Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Funny Memories from Racings Past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 11:56am
Enable Me. I have lived in the same house for 36 years and have accumulated so much memorabilia and books I cannot find anything. My wife loves books and has probably bought one book every month for those 36 years. If I come across that book on the history of Mentone I pass on its title, although you most likely will get details of it from the Kingston Historical Society. I know J Mac has written a book about Les O'Briem the trackman down there. As far as that photo of BP I have it somewhere around and if I find it I will PM it to you.
It is of interest you mention Caulfield, my late father-in-law was a trainer there, but had retired by the time I meet my wife and he had some difficulty getting around the fact that I could win betting on horses as like most people he was sceptical as most punters finished up broke.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
It is a peculiarity of even long term winning punters, to imagine their way, was, or is, the only way. But there are more ways to skin the proverbial cat, one guy I knew, who was not an overs punter, was very successful with the TAB treble back in the 70's. He was a form punter of sorts, but what his method entailed, I am not clear on, but he would invest $3000-$4000 each Saturday on the treble, which was conducted on Brisbane Saturday races. The pools were huge, into the hundreds of thousands even in those days. He would place his bets, or arrange for others to place them, then fly to Sydney to attend the races, where he would cover contingencies by betting with the bookies there. When asked why he couldn't do the same thing in Brisbane, he said he could get better odds, and more on, in Sydney. He did this for several years, and clearly must have been successful, as his spend was in the vicinity of 6 month's pay, per day, and that just on the TAB trebles. The bookies I don't know how  much, but would have varied a fair bit.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:53pm
I loved to bet on the QLD treble on WA races. I reasoned that punters in QLD knew little about WA form and by listening to WA previews on WA radio I got a good feel for the markets and the thinking of WA punters. If I turned on QLD radio the only mention of WA races was the scratchings and the commentator's selections which were rattled off on the radio with the host hardly pausing for a breath. As I was able to have a price service on those WA races I believed I had a huge advantage over most of the punters in QLD who bet on WA races.
BTW I can't ever recall betting on the QLD treble on the QLD TAB.I found over the years the best value was always betting away from home tote.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:04pm
In those days, BB, only Qld had the treble, and it was only on the local races, the pool was massive.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:05pm
Whoops!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

In those days, BB, only Qld had the treble, and it was only on the local races, the pool was massive.
Max you have sucked in Rusty( doubting Thomas ) with that comment I am talking about in the 1990s not the 1960s. In “those days” can mean anything from 1960 to 2010. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:44pm
The first day of the Treble was in 1972, on an Eagle Farm meeting, it hit the ground running with a massive return of around $99,000 ( a fortune back then) for a $1 unit, From memory there were either two or three winning tickets, the odds were 33/1, 7/2, 33/1.  Substantial overs paid.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 3:55pm
So we’ve come a long way from your MO of being a que jammer in country Vic, where you and only you could predict divvies 10 min pre post, to obtain “overs”

Now we are listening on the SW radio in two states, for tips to get some claimed advantage over punters in Qld whilst you are in Victoria....
Doing it over a treble, not a single race....
And only getting confirmed “overs”
Doing no actual form....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:13pm
Max, I do not think I had a QLD TAB account until the 1980s, think I had one in NSW about the same time, on races like the Stradbroke I would back some of the Victorian runners in those TABs in the morning and heavily back against them on the Victorian TAB that afternoon.By doing that I got the best of odds on most of the field . Over the years all the win odds came into line with each other ( due to Sky showing home totes ) so I gave that away and concentrated on the exotics, where a lot of the dividends were random and with a bit of common sense I played those bets to my advantage .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:17pm
I don't know whether you saw these tables I posted BB, showing the underlays/overlays from 2000 and 2020, I was surprised that the big "unders" were so profitable back in 2000, and such a lot of them, you would have needed a bookie to bet with of course.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:18pm
That's similar to when I was doing Nasho's in about 1969, and stationed in Bandiana on the Vic/NSW border.  Very rudimentary tote stuff in those days.

So if you fancied a Victorian horse it generally paid to back it in Albury, and back one in Wodonga if the reverse applied. Win, lose or draw you could usually get an extra point or two.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

So we’ve come a long way from your MO of being a que jammer in country Vic, where you and only you could predict divvies 10 min pre post, to obtain “overs”

Now we are listening on the SW radio in two states, for tips to get some claimed advantage over punters in Qld whilst you are in Victoria....
Doing it over a treble, not a single race....
And only getting confirmed “overs”
Doing no actual form....
When a I first started punting I was a novice, but over the years I learnt all the tricks of the trade, how to stake exotics, knew how the average punter followed individual tipsters, does anyone remember Clif Carey and ever horse he tipped was way unders?
As for trebles on the QLD TAB it was a goldmine for a while but like every other bet type it had it’s day. I was not studying form, as such, I was analysing the information the mugs were being feed.To bet against the mugs I had to know what they were being feed in all legs of the trebles. I believe in stock market terms I was a contrarian .If you do not believe me that is ok, for far as I am concerned the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:12pm
Rusty, short wave radio ? that was even before my time , have you ever heard of the internet where each state had their own  TAB stations ?
4TAB, RSN, 2KY, Racing Radio WA.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:19pm

The first day of the Treble was in 1972, on an Eagle Farm meeting, it hit the ground running with a massive return of around $99,000 ( a fortune back then) for a $1 unit, From memory there were either two or three winning tickets, the odds were 33/1, 7/2, 33/1.  Substantial overs paid.

