Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Greens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 55>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:28am
Agree Acacia - you shouldn't have too. The only point i was making is that they are still available. If it was totally banned across the country it would be much more of a concern in a practical sense. I think most of the hysteria is based around principle. Neither side will give an inch. Fact is some there are still many that think that way. Recent Gallup Poll showed "49% Pro-Choice" & "47% Pro-Life"

Refer ALP Election Promises
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:43am

Why It's Possible For Some Americans To Support Abortion Yet Oppose Roe

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 10:45am
"Recent Gallup Poll showed "49% Pro-Choice" & "47% Pro-Life"

many of those who identify as Pro-Life don't want to ban abortion as the poll figures show.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 11:10am
Whatever spin yo want to put on those figures fact remains there is a big chunk of Americans who are happy to see it over turned. That fact never seems to be emphasized too often in Australia. Just like how our media demonised Trump - we are seeing a similar approach on this issue. Only ever see the protests from New York & California 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 11:11am
"big chunk of Americans"

Meaning, minority.

Simon Cameron

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:19pm
Here we go again with the Greens imposing their "green agenda" that allows them to put themselves up in lights. The inner Melbourne council of Moreland, following supposed "community support",  has voted for a name change to Merri-Bek, one of four indigenous names proposed for the change,  to reflect the concerns of indigenous Australians because the name Moreland had ties to an 18th century Jamaican slave trading estate.

However a few facts seemed to have passed by this Greens controlled council which has endorsed the name change

A. According to aboriginal elders Merri- Bek has no foundation in the language of Wurundjeri community, the original inhabitants of the local area. An indigenous spokesperson said the indigenous community would not be interested in the issue one way or the other and it would have no effect on their community.

B. Apparently ratepayers were letter dropped informing them of the proposed name but it was not obvious it would be put to a vote. The City of Moreland has a population of around 133,200 residents, not all of course ratepayers, but 6000 ratepayers did vote, of which 3739 had endorsed the name change to Merr-Bek, that amounts to a mere 4.5% of Moreland's population. It has been said, if one walked down any mall in Moreland 95% of people would no nothing of the name change.

C. The cost for this name change has yet to be determined but you can bet it will be in the millions all for the wokeness of a few Greens councillors.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:22pm
Haven't we discussed this already Bob?
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:26pm
I'm honestly surprised they even got 6000 real votes sent back in. Mine went straight in the bin pretty much.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:38pm
“Merri-bek, meaning rocky country, is the clear frontrunner from our community, with 59 per cent of respondents choosing it as their favourite,” Cr Riley said. “Many residents shared that they felt most connected to Merri-bek as it linked to the iconic Merri Creek and the rocky country where we live.”

That sounds nice Bob. Better than where I live: 

Chincogan was most probably a fertility site, and its name is believed to have derived from local Aboriginal words meaning 'low behind and high in front', with specifically reference to 'male genitals facing northward'
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:46pm
BTW, when the Moreland council elections were held in 2020 none of the 51 candidates had proposed a name change, yet the new Greens major, five days of having being elected, wrote to the Local Government Minister in the Andrews government requesting a name change.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Not to my recollection.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:19pm
I recall you banging on about this a few weeks ago Bob, probably a few pages ago in this very thread, if I could be bothered to go back and look.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 3:22pm
Pages 31, 32, 33
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Not to my recollection.

your memory is definitely slipping....

I can remember PT contrasting his own local area name...concerning the male genitalia pointing north...

I wonder why that stayed in my memory?

Embarrassed 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2022 at 4:53pm
True. Couple of morning glory jokes and all.
Time is a flat circle
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 1:27pm

Pages 31, 32, 33
PT, correct weight, however in those earlier posts I did not fill you in on the low turnout of votes due to the rort of misleading advice, should I say, lack of advice, given in that letter drop, even TJM posted "I live in Moreland council and wouldn't have even known about this unless it was posted in here".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 2:14pm
What is your actual objection? Local govt, state govt federal govt names are changed all the time.

Does it have to be approved by council, state govt, Governor or all before the change?

My understanding is that the ''survey'' was just to select a name to submit.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 2:30pm
Once the council submitted the flawed approval for name change to all the other authorities I presume it was just rubber stamped as it moved along that bureaucratic chain , when in reality, the basis for that name change hardly had the endorsement of 50% of ratepayers. The Greens dominated council have pulled the wool over the eyes of all along that chain.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 2:37pm
If you think you have the numbers Bob, get a petition running about withholding rates if there's a name change .Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 2:53pm
I see there is an extraordinary council meeting today to approve or otherwise the name, which then goes to the local govt minister then the Governor for approval. Plenty of opportunity to scuttle it if the process is flawed.

Will you be voicing your views at the council meeting today?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 3:39pm
No, he'll just piss and moan about it on here, his problem is less about the name change itself and more about the left making the change.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 3:55pm

I see there is an extraordinary council meeting today to approve or otherwise the name, which then goes to the local govt minister then the Governor for approval. Plenty of opportunity to scuttle it if the process is flawed.

Will you be voicing your views at the council meeting today?
I am not a ratepayer in Moreland, so doubt I have any say in the matter, unlike TJM who lives in the municipality.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2022 at 4:04pm
I'd lobby for a name change in my local government area but my preferred name is already taken. 

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 9:05pm
#Moreland City Council just voted 7 to 3 to become Merri-Bek City Council after a moving ceremony and powerful speeches.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2022 at 9:10pm
Of course they would, it is a Greens controlled council.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 12:36am

#Moreland City Council just voted 7 to 3 to become Merri-Bek City Council after a moving ceremony and powerful speeches.

snicker snicker....

LOLLOLLOL
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 9:58am
Gee that's a great initiative. Obviously a very progressive council.

Now - what is the upside ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 10:01am
Besides embracing inclusiveness, recognition of our history and moving into the 21st century?

What is the downside?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:08pm
It has now come to light , to me anyhow, when that letter drop was made to all residences in Moreland, four indigenous options were submitted for a name change, but no reference was made to retaining Moreland.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2022 at 8:15pm

Besides embracing inclusiveness, recognition of our history and moving into the 21st century?

What is the downside?
I recognise my history - it started around 1770. And that heritage has taken the country to where it is today
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 55>