Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Politically Correct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Politically Correct
    Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:05am
Well it appears the woke brigade has won over some food manufacturers to re-brand their names as they are considered unacceptable. Coon cheese, named a Mr Coon its original manufacturer in 1935, is to be re-branded as Cheers, this follows on Nestle last year rebranding lollies Redskins as Red Ripper and Chicos as Cheekies  in the midst of the Black Lives Matter protests, even that summertime favourite Eskimo Pie is now known as Edy's Pie.
The next time I drive the inland highway from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, if Dan grants me a permit to travel out of Victoria, I will double check when I travel through Coonabarabran that it has not being renamed Cheersabarabran to satisfy that same woke brigade,

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:06am
Is political correctness the same as decency and respect?
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
It is interesting that Coonawarra, the SA town noted its wine, is an aboriginal word meaning Honeysuckle.

Coon cheese, like Coonawarra, whose derivation has no racial connotation, yet for "decency and respect " in 2021 has been re-branded.

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:20am
You know the current connotation for the word coon.

Insisting what is now an offensive term to be preserved, on the basis that the derivation of the name had no malice, is absurd.

Quoting names of places or products that have those letters within the names, as justification for maintaining the brand name is ridiculous.

We all know what would happen if you called a group of young men coons.
And you would deserve it.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:28am
No argument about calling a group of young men coons, but a brand of cheese or a town, whose derivation had no racial implication that is another matter.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:29am
I have seen mobs of indigenes taunting white people with the term "maggot", rusty, so what's to be done with that ? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:33am
The derivation is meaningless.

The fact that the language has since changed, and is now a totally offensive name is the issue.

As to the other names you quoted, from here they seem harmless.
It’s how they are received there, is the issue.

I saw a poll re the NFL team changing their name, received overwhelming support, so it would seem, it’s not that much different to coon, over there.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
What is the origins of the SURNAME Coon?
the cheese was named after a person.
What if your name is BLACK?
Are you worried?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

I have seen mobs of indigenes taunting white people with the term "maggot", rusty, so what's to be done with that ? 
Then I wholeheartedly support that name not being a brand name for cheese......
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
I thought it was very odd that they kept calling it Coon cheese 40 years ago. The only thing that surprises me about this latest shock to right-wing sensibilities is that it took so long. Was there an economic incentive for the company keeping it? Was it the favourite cheese of white racists?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
It isn't just a case of it not being used as a brand name rusty, but being used at all, so I repeat, what are we to do with the word "maggot", which I have heard used by aboriginals in diverse places and times, and not in reference to fly larvae ?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Those products seemed to have a lot of free promotion due to their "woke" decision perhaps they saw something in it....
reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

It isn't just a case of it not being used as a brand name rusty, but being used at all, so I repeat, what are we to do with the word "maggot", which I have heard used by aboriginals in diverse places and times, and not in reference to fly larvae ?

Really? Where did you last hear it?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:53am
Rusty 99% of the time you're fairly meaningless too. Your selective reasoning behind names including the word COON just reiterates my point. A white European family name should be black-banned forever because your sensibilities are aroused? Aboriginal place names are ok though? Nobody ever suggested changing the name of Wagga either which offends many migrants. Where does it all end? Would you like a tissue while you contemplate things? 

Tlaz you travel closer to 100%.

When was the last time anyone heard someone use the term coon in anger anyway? The late 70's? The ignorance of many to Coon being a genuine family name is just that - ignorance - exactly what some claim is being perpetrated by the owners of the brand.

longevity does not equate to credibility
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:15am
That’s an idiotic response.

In what way is my reasoning selective?

It’s beyond stoopid to suggest any word that has the letters c o o n by happenstance,within their names, should also be banned.

Which migrants are offended by Wagga?

The owners of the brand aren’t victims, they’re changing the name of their own volition.

It’s only redneck racists that object to the change.

