Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The Greens

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
rusty nails View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Greens
    Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 12:29pm
My bad.
I assumed everyone knows that Woolies owns zero pokies, once they demerged.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 12:27pm
Bobby, all Woolies shareholders were given shares in Endeavour when they demerged.
WAM doesn’t run anything.

Your sources are ridiculously biased.

Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

I saw that Greens senators grilled the soon to be departing CEO of Woolworths in a “ Greens” convened Senate Enquiry into price gouging by Woolworths and Coles. The CEO was asked by Senator McMinn what Woolworths ROE / ROA was , surely this question itself indicates the intellect of McMinn and maybe others on the panel as any person with half a brain would know all that information would be in Woolworths annual report, yet people, like McMinn, are up in the Senate running Australia’s economy..

No doubt Katherine Cosey, Greens member of the Victorian parliament, watched that grilling of the Woolworths CEO with bated breath as she has been outspoken in the price gouging of Woolies and Coles, as well as being a strong advocate against gaming and gambling per se, however if one glances over her declaration of interests, it makes interesting reading.
A. She holds thousands of Woolworth shares, who of course also into poker machines and gaming of which Katherine has publicly opposed.
B. She has shares in WAM Gobal , which operates lotteries in Ireland and France.
C. Previously she held shares but has since offloaded, in the Endeavour Group which operate poker machines.
Despite her objection to price gouging and Woolies gaming operations she still maintains her share portfolio. What a hypocrite.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:46am
Not found, could the senator not access the report ?Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:43am
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 9:16am
Incorrect.  That info was not in the Annual Report, and the Woolworths CEO refused to answer the question.

After being threatened with Contempt he later returned to the Enquiry and said "he didn't know what Woolworths' ROE was"

"Nationals Senate Leader Bridget McKenzie says Woolworths CEO Brad Banducci was “quite obstinate” during the supermarket inquiry.

“We need to make sure senators are treating witnesses to our inquiries with respect,” she said.  My understanding, having spoken to my colleague … who is also on that inquiry.

“The witness was refusing to answer the question.  “You can take questions on notice, you can go get legal advice if you need, you can check your books, take a week, there is a whole raft of provisions to make sure the senators on behalf of the Australian people can get answers to the questions they are seeking.”

And there's more:

A parliamentary inquiry threatened to hold Brad Banducci, the chief executive of Woolworths, in contempt during a fiery hearing as Australia’s big supermarket chains faced claims they price gouge shoppers and coerce suppliers.

Banducci was asked by the Senate committee on Tuesday to disclose the company’s return on equity (ROE), an important gauge of profitability, amid a discussion over whether its profit levels were reasonable in a cost-of-living crisis.

Banducci repeatedly declined to answer the question

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2024 at 7:34am
I saw that Greens senators grilled the soon to be departing CEO of Woolworths in a “ Greens” convened Senate Enquiry into price gouging by Woolworths and Coles. The CEO was asked by Senator McMinn what Woolworths ROE / ROA was , surely this question itself indicates the intellect of McMinn and maybe others on the panel as any person with half a brain would know all that information would be in Woolworths annual report, yet people, like McMinn, are up in the Senate running Australia’s economy..
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 12:03pm
I always think if people like her , that cause major disruptions to working people, and 000 vehicles, are on any Govnt handouts, they should be fined or have the payments suspended until the fines are paid.
Half these protestors are on Govnt handouts, and I know this because at one stage of my working life I dealt with them, and I saw the concession/pension cards they always produced.  If they had to get out of bed and go to work they wouldnt have time to jaunt all over the place causing disruptions at cost to the tax payers.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2024 at 6:37am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

Two serial climate protesters who blocked the West Gate Bridge — delaying 16 emergency responses — have been handed extra jail time after a bid to have their sentences slashed backfired.

Extinction Rebellion drop kicks Deanna “Violet “ Coco and her partner Bradley Homewood were jailed for three weeks after they used a truck to block three city-bound lanes of the bridge during morning peak hour on March 5.

The pair at the County Court on Tuesday argued they should be released on community sentences, but Judge David Sexton instead ordered they serve two months behind bars.

