Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Gladys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 58>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:10pm
 you'll never get him to back down...unless we let the virus run amok and fifty-thousand Aussies die in a month...

his argument hinges on one fact...people die from other things...

well...duh...yes they do...no-one disputes that...

but those other things are not necessarily contagious...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:28pm
No where near the point .   MJ .   When we debate anything , in this case it is a Medical issue .     We have to be free of emotion and judge on the unavoidable numbers of victims .   nothing you or I say or do, changes that .
   We may debate that the covid 19 strain will kill so many while active . But we can't dismiss that the efforts to reduce the infection we may in fact kill three times as many with our efforts.
There is a very destructive price to pay on the mental health of the community ,   These vaccines risks are not known , The Financial weight on the economy will take years to recover .
Having seen many infectious periods in my time, some , like tuberculosis wre so much worse than this , and we didn't over react , we survived as we would this one , without the Hysteria.
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:32pm
As far as I understand Macca's shorthand and deliberately
provocative posts, his argument is that "nature provides", that medicine/science is flawed at the best of times, that he has seen lots of stuff through work/ experience, that deaths from Covid are rare, especially when you put co-morbities into the mix, and that an over-reaction to a passing virus can cause economic and psychological problems. Not that controversial or unreasonable.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

No where near the point .   MJ .   When we debate anything , in this case it is a Medical issue .     We have to be free of emotion and judge on the unavoidable numbers of victims .   nothing you or I say or do, changes that .
   We may debate that the covid 19 strain will kill so many while active . But we can't dismiss that the efforts to reduce the infection we may in fact kill three times as many with our efforts.
There is a very destructive price to pay on the mental health of the community ,   These vaccines risks are not known , The Financial weight on the economy will take years to recover .
Having seen many infectious periods in my time, some , like tuberculosis wre so much worse than this , and we didn't over react , we survived as we would this one , without the Hysteria.

that is the most coherent post you've put up...

Financial costs are recoverable...so, unless you are dependant on the stock-market for your income, it isn't that big a worry...

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 7:48pm
 I know all about the tuberculosis epidemic, during WW11. 

My aunt died from it, my father contracted it and a family friend was permanently crippled by it. The vaccine was not rushed, however, was researched correctly and of course, antibiotics came into use and were effective against it...because it was bacterial in nature....

Viruses are more difficult to treat...

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:11pm

It's a double edged sword really. Right now we can see the impact lockdowns are having on people. Last year we caught a glimpse of what could happen if the virus gets out and spreads. Does one end up better than the other?
Time is a flat circle
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:38pm
Jujuno .C/P (A total of 1.4 million people died from TB in 2019 (including 208 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).
In 2019, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide. 5.6 million men, 3.2 million women and 1.2 million children. TB is present in all countries and age groups. )
   It was still a horror during the 1950"s when some in detention at places like Waterfall were finally released .   Continues to be one of the great infectious killers.
A disease 100 time worse than covid could ever be .
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

As far as I understand Macca's shorthand and deliberately
provocative posts, his argument is that "nature provides", that medicine/science is flawed at the best of times, that he has seen lots of stuff through work/ experience, that deaths from Covid are rare, especially when you put co-morbities into the mix, and that an over-reaction to a passing virus can cause economic and psychological problems. Not that controversial or unreasonable.

I'm sorry re my lack of education , Not easy to put pen to paper with description, outside areas of training.
2 babies losing their lives to unforgivable Nurse neglect recently , adds to the lack of confidence I display for the Medical Profession .
I feel the accepted ( google ) percentage of 10% , of all of Australia deaths are due to Medical error or neglect . ( I have no doubt that is correct )
I feel it is a good argument against this Fear and Hysteria about a nasty Virus , that is just another of the invaders we have been dealing with for hundreds of years.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:01pm

Jujuno .C/P (A total of 1.4 million people died from TB in 2019 (including 208 000 people with HIV). Worldwide, TB is one of the top 10 causes of death and the leading cause from a single infectious agent (above HIV/AIDS).
In 2019, an estimated 10 million people fell ill with tuberculosis(TB) worldwide. 5.6 million men, 3.2 million women and 1.2 million children. TB is present in all countries and age groups. )
   It was still a horror during the 1950"s when some in detention at places like Waterfall were finally released .   Continues to be one of the great infectious killers.

What's that thing you always say? Going offshore for numbers or something along those lines Wink

In 2019, tuberculosis death rate for Australia was 0.2 per 100,000 people. I believe it was the leading cause of death here 130 years ago or so though.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:03pm
3.61 deaths per 100,000 people for covid here so John Hopkins tells me
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:07pm
Also we are wildly off topic now lol
Time is a flat circle
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

What's that thing you always say? Going offshore for numbers or something along those lines Wink

In 2019, tuberculosis death rate for Australia was 0.2 per 100,000 people. I believe it was the leading cause of death here 130 years ago or so though.

I'm not talking 2019 but it is still a big killer worldwide and has found a way to kill 40 % of hiv infected people these days .

