Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Vow And Declare

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 6:46pm
Hope Springs eternal.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 6:48pm

Mr Grieves - I agree, he was disappointing.

Max Maneawer - maybe. Problem now is that he will have big weights in the spring Cups and he looks a little one paced for WFA races. The other issie is we dont hsve many 2400m+ races in Australia at WFA either.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Vow And Declare was disappointing, wasn't good enough - yes he had 61kg but as Djebel said the difference was only 5kg from the top weight (61kg) and the bottom weight (56kg).

Perhaps Timeform was spot on with that Cup win in terms of 117 which was lowest rating for a Melbourne Cup winner since Brew (2000 - 114).

Personally the spread of the weight wasnt the issue.
Individually he carried a weight that he couldnt handle
Put a cricket ball or a brick in your pocket and feel the difference
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:46pm
He's a lot better than today's run but will still be a hard horse to place for a win. Should win Andrew Ramjet if they go on but after that?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 8:59pm
But he has earned that weight being a Melbourne Cup winner and the field wasnt good. He should of run a lot better

Edited by Gay3 - 25 Apr 2020 at 10:19pm
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:52pm
Didn't mind the fact he was beaten four lengths by Haky, but the fact that 2nd, 3rd and fourth all went past him in the last 200m was the poor part of his run.

For him to be fit for the 3200m in the spring, they need to run him in the Ramsden, if not he will be aimed at the Mackinnon - Sandown Classic double.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:14pm
Stewards Report

Race 4 WILLIAM NEWTON VC HANDICAP - 2600 metres:

Vow and Declare Rider Craig Williams reported the gelding was disappointing, that he had travelled well throughout the race, gained clear running at the top of the straight and was then one‑paced. He added Vow and Declare felt fresh prior to the race which is not his usual temperament and that the gelding had pulled up well. Trainer Danny O'Brien reported the gelding appeared to pull up well but had performed below his best and it was his intention to give the gelding a spell from racing. Mr O'Brien undertook to notify Stewards should he become aware of any condition that may have affected Vow and Declare's performance. A post‑race veterinary examination failed to reveal any abnormalities. A swab sample was taken for analysis.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 12:17am
Our champion stayer. Loooooool

Fair dinkum, our horses regress by the MONTH.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:27am
Happy to play Devil's advocate. He won The Melbourne Cup with a very light weight, pretty close to the minimum...was it 52kgs? In the MC he raced on the pace in a very slowly run affair and with that postage stamp weight he managed to kick on front the front and fall in by a nose.

I was a fan of his this time last year when he was ridden back in the field & finishing strongly. His Queensland Guineas run was phenomenal after racing wide. I think he is a good stayer but needs to be ridden quietly to produce his best. IMHO weight is weight regardless of the class they are running in and given he raced on the speed he was made to carry it today. 61kgs over 2600 metres is no easy task and although he is a good horse, he is no champion.

IMO.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 8:26am
He should of put that field field away. Off-season stayers that lot.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:12am
Vow & Declare wasn’t terrible but he was very plain.

Congrats to Voyager & Grey Affair in latching onto Haky at double figure odds. In hindsight, he was running a few good races last spring with close 3rds behind Marmelo & Call the Wind in France & behind Prince of Arran & True Self in the Geelong Cup - some quality stayers in that lot! I guess Haky will spell now & get ready for a crack at the Melb Cup.

As for Vow & Declare, I’m not sure why Danny didn’t follow the 2000, 2400, 3200m template that worked last spring again in the Autumn - ie: Aust Cup, Tancred, Sydney Cup. The QE Stakes was always a weird race for him. Although I guess the cancellation of Qld winter carnival has messed up plans a little.
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:06pm
Trainer has baulked this one up. Horse looked overworked and one paced first up over 2000m yet he still backed it up again over 2000m against the elite of the elite. Mindboggling decision should have been aimed at the Sydney Cup.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:19pm
2400m+ is when Vow And Declare is at his best. Not sure he is suited at 2000m or less. A lot of Melbourne Cup Winners have been good enough to win at 2000m WFA or less. Not sure this applies to Vow And Declare.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 1:56pm
I don't think the trainer would be too worried, besides the handicapper maybe a little kind to him in the spring.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 3:02pm
My opinion is Vow And Declare will get between 56kg and 57kg
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 10:49pm
I couldn't help but think of djebel when listening to Archie reflecting on Haky's win:

"Alexander said he has focused on teaching Haky to settle better in his races, which could lead to a profitable spring campaign for the Irish-bred stayer.