Among those affected was Tarneit mother Roshni Lad who was was forced to give birth on the roadside on the Western Ring Road after she and her husband were unable to reach the hospital.

Character references from state Greens MP Gabrielle de Vietri and former federal Greens leader Bob Brown were submitted on the pair’s behalf.Thumbs Down

As a letter to the editor in today’s paper queried,   what job does Deanna “ Violet “ Coco have, she has such flexible working hours and an understanding employer who allows her time to travel interstate to attend protest meetings. Any chance she is on the dole?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2024 at 8:06am
Does the heart count for more than what is in your back pocket?
Money managers in some of Australia's largest super funds are finding many members are moving their funds away from ESG (environmental, social and governance) investments because of their underperformance. This means that even the most environmentally conscious are not willing to stay green if it means putting up with substandard financial returns.
As it has been said "money speaks all languages ".
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 8:42pm
Those drop kick protesters are only attention seeking fools, who are putting more people offside with the protests. If they engaged in genuine debate they would gain more sympathy for their cause. I doubt any of them would die for their convictions.
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 6:46pm
Good old Bob has never had any convictions he would die for and move mountains to achieve.

Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

in general f f s
Those drop kick protestors sure are.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 5:03pm
in general f f s
Panspermia.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Fiddlesticks Fiddlesticks wrote:

or perhaps gov could get on with doing something about climate instead of fluffing around with yes votes and Olympic stadium's. The protestors frustrations are valid because no one is doing gelatie. 
Olympic Stadiums ? These drop kicks protested in Melbourne, what Olympic stadium are proposed for Melbourne ?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 1:11pm
 the protests are pointless...and socially destructive.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 11:39am
or perhaps gov could get on with doing something about climate instead of fluffing around with yes votes and Olympic stadium's. The protestors frustrations are valid because no one is doing gelatie. 
Panspermia.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 10:40am
Yes.  You should not be allowed to hold up emergency services.  Its bad enough for workers trying to get to their job, but for OOO people its just not on.  Jail a few of them and others might think twice.  They always act like they think its so right , but its so wrong.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 8:46am
And some people think Bob Brown would have made a good Prime Minister. Thumbs Down

They should be jailed if they cause emergency services to be restricted. 

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2024 at 6:02pm

Two serial climate protesters who blocked the West Gate Bridge — delaying 16 emergency responses — have been handed extra jail time after a bid to have their sentences slashed backfired.

Extinction Rebellion drop kicks Deanna “Violet “ Coco and her partner Bradley Homewood were jailed for three weeks after they used a truck to block three city-bound lanes of the bridge during morning peak hour on March 5.

The pair at the County Court on Tuesday argued they should be released on community sentences, but Judge David Sexton instead ordered they serve two months behind bars.

Among those affected was Tarneit mother Roshni Lad who was was forced to give birth on the roadside on the Western Ring Road after she and her husband were unable to reach the hospital.

Character references from state Greens MP Gabrielle de Vietri and former federal Greens leader Bob Brown were submitted on the pair’s behalf.Thumbs Down

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:57am
 Bandt and his slightly insane offsider, Max Chandler Hyphen Mather...are very much on the nose with some on twixter, these days. 

People are wising up to their oversized agendas...

Confused
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2024 at 7:46am
Okay yesterday I got into Tony Burke and Stephen Jones for the expenses they have run up on the public teat, however those expenses are miniscule compared to the Greens leader, Adam Bandt who expenses would play those two on a break.

As reported in the press today climate warrior Bandt has slugged taxpayers just short of a million dollars in expenses in a single year, including spending $204,000 on printing costs.

Also on his eyebrow-raising expenses were $23,000 on two private jet flights and another $12,000 on a government-­provided vehicle and petrol ­allowance.

His annual expenses bill for 2022 was an eye-watering $963,166, not including his $314,000 salary and the wages of his personal staff, according to the Department of Finance.

Mr Bandt, whose party runs on a platform of climate change prevention, forked out $23,000 on the two private jets during the 2022 election campaign.

