Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Stallions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Shalaa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shalaa
    Posted: 30 Dec 2019 at 6:05pm
Couldn't find a thread on him so here goes, my pick for champion first season sire of his year. Loved his foals and now I just love the look and movement of his yearlings. Looking forward to the debuts next season of his troops.
Taxidriver View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 6:35pm
He's a chance. His pedigree, type & G1 performance as a 2yo give him a real chance. The Invincible Spirit line seems better as 3yos, but Shalaa has early speed on his dam line. The two fillies I have looked at are lots 428 and 546. Impressed by both, probably leaning a little to the 546 filly. 
Vivarchi View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivarchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by Taxidriver Taxidriver wrote:

He's a chance. His pedigree, type & G1 performance as a 2yo give him a real chance. The Invincible Spirit line seems better as 3yos, but Shalaa has early speed on his dam line. The two fillies I have looked at are lots 428 and 546. Impressed by both, probably leaning a little to the 546 filly. 

546 is also my pick of the Shalaa's.

The High Chaparral line is my favorite as i think they love it down here in Oz. Invincible Spirit line is my sprinting/precocious equivalent. I think the Shalaa's, Cable Bay's, Brazen Beau's, Charm Spirit's and Territories are big chances.

goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:50pm
I look forward to seeing the results of the cross of Bletchingly, to bolster Danzig in his pedigree , there a couple with this bloodline, but quite liked a few.
Taxidriver View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taxidriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 3:35pm
Have revised my list and after watching lot 458 .. she goes to the top of my Shalaa fillies list. The ones I saw had great temperaments, didn't bat an eyelid, didn't get stressed, very cool attitudes..all well boned, maybe lot 428 a bit heavy..walked heavy..the others classy types with great heads..
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:02am
Shalaa had a winner in France overnight.  A 1/2 sister to National Defense who stands at stud here this season.

Unnamed  
Shalaa (IRE)
Bay 2013
Invincible Spirit
Bay 1997
Green Desert
Bay 1983
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Foreign Courier
Bay 1979
Sir Ivor
Courtly Dee
8-g
A4
Rafha
Bay 1987
Kris
Chestnut 1976
Sharpen Up
Doubly Sure
5-i
2-o
Eljazzi
Bay 1981
Artaius
Border Bounty
14-c
7-a
Ghurra
Bay 2002
War Chant
Bay or brown 1997
Danzig
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Pas de Nom
2-d
7-a
Hollywood Wildcat
Bay or brown 1990
Kris S
Miss Wildcatter
10-a
4-r
Futuh
Grey 1988
Diesis
Chestnut 1980
Sharpen Up
Doubly Sure
5-i
2-o
Hardship
Grey 1977
Drone
Hard and Fast
1-l
1-w
Angel Falls (GB)
Bay 2006
Kingmambo
Bay 1990
Mr Prospector
Bay 1970
Raise a Native
Chestnut 1961
Native Dancer
Raise You
5-f
8-f
Gold Digger
Bay 1962
Nashua
Sequence
3-m
13-c
Miesque
Bay 1984
Nureyev
Bay 1977
Northern Dancer
Special
2-d
5-h
Pasadoble
Bay 1979
Prove Out
Santa Quilla
4-c
20>
Anna Palariva
Chestnut 1995
Caerleon
Bay 1980
Nijinsky
Bay 1967
Northern Dancer
Flaming Page
2-d
8-f
Foreseer
Bay or brown 1969
Round Table
Regal Gleam
2-f
1-s
Anna of Saxony
Chestnut 1989
Ela-Mana-Mou
Bay 1976
Pitcairn
Rose Bertin
7-a
3-g
Anna Matrushka
Chestnut 1984
Mill Reef
Anna Paola
22-d
7-f
 Ancestor duplications:Northern Dancer5m,5m x 5m,5m Danzig4m,4m x Sharpen Up5m,5m x 
  Doubly Sure5m,5m x
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:04am
Interesting to see it is from the 7f family which Lunchtime belongs too.  Invincible Spirit has done well with Biscay and Lunchtime blood as both in Canny Lad sire of the dam of I am Invincible.  Biscay being the same female family as Doubly Sure.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 11:47am
Originally posted by goldey goldey wrote:

I look forward to seeing the results of the cross of Bletchingly, to bolster Danzig in his pedigree , there a couple with this bloodline, but quite liked a few.

With Shalaa having a double of Danzig and also carrying a triple cross of Rockefella and possibly adding to it with Invincible Spirit coming from the same 7a family (much deeper though) , Bletchingly would fit really well . 
Is that part of the strength in I am Invincible's pedigree ? 
There are three types of lies - Lies ,Damn Lies and Statistics
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:02pm
Quite possibly MR Prospector.  We might all study pedigrees and it's amazing how we all find something different but Bletchingly and Danzig had a brilliant time of it back in the early eighties.  Continued on with Canny Lad Bletchingly's best son and his bit of Lunchtime 7-f didn't seem to hurt either. 
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:29pm
the to show how fickle ideas can be Spirit of Sahara (Invincible Spirit from a Danehill mare)  finished last in an english race.  THe mare had some winning runners to start with then a couple of multiple winners in 2012 and 14 but the last three haven't won.  So something could of soured with her.  You never really can know.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:31pm
I don't think there is a right and wrong furious ,and that's half the fun .
 I totally agree re Biscay and Doubly Sure and that would also add to the strength of Bletchingly being in the pedigree .
Brazen Beau is another one with his dam bringing back Danzig and Bletchingly up close and then back into I am Invincible again. 
There are three types of lies - Lies ,Damn Lies and Statistics
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Quite possibly MR Prospector.  We might all study pedigrees and it's amazing how we all find something different but Bletchingly and Danzig had a brilliant time of it back in the early eighties.  Continued on with Canny Lad Bletchingly's best son and his bit of Lunchtime 7-f didn't seem to hurt either.   