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

I'm not talking 2019 but it is still a big killer worldwide and has found a way to kill 40 % of hiv infected people these days .

You literally quoted numbers from 2019. 1.4m died from TB in 2019. 

1.9m died from covid in 2020 with all the lockdowns and everything.

Covid was a big killer worldwide too but again as you've said multiple, multiple times, you're going offshore for numbers. What'd you say earlier today?

"The numbers aren't nearly as bad as in Bonga bongaland"
Time is a flat circle
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:46pm

make up your mind...you say we should only be concerned with figures and statistics in Australia...then spout world figures...

this...Australia reports approximately 1300 cases of TB per year and has a TB case notification rate of 5.5 cases per 100,000 population. This rate has essentially remained unchanged since the mid-1980s.

nb. my aunt died at Waterfall...

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

make up your mind...you say we should only be concerned with figures and statistics in Australia...then spout world figures...

this...<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">Australia reports </span><b style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">approximately 1300 cases of TB per year<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> and has a TB case notification rate of 5.5 cases per 100,000 population. This rate has essentially remained unchanged since the mid-1980s.</span>
<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> nb. my aunt died at Waterfall...</span>
<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> </span>
</span>
<span style="color: rgb32, 33, 36; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 16px;"> </span>
</span>

When the subject is what are the worlds worst infectious diseases , of course the numbers have to be worldwide.

Here is a Copy and Paste that may have you absorb that covid is a nothing when you compare it with the Big killers of world.
-----
This first dose of BCG vaccine for tuberculosis was the culmination of 13 years of research and development.

BCG remains the only licensed vaccine against TB .
Today, all eyes are on the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccine. But while the number of people who died from COVID-19 in the last year is shocking, TB kills about the same number of people — about 1.5-2 million —
each year, and has done so for many generations.

In Fact, it’s estimated that over the last 200 years, more than 1 billion people have died from TB,

More than any other infectious disease.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:05pm
 but not in Australia...as you keep pointing out...

either be consistent or give up...

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:49pm
Australia had it's share when at its worst with TB .
------------------
The age-standardised death rate from TB in Australia dropped dramatically during the 20th century, from 108.5 per 100,000 population in 1907 to 0.3 per 100,000 population in 2000.

This decline in incidence can be attributed to various improvements over the century including improved general standards of nutrition, housing and sanitation, and improved medical and hospital services.

In 2007 the incidence rate of TB in Australia was 5.4 cases per 100,000, one of the lowest rates in the world. However the absolute numbers of TB cases increased by 33% between 1998 and 2008, corresponding with Australia’s migration intake and increasing population.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:24pm
 but it still can't be compared to covid, in Australia.

I doubt the average person in Australia worries about contracting TB.

perhaps in the tropics or Darwin area...but certainly not in the cities...

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 12:03am
TB is a thing of the past, isnt it ?  Who here has heard of, or knows, anyone who has had TB ? 
Even cattle dont get TB any more.
They have a vacc for it .  Thumbs Up

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 12:13am
Both very wrong as TB has been on the increase world wide due it it having found it's way into the weakened millions of Hiv related people . Is killing off 40% 0f that group now.
-------
HIV promotes the progression of latent tuberculosis infection (LTBI) to disease, and tuberculosis (TB) accelerates the progression of HIV disease. Delayed diagnosis and improper management of people with TB and HIV co-infection may lead to spread of TB within the community, contribute to the development of drug resistant TB, and lead to poorer health outcomes for those living with HIV/AIDS.?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 12:49am
 well...when it becomes a real problem here...we'll get back to it...

meanwhile, in covid times...

Ermm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:01pm
Meanwhie in covid times ... 10 losses in 9 months .

Does that not say = " Over Reaction ".
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:23pm
It says we have done well for it to not be 50,000 or 100,000 as it is in some other similar population countries who just let it rip.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:34pm
and there is no economy destruction and their populations will be naturally immune in quick time .    If History repeats itself .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:51pm

Meanwhie in covid times ... 10 losses in 9 months .

Does that not say = " Over Reaction ".

Again you display you don't know how covid deaths occur 
Time is a flat circle
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 1:57pm

and there is no economy destruction and their populations will be naturally immune in quick time .    If History repeats itself .

so you would be comfortable with 50,000 australians dying of covid? mindbogglingConfused
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:00pm
Which country in the world has most closely followed the maccamax model of pandemic management?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:22pm
Mauritius
Tanzania
New Zealand
Iceland
Singapore
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:32pm
New Zealand LOLLOLLOLLOL that's a good one

Singapore has just gone back into a semi lockdown 

Iceland cases rising, restrictions being recommended 

Mauritius currently posting record numbers

Tanzania didn't release figures for a year
Time is a flat circle
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 2:36pm
Singapore has had several lockdowns and al lost constant restrictions re: social gatherings etc. Only someone either not following reality at all or just plucking countries out of a hat could possibly suggest they have followed the “you know who” model of pandemic management. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 58>