Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Funny Memories from Racings Past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:38pm
Do you punt at all anymore Baghdad ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

There'd be thousands there of course, and perhaps 50 bookies divided between the members and the public area.  When something was backed in the members there'd be a beg-no-pardons stampede for the public area to try and get on before the word got out there.  Blokes would fall @rse over trying to hurdle the fence to avoid the crush at the entry gate.  All to get an added point or two.

that sort of thing did happen with detached separate rings, I suppose less so today, but I know of people being black-balled for running between rings, bowling people over in the process. Or at least warned to desist, or be banned. One bloke got into a huff and didn't come back to the races after being warned. just common sense, someone will get hurt sooner or later, I believe this is the reason betting on photo finishes was stopped, people would camp on the finish line, then dash to the ring, in the event of a photo, which in those days took a little while to be judged upon. And of course, the crowds were big in those days.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

OK horlicks, so you got a div for running second, not a refund. Could it be less than the stake ?

I never saw it happen Max but I suspect it was possible.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:57pm
Another "innovation" in those days (60's) in NZ was the treble which was only available at the TAB and not on course.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 4:57pm
I remember an old guy telling me about his days of betting on the photo finishes, which he did well out of, over several years, until as I mentioned, it was stopped. He only bet at one track, where he lined up the mirror with a post along the outside running rail, he adjudged that line to be the actual finish line, that then ran through to the judge's box, perched high atop a skeletal framework. His mistakes were very rare, but I recall him saying he got it twice wrong, in one day, probably two of a handfull over several years. This was circa 1950, and he would sometimes stake 200 quid on a photo, which was a lot of money in those days, but the bookies would bet, albeit sometimes very slender odds. They tended to trust the race caller of the day, and if he was confident, you might be taking 1-10 or shorter. How did he make the costly mistake twice in one day ? He was convinced a gale-force wind blowing parallel to the finish straight, had changed the line, by the judge's box tower bending like a tree in a strong breeze. Rightly or wrongly, he never bet again when those same conditions applied.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:03pm
And while we're at Warrnambool, a long lifetime ago....

Apprentice Louis "the fly" Toth had his indentures transferred to (Jack Barling?) at the 'Bool.  Was shown to a tiny room with just a small cupboard and an iron framed bed.  No reticulated water at the stables, horses being hosed down on-course. 

Louis' first comment: "suppose a bloke's gotta join the local footy club to get a decent shower around here."

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Do you punt at all anymore Baghdad ?
No, I cannot see where there is any value. When I went on track the on course market most reflected the probability of horses winning, it was the more efficient market, and the TAB had more mug money and was the less efficient market. By going on track to some obscure meetings the variance in those two markets was even more apparent and I took advantage of that.

Today as far as I am aware there is only one market , the fixed price corporate bookies and the tote market, which by the time a race starts they are no different. With syndicates using computers to directly download thousands of exotic bets into the TAB computers any advantages that was previously in those markets has now been eroded . I believe those syndicates are happy even to loss a small percentage on their turnover, which of course I would be little different, to pick up the rebates on their turnover so betting for me would be a waste of time as the mathematical advantage I once had does not exist.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:17pm
A long-time "overs" player told me his best year was 1983, like a lot of these people, he stuck around too long hoping for the return of the "good old days", BB obviously saw the writing on the wall earlier than many. The combination of circumstances that allow winning opportunities, tend not to last, and one must adapt, or vacate the field. 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:30pm
There are still plenty of opportunities to profit, you just need to look harder. Just today I came across a market on an MMA fight that occurred this afternoon and between the different books you could arb the result. One was betting $2.80 while another had the other fighter at $1.60. I was happy to empty a couple of accounts for a small profit. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:32pm
The Trump race was a live arb there for a while, TAB and Betfair. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:33pm
Unless Auntie red is right, and we wake up to President Pence
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:34pm
We appear to have segued from the Topic somewhat here, however guess that's entirely normal around here.  Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:35pm
Happens often enough to be able to make a little cream. I was playing a Ladbrokes promo during the football season that allowed an easy arb. Probably the most profitable promotion I’ve played to date. Hoping they bring it back next season.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:35pm
Mentioning racing between betting rings that is how I first started punting. As a young bloke I would go on the Flat at Caulfield and with a pair binoculars would watch over the track at the firmers on the Rails then run and back them with the Flat bookies when they had the original price on their betting boards , that gave me the concept that to win punting was all about beating the odds and that I need not study any form. 

Over a year or so I graduated into the Paddock and then became aware there was more money to be made betting on the interstate tote in the Paddock ( the interstate tote house was only in the Paddock )  where the odds variance between the tote odds and the odds coming from interstate were more in my favour than betting on firmers with bookies.

Just think, if I had been any good at football or cricket I would never had ventured to the Flat on a Saturday afternoon and I wonder how my life would have turned out. As they say, life can be fortuitous being in the right place at the right time.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

We appear to have segued from the Topic somewhat here, however guess that's entirely normal around here.  Wink
I don't know SC, anything that wins, is fun, and this is for "funny" stories. Tongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Mentioning racing between betting rings that is how I first started punting. As a young bloke I would go on the Flat at Caulfield and with a pair binoculars would watch over the track at the firmers on the Rails then run and back them with the Flat bookies when they had the original price on their betting boards , that gave me the concept that to win punting was all about beating the odds and that I need not study any form.