On March 7, Mr Bandt booked a chartered flight from Townsville to Rockhampton during a tour of regional Queensland where he announced his plan to aggressively transition away from coal, costing taxpayers $8300.

The Greens leader refused to explain why he chartered a $15,000 private plane between Canberra and Brisbane to attend his party’s election campaign launch despite the taxpayer being forced to pick up the tab.

Mr Bandt’s travel costs also included almost $29,000 on government Comcar trips and taxis and $57,000 for domestic flights, along with $372,000 in staff travel expenses for his 21-strong entourage.

Independent MP Dai Le, who is among the most frugal spenders in parliament, called on Mr Bandt’s hypocrisy in using private jets for common commercial routes. “I’m shocked by the news of parliamentarians overspending and surprised by the Greens’ use of chartered flights when they are the party that opposed the use of fossil fuels,” she said.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Hello Sunshine Hello Sunshine wrote:

where would you be if super hadnt been introduced?
I would say still ok, but not quite as rich.
And more would be able to have a mortgage, because prices are not over the top, or
 the only ones who can afford now,  are already ok jack.....

Non of my investment properties are held within my super, I bought them with my after tax income and all have been repaid with my after tax income. Sure I put money into super well before Keating introduced compulsory super, and got a tax break with my contributions but, I estimate only 20% of my assets are held in super, the balance are in my own name except our family home which I jointly own with my wife.
I was not born with a silver spoon in my mouth , both my parents were on the full pension, and unless I had  worked out how to win betting on the totalisator all those years ago I doubt I would be any better than 85 % of Australians.You might say I was in the right place at the right time and grasped that opportunity full on.BTW I paid tax on my punting wins.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

I always find all this stuff amusing. I gave up trying to come up with suitable solutions  - because they don't exist without hurting people. Ouch

For people to be better off there have to be people that are worse off - at least in relative terms. Bit like punting onto a totaliser pool - to win others have to lose.

And that scenario is not palatable for many - & its why Governments never do any more than fiddle at the edges

The programs like first home grants ect only falsely inflate the market - So that when they get pulled back lead to more misery.

Its the old story unfortunately - you make money with money. Can't see that changing .

its being done in Europe in many countries successfully for decades.
Panspermia.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 2:32pm
The property speculation policies are working an absolute treat.Clap

The housing policies are a disaster, for those not in property speculation.CryLOL
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rusty nails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 1:49pm
Nah, you could actually change it, so that negative gearing only applied to new constructions.
Investors could swap over properties without incurring CGT.

It’s doable.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 12:47pm
I always find all this stuff amusing. I gave up trying to come up with suitable solutions  - because they don't exist without hurting people. Ouch

For people to be better off there have to be people that are worse off - at least in relative terms. Bit like punting onto a totaliser pool - to win others have to lose.

And that scenario is not palatable for many - & its why Governments never do any more than fiddle at the edges

The programs like first home grants ect only falsely inflate the market - So that when they get pulled back lead to more misery.

Its the old story unfortunately - you make money with money. Can't see that changing .
Refer ALP Election Promises
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 12:28pm
You have thought of this a lot I think Fiddlesticks.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:44am
Originally posted by rusty nails rusty nails wrote:

Evicting current tenants, to be replaced by more needy tenants doesn’t improve supply, which is the issue.

True but how many are leased and how many are empty or Air B&B's. People with 'empty' investment properties should be able to sell them to the gov, list them on a gov backed website, Gov assess each property, buys it & they get paid by the gov, no capital gains, the property then has a gov deed and cannot be bought and sold by the private sector. 

Even when a house is being sold by the gov to a low income needy family the deed would need to remain a gov deed and the family could never sell it privately to anyone else but back to the gov. If a mortgage cannot be serviced, the family can apply for social housing rentals but would need to go back out to the private sector while waiting, freeing up the property again for someone who can afford the low interest mortgage.  
Panspermia.
Hello Sunshine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hello Sunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 11:43am
where would you be if super hadnt been introduced?
I would say still ok, but not quite as rich.
And more would be able to have a mortgage, because prices are not over the top, or
 the only ones who can afford now,  are already ok jack.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 55>