Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Moonlight Maid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moonlight Maid
    Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:51pm
Time to let the cat out of the bag, this filly will win the Oaks
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 7:55pm
Well you could certainly have let the cat out of the bag a bit earlier today.  WinkTongue
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:23pm
An early call by Xavier back in June:

"That winner of the first at Geelong - Moonlight Maid (Puissance de Lune - Manhattan Maid) is built like an old gelding, not a 2yo filly.  Massive unit and looks to have ability".
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 8:36pm
I love this horse
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:20pm
I remembered (a microsecond too late) that someone here said something useful in the stallion's thread ... thanks for at least solving the mystery for me SD.

WELL DONE Xavier!!!
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2019 at 9:23pm
I wish she had of stayed home, as I had the runner up going for my spring bank.

But that was not unusual today, Te Akau Shark, Finche and Sir Charles Road were spring setup bets.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2019 at 7:47pm

Freedman reported that Moonlight Maid had come through her Group 2 win in good order but a decision on her next start will not be made immediately.

The daughter of Puissance de Lune won't back-up in Saturday's Group 1 Thousand Guineas (1600m) with Freedman instead considering either the Caulfield Classic (2000m) en route to the Oaks or keeping her fresh for the Group 1 Empire Rose Stakes (1600m).

"I still think she'll handle the training a little bit better as she gets older so we'll just keep monitoring the horse over the next few days and see how she's going," Freedman said.  

"The way that she powered through the line the other day, it looks like she's be able to handle the step up to the Oaks journey.

"There's the option to head to the Caulfield Classic or we could keep her to a mile and have a look at a race like the Empire Rose.

"Sending her to the paddock isn't off the table either."

Moonlight Maid is the $9 equal favourite for the Kennedy Oaks with BetEasy, while Southern Moon is a $13 prospect for the Victoria Derby.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:23am
There was a fair tip around for it Saturday morning. Of course I didn’t have a sent on it.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:23am
Cent
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:11pm
She’ll win the oaks! Anyway you line her form up against the others she’s got better form.
It would take extreme bad luck to get her rolled.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 9:45pm
Ballarat quinella with Gamay
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2019 at 11:13pm
Ahh not quite sure that is the answer.

Unless I was watching a different race on Saturday Miami Bound (form around Warning) and Vegas Jewel will be there when the whips are cracking, and Gamay is a genuine contender.

The winner comes from those four, with Gamay the best value.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:51pm
Sounds like she’ll be backing up in the SA Derby next weekend.

It was a terrific effort yesterday but not sure taking on Dalasan, Warning & Russian Camelot is a wise move. Yes, she’s looking for 2500m but the SA Fillies Classic over the same distance would surely be a better option for her?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:56pm
FWIW I'm with you on that Foxseal.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:01pm
It’s a group 1 test against the big boys nothing to lose. Worked well for Qafila last year
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 6:04pm
Hopefully they just let her run where ever they go with her. Apparently she is a hard puller. Why put shades ( I thought they were blinkers ) on her then drag her back to the rear, Let her do her natural thing.

But I agree she should be saved for the week after. 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:03pm
She didn't pull too hard today imo, however Toeroek chose to put the pressure on the leader (who ran dead last I think due to the mid-race nonsense) and then go far too early.  

Not that she would have been in the finish, but a more patient ride might have seen her run 3rd or 4th.

Others may differ.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:10pm
As I said last week, she should have missed the Derby & lined up next week in the SA Fillies Classic.

A G3 win there would have been a better outcome than a nice 5th in a G1 both in prizemoney & for her pedigree page.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:21pm
Owners and trainers are entitled to go wherever and whenever they like.  However as offered before today's race I and others agreed with you about the quick back-up.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 10:48am
Her 3 runs this time have only been fair.

But 4th up should be fit now & ready for the 2000m today.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 12:30am
Posted wide the entire trip in the Warrnambool Cup.

Boxed on pretty bravely for 3rd.  Wouldn’t mind seeing her have a go at the Ramsden at Flemington in a few weeks time.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 10:56am
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:26pm
Selling as a broodmare prospect, current bid $185,000
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:41pm
The fact she’s retired is surprising & disappointing.  Given she’s only just turned 5, I’d have thought she had more to offer on the track.

Many staying mares only just hit their straps as 5 & 6 year olds.

Only a few months ago Mitch & the owners were hatching a spring campaign aimed at either the Melb Cup or Matriarch Stakes.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 10:44pm
Is she injured ?

Is a person who buys her obliged to keep her retired ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:37pm
By the sounds of this, she is currently sound

Rob Roulston, Robert Roulston Bloodstock: “Moonlight Maid is a lovely big scopey attractive mare. She is athletic with generally good conformation. She is slightly offset in both knees but tracks through straight when walking and trotting. She has good bone, correct pastern angles and good feet. She is a strong chestnut colour who retires sound from the racetrack as her owner wants to concentrate on racing interests rather than breeding.”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:46pm
Seems strange having only just turned 5 with 15 gruelling runs to her name. 
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2021 at 11:58pm
Reading between the lines, having listened to most of Mitch's interviews, I strongly suspect she's had ongoing issues. I know she had a major leg problem post her Oaks prep.
You have 2 options with these big, raw staying 3yos, either go for broke in their age group & increase value if successful or 'kid glove' them untill ready to take your chance with them as 4/5yos as they can rarely manage both. His 3yo Puissance de Lune colt also succumbed to unsoundness - forget his name Confused
I'll be interested to see how Maher's 4 time Derby winner comes back Smile

Edited by Gay3 - 09 Aug 2021 at 12:07am
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2021 at 12:49am
ahh yes Southern Moon, forgot about him.
Last seen 2nd in the 2019 Derby
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2021 at 8:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>