Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

HEALTH TRICKS & FACTS - Event Date: 24 Feb 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

What you say is largely correct, macca, unless the reader is terribly unfamiliar with the basic function of the body, many people would not even know what the difference is between an aneurysm and an artichoke.

Can be learnt with enough interest.    When you think about it,   a Doctor is in the same boat on their first day.   Many of them haven't progressed much.
People take medications whether they need them or not , just because they started getting a script , maybe years before and have never been reviewed.
Paracetamol the great liver destroyer is the worst offender I know.
Many Kidney problems were /are caused by Chemical intake. (Phenacetin)
We train terrific Doctors but most are paying overseas students.
Hard to get in to do Medicine if your Australian schooled.
Then we get our Doctors by the truckloads of skilled Medical Migrants who trained in the "Sudan" or similar areas.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:18pm
I heard recently of a kid who was always topping the class, unexpectedly got OP2 instead of the OP1 needed to enter medicine at uni, is quite devastated that his ambition to be a doctor, is thwarted. I guess someone that got an OP1 will take his place, despite not wanting particularly to be a doctor. Dumb system that.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:49pm
I've been talking quite often two several Doctors in recent months and although I have always known --- It's amazing how little some know.

My Son has been quite ill for some years actually and impossible to get him to see a Doctor .   Until recently , when he collapsed when driving , got himself to me and I called an Ambulance .
Despite being in the highest Health Insurance level .   To get a referral for timely attention is almost impossible.
One said a few days ago " Come back in a month Your Thyroid may have settled by then"   despite the ultra sound highlighted = Gland swollen , immflamation,   twice normal size , consistent with Thyroiditis.
Couldn't believe Dr=   Suffer for another Month = No Anti bodes - or Cortizone in an effort to treat--
I've fixed that -- He goes to a Endocrinologist Tuesday and a new GP Monday.

People brag about our wonderful Health Service ===   BULLgelati, we are over run with imported Crap That should never be General Practioners.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:53pm
Macca, the elephant in the room is why was you son so stupid as to not get himself checked out?
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Macca, the elephant in the room is why was you son so stupid as to not get himself checked out?

Good Question Shrunk ...   When you have kids, By the time they are about 13 Dad Knows little .. and from then on , You know a bit when your writing them a cheque .    When they become quite Financially sound DAD knows less than NOTHING.
" I'M all right, I don't want to talk about it".

Bull Headed ( a fair description )   No real answers and probably deserved to do it tough for awhile .   
He's a BABY ATM because he is quite ill ... When he get's well , I'm sure

DAD will know less than he did before.     Having now sacked HIS Medical Choice
( He is listening ATM almost begging and I will just guide him , I'm not a Doctor , but have him now in the hands of a capable GP who knows what he's doing.   AND will get it done in a timely manner
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 9:33am
THIS SHOULD ATTRACT SOME SHXT FOR ME

FOOLS , Milk products are only for Babies , MOTHER NATURE SAID SO.
   ( Otherwise Dad would drink it all )

COP THIS = 70% of the worlds matured Population is allergic to Dairy Products.    Your not supposed to drink the milk , The Calf is .
   You eat the calf.

Grains can be poison:-    Birds eat the grain . YOU eat the Bird.
( That's how you avoid Celiac Disease ) Worlds health is go Gluten free)
Upset that Woman ( Mother Nature at your Peril ) any woman actually.

Most Fruit & vegetables are healthy too,
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:25pm
Yes, milk isn't really defensible as a food for adults. And it isn't human milk, but the milk of a quite different animal. We hear we need milk to get the calcium. Well, if that is so, what is either making us need more calcium than formerly, or what were we eating that gave sufficient calcium in the distant past, that we are not now getting ? For the greater part of human history, people did not consume animal milk. All valid questions, but the answer appears to be, "just do what you are told, and eat your dairy"
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 12:51pm
No No No Max .   Being serious and I know I knock the Medics Terribly,
Despite their expertise has given me at least 30 extra years of life .

Drug Companies are hell . They distribute this propaganda re things like Calcium , Vit C etc ..    A Blood works and I'll tell you in minutes if you need to change the eating habits etc etc . Conflict of Interest.
Leafy Vegetables , soy, nuts etc are good vit C , but why take it as a suppliment if your blood works say you don't need it.   GP's don't have the time to fully analyse these things , so you learn to read them yourself . Same as the Dr did.
When the Medical sites say 70% === LISTEN & explore .   Document your eating habits for a period , what has you well / visa versa . TRY IT
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:01pm
It is a fact that most people would not get to retirement age, without medical intervention of some kind, and particularly antibiotics, and surgery of some kind.
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:45pm
mrs marble has put me on a health kick. Less red meat, more salads and vegetables and fruit. more walking and less beer Confused  My favourite with a beer was BBQ chips - now she brings home Lentil chipsDead the only fun left is having a punt
Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:13pm
It’s all about longevity, Marble, so that you can keep punting for much longer! 💪 Mrs Marble is on your side 😊💞
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
marble View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 6:59pm
i know she is is sister - tough love!
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:04pm
We have very Healthy Sewer Systems.        > The wasted Vitamin supplements they get in Urine assures them of that
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 10:49am
Originally posted by marble marble wrote:

mrs marble has put me on a health kick. Less red meat, more salads and vegetables and fruit. more walking and less beer Confused  My favourite with a beer was BBQ chips - now she brings home Lentil chipsDead the only fun left is having a punt