Over a year or so I graduated into the Paddock and then became aware there was more money to be made betting on the interstate tote in the Paddock ( the interstate tote house was only in the Paddock )  where the odds variance between the tote odds and the odds coming from interstate were more in my favour than betting on firmers with bookies.

Just think, if I had been any good at football or cricket I would never had ventured to the Flat on a Saturday afternoon and I wonder how my life would have turned out. As they say, life can be fortuitous being in the right place at the right time.

People would do well to listen to the bolder section above. Totally correct and goes for any form of betting really. You do not need to know form to win - just the maths. I mean, I’ve barely watched MMA in my life but I was more than happy to bet on it this morning when it became apparent I could profit off it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

There are still plenty of opportunities to profit, you just need to look harder. Just today I came across a market on an MMA fight that occurred this afternoon and between the different books you could arb the result. One was betting $2.80 while another had the other fighter at $1.60. I was happy to empty a couple of accounts for a small profit. 

98.2 % you certainly would have to empty a few accounts even to make a small profit, then again you could not lose.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

98.2 % you certainly would have to empty a few accounts even to make a small profit, then again you could not lose.

Well I did say “small” Smile

I made about $50 from it. Small but then if you saw a $50 note on the ground you would certainly bend over and pick it up. 

The Ladbrokes arb was a much bigger score over a few months. 
fee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm
Been to very few racecourses and the MC only once in 1996 .Terrible experience on the lawns, so crowded, couldn't get a bet on, and all I saw of the race was the horses legs as they flashed by towards the finishing post LOL

But you gotta go at least once in your life
fee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 5:52pm
Used to go to the dishlickers at Olympic Park on Monday nights. Went straight from work in Melbourne CBD. Didn't know anything about them but it was fun, only 20 minutes between races and the main reason I went was for the tasty hot dogs , hope they didn't have any slow greyhounds in the ingredients Confused
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:45pm
That is funny Free - but hardly surprising LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 6:48pm
Bob - did you just stop all of a sudden or did you just gradually back off ? And even with the mathematical edge you must have had bad spells. Did you ever chase ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm

The NSW TAB started in 1964. Betting shops typically had upto 10 staff behind the counter taking bets / manually collating tickets / & forwarding to a central source for final dividend determination. This central source employed hundreds. Turnover then would be miniscule compared to now. And yet the take-out rates have almost doubled since then (primarily exotics). Hard to believe.
yes it was a major employer, high running costs, and the take-outs were less than today, a real contradiction.
fee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by fee fee wrote:

Used to go to the dishlickers at Olympic Park on Monday nights. Went straight from work in Melbourne CBD. Didn't know anything about them but it was fun, only 20 minutes between races and the main reason I went was for the tasty hot dogs , hope they didn't have any slow greyhounds in the ingredients Confused

Those were the days when the only Chinese you saw were in China Town. But the thing I noticed there were heaps at the greyhound races with wads of cash, they loved the dogs
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

The NSW TAB started in 1964. Betting shops typically had upto 10 staff behind the counter taking bets / manually collating tickets / & forwarding to a central source for final dividend determination. This central source employed hundreds. Turnover then would be miniscule compared to now. And yet the take-out rates have almost doubled since then (primarily exotics). Hard to believe.
yes it was a major employer, high running costs, and the take-outs were less than today, a real contradiction.
Gov owned.
No shareholders 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:09pm
That is the peril of privatisation. Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:21pm

Bob - did you just stop all of a sudden or did you just gradually back off ? And even with the mathematical edge you must have had bad spells. Did you ever chase ?
1+1.  when I first started punting on the overs I only bet on the win & place and the last race quinella and over those years the value slowly but surely fell away on the win and place as other punters realised there were overs . As the TAB grew they introduced trifectas which were a gift from God as most punters had no idea how to stake individual combinations ( even the smarties boxed up runners ) whereas I knew if I staked individual bets I achieved huge overlays, especially at the short end of the market. Over a period of years I , like other overs punters, was able to download hundreds of bets directly into the on course totalisator, which in the long run was to my detriment because we all began to correctly stake all combinations which ultimately meant the value in trifecta betting ultimately evaporated. It is about then around 1999  that I gave it all away, although for a few more years I exploited overs on WA Trebles on the Queensland TAB.  
Re Bad Spells: Of course I had bad runs but by the end of every calendar month I always showed a profit.

No,  I never chased losses as I always knew the odds were on my favour.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:22pm
Should I tellthe story about the VERY famous , am sure known to all here,  bloke, nicking flags off flag poles at the Irish Derby, while track riders looked on, like WTF is going on here ?
animals before people.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:24pm
And by the by.  Have we worked out what happened to Mother/Daughter act,,,and did we all see the same pair ???
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 8:37pm
They never made it to Melbourne but no doubt they knew their way around the trots and the gallops in Sydney. When I travelled to Sydney to bet the overs during the Melbourne Spring carnivals ( all the NSW horses were always unders on the NSW TAB, meaning the Victorian horses were overs ) I stayed at the Boulevard and did not sight them when I dined in The Cross Wink, so maybe they were just keen punters.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>