Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dan Andrews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 196>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:08pm
You beat me to that  Thumbs Up
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:09pm
LOL
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:17pm
So the paper boys now drive rather than cycle?  Wowee, however they STILL TOSS THE PAPER.

Hopefully by design or accident ending the Sun Herald into Bob's front yard bird bath where apart from the garbage bin it truly belongs.  Big smile

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:32pm
Even if we had a bird bath, which we do not, the paper is wrapped in plastic so regardless, it would not get wet.
The rubbish bins are way down our driveway , nowhere near where the paper is tossed.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:33pm
 yep. Paper boys and girls now deliver in cars.

My sister does the local run.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:35pm
Is there any issue you haven't got a direct connection to JJ. ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 9:35pm
Hope you don't mind me asking LOL
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:02pm
 I have a huge family.

My brother-in-law is world Surf Life Saving president if that subject arises.

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:04pm
 that same sister used to be Nick Politis's close confidante...

that's how I know so much about the Chooks.

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 10:13pm

Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 11:42am
Originally posted by jujuno jujuno wrote:

yep. Paper boys and girls now deliver in cars.

My sister does the local run.

In view of our discussion yesterday , by chance, this article was in this morning's Herald Sun...

PAPERGIRLS were as rare as rocking horse droppings back in 1950, but the few who did give it a go were praised for a job well done.

According to The Argus of June 21, 1950, “newsboys know of only three girls in Melbourne who sell or deliver newspapers”.

Two were sisters — Ethel Henderson, 12, and her sister Jeanette, 10, of Sherwood Avenue, Chelsea.

The Chelsea newsagent for whom they delivered papers at dawn and dusk told The Argus: “They appear more reliable than boys. I have never had a complaint from a customer on their delivery rounds.”

And as the newspaper reported, the sisters thought any suggestion delivering newspapers was boys’ work was stuff and nonsense.

“Both sisters maintain that girls have not yet broken into the paper selling business, which, they believe, is really a girl’s job,” the article said.

“Ethel and Jeanette began at the job a year ago. Ethel  has bought herself a bicycle from her wages, and is saving for a trip to Brisbane. Jeanette  used a billy cart for deliveries at first, but is now buying her own bicycle.”

How times have changed Ermm

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:43pm
I used to travel with my uncle on a Sunday morning flying around the streets of Vaucluse, Dover Heights , and Watsons Bay in his mg roadster throwing papers left and right , it was great fun and still today have lovely memories , the years 1949/50 , we lived opposite Diamond Bay on old south head road Vaucluse , my auntie even had chooks in the back yard , and believe it or no I still remember my aunties phone number FU 8159 , there was an old dairy opposite had lovely old draught horse and cart , those were the days .StarStarStar
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:48pm
 Yes, I remember those days, too, Carioca. We used to ride on the side foot bar of my friend's father's Hillman, collecting refundable bottles for cash. Hanging onto the window frame, jumping on and off at will. Everyone would be aghast at children doing that, these days. 

I feel sorry for today's kids, who will never have the fun we did. 

Star

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:51pm
I agree.  Playing in the dirt was fun too Thumbs Up
animals before people.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:13pm
Done something similar with the soft drink bottles JJ , that's how we got our " pocket money " . Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:19pm
You can get 10c a bottle or drink can here at the recycle depot now, Carioca.   Everyone saves them for the kids, who are happy to stand there for an hour and feed them 1 by 1 into the hole in the wall.  One  kid cleared $40 the other day !!! He had the back of his Dad,s ute full.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:24pm
Here every recycle bin eve we get people driving around the back lanes with trailers scavenging bottles from the bins.  
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Here every recycle bin eve we get people driving around the back lanes with trailers scavenging bottles from the bins.  
Oh well , talking about scavengers on a Dan Andrew thread has I'll bet made Bobs day. Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:32pm
Waiting for him to segue carioca.Wink
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Waiting for him to segue carioca.Wink
One thing I've never lacked PT is patience .Smile
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 3:55pm
Ha Ha PT.  I have a sister in law Censored who is notorious in her town for scavenging the bins.  Disapprove  She even features on the local FB page as the village nuisance.  She has the coveralls and miners head light, and long handled tongs.  A real pro . Cry This from a family that own 3 nice homes in a nice coastal haven.  She gets $90 a trailer load and has an approx 30 min drive to the recycle depot.  Wacko
You can choose your friends but not your rellies.   Embarrassed
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 4:21pm
 I bet Dan Andrews was a scavenger, as well...

He looks like a naughty boy. I'm sure Bob could tell us all about his childhood misdemeanors...

(just bringing it back on subject) Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:07pm
I cannot find much about Dan’s childhood, although he did attend Marist Brothers in Wangaratta. When I used to got to the Wangaratta races in the 1970’s through to the 1990’s I do recall some students coming to the track after school from Marist Brothers scavenging around the betting ring checking for winning tickets that might have been discarded by punters and often thought who they might have been.  I never found out who they were, although one gawky kid wearing horn-rimed glasses did stand out.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:13pm
Born on Struggle Street Williamstown to working class parents Bob. Another little Labor battler success story.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 7:42pm
PT, I just had a look at my Melways, the Melbourne street directory, but I could not find a Struggle Street in Williamstown, although there is a Union Street.

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:33pm
They still make those Bob?
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:44pm
Bob is looking at his 1950 version, TJ.  Wink
animals before people.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 12:03am
Cos he’s so smart, he could see the value that you couldn’t!

Don’t ask to quantify it tho:)
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:30am
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Bob is looking at his 1950 version, TJ.  Wink

Don't tell me you do not like looking at a hard copy of the newspaper, the street directory, your testamentary will, your council rates notice, your gas bill, your bank statement or whatever rather than a digitalised version. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:40am
I wont disagree there Bob.   Give me a paper map every time.  Trying to squiz at some tiny little scrunched up phone screen is the pits.  And Priscilla drives me nuts .  Gives so many wrong directions its not funny.
We named the gizmo that gives directions Priscilla ( Queen of the desert) as she managed to give bad directions even across the Nullabor. Wacko

animals before people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 196>