Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

HEALTH TRICKS & FACTS - Event Date: 24 Feb 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: HEALTH TRICKS & FACTS
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 11:38pm
Hello Dolly-- This will be a short but entertaining thread , I believe.
Firstly .   Respect for the Medical Profession, But they make more mistakes than Vehicle Mechanics , die younger than their Patients.
There are many long gone Medical practices that are probably still better than their replacements.
Doctor's Don't have the time with a person to really work them out.

we can start with a prevalent NO NO .     When dressing an open wound -
NEVER , just pull the dressing off and take all the new growth with it.
IT WILL NEVER HEAL
ALWAYS soak it off , after it has been in place, undisturbed , for long period like 5 days , a week or more.   Doing it's immune system healing , comfortable in the tuile /vaseline "non stick" dressing. Free from infection getting in.

If the dressing needs replacing =   >before re cover.. warm with whatever = hair dryers great .. don't over do the heat ... Some time in the sun .
Replace dressing making sure Tuile /vaseline is plentiful to ensure non stick precaution.
Sometimes---- Gran & Pa were right.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:21am
I was flicking across the channels last night when I came across this bloke who reckons he's found a cure for pain - soak prunes in gin for a fortnight then eat 4 every night. Gin soaked prunes sound rather nice to me so at least you would have a tasty treat every night. Or they might taste terrible.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:44am
Yes, SBS at 9.30, my OH was more than interested but hates gin so that one may go thru' to the keeper LOL I'm sure I googled that last year so wondering if it's a repeat.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:50am
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:12am
Some great reading in those I would say PT.   

I've always shuddered at the number of people who believe what adverts say and rush so they won't miss out.

Many people snore and have difficulty breathing through the nose .

Roll some Cardboard ( usually from the box , Otrivin nasal spray comes in ) After cutting into suitable strips and doubling it over. Roll it around a thin biro and place the suitably sized structure into you nose .
It expands and holds the nose air ways open ..    Works great .   especially with an Otrivin , menthol squirt, prior to.      Sleep Apnea gone.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:28am
Coconut oil is good for the teeth
EAD
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I was flicking across the channels last night when I came across this bloke who reckons he's found a cure for pain - soak prunes in gin for a fortnight then eat 4 every night. Gin soaked prunes sound rather nice to me so at least you would have a tasty treat every night. Or they might taste terrible.

Not sure about that one !  I reckon the prunes would keep you up and down to the loo frequently.  But if the prunes didnt kill the pain the gin might Wink
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 1:32pm

My Granma ( lived to 96 ) after rearing 9 daughters , widowed and then run a 10000 acre cattle & dairy property at Putty NSW. Alone.

She said a must , was to have a clean out every 3 months    Epsom Salts .

If you can't bend over and write your name on the side of the shed during "Motion time" -----   You didn't take enough.

Edited by Gay3 - 25 Feb 2020 at 6:59pm
TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:39pm

Living till 96 is a awesome innings

Edited by Gay3 - 25 Feb 2020 at 7:00pm
EAD
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Not sure about that one !  I reckon the prunes would keep you up and down to the loo frequently.  But if the prunes didnt kill the pain the gin might Wink

My Granma ( lived to 96 ) after rearing 9 daughters , widowed and then run a 10000 acre cattle & dairy property at Putty NSW. Alone.

She said a must , was to have a clean out every 3 months    Epsom Salts .

If you can't bend over and write your name on the side of the shed during "Motion time" -----   You didn't take enough.

Living till 96 is a awesome innings

I was going to mention something like that. I chanced upon a funny little show on SBS called Jasper and Errol's First Time. They had a bit on colonic irrigation.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/program/jasper-and-errols-first-time

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 8:34pm
I don't believe your grandma was a disgusting foul woman Macca. How could you have descended from such a line.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm
My Granny lived out on the Liverpool Plains in a house with no electricity or hot and cold running water until she was 94 and her cure all was castor oil.
Bet none of the young ones here have even tasted castor oil.  But I bet some ancients like myself and Macca grew up on it.
OMG,,,,Sick Revolting stuff. 
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by kavg kavg wrote:

I don't believe your grandma was a disgusting foul woman Macca. How could you have descended from such a line.

Don't set yourself up Kavg... Your still eligible for easier events .

I would love to invite you to Joffs. New look . Well behaved, a must now.

Best ignored 1   = is having a months spell .. Improved on return 4 sure

Best ignored 2 . = is having ( back )problems .. He won't be ( back )

You can't help yourself, but return .. I'm your friend.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:38pm
Confused
animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

Confused

LOL AA ...   What are you going to do now.     You've only got me to throw the darts at..       

I was so pleased to see Kavg back in the danger zone . Good stuff.

A return by that Lady who was so nice to me, when my tractor broke down.

That would be a real achievement.   Built like a tank , strong as an Ox .

But Luv at first fight.

TIGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TIGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:43am
Hibiscus tea is good for people with high blood pressure, was told by someone at work who suffers from high blood pressure, he has two cups a day and it has never felt better
EAD
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:28am

Sounds like a good tonic Wink
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by TIGER TIGER wrote:

Hibiscus tea is good for people with high blood pressure, was told by someone at work who suffers from high blood pressure, he has two cups a day and it has never felt better

Did you say you were feeling your workmates .

English is my 5th language..
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:26pm
Many of us are walking Time bombs through lack of diagnosis .
   Good idea to have a full Blood works done , with everything on the test.

