Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Topic ClosedGolf

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golf
    Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:20pm
To illustrate how earnings in world golf have escalated over the years one has only to look at the prize money paid out at the  2019 US Open.

Jack Nicklaus won $363,955 in his career and Arnold Palmer earned $112,119 in his career.

Adam Scott earned $ 367,387 for tying for 7th in the 2019 US Open, and the players who tied for 27th each received $117,598.

Allowing for inflation over those past 40/50 years today's prize money has grown exponentially.
Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 10:29pm
Same in tennis,Djokovic has earned over $125 million

n 1971 Rodney (ROD) George Laver won a record $292,717 dollars which took his career total to a record $1,006,947.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2019 at 11:36pm
365 thousand in career earnings! As usual with Baggy's claims that has sent my bullsh1t detector right off. Where the hell did you get that from?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:39am
Those figures for career earnings are wrong. Jack won over $5.7 million.

That aside, how good is Brooks Koepka?

The US Open is the toughest event to win based on the way they set the course up.

He is 2 wins and a seconds the past 3 years ... plus past 2 USPGA's and runner up at the Masters.

He actually played poorly from the 8th onward on Sunday, or who knows!?

Gary Woodland is a great story too - went to College on a Basketball scholarship that didn't work out, but he was a true all-rounder ... a gun baseballer and golfer as well ... so a late bloomer and by his own admission, he had to learn the short game ... he learnt good!

In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:12am
Top sportsman are special. Koepka is VERY special !
Refer ALP Election Promises
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:15am
Has Tiger Woods had his 1986 Masters moment - the last splutter - or can he win another major?

Simon Cameron

oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:27am
Hard to say. I never thought he could come back like he has. He certainly can never dominate the game like he did years ago. Too many exceptional youngsters coming through all the time. And then you have the "old school" Koepka , Mcilroy, Johnson, Spieth, Rose , Thomas et al. Keep an eye out for Schauffelle - will be surprised if he's not a multiple majors winner.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:37am
Anyone ever wanted to play/have played Pebble Beach? I’m garbage at golf but a possible bucket-lister if time ever allowed.
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:47am
I’d love to play there but not going to part with close to $1000 to do so
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 10:52am
The $1k doesn’t bother me for something like that. It’s a once off after all. Have dropped $1k many times in far quicker and less satisfying circumstances than a round of golf.
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:04am
Pebble Beach was one of my favourite courses back when I played Tiger Woods Golf and that's as close as I will ever come to playing it for real.

Simon Cameron

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

365 thousand in career earnings! As usual with Baggy's claims that has sent my bullsh1t detector right off. Where the hell did you get that from?

Tiger has averaged $1.36 million in winnings for each of his 74 career tour wins.Jack Nicklaus, who has the most all-time wins in the majors (18) and is third on the all-time PGA Tour wins list (73), won just $5.7 million in his career, or just $78,548 per win.Sep 4, 2012

you b'sht detector is working well Thumbs Up
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:57am

I stand corrected, that is the prize money Palmer & Nicklaus each won when they won the US Open, not their overall prize money.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Hard to say. I never thought he could come back like he has. He certainly can never dominate the game like he did years ago. Too many exceptional youngsters coming through all the time. And then you have the "old school" Koepka , Mcilroy, Johnson, Spieth, Rose , Thomas et al. Keep an eye out for Schauffelle - will be surprised if he's not a multiple majors winner.

I disagree with this.
Tom Watson was leading the British Open a few years ago, aged 124.
Woods shot 6 under for the final 12 holes at Pebble Beach on Sunday.
He swing is ultra smooth now, and far better than it has been the past 10 years, due to injury.

Look at this, just a few weeks ago.
Absolutely sublime.
Its as silk as when he won the British Open in 2000, by about 38 shots. 

Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:29pm

Has Tiger Woods had his 1986 Masters moment - the last splutter - or can he win another major?

