Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Oath Of Omerta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oath Of Omerta
    Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 12:05pm
ClapClap
Originally posted by robbo robbo wrote:

Hey All - apologies for the late reply as I have been off the air for a little while. Michael posted the below on Instagram with some lovely photos, including the ones of his little girl holding the Onkaparinga Cup:

The journey began with a spur of the moment decision to buy a handsome yearling for only $13,000 who was to be named, Oath Of Omerta.

7 wins & $260,000 later, Bart signs off the racing chapter of his life a last start winner of the Onkaparinga Cup a sound and happy horse.

I have had the pleasure to train a lot of horses in my time and none I have loved more than him. He is not a champion, we won’t read about him in the history books but he will always be my mate. The memories of my little girl holding that Cup will last forever.

He now starts the next chapter of his life at Lakewood as a performance horse and will stay in my family’s ownership and care until he takes his last breath.

ClapClap well done
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 10:56am
Hey All - apologies for the late reply as I have been off the air for a little while. Michael posted the below on Instagram with some lovely photos, including the ones of his little girl holding the Onkaparinga Cup:

The journey began with a spur of the moment decision to buy a handsome yearling for only $13,000 who was to be named, Oath Of Omerta.

7 wins & $260,000 later, Bart signs off the racing chapter of his life a last start winner of the Onkaparinga Cup a sound and happy horse.

I have had the pleasure to train a lot of horses in my time and none I have loved more than him. He is not a champion, we won’t read about him in the history books but he will always be my mate. The memories of my little girl holding that Cup will last forever.

He now starts the next chapter of his life at Lakewood as a performance horse and will stay in my family’s ownership and care until he takes his last breath.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 5:11pm
SC, Oakbank is dead to me now which is such a shame is as from my teens through to my 30’s, this was one of my favourite carnivals of the entire racing year.

They estimated a crowd of 10,000 attended Saturday - the current regime probably patting themselves on the back too.  Thats only a 78% decline in crowds on the 47,000 that attended the Saturday meeting 15 years ago in 2009.

That’s the equivalent of the 84,000 that attended the 2023 Melb Cup dwindling to around 20,000 in 2038.  

Racing needs to be very vigilant to make sure what’s happened in Oakbank doesn’t happen elsewhere.  Or is it too late already to arrest the decline from mainstream community support.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2024 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Lord Hybrow Lord Hybrow wrote:

Not that I watch racing at Oakbank anymore (for obvious reasons) but echo SC’s sentiments in the March thread.  “Congratulations to an old friend of us here in Robbo who bred Oath of Omerta who won the Onkaparinga Cup today”.  Thumbs Up  

And talking about Oakbank, and more particularly in days long gone by and when the jumps races ruled, this is a post going back a bit:

"ps more years ago than I care to remember used to dine out on a story about one of ours winning in front of a crowd of close to 80,000. "Wow, Derby or Melbourne Cup day?" they'd ask in semi-awe.  "Nah, Oakbank" I'd reply to guffaws all round.  Tongue
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 8:43am
Couldn’t find a nicer guy than Michael Hickmott. 
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2024 at 7:05am
Trainer choked up talking about him. Said something like “racing aside I just absolutely love that animal” must have meant a lot to them to see him win 
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2024 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

So right on cue out he comes today and sticks it right up us!  Big smile  Shocked

Not that I watch racing at Oakbank anymore (for obvious reasons) but echo SC’s sentiments in the March thread 

Congratulations to an old friend of us here in Robbo who bred Oath of Omerta who won the Onkaparinga Cup today”.  Thumbs Up

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2022 at 2:03pm
So right on cue out he comes today and sticks it right up us!  Big smile  Shocked
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 1:00pm
He's cooked. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 12:03pm
Maybe that winning run 2nd up over 2000m flattened him but for whatever reason is going backwards.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2022 at 7:33am
Had excuses 2 runs back at Ballarat over 2000m when in the wrong part of the track in the straight.  Then 3 deep the trip and pulled up lame last time at Morphettville over 2500m.

Not sure why I’m going back for another serving, but one last chance today at Gawler over 2100m - cautiously each way.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 5:46am
Had excuses last weekend at Ballarat.  But down in grade, back to Morphettville, up to 2500m & a good track, all look like positives for his prospects today.  He’ll be my only bet in Adelaide.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 5:28pm
Absolutely.  Awful draw as it turned out.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 5:24pm
Gave me a decent sight, but just struggled late being on the wrong part of the track in the straight.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2022 at 12:35pm
There was a perfectly winnable race at Morphettville for him on Weds but Hickmott has opted to travel interstate to Ballarat.

Won’t know himself with 52.5kgs today after lumbering high weights in Adelaide.

I’ll have a each way bet on him in R6.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 5:16pm
Clearly a bridge too far LH, and one that was entirely predictable after his gutsy but draining run in the Cup.  Dead
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2022 at 5:09pm
Has had an excellent prep over the summer & early autumn, chalking up 3 wins.

But that Adelaide Cup run must have flattened him.  Hope nothing untoward with him, as running a 26 lens last placing yesterday at Morphettville was out of character.

Hope he enjoys a nice break & is rejuvenated for another campaign later in the year.
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 8:25pm
The wallet says a huge thank you to that grand old stayer Lord Hybrow.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 7:01pm
This is why the practical will always outweigh the theoretical imo , after all they do live with them , well done ! Smile
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 5:35pm
I must admit, halfway down the straight I thought it was a stuff up backing him up so soon. 
reductio ad absurdum
Sir Gov View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Gov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 5:17pm
Very well prepared by M Hickmott.

Can train a stayer!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 3:14pm
Cheers Robbo.  Thumbs Up
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:59pm
Bone chip after his most recent run at Hawkesbury. Nearly at the end of recovery, back in work next month. Looks super. Mare had a Flying Artie filly and in foal to Cosmic Force.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:55pm
What's happened to that well performed sibling that's been off the scene for yonks mate?
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:47pm
3 weeks to the Lord Stakes 2600 - would seem logical.

There is no better feeling standing up than booting home one that you've bred. Especially twice in a week.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:45pm
It’s a possibility for sure
2600m Lord Reims on the 26th (3 weeks from now) looks a good race to target.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:42pm
Will the Adelaide Cup come too soon ?

He needed every inch of that race to get there.

reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 2:40pm
Wins again Clap
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2022 at 6:09am
1kg penalty 
robbo View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 10:13am
It was great to see him win again - clearly he has had some issues and getting him back to the winners circle seems like it has been a long road. As Michael said post-race, he hasn't got the body to sprint and he has trouble getting the oxygen in his lungs to stay.

He is backing up on Saturday at Morphettville over 2250m, and is $6.00 - $4.60.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>