Get a copy from the Doc ( as half of them wouldn't have a clue and your just another car that's had an oil change )     Check on U tube -- google for the normal ranges .
we all know a senior nurse . They are bedside 24/7 .
Celiac's ( alergies to gluten ...   Thyroid = important --- Blood Sugar are a few -----------
These three get under Doctors guard --too often
---------------------
Hypothyroidism

One of the most common results of low iodine is that your thyroid can’t make enough thyroid hormone, a condition called hypothyroidism. This might inflame the gland and cause a goiter, but not always. It could also thin your hair, dry your skin, and make you feel cold, tired, constipated, and depressed. And you might gain weight more easily. But symptoms can take years to appear. Talk to your doctor if you notice any of these signs.
photo of fish eggs and dairy
7 / 12
Foods With Iodine

Seaweed can be a great source, though the amount per serving varies depending on the type you eat. Iodine is also in eggs, dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese, and seafood like shrimp, tuna, and cod. When you see foods labeled “iodized,” like salt, it means they have iodine added. You should be able to get enough from iodized salt, but keep in mind that the salt added to processed foods, like chips or canned soup, often has zero iodine.
photo of person reading supplement label
7 / 12
What About Supplements?

Many multivitamins and seaweed supplements have iodine. But most Americans don’t need extra unless they’re breastfeeding or pregnant. Adults shouldn’t take more than 1,100 mcg per day unless they talk to a doctor first. Scientists don’t yet know if it’s helpful or safe to give supplements to babies that might be low on iodine because of an early birth or some other reason.
photo of nauseated woman
7 / 12
What Happens With Too Much Iodine?

High levels can inflame your thyroid gland and can cause some of the same symptoms that low levels do, including a goiter. A very large dose, like several grams of iodine at once, could put you in a coma. It also might burn your stomach, throat, or mouth, and cause a weak pulse, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Even “normal” levels can cause problems if your body is used to much less iodine in your diet or you already have thyroid problems.
photo of doctor patient consultation
7 / 12
Can Iodine Affect My Other Medicines?

Yes. If you take blood pressure drugs called ACE inhibitors or diuretics like amiloride, eplerenone, spironolactone, and triamterene, iodine supplements can raise potassium in your blood to unsafe levels. And taking them with meds for hyperthyroidism could lower thyroid hormone levels too much. Tell your doctor about all your meds and supplements before you add anything new.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:54pm
However, there is a down side to those damned fasting blood tests i.e the dire need for that obligatory & stimulating cup of coffee on rising Big smile
Mine entail a 1/4hr drive each way, resulting in a one hour craving, hence my test sheet still in the glove box & likely out of date LOL

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:20pm
I've never been into supplements - except the occasional multivitamin if feeling a bit down. I do take a spoonful of Metamucil every morning - helps me stay regular which i think is important. Also have 2 Panadol before bed every night - seem to help me relax ( & i know that not make a lot of sense). Rarely take them any other time. 
Refer ALP Election Promises
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

However, there is a down side to those damned fasting blood tests i.e the dire need for that obligatory & stimulating cup of coffee on rising Big smile
Mine entail a 1/4hr drive each way, resulting in a one hour craving, hence my test sheet still in the glove box & likely out of date LOL

I have my coffee .    That's a bit much...   
Anytime you want a reading analysed by an expert , PM me the numbers .
age -- No need for names or more .
I'd Have the daughter in law, Nurse /Educater/Practioner view it.    She is up with them, for her Uni lecturing.

She did mine and I heard her say to her Husband .

This Bxstard is going to annoy us forever ---   The only thing that's high is his testosterone and no one I know would try and lower that.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

Many multivitamins and seaweed supplements have iodine. But most Americans don’t need extra unless they’re breastfeeding or pregnant. Adults shouldn’t take more than 1,100 mcg per day unless they talk to a doctor first. Scientists don’t yet know if it’s helpful or safe to give supplements to babies that might be low on iodine because of an early birth or some other reason.
photo of nauseated woman

Maxie, I do not care about  "Americans " I am concerned about Australians
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:59pm

Maxie didn't write that post Bob...   Mix ups happen but NOT GUILTY.
I'll consult the American Expert when he returns .. He has a direct line to the White House.

Edited by horlicks - 26 Feb 2020 at 5:50pm
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:01pm
Copy-Paste

Hi All,
I cannot stress enough how important it is for all of us to get the first round of annual influenza vaccinations commencing in mid March.
it will most likely be recommended that we also get a 2nd round vax about 6mths after the 1st vax ( especially those people with chronic health,respiratory conditions, the elderly etc)
Will be available through your GP and various local pharmacists who offer the service ( for a minor cost - under $20 usually).
It doesn't matter if you have minimal contact with others.
As part of this, you should not be getting the flu vax when you are unwell.. should be 'healthy' and asymptomatic re: respiratory and flu -like symptoms.

There is no current vax for the Coronavirus...will be a double-whammy effect should anyone contract both.
It will also be important to self-quarantine in the first 0-14days of being unwell should you get respiratory/flu symptoms

'Nurse Di' Ed.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 6:58pm
Dr on Credlin to day said .

If your showing flu like sYmptoms ;-   STOP taking blood thinners including Asprin , and the anti arthritic drugs ...   While the symptoms remain.
( I have no idea about the merits of that release )
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
I take both so I assume I’m fckef
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 12:44am
Me too Shrunk ,   But I don't have a pretty one to give me a massage.

I was thinking of having a massage ..   Do they give them with benefits or do you get left with the dangerous Blood Pressure.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:41pm
LEARN the medical literature of your illnesses.
Don't become a victim of every illness you read about.
Doctor GOOGle is a Specialist.

Spend an hour on any particular illness and you will have done as much study on it as the GP you go to see.
   But you will know more.    
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:51pm
What you say is largely correct, macca, unless the reader is terribly unfamiliar with the basic function of the body, many people would not even know what the difference is between an aneurysm and an artichoke.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>