Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Broodmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sunlight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sunlight
    Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:16pm
Well she's being sold, though could well be put back into work in 2020/21.

But presuming she goes to the breeding barn, how about making some suggestions on:

(a) which stallions would suit her best; and
(b) what stallions will she actually visit?

Over to you...
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:17pm
My opinion, two stallions that seem to compliment most bloodlines and also seem to upgrade them, possibly hard to do with a Gp1 mare, areI Am Invincible and Snitzel. Haven’t looked at computer matching programs. No better two stallions for percentage of producing winners and SWs. I look forward to other opinions.
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:33pm
She will probably be bought for a squillion to go to and help promote some overhyped new stallion with no runs on the board - owner either by Coolmore or Newgate.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:35pm
I haven't checked pedigrees either but am wondering if So You Think might complement her speed and add a little more distance potential. He certainly throws quality conformation as well as athleticism.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:47pm
My worry is, as VSP stated, Magnier or Messara will buy her. Mitchell’s rarely buy quality Gp1 mares so IAI could miss out. Anthony Miffen for Starspangledbanner? Too dear !!!!!!!! Widden Wonder Boy  ??????
So close to breeding season, if I was the owner, she would be served and PTIF to IAI and put on the market. At least $2M if not more. Snitzel could be losing some gloss, even with current Sires Premiership in the pocket. What do you think?

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:05pm
Have a short list of about half a dozen possibles.

Don't believe you'd want more Danehill close up.  Snitzel for instance gives you him 3 x 4 x 5, two of them via Redoute's Choice 2 x 4. Bit close for mine.

Am with Majestic re proven sire I Am invincible.  Mostly sprinting stock but has plenty of stakes-winners over 1400-1600m.  Pedigree match appears fine in its simplicity:

Danzig 4 x 5, 5; four lines of Star Kingdom (three via Bletchingly 4 x 5, 7 in turn via Canny Lad on two occasions 3 x 6.)

Furious might talk to the locally bred duplications and possible inheritable faults, though both sire and dam were pretty sound before McEvoy arguably pushed the mare too far. 

More later after others have had a go.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:07pm
SUNLIGHT (AUS)Bay filly 2015 
Zoustar
Bay 2010
Northern Meteor
Bay 2005
Encosta de Lago
Bay 1993
Fairy King
Bay 1982
Northern Dancer
Fairy Bridge
2-d
5-h
Shoal Creek
Chestnut 1988
Star Way
Rolls
6-e
4-g
Explosive
Bay 1990
Fappiano
Bay 1977
Mr Prospector
Killaloe
13-c
16-a
Scuff
Chestnut 1979
Forli
Moccasin
3-b
5-h
Zouzou
Bay 2001
Redoute's Choice
Bay 1996
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Razyana
7-a
2-d
Shantha's Choice
Bay 1992
Canny Lad
Dancing Show
14>
8-f
Meteor Mist
Chestnut 1987
Star Shower
Chestnut 1976
Star of Heaven
Show
2-o
8>
Sunbuster
Brown 1982
Blockbuster
Sunshine Lass
1-n
8-k
Solar Charged
Bay or brown 2007
Charge Forward
Bay 2001
Red Ransom
Bay 1987
Roberto
Bay 1969
Hail to Reason
Bramalea
4-n
12-c
Arabia
Bay 1977
Damascus
Christmas Wind
8-h
6-b
Sydney's Dream
Bay 1991
Bletchingly
Brown 1970
Biscay
Coogee
2-o
7-a
Dream Appeal
Bay 1982
Valid Appeal
Cam Shaft
2-c
52>
Soul Singer
Bay 1998
Danehill
Bay 1986
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Razyana
Bay 1981
His Majesty
Spring Adieu
4-d
2-d
Aretha
Bay or brown 1986
Sir Dapper
Bay 1980
Vain
Sikri
A10
C25
Soul Power
Bay 1972
Le Cordonnier
Vol Power
2-n
16-a
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m x 5m Danehill4m x 3f
reductio ad absurdum
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 5:05am
They’ve certainly tried to stay in the pocket with the immediate family over the years. Besides Zoustar’s headline act, can we take anything from the attempts to add Sebring into the equation? What was he supposed to bring to the party & where else can in be found?

