Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Here Is The News

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 196>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 1:38pm
That's a bit unfair on Dani. Romain cut across him for the first one.

Def cause the second though LOL
Time is a flat circle
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 7:30am

Asteroid space capsule completes 5-billion-kilometre mission, touching down in a blaze of light in outback South Australia

Scientists in the South Australian outback have retrieved a capsule containing the first sub-surface samples from an asteroid, ending a six-year journey of more than 5 billion kilometres.

Key points:

• Early on Sunday, the capsule turned into a fireball 120 kilometres above earth
  • It landed near Woomera, with authorities locating it after an aerial search
  • Scientists hope the collected samples explain how the Earth was made habitable

They hope the mission will help answer some of the most fundamental questions about how our solar system formed and where elements, such as water, came from.

The Hayabusa2 spacecraft had successfully released the small capsule on Saturday and sent it toward Earth to deliver samples from a distant asteroid that could provide clues to the origin of the solar system and life on our planet, the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) said.

While Hayabusa1 collected dust off the surface, this is the first mission to collect rocks from underneath the surface of an asteroid.

Early on Sunday the capsule briefly turned into a fireball as it re-entered the atmosphere 120km above Earth, creating a blaze of light visible over northern South Australia...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-06/japanese-hayabusa2-space-mission-capsule-lands-in-outback-sa/12949898

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:19pm
This will be of little interest to most LOL but you never know Smile a team that I follow ( a little ) in the Scottish Football League is a club called Rangers , they have won the title 55 times but the last was in 2010 , they are now managed by my favourite footballer Steven Gerrard and as they stand are 13 points in front and playing great , they now have a new club song Live It Up sung by Ozzie boys Mental as Anything and it's gone to No.1 on the UK billboards , hope it gets the tittle back for them.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2020 at 9:28pm
With small crowds allowed back in to the EPL it's added a little bit of atmosphere back to the grounds , Anfield Monday night Liverpool put on a show belting Wolves 4 - 0 , loved it , now equal top of the league .
EnableMe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EnableMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 9:32am
LOL@Rangers. You left out a few details there sir. Hard to win the title when you're demoted to the lowest rung possible due long term cooking of the books. 
longevity does not equate to credibility
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:15am
I did say I follow " a little" LOL Enable Me , not to worry I'm just a Stevie G fan so that's my interest beyond that their history is of little interest to me , they are doing well and I hope they finish the season on top.Smile
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

With small crowds allowed back in to the EPL it's added a little bit of atmosphere back to the grounds , Anfield Monday night Liverpool put on a show belting Wolves 4 - 0 , loved it , now equal top of the league .

I on the other hand fcuking hated it LOL
Time is a flat circle
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 11:32am
Originally posted by TJMitchell TJMitchell wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

I on the other hand fcuking hated it LOL
Commiserations TJ. Cry LOL
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:15am

Chris Hemsworth's take on 'L.A.X-odus': Megastar reveals why he and a swathe of Hollywood A-listers are flocking to Australia - but not all the locals are happy

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 12:11pm

Tony Mokbel has cocaine importation conviction quashed by Victoria's Court of Appeal over Lawyer X scandal

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:00am
Monday night in the western sky early in the evening for an hour, weather permitting will be a significant astronomical event, the Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, the closest they have appeared in the sky together for 800 years.

It has in the past been mistakenly identified as the Christmas star by the great German Keppler who studied it 400 years ago.
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:11am
PT it did occur 400 years ago but because of its position in the sky it was not visible from Earth, but you are correct, the last time it was visible was 800 years ago.
But where do I look to see it ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:25am
In the Western towards South Western sky from 8:30 PM Bob. It is gone by around 9:30-45, when it drops below the horizon. If you extend your arm and point your hand up from the horizon, it is at the top of your finger.

