Very easy for a middle class white person......
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:17pm
So the narrative goes, rusty, but plenty of indigenous people are not in line with the aboriginal industry, which if anything, has only inflamed divisions. Just the other day I was talking to an aboriginal elder, who frankly admitted the elders have little to no influence over the young. This is what happens when you have do-gooder urgers playing up to a sense of grievance, by all means address legitimate grievance, but don't enshrine it as a debt to be kept on the books into perpetuity. Naturally, that is just what the aboriginal industry wants, eternal shame to keep drawing on.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm

Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

I'm Irish Big smile
OK, well give us your best Irish joke.

magadh
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:43pm
No idea what that means, TJ
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:44pm
means joke in Irish
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 7:59pm
Ermm
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm
Here is an Irish Joke

A married Irishman went into the confessional and said to his priest, "I almost had an affair with another woman."

The priest said, "What do you mean, almost?"

The Irishman said, "Well, we got undressed and rubbed together, but then I stopped."

The priest said, "Rubbing together is the same as putting it in. You're not to see that woman again. For your penance, say five Hail Mary's and put $50 in the poor box."

The Irishman left the confessional, said his prayers, and then walked over to the poor box.

He paused for a moment and then started to leave.

The priest, who was watching, quickly ran over to him saying, "I saw that. You didn't put any money in the poor box!"

The Irishman replied, "Yeah, but I rubbed the $50 on the box, and according to you, that's the same as putting it in!"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:23pm

Ermm

Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:35pm

So the narrative goes, rusty, but plenty of indigenous people are not in line with the aboriginal industry, which if anything, has only inflamed divisions. Just the other day I was talking to an aboriginal elder, who frankly admitted the elders have little to no influence over the young. This is what happens when you have do-gooder urgers playing up to a sense of grievance, by all means address legitimate grievance, but don't enshrine it as a debt to be kept on the books into perpetuity. Naturally, that is just what the aboriginal industry wants, eternal shame to keep drawing on.
You call him a coon?

Cos he wouldn’t mind that, if he’s not a loud mouthed activist, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>