Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Politically Correct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 8:37pm
I do have Irish ancestry to some degree, if I was either proud or ashamed of it, I would be pretty silly. I mean, some people are dumb enough to pride themselves on having a convict ancestor, scraping the bottom of the barrel there.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:26pm
I’ve got a few convicts in my family tree, including two Irish convicts. I agree pride is silly but I love their stories. Only one of them was a total waste of space loser. The others did very well for themselves. Though I wish they had showed better foresight for real estate values. One of my ancestors owned five acres of land at Hunters Hill in Sydney. Another owned 100 acres right in the best horse country in the Hunter Valley. Both were sold for a pittance around the time of federation.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:19am
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 9:58am
I too have convict ancestors, and like Baguette I wish they had more real estate sense. LOL  One of mine had 50 acres slap dab in the middle of the Liverpool Plains.  With the option to buy more.  Didnt.  Inherited by a grandson who wasted it away.
Nothing wrong with a convict or a nice bit of Coon Cheese.  When you consider that man,s name was Coon. 
Will they change the name of the racoon and the main coon cat now ????
animals before people.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I’ll admit this guy doesn’t help.....
dressmaker

This is a large part of the problem with indigenous "politics", a dearth of anyone in the ranks who could be called a leader, instead you get pathetic whiners like this bloke. The only aboriginal spokespeople that seem able to be impressive advocates, are women. And I'd say the blokes don't want them leading the way.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
Thats very true Max.  Some of the women are amazing , and make good spokes people and leaders.   Some of the men are pretty dismal.  The women just seem  to be able to speak better , and they see flaws the grumpy old men dont. 

animals before people.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 10:47am
It’s not a problem Max it’s just indicative of Indigenous Society pre-colonial down to the present day. Nobody speaks for indigenous Australians and never have. It’s not the way their society worked . Anyone can stand up and claim to be an Indigenous spokesperson but how many people agree with them and they speak for is anyone’s guess. I’ve always believed if we want to improve things it has to be done at a local level . Local Indigenous elder working with local authorities to sort out their own unique problems.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:29am
Dr Hagen's claims make sense. It does seem odd that an Australian cheese maker would name it's product after an obscure American unknown to Australians.Wink
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:34am
We wanted to ensure we listened to all the concerns surrounding the Coon brand name, while also considering comments from consumers who cherish the brand and recognise the origin of its founder Edward William Coon, which they feel connected to," it said.

Pull the other one.LOL

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:34am
Mr Hagen seems unconcerned about the widespread misuse of the word "maggot" by aboriginals, heard it many times and in many places. Not directed specifically at me, but I've lost count of the times I have heard it used. Must be OK, I suppose, it is probably part of the culture.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:40am
I'd take short odds that back in the day the cheese maker deliberately used what they knew was a racial slur.WinkWink

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:43am
I seem to recall there was reference to that Coon chappy and his cheese-making process on the label, at some stage. I really can't see how a racial slur would assist sales.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:46am
It is a very long time since the "Nigger Boy" soap pads, which was a scourer for dishwashing purposes, was changed to "Bigger Boy". The cheese name is rather less unambiguous.
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
Never heard of those. That's...that's a name..
Time is a flat circle
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:07pm
It is indeed  a racist who thinks the name of a cheese is racist.
I’ve bought the cheese for many years and the thought never crossed my mind
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
They weren't all as enlightened as you back in the 1930s.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
What 
, are you that old?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I seem to recall there was reference to that Coon chappy and his cheese-making process on the label, at some stage. I really can't see how a racial slur would assist sales.