Gee that makes me feel old, in 1972 Rusty was four years old and was just out of nappies and there I was betting on the tote , blocking off other punters from getting on at country meetings.Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:25pm
Appears we're departing from the topic yet again.  But what's new?  Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:03pm
How is this thread going to catch up to the Trump Presidency thread in six months unless there is not some departing from the topic ?Unhappy
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 6:29pm
C'mon Bob, why the unhappy emoticon?  Tongue
fee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

How is this thread going to catch up to the Trump Presidency thread in six months unless there is not some departing from the topic ?Unhappy

Come on Bob, it is not a competition although oneone thinks it is and promotes it like Trump promoted his shonky university courses .

Whale was before my time but my impression is that he was a very modest fellow, not given to boasting about his Trump presidency thread which has now reached over 1100 with a shootoff.

Bravo Whale, TBV needs more like you Clap
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:34pm
I have a feeling you would've liked brokecell, fee.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by fee fee wrote:

Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

..........Bravo Whale, TBV needs more like you Clap
Ever heard of the saying...
“Self praise is no praise at all”
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:17am
Found this thread. Some funny punting stories / jokes an it 

Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:25am
1+1 some good stories on the webpage, unusual that they are on a philatelic website.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 10:53am
One of the better tips I got ever, was from a punter who was "in" with various jockeys, although I can't say his information thus obtained was any where near infallible, but on this occasion it was information that a race had been "stitched up" as a going away present for a jockey having his last race ride, so I attended the track on the Wednesday, which I rarely did back them. The odds barely moved from 7/4 throughout, I placed $600 on it, which was about a weeks wages at the time. In the run, I became concerned when it was hemmed in on the rail three back with horses all around it, however, as the turn was reached, the field fanned dramatically, except for "Old Mate" having his last ride, he sliced through along the rail to quickly put the issue beyond doubt. Who knows, it may have won if an honest contest, but it did lend credibility to the stories of the "one goer" that are heard from time to time. Maybe every time a jockey is having their last ride, a few dollars on them might be a reasonable bet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:50am
Max $600 a week in 1961 was not a bad wageWink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 11:53am
It was in the mid 80's BB, and I was not punting much at that time. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:03pm
I also remember that bloke telling me a Melbourne Cup winning jockey "hooked" the favourite in the Cup, another year, he did seem to get reliable info, inasmuch as his "tips", from the limited exposure I had, were very frequently heavily backed, but did not win often enough for my liking. He would not bet after the money came, preferring to let them go around if he missed the price. Years later, he told me he had finished in front, but not hugely, he had better earns away from racing, so it didn't really matter. But a tip that a race is rigged, is not your usual kind of tip. Of course it is still a gamble, someone may break ranks and alter the result, the horse may race unexpectedly poorly etc, and in the case I referenced, the odds were not luxurious anyway.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:26pm
I’ve been tipped into 3 “boat races” over the years.
Everyone of them backed off the map.
None won.
Harder in practice than in theory.....
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 12:36pm

I also remember that bloke telling me a Melbourne Cup winning jockey "hooked" the favourite in the Cup, another year, he did seem to get reliable info, inasmuch as his "tips", from the limited exposure I had, were very frequently heavily backed, but did not win often enough for my liking. He would not bet after the money came, preferring to let them go around if he missed the price. Years later, he told me he had finished in front, but not hugely, he had better earns away from racing, so it didn't really matter. But a tip that a race is rigged, is not your usual kind of tip. Of course it is still a gamble, someone may break ranks and alter the result, the horse may race unexpectedly poorly etc, and in the case I referenced, the odds were not luxurious anyway.

Whether there is any veracity in that story I do not know, but in the days when Caulfield / Melbourne Cup doubles bookies stood to pay out hundreds of thousands on horses, it could have been possible for a jockey to hook a horse if the sling from the bookie was worth more than the jockey's winning percentage for riding the winner, especially if that jockey had already won the Cup and had written his name into racing folklore. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

I’ve been tipped into 3 “boat races” over the years.
Everyone of them backed off the map.
None won.
Harder in practice than in theory.....
Some smarties look for "dummies" to spread the word for them to make the price on the real goer better Wink
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Found this thread. Some funny punting stories / jokes an it 

Hahaha
Says it all.
....1,1 the stamp collector.
No wonder my quip about him clearing rooms struck a nerve with him.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 15>