Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Historical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Who am I?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who am I?
    Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:24pm
Bred in Vic, sold to WA, race record is 40 starts, 17 wins, 8 seconds, 5 thirds and 3 fourths. Won from 5f to 1 1/2 miles. In WA won Sires Produce Stks, Belgravia Stks, WA GNS, Strickland a Stks, Winterbottom Stks, WA Derby. In Vic, won Liston Stks, two Toorak Hcps, Invitation Stks amongst his wins. Successful but not outstanding stallion at stud, due to “colonial” bias at the time of going to stud.
Brudder_A View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brudder_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:32pm
Nicopolis (Landau - Ballater Belle)

Edited by Gay3 - 22 Dec 2019 at 8:40am
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:42pm
I remember he sired some super wet trackers.............that was back when we used to have them Cry
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:44pm
I was a complete dud on track and at stud, but 2 of my my brothers were champions, another very good and a fourth was a city winner. All four of my brothers were successful sires, 3 champion sires and the fourth commercially successful.
Try this one Brueeer 🧐😏
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:55pm
Walton?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 7:58pm
Todman Noholme brothers
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 8:01pm
+ Faringdon & Shifnal Big smile
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 8:16pm
Great initiative Majestic.  Keep 'em coming. 
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2019 at 10:34pm
The Queen owned Landau I think.

Edited by Gay3 - 22 Dec 2019 at 8:41am
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 9:27am
Who am I? I was a bay stallion whose sire won a Derby and whose dam won an Oaks. Unfortunately I inherited none of my parent’s ability, possibly due to my temperament being very sour , verging on dangerous. I stood in Victoria and, although I sired some good winners, I am remembered for my one and only SW which was an out and out champion.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 9:28am
Sorry, I was chestnut
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
Sostenuto?

Imagele
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 10:00am
I was thinking Durham Ranger sire of Durbridge - but the Oaks winning dam isn't there.
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 10:59am
The stallion was imported from England in the middle 60’s
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:01am
PT, Sostenuto did not win a Derby and Cele’# Image did not win an Oaks
VSP. View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSP. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:05am
Didnt Sostenuto stand in NSW too?
www.snowshoecats.webs.com
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:12am
Thanks, I was just taking a stab on the insane and dangerous bit and one standout son.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:16am
Actually, the temperament of Sostenuto and my mystery stallion were very similar. Both treacherous, verging on mad.
Another clue, the SW was ridden often by the grandfather of a recently retired jockey.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

Who am I? I was a bay stallion whose sire won a Derby and whose dam won an Oaks. Unfortunately I inherited none of my parent’s ability, possibly due to my temperament being very sour , verging on dangerous. I stood in Victoria and, although I sired some good winners, I am remembered for my one and only SW which was an out and out champion.

I assume as you are not specifying which Derby and Oaks they were they must be the only ones that count, The Epsom variety. Beer 
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Majestic Majestic wrote:

The stallion was imported from England in the middle 60’s

Well at least I was correct on that count LOL
reductio ad absurdum
Summer Regent View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer Regent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 11:48am
Was it Icarus, sire of Gay Icarus?

Icarus' sire won an Italian Derby
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:18pm
Yes SR, his sire did win the Italian Derby and his dam won the English Oaks.
Mick Mallyon used to ride Gay Icarus for Mr Birchley and Mick is grandfather to Kaytlin.
As a youngster living in Werribee at the time, a bunch of us horse mad kids used to ride our bikes to Tarneit to see the new foals in springtime. Icarus was at a farm run by a Mr Flynn and he “caught” us looking at a horse in a round yard. The walls were pitted with kick marks and he told us in no uncertain terms the horse in the round yard was Icarus and never put any part of us into the yard. After talking to him for maybe half an hour, he showed us more mares and foals. We became regular visitors after that intro.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer Regent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:53pm
Great memories, Majestic. He was obviously generous with his time and kids could roam much more freely in those days. 

Just looking through horses foaled in 1967. There were no superstars apart from Gunsynd but it was a great crop. Here's a dozen of the best with their approximate records. There wouldn't be too many better years for depth.

Abdul (1967) 66 15½½/5/8

Apollo Eleven (1967) 87 12/9/7 Aust 10 5/1/-

Baguette (1967) 31 15/7/4

Battle Heights (1967) 115 23/14/14½ (?)  Aust 37 7/3/4½

Dual Choice (1967) 28 16/4/3

Gay Icarus (1967) 42 12/6/5

Gunsynd (1967) 54 29/6½/8

Igloo (1967) 48 15/6/8 Aust 28 8/3/4

Royal Show (1967) 23 8/5½/3½(?)

Silver Sharpe (1967) 19 3/3½/6

Triton (1967) 28 13/3/4

Zambari (1967) 90 22½/9/10

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 12:59pm
Remember him well Majestic , little mate of mine use to ride him too , Gary Gath who passed away far too young, still have a photo today of Gay Icarus beating my horse a head in that /71 Australian Cup, he carried 7-10 ,we carried 8-10 and jumped from 16 alley, big money slipped out of our hands that day, Tony Lopes gave him a try after he broke down ( Gay Ic.) but he went again , may have won one for tony.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer Regent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 1:18pm
Gay Icarus had 10 starts after his return to racing in 1973. He won the Craiglee Stakes in 1973 and was 2nd in the 1973 Liston and 3rd in the Craiglee and Underwood in 1974. His last race was the 1974 Caulfield Cup where he was 4th with 58.5 to Leilani. 

Looking at his record under Tony Lopes, it wasn't as bad as I'd remembered. He was certainly competitive. 

Rajah Sahib was yours, Carioca? He was a great galloper. Hard to believe it was half-a-century ago that they were going around!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 3:19pm
I was just his strapped mate, he came to our stable after a stint in Brisbane , his form had gone down so low that he was a kilo or two of the bottom weight in a welter, that's a decent drop for a horse who 3 years earlier had won a Cox Plate and Caulfield GNS. first time I rode whenhe came down we went a mile evens on the grass , I said to my boss how is this horse been getting beat! told him every day he was Clarke Gable and we turned that beautiful horse around to where he once was , fair while ago SummerR.
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer Regent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 3:59pm
That just shows what a bit of TLC will do, Carioca. It must have been such a rewarding experience.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2019 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Summer Regent Summer Regent wrote:

That just shows what a bit of TLC will do, Carioca. It must have been such a rewarding experience.

It was Summer Regent , he was a tired and dejected horse when he came to us, he and I went everywhere, Adelaide twice , won George Adams at Morph, Birthday Cup Vic.Park. Doncaster in Syd. the Stradbroke in Brissie, he went to Claude Haigs Balhannah Stud one tree hill SA on retirement, fond memories of the Pakistan11 stock fwiw. cheers mate.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 9:53pm
New who am I.
I was pretty useless as a baby. I “struck” form as a 3yo when I was on holidays. My father was a commercial success as a stallion but his owner did “time” for AI’ing and my dad lost 2 full crops, the resultant foals being registered as Not ABS . I graduated to WFA racing and was successful in many now rated Gp1’s. My trainer was registered but my training was dictated by then 2nd best jockey in Vic. Who am I?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2019 at 10:18pm
I'm going to go with a gelding Majestic, which could put me out straight away, how about
Winfreux.

Edited by Gay3 - 28 Dec 2019 at 7:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>