Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Queensland Racing Integrity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 7:20am
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

Hey SC, what about this one. Do you think anything will be done?
WELL KNOWN BRISBANE TRAINER SET TO BE CHARGED?

THE last thing we want to do is pre-empt what is bound to happen or steal the thunder of QRIC.

But the racing industry in Brisbane is agog with rumours (and it's more than that) involving a well known trainer in plenty of strife.

All we can tell you is that he is in hot water after some under age industry participants made serious allegations.

Story goes QRIC have taken evidence from the complainants and listened to some allegedly damning mobile phone messages.

Expect a QRIC Media Release or announcement of police charges against the trainer (who won't be named but the industry timmy drums are beating his name) over the holiday period.

There were a few different cases in the thread, so I quoted this one for clarity.
Trainer involved has apparently been outed for 6 months. Awaiting release of stewards report to confirm.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 9:39am
6 months is not a long time for serious charges.
reductio ad absurdum
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 11:39am
Not at all, but there could be more to come. The accusations were quite serious. Maybe not all proven.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 2:00pm
reading this blurb would have you believe it's all rosy posy up here, the elephant in the room however is UBET, or TABUBET whatever they want to call themselves.

They are in disaster territory, they will drag racing down here as the take out is obnoxious, and although generally field sizes are healthy, wagering is not.......

===============================================================

Any doubts that Queensland racing was heading in the right direction were dispelled with Monday’s announcement of the first half yearly results for the 2019-2020 financial year.

Highlights from the year-to-date announcements included:

• Revenue growth of +25.6% to $139.4m
  • Returns to participants +20.8% to $104.1m
  • Attendance and participation +2.1% to 332,496

During the first half year turnover reached a record $2.3 billion which represented an increase of $64.8m.

Corporate bookmaker turnover increased 3.5% or $69.7m however turnover declines were realised by QTAB (-12.7% or $101m).

However, while there was plenty of blue sky for Racing Queensland there’s still a dark cloud lingering overhead.

The report stated that Racing Queensland remains insulated until the end of the calendar year through the provision of guaranteed QTAB payments, however, the much publicised Tabcorp merger revenue benefits remains an ongoing concern.

Returns to Queensland racing participants included an additional $15.4 million in prizemoney (+22.8%), $1.3 million for jockeys and drivers’ fees (+16%) and $1.4 million for critical racing infrastructure and club funding (+15%).

The Magic Millions raceday set a new Queensland turnover record of $58 million which eclipsed last year’s mark of $57m, whilst turnover for The Wave meeting run a week earlier was $27m, which was more than 30% up on last year’s corresponding meeting.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:01pm
Bonjour please stop creating a new thread every time you post! Use the 'search' as I have to on each of these occasions Unhappy
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 4:05pm
This had nada to do with QRIC, why would I post under an irrelevant title Gay? it's about UBET......or am I missing something here?
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:45pm
A simple question to QRIC, who are costing $30 million plus per year to control integrity.
Why has there been no mention On your website, of the inquiry held on 14th February where a trainer was disqualified for 6 months for inappropriate behaviour with licensed females?

I smell a cover up.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 3:06pm
The only excuse I can think of is: it's before the courts:........however, you are right to ask the question, the industry deserves to know when behaviour like that is exposed.

Is there any transparency left? lets see if they come forth.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:58pm
I see the offender has been publicly named and disqualified by QRIC. 

I lasted 10 days training at Deagon, after 5 years at Flemington and 12  years at Rosehill, 25 years in the corporate world and 3 years owning and operating a racing and breeding property in NZ we decided to retire to QLD.

What a sad, miserable mistake, our scenario involved AQIS, QRIC, and finally the Federal Police......we walked in disgust, no one followed up from QRIC and AQIS......the case is before the Fed Police, I just hope they do their bit, as the whole thing stinks.....I lived here during the Joh Bjelke era, it's still rotten to the core.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm

Queensland trainer Tim Hurley has been disqualified by stewards for acting inappropriately towards a female rider and another female racing participant.

Hurley was disqualified for six months after facing two stewards' charges, one of which related to text messages sent from his phone.

Hurley was issued with two charges under AR 228 (b) which says a person must not engage in: misconduct, improper conduct or unseemly behaviour.

