Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Greens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 55>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 7:31pm

Despite the Greens controlled Moreland Council voting in favor of the name change of Moreland to Merri-Bek, it appears local community groups and sporting clubs are reluctant to adopt the name change. Moreland Health Group, Moreland City Soccer Club , Moreland Eagles Football Club and Moreland Rotary Club are among groups citing costly brand overhauls with no grassroot support to ditch the offending word and never receiving complaints about the name relating back to an 18th Century slave plantation in Jamaica. 

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 8:58pm
There is no obligation on clubs or non Council-affiliated organizations to change their names.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2022 at 9:30pm
Nor should they 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 7:40pm
The other day I heard someone say we should cut Adam Bandt some slack.  It must be hell for him to ride his bike from Melbourne to  Canberra with the weather the way it is once he crosses the Murray River.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 9:45am
Doesn't he drive a Tesla Bob?

He also pushed Morrison to use EVs for com cars. CoalMo said no, you cant drive them at night or they wont tow your caravan on weekends.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 12:46pm
Well the Greens have come out with another simplistic thought bubble to solve the housing crisis for renters. They are proposing the federal government legislate a freeze on all rental increases for the next two years, and thereafter allow landlords to limit further increase in rental to 2% every two years. 
That might sound great for renters but what are the consequences for landlords ?

If LGAs and state governments froze their rates and taxes, loan mortgage rates, insurance rates, body corporate rates, trades for repairs etc are also frozen the Greens might have a case, however would you think, for one moment, that any of those costs to landlords would be frozen for one year, let alone two years, you live in a dream world like the Greens.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 8:36pm
Pleased to hear Elbow has given that ridiculous Greens proposal the khyber. It is hard to believe  the Greens wanted to nationalise private rental.
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2022 at 9:04pm
 Bobbie, not nationalise, regulate.
But yeah, not their best idea…..
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 11:31am
What does Nationalise mean?
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg\" viewBox=\"0 0 24 24\">"); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; margin-top: -1px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

Nationalization is the process of taking privately-controlled companies, industries, or assets and putting them under the control of the government.
Any landlord's property is a privately owned asset, therefore "nationalise" is an appropriate term to use in the context of my post.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 11:33am
If only we had nationalised the mines like Rex tried to.Tongue
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2022 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

What does Nationalise mean?
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg\" viewBox=\"0 0 24 24\">"); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; margin-top: -1px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

Nationalization is the process of taking privately-controlled companies, industries, or assets and putting them under the control of the government.
Any landlord's property is a privately owned asset, therefore "nationalise" is an appropriate term to use in the context of my post.

Cmon Bobbie,
That’s a poorly worded definition, that I hope(for your sake) that you’ve deliberately chosen to misunderstand.
If you want, I can embarrass you,and post another half dozen definitions that clearly define nationalisation as the state taking ownership….
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:43pm
These loopy Greens are at it again. Under Victoria's constitution , all members of parliament have to swear allegiance to the Crown before they can take their seat in parliament, however Green members are objecting having to swear allegiance to Chares III as, in their eyes, he was not elected to be the Sovereign. Well if these dopes do not want to have a seat in the Victorian parliament they can resign and go and get a real job, rather than sitting on the cross bench twiddling their thumbs.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 8:47pm
Not to agree at all with the greens Bob but was surprised the Vics had to swear on oath of allegiance to Charles as in the last swearing ins I saw (not Vic) they swore allegiance to Queen Elizabeth the second her heirs and successors.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 9:35pm
Correct, those loopy Greens object to swearing allegiance to the Queen's heirs and successors, yet they have done so when previously taking their seats in the parliament. 
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 1:13am
 They shouldn't swear at all...

Evil Smile
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 9:34am
There are other options Bob, like bring forward a referendum to become a Republic and then everyone can swear allegiance to the Australian Constitution and it's people. 

Makes far more sense.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:50am
In an opinion piece in this morning's press Theo Theophanous, former ALP federal minister, has argued that Adam Bandt, the leader of the Greens, is losing control of the party to extremists and the party is no longer "the party of the environment". 