They never would have used that name in Australia if they didn't think it increased sales.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:18pm
The most important thing here that we all seemed to have gotten away from is that Cheer Cheese is a terrible name LOL

Why not just call it CHEESE
Time is a flat circle
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:21pm
This Dr Hagan is a long time litigant.
On top of his successful campaign to rename Coon Cheese to Cheer Cheese, although with that re-naming he is still not happy, back in 1999 he went to Federal Court, then the High Court and finally to the United Nations to rename the E.S. "Nigger" Brown grandstand in Toowoomba. The grandstand was named after a famous non -indigenous rugby player in Toowoomba whose nickname was "Nigger".  He sought $10,000 for "hurt and suffering " over the naming of that grandstand. In 2008 the grandstand was demolished. 
In 2013 he sued the National Indigenous Times for unfair dismissal, that was part of the reason two years later that paper went into administration .
In June 2020, it was reported that Hagan would sue Coles Express  for racial discrimination following an incident at a service station in Townsville where he was asked to pre-pay for fuel. He stated that two white drivers at the same time had not been required to do so
Now in 2021 Dr Hagan is pursuing legal damages of $2.1 million for what he says has been 21 years of corporations undermining his claims that the cheese brand was not named after American cheesemaker Edward William Coon.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:22pm
The aboriginal industry isn't at all enlightened in 2021, as I have mentioned, it has a vested interest in promoting ideas that keep the notion of grievance in the spotlight, the end of grievance is the end of the industry, and the metric I use to assess the state of affairs, is the gravity of the grievances being spotlighted, and they appear to me to have about as much substance ( as with the cheese) as fairy floss. That speaks volumes for the fact that discrimination is not really an issue, and if certain aboriginals are being discriminated against, it is largely, as MLK alluded to, on the content of their character. Only a fool would not perceive that some scoundrels who are out and out criminals, play the race card as their defence. They are being persecuted for being black, and that is what put them in jail. I don't believe police make work for themselves by locking up people who haven't committed crimes, they already have enough to do.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:29pm

Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

The most important thing here that we all seemed to have gotten away from is that Cheer Cheese is a terrible name LOL

Why not just call it CHEESE

Every brand of cheese must have a brand name to distinguish from other brands. Would you just buy beer, without knowing its brand?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:43pm
Not everything is to be taken literally 
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:50pm
Dr Hagan is not sure what the new name, Cheer, stands for. "I would have liked it to be something a bit more inclusive of First Nations people," he said. "We weren’t even consulted on names. We would like to have contributed."
What is this Dr Hagan on about ? The renaming of Coon cheese has nothing to do about the First Nation people, it is cheese nothing more nothing less. The brand name of any product, subject to patents and is not offensive etc , is the sole right of the manufacturer not some organisation , whether they be of religious, activist. political, sporting or whatever group of  "would be"  influencers.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 12:55pm
You could be forgiven for thinking Hagen is a fifth-columnist planted to set the "cause" back 50 years. I would have called the cheese Heeeeeeeyyyy !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

It’s not a problem Max it’s just indicative of Indigenous Society pre-colonial down to the present day. Nobody speaks for indigenous Australians and never have. It’s not the way their society worked . Anyone can stand up and claim to be an Indigenous spokesperson but how many people agree with them and they speak for is anyone’s guess. I’ve always believed if we want to improve things it has to be done at a local level . Local Indigenous elder working with local authorities to sort out their own unique problems.
There certainly wasn't an aboriginal "nation" as such, not at time of white settlement anyway, and that may account for the lack of leadership figures, it would be difficult to gain wide approval. There were great differences between different areas, and limited intercourse between various tribes. I recall reading many years ago of early settlers in FNQ encountering pygmy-size tribes of aboriginals in the dense scrubs, I have never heard anything more about that. I guess the only people who would have cared about their fate, would have been those people, the neighbouring tribes living in more open country, probably were and still are indifferent to them.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Nah! Fake document according to some 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

They never would have used that name in Australia if they didn't think it increased sales.
Supposition. You would have to follow a trail of evidence that in all likelihood no longer exists, to establish what the situation was, it may have been a licenced name and processing method.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 2:40pm
No max, you can just project what you want to be situation onto it and claim it as fact. It’s a TVV traitLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>