Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Official TBV Health Food thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 7:51pm
This looks like a positive move.

Food review to look at added sugar labels

The nation's health ministers have ordered a review to consider making it compulsory for packaged foods and drinks to carry labels quantifying the amount of added sugar they contain.
The Australia and New Zealand Ministerial Forum on Food Regulation chaired by Tasmanian senator Richard Colbeck specifically wants foods standards authorities to look at a "pictorial approach" to labelling sugary drinks.
The move would potentially see Coca-Cola and other soft drinks slapped with demands to display pictures of multiple teaspoons of sugar on their labels.
The idea is more broadly aimed at making it easier for consumers to distinguish between naturally occurring sugars and added sugars so they can weigh up how good or bad a product is for their health.
"The forum agreed to request that Food Standards Australia New Zealand review nutrition labelling for added sugars, noting that the option to quantify added sugars in the nutrition information panel best met the desired outcome," according to a communique released by the forum.
"Furthermore, the forum agreed that a pictorial approach applied to sugary beverages/sugar-sweetened beverages warrants further consideration, along with other options, pending the response to the HSR five-year review."
The ministers agreed that consumers should have access to food labelling that provides "adequate contextual information about sugars" to enable them to make more informed choices.
They further agreed that any label changes should be accompanied by education.
Public Health Association of Australia chief executive Terry Slevin has told the Sydney Morning Herald the labelling of sugars on packaged foods and drinks needs to be enacted.
Mr Slevin says the initiative should be incorporated into the calculation of health star ratings, something which had been recommended by an independent health star rating review.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 3:50pm
a quick soup for this cold miserable weather...

cook a packet of oriental two minute noodles (with stock supplied) in a half pint of water. Add a large can of creamed corn, bring to the boil, then drizzle in the whites of two eggs. I also add the egg yolks and let them poach...my kids loved this simple sweet corn soup. Might make it today, for myself.

as for that dreadful concoction that started the thread...a huge 'no' from me. 
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:13pm
That recipe basically kept me alive when I was a poor student (although I used the chicken stock and added frozen peas).  The eggs were the key.   I still make it these days.
Thumbs Up
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Tontonan Tontonan wrote:

That recipe basically kept me alive when I was a poor student (although I used the chicken stock and added frozen peas).  The eggs were the key.   I still make it these days.
Thumbs Up

I once did the whole shebang...broiling the chicken etc. for sweet corn soup...it never tasted as good as the two minute noodle recipe. 

I hate wasting hours of preparation for ten minutes of eating time...

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 6:10pm
I like to stretch chickens.

Buy a decent bird, oil and dust it in your preferred seasonings (I like pepper and garam masala), shove a decent sprig of rosemary, a cut lemon and a whole clove of garlic in the cavity.  Roast.

I usually carve off the wings and Marylands and eat them with roast veg and oodles of gravy.  That's two meals. 

The breasts can either be used for other dishes or as sandwich meat. That is two more meals.

Then I stock the carcass (along with the remains of the wings, drummies and thigh bones) which makes excellent soup.  The breast meat can always be shredded and frozen.  The stock can be frozen too.

That's five meals off the one bird.

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:12pm
bump Wink
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 7:29pm
I prefer whole chickens also. I love Indian food and a whole chicken sectioned and cooked in the pressure cooker with freshly ground spices with some Basmati rice and home made flaky paratha is hard to beat.
Curry takes about 12-15 minutes at full pressure.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:18pm
Yes please.  

I had a Sri Lankan girl friend who made amazing chicken curry.  She roasted her own spices on the BBQ and I had to beat the neighbors off the fence with a stick.  I should have taken notes.   

I am still learning the pressure cooker but I am very impressed with the results when I get it right. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:22pm
This is an excellent guide to times and other stuff.

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:31pm
How about this, last night it was tuna, celery and stuff.  Love the slight bite (taste wise) of canned tuna in brine.

