Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Carif

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carif
    Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 8:41pm
Kolding also won the Queensland Guineas that day and that Derby was the last race ride of Corey Brown, I was at Eagle Farm that day, saw the fall Corey was involved in, it looked aweful live.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 2:18pm
Interesting looking back through a horses career shortly after they retire. In Carif's case - ran in the 2019 Group 1 QLD Derby and ran 5th.....four lengths away from the winner Mr Quickie. The horse who finished 2nd in that QLD Derby was......Vow And Declare.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 6:33am
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Afros, are you going to miss Carif?

What a strange question.  But no, not any more than any of the hundreds of athletes, equine and human, that I've enjoyed watching over my lifetime so far.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2022 at 6:32am
Well he'd still be paying his way moreso than as a gelding, so it would still have been a smarter economic decision.
QuizAbout View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuizAbout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

Suspect, given his breeding, that they will have some regrets about the decision to geld.  He could surely have found a home somewhere at stud.
At some small stud, where hed be lucky to get 20 mares a year.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

We will never know if he would of had a better career if he was at another stable.

That applies to every horse that ever raced, even Black Caviar & Winx e.g cudda, wudda, shudda won more LOL
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 4:54pm
This horse got a fair bit of oxygen when alls considered formwise , a winner of a maiden , a C1 , and eventually a Sandown Cup 3200, so after that win , zip! ...but enough runs of promise to give connections ( and punters hope Confused ) he may well have been gutted after Sandown , went in the wind ? or , raced with a virus , there is a similarity here with a horse of far superior form , who never lived up to the run that could have " made him ", I refer to Maluckyday , never came up again after his MC 2nd , gutted ? virus ? , all part of racing's idiosyncratics , surely , yes/no ? 😩
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 4:15pm
Afros, are you going to miss Carif?
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 6:10am
Suspect, given his breeding, that they will have some regrets about the decision to geld.  He could surely have found a home somewhere at stud.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2022 at 12:44am
We will never know if he would of had a better career if he was at another stable.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 8:12pm
Surpised they didn't consider a shot at the Sandown Cup before retiring, his best, however limited that is, seemed to be over a longer distance at that level, of course being a previous winner of that race, albeit at Sandown.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2022 at 7:06pm
Saw on Twitter that Carif has been retired.

Only won once at stakes level - Listed Sandown Cup (3200m). He was also placed at Group level 7 times. 47 starts in career for 3 wins, 9 2nds and 1 3rd. He won $804,035 in prize money. Perhaps one of his better performances was when he ran 2nd in the 2022 Group 3 Newcastle Cup at 2300m earlier this year on the 16th of September - the winner of that race was Durston who would go on to win the Group 1 Caulfield Cup (2400m) in October.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 12:14am
If he were mine, he'd be going to these Listed staying races, he's very much not up to the top level or even slightly below that in the Metrop, the "last chance saloon" races like the Bart Cummings will be to hot for him as well.

Listed Qld Cup over 2400 at Eagle Farm on October 8 would look a good next start for mine, ultimate target the Sandown Cup.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 7:40pm
Be careful Lordy.

He does actually have a very good record at Newcastle so I need to see him back that up away from that track.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:24pm
Backed Carif for the place ($9) and he ran well. Good to see. 
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 6:23pm
Welcome return to form today in the Newcastle Gold Cup, was rolling along upfront & although no match for Durston, he stuck on bravely for 2nd
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 7:26am
I agree, he's not a Melbourne Cup horse.  If they want to have one last throw at a G1 with him then the Metrop is the race to try but if he were mine I'd be aiming at the Sandown Cup, space his runs and try pick off a few of those lower level G3/listed staying events on the way.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:36pm
Pass mark 2nd up at an unsuitably short trip.  But he’s not getting any younger and unlikely to be as good as his 4yo & 5yo seasons.

He could still jag placings in races like the Colin Stephen Qlty or Newcastle Cup.  Or if the Snowdens thought outside the box a race like the RM Ansett Classic at Mornington.  G3-Listed grade is his caper at best these days.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 6:28pm
Well back today at any old price, but probably not wound up and certainly ran in a race well short of his optimum distance.

That said I couldn't have him in any serious stakes events this Spring.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 5:03pm
Danny O'Brien would of been a good choice too
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:25pm
All that does Foxy is it tells everyone that they can not get a stayer fit by just training them correctly.

I would have loved to see him stabled with Maher/Eustace but that bird has flown about two seasons ago.

I know djebel goes on about it but he should not even be running at anything below 2000m at any run of his preparation EVER! 

No doubt he is his own worst enemy during his races, but he is one horse who we can definitively say did not reach their potential, due to issues beyond his control!
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I wonder if it was always the plan to go 6 weeks between runs and a step up in trip. I like it.
Don’t give the Snowden’s too much credit as that definitely wasn’t their plan.  He was due to race over 1500m at the washed out meeting 2 weeks ago.  So the routine 2 weeks between races prep would have been their ‘plan’.  And we’ll likely see him again in 2 weeks in the Premiers Cup 2000m on 20th Aug and then again 2 weeks later in the City Tattersalls Cup 2400m.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 3:14pm
Early doors yet , so no rush , but a tweak in prep. to keep the old boy happy might be the ploy . Wink
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 1:52pm
I wonder if it was always the plan to go 6 weeks between runs and a step up in trip. I like it.
reductio ad absurdum
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 2:03pm
If he earns a spot in the Cup than they should go for it. 

His rating is too low at the moment so if he gets in than he'd have to be in form. Go for it. 
reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:28am
The Snowdens are talking about another shot at the Melbourne Cup with him, surely they jest?

Working toward the Metrop probably isn't a bad idea, he may be able to fluke a win in that race, if he were mine I'd be thinking of races like the St Leger at Randwick, the Queen Elizabeth at Flemington on the final day and the Sandown Cup.  If he were mine that's what I'd do anyway, a shot at the Metrop just to show you he isn't up to the top level and ultimately land him in the Sandown Cup with the Adelaide Cup the target in the autumn.
speedingaway View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedingaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 6:00am
He had a couple of issues in the spring - today's run was an indication he's back in good nick
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 12:48am
Id like to see him with Danny O'Brien. But is it too late in terms of ability? Has he reached his ceiling?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:08pm
Cracking run 1st up today in the Civic Stakes.  

I suppose he’ll follow the well trodden path to something like the Metropolitan Hcp in the Spring.

I do tend to think the horse could do with a change of stable though, transferred to a yard that is a bit more adept as campaigning stayers.  Ciaron Maher, Danny O’Brien, Paddy Payne or Anabel could rejuvenate his career.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 10:12am
He would make a nice jumper
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>