I’m usually in the camp that thinks there’s never enough Vain. At least with Sunlight, there are a couple of Wilkes’ daughters in the mix through Meteor Mist, so a maternal Vain influence, say Written Tycoon or All Too Hard, might spark something?

I’m also a Last Tycoon fan, so I’d have Merchant Navy on the shortlist as well.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:49am
I’m with you Red Hare. Never enough Vain. what of the impact of Bletchingly in her pedigree? 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 6:43pm

It’s interesting that you appear to implicitly bag Sebring as a possible match RH.  FWIW I believe the match has definite attractions, such as his:

·         proven sire record;

·         ability to get winners over most distances including Classic performers; and

·         attractiveness from a line breeding perspective, in particular the cross of superb broodmare Rolls.

Admittedly it brings in three (sex balanced) strains of Danehill, but back at 4 x 4, 5.

Not saying it’s brilliant, but still well worth consideration.

And you also suggest All Too Hard which is equally interesting as the pedigree profile that results is extremely similar to that with Sebring, except that ATH introduces more Vain.

Cheers. 
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Confused That's a really weird take on what was posted.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 5:51pm
Well I've apparently misunderstood, so would appreciate if you could explain what you meant by posting ".. can we take anything from the attempts to add Sebring into the equation? What was he supposed to bring to the party & where else can in be found?"
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:58pm
But moving along, here are some others that I either thought might match up - acknowledging that some quite rightly wouldn't be considered by the new owners: ie Impending, Brazen Beau, Russian Revolution and Invader.

I really fancy Impending, but wouldn't go there until he'd proved himself.  No Danehill, but crosses of Encosta, Canny Lad, Mr P, Bletchingly and Vain (for those who like him as do I).  The no Danehill means that any stallion or mare that results can either host or visit any number of the multitude of horses with Danehill blood without over egging the cake.  Exactly as would be the case with my first choice I Am Invincible.  Not that all that many appear would to look a generation forward when planning matings. 

But again over to others to provide opinion, even it might be to seriously question my suggestions.  Wink  Smile
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:11pm
Interesting to read Red Hare's comment that Vain "might spark something." Given that Sunlight was a pure speed machine from a pretty good family, I don't know if there was a missing spark that we should be looking for. Speed on speed would not be the strategy that I would be looking at. Interestingly Causeway Queen won to 2100m and the family traces back to a GB mare called Bunfeast who came out around WW1 and immediately produced Royal Feast who won the VRC and AJC Sires' Produce. A few generations later we see the family visiting stallions like Dhoti and Comic Court although with relatively little success. For me, it would be proven stallions like Lonhro, Pierro or even So You Think that look to have plenty to offer as part of a long term strategy.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2020 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Well I've apparently misunderstood, so would appreciate if you could explain what you meant by posting ".. can we take anything from the attempts to add Sebring into the equation? What was he supposed to bring to the party & where else can in be found?"

Doesn't really matter now.  Appears I've been living in a cave and wasn't aware or couldn't remember that Sebring had passed.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Doesn't really matter now.  Appears I've been living in a cave and wasn't aware or couldn't remember that Sebring had passed.

You're not the only one thinking Halo, although I was thinking more a Deep Impact son than a son of Sebring or More Than Ready.

In no particular order....

Since she has two crosses to Redoute's Choice and no Sir Tristram, Dundeel or Pierro. Lonhro -- not so much, he's not likely to bring some stamina to the mating.  Thinking outside the box: Savabeel.

I Am Invincible because he upgrades pretty much every mare he sees and his dam is by Canny Lad.

Written Tycoon is interesting.  No Danzig but he does Noholme, Marscay, and Vain.  This cross would be all speed, however he's one of the best outcross stallions in Australia for Danehill.

So You Think for a cross to High Chaparral.  I like Dundeel better for a High Chap son.

One more outside the box: Ocean Park.  Although it took him a few years to hit his straps, it's notable that he produces with mares from just about any broodmare sireline.