I have been watching it for a couple of months as they gradually merge lower in the sky each week. By next week they will have disappeared completely and early next year re-appear in the same area with Saturn below Jupiter getting further away from it.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:44am
You mean you look at it through a telescope ? With the naked eye, not much of a show, surely ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:53am
Naked eye visibility is excellent, they will be the 2 brightest objects in the sky other than the moon. As they merge a telescope or binoculars are handy to see the space between them, but not necessary.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 8:54am
Not just now, Jupiter Saturn, Mars(glows red) and Venus are the brightest objects in any night sky. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:16am
You are keener than me, the "evening star" (Venus) is usually the brightest object, but looks just like a bright light. The fuss over the "super moon" was pretty pathetic, the additional size due to a closer distance, was barely perceptible.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:30am
max, people have been studying the night sky long before they had Gods Civilizations come and go, their Gods come and go but the study and recording of the night sky predates them all. Recording of time, seasons for survival, navigation etc all come from the study.

James Cook ''discovered'' Australia after visiting Tahiti to study the Transit of Venus. We were an addendum to his trip south. 
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:39am
PT, I will look into the sky on Monday night, but hope it is not like Halley’s Comet some years ago which was a huge disappointment.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:42am
Tell me something I don't know, please, you appear to be on 1-1's "Astronomy negates religion" band-wagon, in which case get off it, it is a non-sequitur. I was, and still are, a great admirer of the late Carl Sagan, despite his apparent atheism. But there is no more connection or disconnection between astronomy and religion, than any other science. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:51am
What about the Catholic church v science wars?

Galileo tried and sentenced for heresy for suggesting that as the Ancient Greek(where it was a formal branch of mathematics) astronomers observed the Earth revolved around the Sun and that it wasn't flat.

The church is still reluctant to admit they were wrong with a token recognition they could be wrong by JP11 before walking it back a few years later. Benedict was heavily protested during a visit to an Italian University about 20 years ago because of his views on Galileo.

These people are worse than Trumpers.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Baghdad Bob Baghdad Bob wrote:

PT, I will look into the sky on Monday night, but hope it is not like Halley’s Comet some years ago which was a huge disappointment.

No, that 1986 event was a huge disappointment Bob, I couldn't see it even with binoculars. There have been many better visible comets since. These planets are always very bright, it is just that this rare event it should be even brighter as the 2 brightest objects sit on top of each other. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:00am
As I indicated the other day Meister Eckhart was declared a heretic, it is par for the course for doctinaire religion to brook no departure from rigid dogma, which is all too clearly, man-made. I'm not sure, but I think the church may have "rehabilitated" Eckhart, Galileo was later, his day may come.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:01am
Wrong thread max.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:06am
"their Gods come and go"

Maybe shrunk is right about you, you are the one that brought religion into it, not me !
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:12am
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Tell me something I don't know, please, you appear to be on 1-1's "Astronomy negates religion" band-wagon, in which case get off it, it is a non-sequitur. I was, and still are, a great admirer of the late Carl Sagan, despite his apparent atheism. But there is no more connection or disconnection between astronomy and religion, than any other science. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:16am
That was in reply to your post that contained this:

"long before they had Gods Civilizations come and go, their Gods come and go"

This is just hypocrisy on your part.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:55am
Keep trying to convince yourself of that Max - because you will never convince me with with the mumbo jumbo you go on with
Refer ALP Election Promises
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:03am
"the universe is just an illusion" Deary me ! You never did answer my question at what point do you draw the line of fact vs illusion. The moon , Mars , Saturn, the milky way.........
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 11:04am
I am well aware of where that kind of hostility comes from, 1-1, even though you aren't. You have have been given a free snapshot of what real religiosity consists of, but people like PT want to conflate outdated doctrinaire religions (they still exist) with that deeper reality, those religions depend on people having a subconscious religious impulse, but they like to keep people in that state of ignorance, but no bother, because the people who manipulate them, also do not know the truth. They are all similarly ignorant. As a wise man once said, no-one who knows this truth, will seek to hide it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 196>