Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Funny Memories from Racings Past

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Funny Memories from Racings Past
    Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:53pm
That 7 was from 12 months ago so could have been changed to take into account changes since then
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:52pm
My understanding is that there is still the price assessor but instead of doing it off the on-course bookies they do it from a selection of corporates. I had no idea either until I was at a random Caulfield meeting in the middle of winter last year. I noticed that none of the bookies were betting the official price. They were either all lower or all higher (can’t remember which) than what was reported on the monitors. Asked one of them about it and they said it was done off the corporates now. 
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:48pm
Beteasy, of course, has been folded into Sportsbet.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:44pm
Just as a matter of interest, to what extent if any are any of those mentioned co-owned?
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:40pm
Apparently it is the fourth price of a group of 7 comprising TAB, Sportsbet, Ladbrokes, BetEasy, Bet365, TopSport and PointsBet.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:38pm
I think it is more or less assessed "independently" by someone, looking at a spread of available on-line odds, my feeling in they undershoot the prevailing odds a tad. Naturally the bookies would not complain about that.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 4:47pm
Unbelievable that corporates determine official SP. Do punters still bet SP ? In the olden days the SP was determined by an independent price assessor employed by the racing authority.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

E&E a lot of those old style plungers were orchestrated with the help of on course bookies who 'pitched' the odds ( blew them out in the betting ring ) so that plungers could get on at inflated odds at interstate betting rings or on the on course itself.  
Who determines Official SP today ?

Does not surprise me to hear that Bob. 

If you can believe it, the corporates.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:43pm
E&E a lot of those old style plungers were orchestrated with the help of on course bookies who 'pitched' the odds ( blew them out in the betting ring ) so that plungers could get on at inflated odds at interstate betting rings or on the on course itself.  
Who determines Official SP today ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:30pm
On course books do not even determine the official prices now either. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:16pm
I doubt into the future those plunges will ever be replicated again.On course bookies of today are a light of those on course bookies in the past who took on mammoth punters like the Fireman, the Legal Eagles etc, for not only are there no bookies of that ilk there are no punters of that ilk on the track.I cannot blame the bookies as there are few mugs on the course anymore, they are in TABs or bet with the corporates on their computers.
Although I have not attended a race meeting in ages ,apparently  the betting ring today is nothing like it was when at any metropolitan meeting on a Saturday there would be 30>40 bookies taking bets from thousands of punters, but from all reports barely 10 bookies are on track catering for a handful of punters.
Unfortunately on course racing just does not appeal to the masses as it once did.At some provincial mid week meeting in Victoria only 4 or 5 bookies are on course.
This year, due to COVID 19, has accentuated the decline of on course bookies, from which I believe on course bookmaking will have difficulty recovering.
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
I miss the old stories of the fireman and the plunges he pulled off, or the massive plunge on Charlie Bubbles that landed the cash at Randwick, 40/1 in to 4/1 and bolted in
EAD
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:38pm
30+ years ago, TAB tickets were handwritten, a carbon copy kept, and the only way to be paid, take that ticket back to the point of sale. One day at the track, the three legs of one TAB treble in one of the 3 or 4 states they were then selling them, had been completed, but there were still other races left in the day. One "gentleman" drew the alleged winning ticket from his pocket, on the completed treble, and tried to auction or sell it at a discount, he explained he had no cash left, and needed to back something in the last somewhere. The div was $1300-odd, but he would let it go for $1000, and the recipient would only need to make their way to a specified suburban TAB to collect the larger sum. One chap appeared interested in the deal, but in stepped a doubter, who said it would have been easy to alter the ticket with a biro, so that the last leg read "13",the winning number, by simply having had just "1" ( the beaten favourite) in the square. The exchange then became a touch heated, but the result was, "no sale". It will never be known if that was a valid ticket, but it has to the outsider of the two possibilities. I'm not sure if the tote machines at the track in those days were set up to produce a treble ticket, I doubt it, but if they were, the chances of it being a con, shortens dramatically.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:37am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Should I tell the story of when I met my OH over a bar at a country race meeting ???  Wink
Funny thing Acacia - so did I. Biggest win of my life. Really good sort. If she has one negative its the fact she spends too much time on the computer  LOLLOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:28am
"Tarax bottles" - absolute crack up Bob LOL
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by EnableMe EnableMe wrote:

1-1-Bob a Job was excellent education for young lads. It taught you all you needed to know about workplace exploitation. I swear some treated the "bob" in the title as a price list. The old Australians rorted us just as well as any newbie.

Talk about "be prepared" - LOL.