They should really keep their rage intact for the really big issues, like why they have to wear a mask.....
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I thought it was very odd that they kept calling it Coon cheese 40 years ago. The only thing that surprises me about this latest shock to right-wing sensibilities is that it took so long. Was there an economic incentive for the company keeping it? Was it the favourite cheese of white racists?

Economics is all you need to know or consider about this. The company couldn’t care less what BaghdadBob or RustyNails of TBV think about the decision. All they care about is HOW MANY Baghdad Bobs and RustyNails there are and how much cheese each of the two groups will buy if they A: leave the name as is or B: Change the name. Whichever results in more sales is the winner. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:45am
I liked Coon mild cheese, but mild cheddar cheese seems almost unobtainable these days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:50am
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Economics is all you need to know or consider about this. The company couldn’t care less what BaghdadBob or RustyNails of TBV think about the decision. All they care about is HOW MANY Baghdad Bobs and RustyNails there are and how much cheese each of the two groups will buy if they A: leave the name as is or B: Change the name. Whichever results in more sales is the winner. 
In due course they will see what that name change will affect their sales.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 11:59am
They know exactly how the name change will affect their sales.

Pretty clear that racist senior citizens are only a small percentage of their marketWink
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
rusty why are your responses ALWAYS so over the top.

i want the name to stay because im a racist?

Just as racist as you are rusty, and max....

Right wing? no..
I would suggest that those who think along THOSE lines are the racist ones.
As enableme said, when was the last time the term was used? Not amongst the company i keep. or obviously im not as old as some on here.
and then i come on tbv and GUESS WHAT, the "debate" starts.

Where did MR COON get his name from?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:12pm
Why do you care about keeping the name?

In what way does it improve your life?

You know the term is offensive, you think you don’t hear the term often, because even those in your circle know it’s offensive?

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:13pm
Eskimo Pie was very popular in my early years and this was the nickname we gave to Eskimo Prince when he was being broken in , reason being at least 6 times he tossed his rider and slowly cantered up the old sand track at Randwick to his stables not once did he take any " bark " off , as we watched this every morning we thought " he's a dud " LOL that was till all the boys watched him trial, boy o boy that nick disappeared quick , what a trial , he was poetry in motion. just saying.Smile
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:21pm
Someone jump on the phone to Tesco.

Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

In due course they will see what that name change will affect their sales.

Given that so many businesses seem to be going down this type of line I’m willing to bet that the outcome for them is likely to be better than if they ignored it. If it wasn’t then you wouldn’t get business after business doing similar things. Like it or not there are more people pleased with it than you want to believe. Of course there is an even bigger group of people who couldn’t give a gelati either way. LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:36pm
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:38pm
Cheer Cheese is a sh1t name
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Cheer Cheese is a sh1t name

This!!! LOLLOL

The gelati name choice will likely have more of an effect than a minute group outraged by the change itself. Most people couldn’t care less. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:34pm
The world does change, once if you called someone a "black", no-one would turn a hair, but if you called them a c***, all hell could break loose. Of course nowadays, no-one in the media would dare use the word "black" that way these days, but I have noticed the "C" word now seems acceptable for free to air TV. Moral of the story, don't be a fashion victim. And that is what the "woke" brigade are. If it is wrong to abuse people on racial grounds, it is wrong to abuse on a whole host of other grounds as well. Is it OK to call someone a silly old c***, but not a silly black c*** ? Seems identical to me, age can't be changed any more than racial antecedents can.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:58pm
Been living in a bubble?

Haven’t heard any of the bleating about ageists in the media?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
Point, rusty, is that people trying to corner the market in indignation, are little more than a pain in the arrse, if it is wrong to use "black" as a term of derision, it is easy to find plenty of other pejoratives that are equally offensive, inasmuch as the target is in no position to alter whatever characteristic is being denigrated, but of course it isn't as easy to cash in on, say, a short stature industry, as it is the aboriginal industry. "You little sawn-off clown" might raise a laugh, but "you little black clown" would bring out the hounds of hell, if say a politician got sarcastic about another member, on the floor of parliament. Think about it rusty.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>