Well bugger me, after finishing dinner the altogether better halfcomplained about sweetness and pointed to the can label which (sort of) identified sugar content. Shocked 

That totally annoyed me, and is just another mini example of reasons why so many people are borderline if not absolute diabetics these days.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm
Hidden sugar is a silent killer. It lurks everywhere. 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:38pm
I've been smashing avos for a week and boy I've had a gutfull of the stuff. Somebody gave me a dozen off his tree. Never liked avocado much to start with. 3 to go.Dead
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:39pm
Love avos on multigrain toast with lime(or lemon) juice and cracked black pepper for breakfast.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:41pm
Tlaz am told it's a great lubricant if you can better use the last three avos.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:45pm
You should plant a tree. This bloke only has one, planted about 8-10 years ago - can't remember exactly - and he's getting many more than he can handle.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:45pm
They take about 7 years to bear dont they?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 8:55pm
I don't know when it first started producing a useful crop. I know the tree is about  8 to 10 years old and he got 70+ this season? year?

Simon Cameron

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:05pm
I got given four avocado saplings recently, about 4 foot tall in small self watering planters.  I put a pair in the community garden and they were stolen within a week.  That happens from time to time but I didn't care.  They wont thrive in Melbourne without a highly skilled gardener to dote on them.

Tomorrow morning we are expecting a frost and 3º.  They wont like that. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 9:16pm
Pressure cookers are great for soups and dhals Tontonon.

Chickpeas, lentils, beans cook really quick and they get a better depth of flavor in them.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 10:16pm
I always thought Avos were tropical .  But a couple of weeks ago we were high up between Comboyne and Ellenborough Falls , at the top of the Range, inland about 2 hours drive from Laueriton, and there were 3 or 4 big Avo farms up there.  It would have to frost there on top of the Great Divide ?
animals before people.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:57pm
I don't know the country ... but frost is more likely to be an issue on flat open ground and valleys than on the top of mountains.  

Hot air rises, cold air sinks.  Frost is more likely, and more severe in a hollow or a valley than on top of the hills as the cold air accumulates down low and the frost creeps up the hill.   

This is a frost damaged avocado.  My saplings look like that.
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:58pm
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 1:11pm
The pics havnt worked Tontonan.
I just always thought the higher up it is the colder it gets, as it does snow up in the area I mentioned.   The higher tops of the Great Dividing Range always get snow in winter.  The Snowy Mts, The Blue Mts, The Barrington Tops, The New England, and on up to the Qld border.  What you say does make sense tho.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 2:42pm
Pressure cookedLamb neck Irish stew with cauliflower and broccoli mash for dinner tonight. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

I don't know when it first started producing a useful crop. I know the tree is about  8 to 10 years old and he got 70+ this season? year?

Update - 100+ since March this year off 10yo tree.

Simon Cameron

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 8:35pm
Irish Stew.  Now that is something a Pressure Cooker does really well.

Avocado : I was in Nimbin back in the late 1980's doing a Canonball Run.  My host asked if I liked Avos then led me to a tree that was about 4 or 5 metres tall.  She gave me a Safeway bag and shook the tree and it rained Avocados.  Amazing.  

Want a way to get your exercise and eat healthy all at once ?  Grow your own food !  

Between my little home garden, the community garden and food swap meets I grow a fair proportion of my own food.  The garden surplus I take to the food swap and exchange it for variety.  It is purely barter - no cash changes hands - and it is a fantastic place to get and give garden advice.  

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 9:12pm
Slow cooker tip for ignoramuses, i.e. me - do not cook dried kidney beans in slow cooker without boiling them first for at least 10 minutes.

I just found that out - not the hard way.

Simon Cameron

Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2019 at 10:51pm
Good tip.  I had no idea.  I usually use canned kidney beans.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2019 at 9:15am
Critical dietary information for surviving the upcoming festive season.Thumbs Up

Know how much you’ll be eating on Christmas Day? Here’s a rough idea

survey found the average British person on Christmas Day eats nearly 6000 calories – that’s three times what’s recommended for women (2000 calories per day) and more than twice for men (2500).

Perhaps they’ll even do better this year, in preparation for food running out when Brexit kicks in.

A US survey found that Americans do even better, eating up to 7000 calories on their big day – but this took into account diabetes-inducing breakfasts of sausages and maple syrup.

What about Australia, with our mythic toned bodies?

If somebody’s done a survey of Australian confessions, I couldn’t find it – possibly because all the survey takers have their faces planted in a pavlova somewhere at this time of year.

So for the sake of curiosity – and with nothing better to do since all the good parties failed to send me an invitation – I’ve cobbled together a rough but reasonable Christmas Day’s eating for an ordinary person who makes a vague effort to resist the mad rush to swallow everything on offer, including the traditional accidentally swallowed house fly (less than a calorie).

