Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Have We Peaked Athletically ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have We Peaked Athletically ?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:50pm
I am starting to think we may have come close to reaching our athletic peak. In many major sports we seem to have "old timers" hanging around for yonks. Some examples ;

* Mens & Womens tennis - Federer, Dovovic, Nadal et al & Serena seem to be as dominant now as they were 15 to 20 years ago
* Mens 100m - Usain Bolt dominated across 3 Olympics - & could probably make it a fourth if he wanted to. This would have been thought of as impossible 20 years ago
* Golf - Tiger has again proven he can match it with best (as have a few other "old" golfers on their day)
* NRL - we have just seen a player hit 400 games + 100 rep games in Cameron Smith - & he could be playing for another 2 years yet. Who would have predicted that was possible years ago ?
* Swimming - those Campbell sisters are still dominating Australian swimming. A sport that was was always considered a young persons game.

Probably many more examples. Seems the rapid improvement we saw up until the end of last century has well & truly stalled in many sports 
Refer ALP Election Promises
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 6:52pm
I peaked athletically in about 1967 aged 10.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:14pm
I said "athletically" PT - not mentally or sexually LOL
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:17pm
For the record - i'm 62 & still haven't peaked. Going from strength to strength. I can still put my big toe in my mouth when sitting down !
Tontonan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tontonan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:19pm
It seems to me your foot is in your mouth most of the time.  I never imagined you were actually trying to do it.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:23pm
 Very good Tontonan. You don't forgive easily do you
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 7:25pm
I actually get you confused with Voyager. Not sure why - Voyager actually makes worthwhile contributions.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:37am
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

For the record - i'm 62 & still haven't peaked. Going from strength to strength. I can still put my big toe in my mouth when sitting down !

Dont you mean your foot in your mouth ??  Confused   Why would you want to put your toe in your mouth Cry 
I can still carry 5 loaded dinner plates to the table with one hand. 
Been doing it for years.
If I dont trip over my own feet and plant the plates on the floor. LOL
What does all this prove tho ??? 
Oh yeahThumbs Up  Now I get it.    We aint what we used to be Big smile

animals before people.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:00am
A great question actually.     . Caused me to go into deep thought.

I can still handle using the Sorbent pieces with some difficulty so I probably get a pass as still being competitive.

Unless of course I'm to be penalised for having to use tooth picks, to clean under my finger nails , most times.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 10:44am
We haven’t peaked. World records continue to be broken. Guys like Bolt were just a big jump forward which is why he was able to win 3 in a row. In 20 years time his records won’t be around. Same goes for similar examples in other sports.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:00am
Correct - records will continue to be broke. My point was the level of improvement has plateaued big time in many major sports - the rate of improvement. This allows many top liners to stay competitive for much longer. Could you  imagine a sprinter in the 60's still being competitive in the the 80's. Yet bolt has done just that
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:13am
Top liners staying at the top for a long period is a result of both being much better by also they require durability. Durability doesn’t really have much to do with general improvement in the pack.

Bolt was a big jump forward. Much better than the competitor. Same goes for the 3 tennis players. Ahead of the pack. The rate of improvement in the pack does not matter when one or a few come along that are far ahead of said pack.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:25am

Correct - records will continue to be broke. My point was the level of improvement has plateaued big time in many major sports - the rate of improvement. This allows many top liners to stay competitive for much longer. Could you  imagine a sprinter in the 60's still being competitive in the the 80's. Yet bolt has done just that