The stewards' report into the matter stated the particulars of the charges were as follows:

Charge 1 - On an unspecified date between May and June 2019 at the Deagon Training Complex, Hurley engaged in unseemly behaviour when he made an inappropriate action and inappropriate comment towards a licensed person. Hurley pleaded guilty to Charge 1. In determining penalty in regard to charge 1, stewards took into account Mr Hurley’s disciplinary record, his guilty plea, the nature and seriousness of the charges and that any penalty should be a deterrent to the industry so as to not engage in this type of behaviour. Subsequently in relation to Charge 1, Hurley was disqualified for a period of 6 months.

Charge 2 -  In that between July 2019 and August 2019, Hurley sent inappropriate text messages to a licensed person. After considering all the evidence, Hurley was found guilty on Charge 2. In determining penalty in regard to charge 2, stewards took into account Hurley’s disciplinary record, the nature and seriousness of the charges and that any penalty should be a deterrent to the industry so as to not engage in this type of behaviour. In relation to Charge 2, Hurley was disqualified for a period of 6 months.

Stewards ordered that both penalties be served concurrently.

Furthermore, acting under AR 283 (7) Stewards deferred the commencement of the penalties for a period of 7 days to allow for Mr Hurley to provide adequate care to his horses and make arrangements for the horses to be transferred to new trainers, subject to the approval of the stewards.

"As such, the period of disqualification will commence on midnight 21 February 2020 until midnight 21 August 2020," the report stated.

Hurley was advised of his rights to an internal review.

Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
Not appealing. Happy to cop the 6 months, and while awaiting this enquirey, his brother got a trainers licence to look after the team during the holiday. Looks like another success story for QRIC.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:44pm
Hey Batman, was that curries old man who landed a plonk 20s into 8s during the week?
That's BS that song "There's no fool like an old fool", nothing's changed.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:04pm
Stop iit, you'll give yourself a headache.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
The irony is, everyone knows there is no integrity up here, or transparency,  that's why you see so many industry people with wry smiles, or in some cases, smirks......then again, some are thick as planks, so they fit in well.......thank God many of you are onto them, otherwise they will get away with it....oh that's right, they have.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Hey Batman, was that curries old man who landed a plonk 20s into 8s during the week?

And when asked after the race he said he did not bet!
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:34pm
Coronavirus might have claimed it’s most recent victim. A very high profile Brisbane trainer has gone bankrupt. Common denominator in many financial disasters are yearlings purchased on credit from big sale companies. Maybe they should change the credit rules a bit. But it is not good to see big stables like this go dusty. Hope the little blokes ok, and surely he has done harder times than this.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by horlicks horlicks wrote:

Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

And when asked after the race he said he did not bet!

BC lives on through daddy
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:37pm
Who’s the next big trainer rumoured to go bust?
to the victor
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
He did say "little" bloke, that has "done harder times", which seems to fit only one I can think of, but not really knowing who it is, I won't mention the name.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:53pm
Chris Munce stable in receivership as of April 16 or 17 from memory. I saw a pic of the receiver site & details on FB.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:56pm
That's a bit sad, isn't it. I guess being a great jockey doesn't necessarily translate into successful in business, and Roy Higgins would be a good illustration of that.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:40pm
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:54pm
There is supposed to be someone bigger to follow. Don't see how trainers who've invested in purchasing yearlings to syndicate are going to cope this year - grated anyone who purchased Feb onwards needs their head read
to the victor
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 6:17pm
It will be a tough time for many trainers, whether they be upper, middle or lower tier.

Ours bought about 25, though only two after Melb Prem ending 3 Mar and none at Easter.  He's been pro-active with a well produced E-yearling 2020 Magazine emailed to every owner on his books and also available in hard copy but still wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

You'd think those already in or close to administation/bankruptcy at this point would be as a result of purchases/events prior to the coronavirus pandemic with the likes of MM/Inglis calling in their debts.  
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 6:51pm
Detailed story about Munce below
Wouldn’t let me post here due to copyright or something

https://www.racenet.com.au/trainer/chris-munce
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 6:52pm
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:01pm
One caulfield trainer might be left up in the air , hope not but he syndicates quite a few.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:21pm
That would narrow it down to about five at Caulfield these days Carioca.

Either way let's just hope it doesn't happen.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:31pm
I think if you are struggling to pay for your children education? Horses are the last thing on your mind! Racing and it’s big bubble? It will bite hard ,I have no doubt! But many trainers carried on buying like they were invincible
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 12>