Fast forward to the twenties and our 3yo Double Wraps debuts today at Wagga.  Danzig 4S x 4D (admittedly both via Danehill), Bletchingly 4S x 4D, 4D.  Let's hope.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:42pm
good luck SC.
Ted View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
Fair debut! Star

Congrats SC Clap
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:15pm
Can't do more than win.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:27pm
Hello,
btw, hIt's the direct damline of Helmet (Exceed and Excell) and Epaulette, the common ancester is "Anna Matrushka" (Mill Reef) from the "Anna Paola" Family in Germany. The foundationnmare was  "Adria"(Sagacity) imported from Italy and related with Persimmon/Diamond Jubilee/Florizel II. So far I remember, all 3 Sires had a FS named Nadeshda, which I spot in AUS/NZ peds.
Besides the winner in England from the direct damline of abovementioned filly, see Anna Salai, Iguazu Falls, Pozarica, Annaba (Sire), and Anna Monda (Champion 3 year old filly in Germany 2005).

National Defence is a new name for me. According your info he stands/huttles to AUS. So I see a possibility to send him broodmares by Helmet/Epaulette.

Shalaa is inbred to Kris/Dieses 3x3 and from the same damline as the very successful, but meanwhile
deceased Sire "Dashing Blade" from the "Doubly Sure" branch. Lord of England is his best son . standing in my home County.#

Best regards from Germany, Ticino
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:58pm
Hello,
it's me again.

Unfortunately I made a mistake. The correct name of the FS from Persimmon and his FB's is
"Nadejda" and her son "Markhope" (by Marcovil) was sent down under.

regards, Ticino
John H View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 11:22pm
At the risk of getting totally off topic, but in response to Ticino's post re Markhope, a stallion I had never heard of, I found some info. of interest.

Bred by King George V, he was initially at stud in NZ for a few seasons before the dispersal of the Elderslie Stud in 1919, where he was purchased by Sir Rupert Clarke to stand at his Kismet Stud (?) at Sunbury, Victoria.

Newspaper reports at the time mentioned Markhope had sired winners in NZ, but after doing my best to check his results in Australia, found not only no SWs but also that in the 1925/26 season, when his oldest local progeny would have been 5yos, there are no winners recorded in that year's Turf Register. Markhope died in February, 1926, having stood for a fee of 25 guineas in 1925.

An international horse of mystery.
Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 2:39am
Hello,
many thanks for your response, regarding Markhope abnd the the info about him.

Well, I did some Research about his offspring and discovered something very, very interesting. Markhope appears in the damline of a stalwart of NZ Racing, noneother than "Tulloch", his third dam 'Unawed' by Markhope o/o Unawares by Gipsy Grand. I found this info at p. 164 from the book by Ross Du Bourg: "The Australian and New Zealand Thoroughbred".

According "pedigreequery" following Broodmares are by Markhope:
Kerb (Fam. 27) NZ
Bright Mark (Fam. 17-b)
Fretwork (Fam. 31)
March Off (Fam.14-f) NZ
Nope (Fam. 10-d) NZ
Parchment (2-g) AUS
Unawed (Fam. 24) NZ
Winsome Lady (Fam. 7-d)

It's very likely, the list is incomplet

regards, Ticino

Ticino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ticino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:29pm
Hello,
maybe you are interested to read, Shalaa has groupplaced offspring in England.

Saeiqa (Shalaa-Present Danger by Cadeux Genereux), colt,  3placed "Coventry Stakes", Group 2,
2 year olds, 1200 meter, Ascot (GB), 20.06.20.
Breeder: Silfield Bloodstock & Trickledown Stud; Trainer John Gosden, Jockey: M. Dwyer

regards, Ticino
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 5:24pm
Shalaa , has got a 2yo going around in the next in Japan race 9 , looks a nice horse in the making .
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:13pm
Good call Ticino (see above).

Interestingly he's only going "ok" in the European 1st season sires list despite his own precocity and opportunity.  Season nearly over and not a superior juvenile in evidence.

Ok early days, but go figure.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Well we have to look at Danehill and his Australian results which out figured his English ones until they realised he was a superior sire.  Then he got the right mates and his stakes results got better.  Also we can't talk when Galileo is the superior sire over there and we couldn't get him going.  So I'll wait and see.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 10:12pm
Yep so true furious , one fruit cake doesn't make an asylum .
Progold View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Progold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 8:38am
I did a study some years back that suggested if a shuttle stallion had significant success in the UK, they were almost certain to perform poorly in Australia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 10:04am
And it's the reverse of that which I was hinting at Progold.

Not often a "just" sprinting stallion (thus far) in GB hits the ground running with his first SH progeny.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:27am
Anyone done a study on how American horses do in Ozz ??
animals before people.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Progold Progold wrote:

I did a study some years back that suggested if a shuttle stallion had significant success in the UK, they were almost certain to perform poorly in Australia.

What on earth could be the factors behind that ?

Was it ever published ?

reductio ad absurdum
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 2:51pm
I wonder if the study went into where the stallion stood first. Could it be that a NH stallion starting in the NH spring has trouble acclimatising to the SH spring and vice versa.

What would be even more interesting and possibly further evidence is if a NH stallion serves his 1st crop in SH and vice versa.
Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2021 at 4:49pm
Tick?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>