Mrs Marble is the brains of your Family ( say hello to her )

That walking bit is a good case of ( Use it or lose it )

I can only walk about 20 meters . Then the legs get heavy , the Back goes and then I just HAVE to sit or get the weight off, the lower half .
Main reason I think, is for Months I've not tried to walk 20 meters.
I'm working on it..     Now listen & follow the good wife , is good advice .
      They usually make sure we listen.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 3:47pm
There's increasing evidence to suggest that low levels of vitamin D may play a role in thyroid disorders. For instance, research has suggested a possible link between vitamin D deficiency and autoimmune thyroid disorders, namely Hashimoto's thyroiditis, the most common cause of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid), and Grave's disease, characterized by an overactive thyroid.1

In one study, 72 percent of subjects with autoimmune thyroid disease were deficient in vitamin D, while just under 31 percent of healthy subjects had low levels of D. Similarly, a study of people in Greece with Hashimoto's thyroiditis revealed that more than 85 percent of them had low levels of vitamin D, as well as high levels of anti-thyroid antibodies.2

Vitamin D supplementation also has shown promise as a way to help treat thyroid disease. In the Greek study, for example, the Hashimoto thyroiditis patients who were deficient in vitamin D took 1,200 to 4,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D every day for four months, after which time they had significantly lower levels of anti-thyroid antibodies. (The Recommended Daily Allowance, or RDA, for vitamin D is 600 IU; see below for more specifics.)

In yet another study, people with hypothyroidism who took extra vitamin D supplements for 12 weeks had improvements in blood levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (although the extra D did not affect levels of the actual thyroid hormones triiodothyronine, T3, and thyroxine, T4).3

Much more research needs to be done before specific guidelines for using vitamin D to prevent or treat thyroid disease are established by the medical community. However, given the growing understanding of how important vitamin D is to overall health, it's worth making sure you're getting enough of it. You might even want to talk to your doctor about testing you for a deficiency, especially if you have a thyroid condition or are at risk for one.
Defining Vitamin D
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 4:40pm
Great to see you having a look at these studies Macca, Although I think the recommended level is still too low in my point of view.
We take 10,000(IU) a day in one simple pill and it is chewable, very good cost wise as well. I think the brand is Brosnan and we get it from the USA.

So many other heath problems would Benefit and would be fair to say prevent some deseases from vitamin D supplementation. Every cell in our bodies has vitamin D receptors.

Not every one can get out in the sun for it, some countries that lack sun actually put it in the food.

Just go ask the trees and grass and all gods creatures where would we be without it.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 5:04pm
14 hours sleep last night ( Prostate trips deducted ).     
Great for insomnia on occasions ,is the OVER THE COUNTER anti histamine group.
Don't make a habit of them but work they do, in small doses.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:16pm
That should read Bronson brand vit D. Grass Roots Health is a good website to look at. They do a lot of studies.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:54pm
Appears Vit D is needed more than most believe.

Have Dr do bloodworks and that tells you.

Vit C is another not produced in the body, Folic Acid important as is Magnesia . B12.
Kidney related readings .   Knowledge is never wasted

That's Why it's important to get a bloodworks printout from yr Doc and check them against "NORMAL" levels yourself.
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:49am
Clap
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:23pm
The knockers of Trump taking the protective Malaria drug.
I read where you have to take it if you visit parts of Africa.

Donald is one smart cookie.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:53am
Sometimes you wonder , Don't people think.

Radio talk back giving Talc powder the big lift , Some said how much they love the smell.
   Dangerous as you can get if breathed in. Along with metal filings , saw dust , Fumes from disinfectants , bleaches when in hot water. etc.

I'll have a smoke while thinking about that one.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:35am
Originally posted by maccamax maccamax wrote:

The knockers of Trump taking the protective Malaria drug.
I read where you have to take it if you visit parts of Africa.

Donald is one smart cookie.

But wait, Donald’s leg might fall off due to the drug. Don’t you know, it’s not safe
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:38am
Do you have a link for that Shrunk, a leg falling off?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:41am
no mate I don’t but I’m sure you can find one somewhere 😆
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:42am
Not trying to mislead soft Trumpers are you?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:45am
if not, just make one up 😁
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 10:46am
Trumpers are not so silly as to be misled 
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:00am
Trmpers are king of the ring ATM.       1 hour is a long time in Politics.

I'm still waiting for Morrison to Dump the Paris accord .   Bromwyn will not be pleased.
   Must be some mistake ---     That's a Turnbull line.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:04am
With Abbott out of the picture and Morrison's approval through the roof, the loony right deniers are in the outhouse plotting their next move but have bugger all ammo. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>