Theophanous cites Bandt's deputy Mehreen Faruqi in her unsavoury comments on the death of the Queen and her refusal to swear allegiance in parliament and Lidia Thorpe's storming through parliament in full black power salute giving the finger to those assembled. All of which are damaging the Greens brand and is transforming the party into a party of extremist indigenous positions that do no benefit to First Nation peoples.

Bandt cannot claim to be a leader while he refuses to criticise those extremists in his party and is showing himself as a weak leader.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 11:53am
Just growing pains Bobby. After taking a heap of seats off the Libs they suddenly have a sense of power and like the bigger parties you get a broader range of views. They are just testing views.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 8:53pm
Talk about a party that has no idea about their own party's history.

The Greens have apologised after mistakenly claiming one of their NSW upper house candidates would be the first Indigenous MP in the state.

The error was made in a fundraising email sent on Tuesday asking for support for a candidate for the 2023 state election, Wiradjuri and Badu Island woman Lynda-June Coe. The apology was also directed at Auburn MP Lynda Voltz, whose Aboriginal grandfather grew up on the St Clair Aboriginal Mission in Singleton“ .The original email incorrectly stated that, if elected, Lynda-June would be ‘the first First Nations woman in the NSW Parliament’.

“In fact, Linda Burney was elected as the Member for Canterbury to the Lower House in 2003, and Lynda Voltz was elected to the Upper House in 2007.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 6:51pm

Leaked email reveals Greens staffer ‘scared and in shock’ after Lidia Thorpe’s ‘truly awful’ outburst

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/leaked-email-reveals-greens-staffer-scared-and-in-shock-after-lidia-thorpe-s-truly-awful-outburst-20220905-p5bfdn.html

Greens senator Lidia Thorpe’s former chief-of-staff says he was scared and appalled by her outburst in a meeting with two Indigenous community leaders at Parliament House last year, describing her behaviour among the most unprofessional conduct he has ever witnessed.

The claims by Thorpe’s ex-top adviser reinforce the account of the meeting by Aboriginal elder Aunty Geraldine Atkinson, aged in her 70s, who has previously alleged the tirade of abuse levelled at her by the senator distressed her so much that she sought medical attention from the parliamentary nurse.

David Mejia-Canales, who resigned from Thorpe’s office in June, accompanied the senator to the meeting with Atkinson and Marcus Stewart, the co-chairs of the First Peoples’ Assembly of Victoria, and their policy adviser, Nicole Schlesinger, to discuss the state’s treaty process in a committee room in Parliament House, Canberra, on June 22, 2021.

His account of what happened and his efforts to inform the Greens’ leadership of Thorpe’s “appalling conduct” are detailed in an apology email sent from his Parliament House address to Atkinson and Stewart in June, one year after the meeting, as one of his final acts before leaving the senator’s office.

In the email, a copy of which has been obtained by The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, Mejia-Canales said he still did not know why Thorpe had agreed to the meeting only to proceed “to behave so badly”.

“Since that meeting, I have wanted to reach out to you to apologise because the conduct that I witnessed at that meeting was by far one of the most unprofessional displays I have ever seen, not just during the length of my career, but in my life,” the email said.

Mejia-Canales described his shock at how the meeting “went so wrong and so quickly” and said his “biggest regret” was not ending the meeting sooner. He said he ended the meeting by getting a colleague to call the room’s phone.

“I hope that you can understand that I was scared and in shock because I have never, ever been in that situation at work,” he wrote.

“Eventually, I did discreetly text my colleagues to ask one of them to ring the committee room we were in, I then pretended that it was an urgent phone call and we needed to leave therefore cutting the meeting short.”

The claims by Mejia-Canales about Thorpe’s behaviour follow a period of scrutiny on Parliament House’s workplace culture, including the damning 2021 Jenkins report that examined bullying and sexual harassment within the building and recommended a new code of conduct for federal MPs and their staff be implemented. A special joint select committee will hold public hearings this week on a code of conduct.

Mejia-Canales described how he “wanted the earth to swallow me whole” as he and Thorpe exited the meeting room into a public part of Parliament House, where a class “of excited school children” were waiting. He said they gave an impromptu speech welcoming the children to the building and “had to pretend as if everything was fine and normal”.

“I had just witnessed the most unprofessional conduct, and now I was staring at about 30 children who wanted to know what it’s like to work at Parliament House. It was truly awful,” he said.