“I was adamant the minute I got this horse that he’s not going to be leading anymore,” Alexander said.

“I think going the Australian way of trialling over 800, running over 1000, running over a mile, the non-European things, has really taught this horse to relax and stop having his own way.

“He always had his own way in Europe and we’re teaching him that this is the way we want him to race."

Reminiscent of how Bart trained his stayers Thumbs Up

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:29pm
Not sure I understand.

His campaign has been 1600 - 2000 - 2600 ?

The only thing Australian about it so far has been fortnightly racing. 

reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:49pm
Australia: "Vow And Declare ran to a Timeform rating of 110 on Saturday. He ran to 117 in the Melbourne Cup. Very different pace scenario on Sat. Had he run to his Cup level I think he struggles to beat Haky anyway"

Also bear in mind that his peak Timeform rating is 119 when 3rd in the Australian Cup.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 4:50pm
Meant to say from Timeform Australia
Mr Grieves View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Grieves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:40pm
"According to some guy's opinion, VAD ran to a rating of 110 on Saturday. He ran to 117 in the Melbourne Cup."
Xavier View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xavier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:03pm
anyone that pays money for that service is a fool
Karl and Susan Kennedy are my heroes
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Xavier Xavier wrote:

anyone that pays money for that service is a fool

I dont pay money. My friend works for Timefoem Australia (racing and sports) so he tells me
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:51pm
Past 6 Starts - Timeform Ratings

25/4/20 - 5th: Open Handicap (2600m HCP): 110

11/4/20 - 9th: G1 Queen Elizabeth Stakes (2000m WFA): 108

7/3/20 - 3rd: G1 Australian Cup (2000m WFA): 119*

5/11/19 - 1st: G1 Melbourne Cup (3200m HCP): 117

19/10/19 - 2nd: G1 Caulfield Cup (2400m HCP): 117

5/10/19 - 4th: G1 Turnbull Stakes (2000m SWP): 117

*Asterisk indicates peak career Timeform rating*
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:31pm
He's been nominated for the Herbert Power, what's going on here?
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

He's been nominated for the Herbert Power, what's going on here?

No idea. Would be up in the weights too.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:33pm
Trainer was a genius last year, but he went away from the prep and now is playing catch up.

Should have had a similar autumn/winter campaign as last year and he did not so now he is not fit enough and needs probably another two runs to get him anywhere near right.

Was never going to win the race anyway but the trainer who we gave the bouquets to last year, needs to be given the bricks when deserved. 

One thing Bart always said about his cups horses is that he could see as two year olds they were cups types and so he gave them a 3 year prep for that first Tuesday in November. Training a cups horse is not just about the cup preparation you need to train them at least twelve months out. 

I have backed him but I am scared that Surprise Baby has not had a similar prep to last year. There is a reason European trainers use the same races year in year out.

I stand by for djebel's post    
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:30pm
Has he said he is a certainty to run in the Herbert Power ?

I'd say he has just entered him for the sake of it.
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by VOYAGER VOYAGER wrote:

Trainer was a genius last year, but he went away from the prep and now is playing catch up.

Should have had a similar autumn/winter campaign as last year and he did not so now he is not fit enough and needs probably another two runs to get him anywhere near right.

Was never going to win the race anyway but the trainer who we gave the bouquets to last year, needs to be given the bricks when deserved. 

One thing Bart always said about his cups horses is that he could see as two year olds they were cups types and so he gave them a 3 year prep for that first Tuesday in November. Training a cups horse is not just about the cup preparation you need to train them at least twelve months out. 

I have backed him but I am scared that Surprise Baby has not had a similar prep to last year. There is a reason European trainers use the same races year in year out.

I stand by for djebel's post    

Voyager - Rogan Josh wasn't with Bart for 12 months so Bart wasn't able to train him for 12 months, the same with Lets Elope. But I see your point also as well.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Has he said he is a certainty to run in the Herbert Power ?

I'd say he has just entered him for the sake of it.

I reckon he is entered as assurance in case Danny does decide to run him
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 8:19pm
He was ok in the Craiglee & Turnbull, but really pedestrian efforts in the 2 Cups.

Hes only a lightly raced 5yo & so long as hes physically ok, should race on.  

But where to in 2021 for V&D?  Not a lot of races hes suited to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>