And that's pretty much it for proven sires in her league with no Danehill.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Appears I've been living in a cave and wasn't aware or couldn't remember that Sebring had passed.

I must have been in the same cave ! Embarrassed  That was kept very quiet I think ?  I saw nothing in the general run of things, and none of ours here posted . Cry   Did they ?? Confused  What happened to him ?
animals before people.
Dizzy View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 2:01pm
Sebring had a heart attack Feb 2019.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:08pm
Hello,
I wasn't lookuing so deep in Sunlight's ped.

My suugestion would be a Sire with Machiavellian in his ped. He is from the same damline as Danehill, but via a different strain.

Zoustar is by "Northern Meteor", a very Close inbred sire from the Dalmary Family. On the other Hand
"Solar Charged" carries none of them, so Sires with Sadlers Wells/Nureyev/Perugine etc. comes to mind.

An interestiong mating would be with the promising 3 year old colt "Palm Springs" (Maxios-Panatella by Medicean) here in Germany.; because he is 3x3 Machiavellian/Coup de Genie FB/FS. I knew, it's very very hypothetical.

A bit of topic "Star Shower" carries the Germanbred Sire "Novalis" (from Owen Tudor).

regards, Ticino

Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 9:35pm
Hello,
as example "Lope de Vega" is 3x3 Machiavellian:

regards, Ticino
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 2:25pm
So what do people think about the Justify match?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:06pm
I thought it simply a case of 'best to best' &/or market aimed, as I did with Invincibella Confused I guess hype always sells well, so probably good econimic decisions.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Progold Progold wrote:

Given that Sunlight was a pure speed machine from a pretty good family, I don't know if there was a missing spark that we should be looking for.  For me, it would be proven stallions like Lonhro, Pierro or even So You Think that look to have plenty to offer as part of a long term strategy.

I'm along this line of thought also, with Impending and Pierata also at the forefront.  Ok they were both best at about 1300m, however believe the strong Lonhro/Octagonal/Zabeel strength might well come to the fore in their well matched progeny.

But reckon you could bet your last dollar that Sunlight will visit Pierro sooner rather than later.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:30pm
With a mare like this it's just not good enough to go to the second tier.  Coolmore have bought her and others to go to Justify.  Yes not my first choice for her either but his Nijinsky blood at least offers some cross for Redoute's and Ogygian (sire of the dam of Johannesburg) is from the same female line as Sunlight herself but is closer to Fappiano (in Zoustar) with them both decending from Plucky Liege.

As she is going to Coolmore there is always the chance she will also visit Pierro or So You Think sometime in the future.  While I think Snitzel is to close for the Redoute's cross.

Also I'd prefer he go to Justify (who's sire was much better) than Amerian Pharoah even though Pioneerof Tee Nile is from the sire line of Fappiano which could be interesting.  But that mating will also probably be on the cards in the future.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:34pm
I forgot to say that I also love the I am Invincible cross but that seems highly unlikely now.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 1:48am
Originally posted by Ticino Ticino wrote:

Hello,
I wasn't lookuing so deep in Sunlight's ped.

My suugestion would be a Sire with Machiavellian in his ped. He is from the same damline as Danehill, but via a different strain.

Zoustar is by "Northern Meteor", a very Close inbred sire from the Dalmary Family. On the other Hand
"Solar Charged" carries none of them, so Sires with Sadlers Wells/Nureyev/Perugine etc. comes to mind.

An interestiong mating would be with the promising 3 year old colt "Palm Springs" (Maxios-Panatella by Medicean) here in Germany.; because he is 3x3 Machiavellian/Coup de Genie FB/FS. I knew, it's very very hypothetical.

A bit of topic "Star Shower" carries the Germanbred Sire "Novalis" (from Owen Tudor).

regards, Ticino

i think you might be on the money there ticino with the sadler's wells - nureyev suggestions, also your machiavellian /coup de folie thoughts , let's hope that they dont waste her as happens so frequently with great racemares, and like always all most of us can do about her is drool and dream

Edited by Take2 - 07 Aug 2020 at 1:57am
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
 Post Reply Post Reply