Mejia-Canales does not go into detail in the email about the exact nature of Thorpe’s conduct. He declined to comment when approached by this masthead. Atkinson and Stewart, who is the partner of new Labor senator Jana Stewart, also declined to comment.

However, in a written complaint sent to Greens leader Adam Bandt following the meeting, Atkinson described Thorpe’s conduct as “vicious and personal” and “abusive”, and requested he take steps to ensure her complaint did not provoke further retaliation.

In a separate letter sent to then-Senate president Scott Ryan and revealed by The Age last year, Atkinson said Thorpe criticised the prominent Bamblett family, of which Atkinson is a member, saying they had “always tried to undermine her and bring her down” and suggested Atkinson was involved in corrupt Aboriginal organisations.

“When I tried to intervene to respond, Senator Thorpe spoke over the top of me in a highly aggressive tone, repeatedly stating, ‘I am an Australian senator. You are in my meeting.’ I interpreted this as her using her position to try to intimidate me,” Atkinson said in the letter.

Simon Cameron

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 7:00pm
Here's an edit: the indigenous Greens Senator would appear to be a clear disgrace - a view arguably supported by "priors".

Don't quite understand why Baghdad Bob voted for her.  Shocked
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 7:41pm
SC. Nice try,  you do have a sense of humour. I do not recall at our luncheon ever saying I voted for Thorpe, more than likely I bagged her.Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 8:01pm
Lidia had a convenient excuse for her discharge from bankruptcy - $700,000 in bad debts - my drunk abusive former husband did it - I knew nothing, nothing.

Thorpe was discharged from the bankruptcy in 2016, eight months before the byelection.Wink She says her financial problems were the direct result of domestic abuse, her partner’s alcoholism and the eventual collapse of their marriage. Her ex-husband confirmed Thorpe’s account of the break-up at the time.

But a quick check of the facts finds that Thorpe’s activism is sometimes more about noise than substance. Her remonstration in early April with McKenzie on the Golden Beach gas project ignored the fact that there is no fracking in Victoria. Hydraulic fracturing for natural gas deposits is banned in the state, and the Greens party actually boasts of its contribution to the nation-first legislation passed by the state’s parliament in 2017.

It’s clear that Thorpe has a number of detractors within and outside federal parliament, to which she is seeking to return at this year’s election. But some in the Aboriginal community in Victoria also raise objections to her growing influence on progressive politics. These detractors, most of whom will not be named, question Thorpe’s cultural authority. They look askance at the theatre of Thorpe’s admission to the Senate: the message stick she carried was not genuine, they say, and the possum-skin cloak, gifted to her by the Loddon Campaspe Indigenous Family Violence Action Group affords her no traditional cultural or community authority.

Labels such as “hothead” and “street brawler” sit okay with Thorpe: “I copped so much gelati as a black kid. I didn’t know how else to deal with it. So, yeah, I used to punch the boys and the girls out. But now I’ve learnt to use my mouth.”

https://www.smh.com.au/national/shouty-uninformed-ineffective-how-senator-lidia-thorpe-annoys-the-establishment-20220323-p5a73j.html

Except in her marriage where she was a weak reed just a blowin' in the wind. She was helpless I tell ya.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:11pm
How did she ever get endorsed by The Greens in the first place ? Were they that short of candidates ?
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

SC. Nice try,  you do have a sense of humour. I do not recall at our luncheon ever saying I voted for Thorpe, more than likely I bagged her.Wink
C'mon - enough pillow talk from you two LOL
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2022 at 9:24pm
She is a loose cannon that does her cause little good

Imagine if it was an LNP Senator abusing her position like that. Never hear the end of it
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:45am
Funny you blokes didn't apply the same standards to people like Cory Bernardi, George Christensen, Pauline Hanson, Craig Kelly et al who were actually part of the govt.

Or maybe you dont see them as loose cannons?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:44am
PT, I do not recall any of those you mention ever participating in a ceremonial  burning of the Australian flag or walking into parliament with an arm raised in a defiant salute or blaming their ex for their bankruptcy.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:47am
No they are all saints Bob.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:52am
PS it is not illegal to burn an Australian flag and as for salutes your right wing extremists are the champions of salutes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 55>