And so it begins

The kids are up at sparrow-fart, each present in their chubby hands seemingly unwrapping itself like a slow-motion explosion. The littlest one wanders over with a bunch of chocolate coins in golden aluminium. He offers you one and waits for you to say thank you: 31 calories.

Sensibly, you have a cup of tea with milk (17 calories) and a piece of buttered toast with Vegemite (112).

Seeking to offset the guilt of privilege and also to get some peace and quiet, you go to church and take Communion (88 calories per host wafer and 5 calories per sip of Eucharist wine).

Back home, crispy and salty snacks are put out for people dropping by for a morning drink. You feel like you’ve been up all night, need a little boost and yet carefully count out 10 peanuts (56 calories) and a refreshing, pious glass of ginger ale (80).

Damn, who can resist potato chips, but again – based on something you read about Barack Obama – 10 only (100).

Damn again, the neighbours are here with a half decent bottle of bona fide champers, a toast must be made, just to get rid of them (one glass, 87 calories).

Is it 11am already?

Must get the roast potatoes, pumpkin, sweet potato, and carrots on. Cooking with healthy olive oil, but. And pink salt!

The rolled turkey breast is looking good. Couple of chickens just in case. Yes, ham on the bone, but you’ll slice it thin.

Should you start eating the prawns now so everything doesn’t pile up? Just the three, and a squirt of lemon (34 calories).

Why the hell are you eating a mince pie (358 calories)? Oh yeah, because a cup of tea seemed sensible (17). And it’s Christmas.

An hour goes by, and the whole house turns into a cruise ship buffet. There’s panic because are there enough buttery crispy roast potatoes? You take the equivalent of two medium sized potatoes, and you know it’s gluttony but it’s Christmas and you vaguely pledge that the day’s carbs stop right here and now (406 calories).

Now the ham.

Who on earth has a single slice?

Two is bloody well restrained (228).

Turkey breast with skin, super healthy with a touch of naughtiness: like mother’s milk with a shot of gin in it. That’s probably 100 grams (189),  must come for seconds. And of course you’re having gravy, but no more than a quarter of a cup (44).

Small chicken drumstick, skin on (86).

Now for the really healthy side of things: pumpkin (half a cup is 58 calories, but without the olive oil factored in because who knows?); sweet potato (quarter cup is 34 calories, ditto the olive oil mystery); half  capsicum stuffed with rice and squash and minced meat that your sister made and everyone else is ignoring so you’re duty-bound to eat it and give it a review (270, she’s killing you, but red is a good Christmas colour on your plate); green peas (half a cup, 59).

So you’re sitting and eating but it feels a little like working. The ham and the turkey seem to evaporate. Must get some more but then you take a moment to wonder who are all these people?

Are they the Greeks from the corner?

Who invited them? Dear Lord, is an entire lamb carved into thin slices and then put together again as a table ornament? Is this about the shepherds in the Bible?

No, it’s about some kind of herbed lemon sauce that become glazed (292 calories for 100 grams that melts like butter and almost as rich).

You pour a second glass of red wine because red is good for you and it seems to cut the fat of the lamb (244 calories for the two glasses). You decide that will do for the booze today or at least until dinner.

Things have slowed a little. Like everyone is saying a little prayer and you’ll all start breathing again, and there’s seconds to think about.

Another modest slice of ham (114), another potato (203) because you wisely made plenty, and held a tray backs, so now it’s very crispy, and of course another splash of gravy (44) because you’ve got to drink something instead of wine.

Big sigh everybody

The puddings come out: store-bought Christmas pudding and custard, two of those come out (once slice 277 calories).

Pavlova, which is really a palate cleanser, referencing its foaminess more than creaminess, but genuinely light (40 grams beings 100 calories).

But what you really need is a cup of tea (17). Another (careless) hand full of peanuts to help you think (168 calories for 32).

A modest 3730.88 calories so far. Because eventually, there is dinner think of.

So imagine what it takes to match the Brits and the Americans.

By the way, most of the calorie references came from Fat Secret, not because of any claim to accuracy, but because the name made me laugh. The secret’s out.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2019 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

bump Wink

That was some BUMP Whale .

Did you see what he did to that poor bird .   No mention of killing it.

What are the RSPCA doing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>