Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2021 Dead Pool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 10:34am
I’m a big fan of 70’s hard rock - Deep Purple, Led Zep, Black Sabbath & Uriah Heep being at the forefront of the genre.

Sadly reported overnight that John Lawton passed away a few days ago aged 74 - he was lead vocalist on 3 Uriah Heep albums in the late 70’s. The Fallen Angel album from 1978 is one of my fave Heep albums.

Uriah Heep’s 70’s lineup has been decimated in the past year with Lee Kerslake (drummer) & Ken Hensley (keyboards & guitar) passing away in Sept & Nov 2020 respectively.  And now John Lawton Cry
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 11:36pm
Haitian President Jovenel Moise in a hail of bullets.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2021 at 11:50pm
Wonder who he pissed off ???  LOL
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2021 at 2:58pm
 Jonathan 'Jono' Coleman, at age 65, from prostate cancer.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2021 at 8:19am
Former WWE star Mr Wonderful, 71. 
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 9:53pm
Former Carlton great Sergio Silvagni, aged 83
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:22pm
Flags at half mast down Lygon Street.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2021 at 10:23pm
 not me...sorry Macca, you don't get ten points plus the age difference.

The Princess has a fractured nose, though...

Evil Smile
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm

Kiwi Hall of Fame trainer passes away

New Zealand Hall of Fame trainer Laurie Laxon, whose list of achievements included winning a Melbourne Cup and multiple Singapore training premierships, has passed away.

Laxon had lived in retirement in the Coromandel seaside town of Whitianga in New Zealand since returning from Singapore in 2017, the year after his induction to the NZ Racing Hall of Fame.

He had ruled supreme in Singapore training ranks after relocating there in 1999, claiming nine premierships and becoming the first to win 100 races in a season, as well as the first - and still only - trainer to reach 1000 wins at Kranji on the way to a full tally in excess of 1250.

Laxon was born into racing as a member of a family involved since NZ's earliest European settlement years. Growing up north of Hamilton, as a teenager he became an amateur rider and in his final race-day ride he won the Duke of Gloucester Cup.

After completing a carpentry apprenticeship, he was drawn fully into racing when he established a stable near Ngaruawahia.

From there he first made his mark with 1974 Great Northern Hurdle winner Cobland, who he owned with his late wife Jenny, before establishing his credentials as the trainer of major flat performers.

A big part of that early success was the association Laxon built with brothers Philip and Peter Vela, leading to their joint maiden Group 1 success with Sir Tristram filly Noble Heights in the 1981 New Zealand 1000 Guineas.

Sir Tristram was also the source of the Laxon-trained, Vela-owned-and-bred Romanee Conti, winner of the 1993 Hong Kong International Cup, and dam of Ethereal, who was trained by Laxon's second wife Sheila to win the 2001 Caulfield and Melbourne Cups.

Sir Tristram also sired the Vela-owned-and-bred Riverina Charm, a four-time G1 winner on either side of the Tasman under Laxon's training, while for owner-breeder Fred Bodle, Laxon prepared giant Sir Tristram mare Empire Rose to win the 1988 Melbourne Cup.

"Laurie was an outstanding trainer and horseman who was particularly skilled with fillies and mares," commented his close friend and near neighbour, NZ Bloodstock Chairman Joe Walls.

"His astute horsemanship was noted by a number of successful breeders, most notably Peter and Philip Vela, and they had some great times together.

"When Laurie went to Singapore, he remained staunchly loyal to the New Zealand-bred and much of his success there was down to the horses he sourced from New Zealand," added Walls, who confirmed that Laxon, who recently turned 75, passed away in his sleep overnight.

Another to pay tribute to Laxon was highly respected former trainer Bruce Marsh, who developed a close friendship as a fellow Kiwi expat in Singapore.

"Laurie was the instigator of me going up to Singapore," said Marsh, who is now retired in Cambridge. "He was an immense help to every New Zealand and Australian expat who went up there - myself, Mark Walker, Cliffy Brown, Michael Freedman, all of us.

"He went out of his way to show us the ins and outs, and he was always there if you needed any help.

"Obviously Laurie was a top-notch trainer, he will always be remembered for his huge success back home, in Australia and up in Singapore."

Laxon is survived by his sons Craig, Roger and John, and daughter Lucy.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:15pm
Mary Ward best known as Mum Brooks in Prisoner. She's passed away at the age of 106
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2021 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

Jonathan 'Jono' Coleman, at age 65, from prostate cancer.

Gee that's a shock. He really seemed to struggle after his very early success. Became very dated as time went on. Ended up doing infomercials I think
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2021 at 2:49pm
Former Channel NINE boss David Leckie aged 70
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 11:47am
John (Strop) Cornell aged 80.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 7:55pm
 seemed like a nice guy. 

my brother has early onset Parkinson's. It's not a fun disease.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:49pm
Australian actor Dieter Brummer aged 45. Found dead in his home.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:12pm
That's sad about Dieter PT, way too young. The inference is suicide. Sad for all involved.

www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:20pm
Yes it is very sad. Apparently wasn't coping with his acting career going nowhere.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:31pm
Must have been that.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 10:37pm
Sad news. Even more so given he was so young. Haven’t watched Home And Away for many years but at the time he was on it was a rightly ritual so remember him on there well. 
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 11:23pm
Sadly missed. Who's gonna jingle Santa's bells this Christmas?
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 11:32pm
Can somebody explain why my phone is currently saying that this thread was created by Baghdad Bob? Frightening if true.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:37am
Your phone is correct
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 3:49am
Well eff me.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:28am
Sure did, because at the end of 2019 there was a thread started for the Dead Poll of 2020, so I started this one named Dead Poll of 2021. No other reason.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:32am
E & E posted this late in 2020... 
Originally posted by fee fee wrote:

This is an illegitimate thread, People will wait for E+ E to post the real one Wink

Well this is a fair point. It’s my competition and the thread has always been posted 2 weeks prior to the new year since it began a few years ago. Nevertheless, I’m glad to see Bob champing at the bit to get involved in the 2021 version. 

Seeing as he’s been so kind to jump the gun, here is the I to and rules:

With just over three weeks to go until 1 January it’s time to get your entries in. Plenty of time to think carefully about who will be visited by the grim reaper in the next 12 months. Entries close 11:59pm Sydney time 31 December.

Rules:
- List 10 people (celebrities preferably) who will kick the bucket in 2021
- No people with already known death dates (eg death row inmates) OR with pre-existing terminal illnesses where death is likely in 2021
- Death must be confirmed by a reputable source as occurring during 2021 in the location of their death – IE Someone dying in the USA at 6am Sydney time 1 January will not count.

Scoring:
Correct selection = 10 points
Bonus points = 100 minus age at death (eg a 75 year old correct selections scores 100-75=25 bonus points. NOTE: If your selection is over 100 you will lose points here.

Prize:
I will again put up a $20 bonus bet to the winner.
Scoring to be done individually at the end of the year
I may or may not check these reported scores. Depends if I could be bothered.

Enjoy this wonderful competition!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:38am
And what an outstanding thread it is Bobby. Clap
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 11:58am
Highly unlikely any TBV member will ever be honoured on here.

Big bunch of nobodies LOL

I once had my big boofhead on a Ch 7 news clip once Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:01pm
As a result of an appeal from Crime Stoppers?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:06pm
Well its not my fault she wouldn't let go of her handbag LOL
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 12:17pm
Glad there's an explanation. You'd think the mod would have explained in his response, but that would be too normal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 28>