SC it might not have been a contest between me and BB but he wins. My dad would bring the station wagon up to the gate so we could load in the cans. BB had it much tougher dragging his haul back to Bentliegh. 

BB my grandparents lived for many years in Wright St Bentliegh until grandpa died. I don't recall coke bottles at any games so you probably have a couple years on me sir.  

In hindsight I think they were Tarax bottles.
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:35am
One TAB rort around '91 involved the telephone betting operators who were placing bets on clients accounts. Not sure how they got the money out or any benefit. One thing I do know is that one of the ring leaders was a guy named Andrew Grima. 

I went to school with the grub and may have saved his life one day when a much larger unit was on top of him on the ground and choking him to death. Grima had gone blue and none of the crowd seemed to care. Most seemed to be blindly cheering on the attempted murderer rather than showing any concern for the victim. I stepped in and dragged the assailant off Grima resulting in no end of BS from his wannabe mafioso mates for months after. 

Nothing like a good Catholic education eh?
longevity does not equate to credibility
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:27am
One of the first times I went racing was with my older brother to sell ice creams at Caulfield during the Spring Carnival. Late in the day he came up to me and asked for a dollar as he'd found a way to make some extra money. Off he went with the dollar and along with his own money placed in on a horse called Manaroa. It had a picket fence next to it's name so my brother figured it was easy money as this horse never lost. 

It saluted at about 7/1 and almost doubled my day's earnings. A case of the more they win the better the odds. I was sold on the caper there and then. Mind you I don't think I had another bet until 2-3 years later though. The floodgates opened after that.
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:19am
1-1-Bob a Job was excellent education for young lads. It taught you all you needed to know about workplace exploitation. I swear some treated the "bob" in the title as a price list. The old Australians rorted us just as well as any newbie.

Talk about "be prepared" - LOL.

SC it might not have been a contest between me and BB but he wins. My dad would bring the station wagon up to the gate so we could load in the cans. BB had it much tougher dragging his haul back to Bentliegh. 

BB my grandparents lived for many years in Wright St Bentliegh until grandpa died. I don't recall coke bottles at any games so you probably have a couple years on me sir.  
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:29pm
Before the TABs were privatised, but had been corporatized, so far as I know, rebates could not be legally paid. I remember being at a track in the early 2000's when govt officials conducted a raid, sniffing around to investigate rumours that selected punters there enjoyed kickbacks. I later learnt some were being paid a very modest % of their turnover. One ex-bookie from Sydney, a very well known name, who had become a punter, found a better way, buy a small totalisator operation, and bet through that, and get back maybe 5 or 6%. However, that ended when he was unable to settle at the end of one period, maybe monthly, there being the obvious need to pay a % of the turnover to the Treasury and racing industry. That was resolved when he had to sell his operation back to cover the deficit. He had been betting up big, and despite  being able to get that credit for turnover, still lost.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:58pm
The Hayson incident was with Curley Seal yes. Think they ended up on court but can’t recall the outcome. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:44pm
Wasn't that the Curly Seal thing ? I don't know how that ended up.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:39pm
Actually your one wasn't the Hayson sting - it was the top one 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Speaking of pool manipulation, does anyone remember the Canadian guy who manipulated the place pool on some dog races on the QLD tab back around 2000? Had $350k the place on each of the fav and 2nd fav and another $5k the place on the remaining 6 runners. Because of the minimum money back payout the other 6 ended up with massive dividends - around $46 from memory. Needed 1 of the favs to run a place to be in the money. 

Yeah - a few goodies on here - including the Eddie Hayson sting you mentioned ;

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:26pm
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:25pm
Some classics among this lot. Hard to go past Mathew Cahill's ride - & the pommy fellow who got the winning post wrong LOL

https://www.punters.com.au/news/top-10-jockey-blunders_128992/

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
Should I tell the story of when I met my OH over a bar at a country race meeting ???  Wink
animals before people.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by fee fee wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I miss Whale Wink  Always good for an arguement. Thumbs Up

I prefer to get along with everyone

argument Wink

Ahhhhh,,,there is the spelling nazie Thumbs Up   Welcome back Whale .
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
Speaking of pool manipulation, does anyone remember the Canadian guy who manipulated the place pool on some dog races on the QLD tab back around 2000? Had $350k the place on each of the fav and 2nd fav and another $5k the place on the remaining 6 runners. Because of the minimum money back payout the other 6 ended up with massive dividends - around $46 from memory. Needed 1 of the favs to run a place to be in the money. 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 8:38pm
After 2 minutes you are stuck with the bet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>