Bolt hit his peak in 2008 - I can remember seeing him being beaten easily at the World Championships in 2007 - and more or less stayed at that level up to 2016 - a period of 9 years- not two decades.Wacko
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:38am
TimeWindAutoAthleteNationalityLocation of raceDateNotes[note 2]
10.061.3Bob Hayes United StatesTokyoJapanOctober 15, 1964[5]
10.030.8Jim HinesSacramento, USAJune 20, 1968[5]
10.022.0Charles GreeneMexico CityMexicoOctober 13, 1968A[5]
9.950.3Jim Hines United StatesMexico City, MexicoOctober 14, 1968OR, A[2]
9.931.4Calvin SmithColorado Springs, USAJuly 3, 1983A[2]
9.831.0Ben Johnson CanadaRome, ItalyAugust 30, 1987[note 3]
9.931.1Carl Lewis United StatesRome, ItalyAugust 30, 1987[5][6][note 4]
1.1ZürichSwitzerlandAugust 17, 1988[2]
9.791.1Ben Johnson CanadaSeoul, South KoreaSeptember 24, 1988[note 3][2]
9.921.1Carl Lewis United StatesSeoul, South KoreaSeptember 24, 1988OR[note 3][2]
9.901.9Leroy BurrellNew York, USAJune 14, 1991[2]
9.861.2 [a]Carl LewisTokyo, JapanAugust 25, 1991[2]
9.851.2Leroy BurrellLausanne, SwitzerlandJuly 6, 1994[2]
9.840.79.835Donovan Bailey CanadaAtlanta, USAJuly 27, 1996OR[2][7]
9.790.1Maurice Greene United StatesAthensGreeceJune 16, 1999[2]
9.782.0Tim MontgomeryParis, FranceSeptember 14, 2002[8][note 5]
9.771.69.768Asafa Powell JamaicaAthensGreeceJune 14, 2005[2]
1.79.766Justin Gatlin United StatesDohaQatarMay 12, 2006[5][9][note 6]
1.59.763Asafa Powell JamaicaGateshead, EnglandJune 11, 2006[2]
1.09.762ZürichSwitzerlandAugust 18, 2006[2]
9.741.79.735Rieti, ItalySeptember 9, 2007[1][10]
9.721.7Usain BoltNew York, USAMay 31, 2008[2]
9.690.09.683BeijingChinaAugust 16, 2008OR[2]
9.580.99.572Berlin, GermanyAugust 16, 2009CR[1][11][12]

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 11:41am
I reckon improvements in training and recovery methods have also allowed the top echelon to remain up for longer.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:30pm
Racehorse times are still coming down.  Even though Winx was so superior even in her last season she broke some times records.

Some of us today just have it to easy to push ourselves to greatness.  And others like me really have no sporting ability and trip over their own feet.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

Bolt hit his peak in 2008 - I can remember seeing him being beaten easily at the World Championships in 2007 - and more or less stayed at that level up to 2016 - a period of 9 years- not two decades.Wacko
Bolt dominated across 3 Olympics - give him one year either side as a minimum & I get it at at least -4 years
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:40pm
14 years
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

I reckon improvements in training and recovery methods have also allowed the top echelon to remain up for longer.

Exactly. Instead of an ice cold beer after a game they now have an ice bath
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:47pm
Is Federer a better player now than he was say 12 years ago. Is Nadal better now - or even Djokovic than say 10 years ago ( maybe Djokovic is - younger ). It obviously says a lot for that group - however I also think it puts a question mark over the younger ones coming through
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:52pm
The golf example above was not a good one on reflection. There have been many players with longevity - The Golden Bear for one. Mind you , one of the few sports that has always lent itself to longevity . Equipment / ball improvements have also played their part in facilitating
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:52pm
 Older tennis players still winning is in no way related to the thread heading

If you want to discuss the slowing of improvement in measurable athletic records okay, but if you want to discuss the younger generation not being able to beat older champions change the thread name
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Racehorse times are still coming down.  Even though Winx was so superior even in her last season she broke some times records.

Some of us today just have it to easy to push ourselves to greatness.  And others like me really have no sporting ability and trip over their own feet.

The thing that strikes me about racehorses is how little they have improved in the last 100 years, if indeed they have improved at all.Big smile Most if not all of the marginal decreases in track records are due to track redesigns and resurfacing.

Simon Cameron

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:02pm
Not a good idea to have a preoccupation with records.
Hard tracks will through up records, but you may not have a horse afterwards.

Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
Too many variables
weight, weather, wind, 
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
The unknown is what impact drugs have had over the years to achieve the performances. Both power & stamina. Have things slowed up a bit because the practices have been tightened up. I would think a good example is cycling. Cyclists in the good old Armstrong days 15 to 20 years ago would be more than competitive than those today. The ability to back up day after day in the 3 week Grand Tours would have been the biggest difference
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

Older tennis players still winning is in no way related to the thread heading

If you want to discuss the slowing of improvement in measurable athletic records okay, but if you want to discuss the younger generation not being able to beat older champions change the thread name
You can do that Whale if it interests you
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:07pm
The only time cycling was ever interesting was during the Pantani/Armstrong years. Who watches the TDF these days?

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 1:12pm
My favourite sport to watch & punt on. I watched stage 9 instead of the Tennis & Cricket finals. Stage was crap - with the breakaway winning with over 10 min. Last night was an absolute corker. Supposed to a bunch sprint finish - crosswinds got up & a number top seeds effectively finished. Greatest sport in the world. Huge in Europe
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 2:13pm

14 years

Try 10. 3 Olympics 8 years not 12. 2008,2012,2016
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>