He just won the Masters and proved he still has the game, and more importantly, he proved that he has the desire and the attitude - he was too far back this week at the US Open, started with 4 dropped shots in the first 6 on Sunday, and was then 6 under his last 12 holes - nobody else did that!
In reference to every post in the Trump thread ... "There may have been a tiny bit of license taken there" ... Ok, Thanks for the "heads up" PT!
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 3:35pm
Tiger will win another major, but he is a victim of his own success - he made the game popular again, and the depth in the playing ranks now is a result of that.
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 4:59pm
Woods would be a great player in any era but I don’t buy the comments re the depth
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 7:12pm
And one of the reasons is this from the PGA

Woods’ new TaylorMade M5 driver in 2019, for example, has an adjustable hosel for loft and lie settings, rather than the bonded hosel Woods used in 2000. The M5 also has adjustable weights for CG (center of gravity) placement to help dial in flight characteristics. Additionally, while Woods used a 120+ gram True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 steel shaft in 2000, he now uses a significantly lighter 60-gram Mitsubishi Diamana graphite shaft. Back in 2000, Woods also used a driver face that was scratched with sandpaper to prevent slippage at impact, a technique that is now illegal.
Dr E View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2019 at 11:31pm
I don't know what any of that is supposed to mean? ... they rarely use a driver these days due to the golf ball technology anyway, and they have made the golf courses longer and tighter to compensate for it (just watch the women shooting 20 under in events on what were once standard length courses for the men) ... Jack used steel shafted persimmon headed "woods" and the mandatory small ball at The Open ... Young Tom Morris used a hickory shafted mashie to belt his feathery or his gutty around ... they all have the same advantages from equipment evolution. The competition is most definitely stronger and deeper than when Tiger was dominating.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Woods would be a great player in any era but I don’t buy the comments re the depth

I strongly agree with this.
Take Rickie Fowler as example, the guy cant win.
Older players like Kuchar, are still winning tournaments, and he is a total hack compared to players such as Nicklaus, Greg Norman, Faldo, etc.
They would have thrashed Kuchar.

I honestly believe the only 3 players near Woods, is Adam Scott, Jason Day, and Brooks Koepka.
Jason had some personal stuff going on, but you can expect him to have a decade of wins.

Outside of this, the fields are just A grade and B grade.
Players like Justin Rose are just A grade.
They arent A plus ++.
I call them the Tom Kites of golf. They just hang around, play okay, and snare a win here and there.

Scott, Day and Koepka are genuine talents.
Spieth is slightly under them. Although Spieth gets a massive tick for bravery, the will to win.
Spieth idolises Jason Day,I think that says something.

Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 9:53am
Well said redemption
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:00am
Some years ago I remember seeing a graphic of how prizemoney exploded due to the popularity of Tiger in his prime. The guys of today have a lot to thank him for.
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Older players like Kuchar, are still winning tournaments, and he is a total hack compared to players such as Nicklaus, Greg Norman, Faldo, etc.

I honestly believe the only 3 players near Woods, is Adam Scott, Jason Day, and Brooks Koepka.
Jason had some personal stuff going on, but you can expect him to have a decade of wins.

They arent A plus ++.
I call them the Tom Kites of golf. They just hang around, play okay, and snare a win here and there.

Spieth is slightly under them. Although Spieth gets a massive tick for bravery, the will to win.

Come off it.LOL Scott will never win another major- the bloke can't putt - touch of a lumberjack- million to one. Day might get one or even two more over a long career. He will never be a dominant player unfortunately. He usually fades in the run home.

Simon Cameron

Whale View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Dr E Dr E wrote:

I don't know what any of that is supposed to mean? ... they rarely use a driver these days due to the golf ball technology anyway, and they have made the golf courses longer and tighter to compensate for it (just watch the women shooting 20 under in events on what were once standard length courses for the men) ... Jack used steel shafted persimmon headed "woods" and the mandatory small ball at The Open ... Young Tom Morris used a hickory shafted mashie to belt his feathery or his gutty around ... they all have the same advantages from equipment evolution. The competition is most definitely stronger and deeper than when Tiger was dominating.

yes a bizarre post Confused
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 12:49pm

Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

They arent A plus ++.

Come off it.LOL Scott will never win another major- the bloke can't putt - touch of a lumberjack- million to one. Day might get one or even two more over a long career. He will never be a dominant player unfortunately. He usually fades in the run home.

Without being as harsh as you, you may be right. Adam really does struggle with the putter.
He is in very good form and a massive chance of Winning the Open

Day is no different to the others of his generation. He may or may not win again. His body is certainly against him
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:02pm
I know he has only won 1 major at the age of 34 - however i think Dustin Johnson is likely to win more Majors going forward than either Day or Scott - & Tiger as well for that matter.
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:06pm
Would say McIlroy will as well
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:09pm

And one of the reasons is this from the PGA

Woods’ new TaylorMade M5 driver in 2019, for example, has an adjustable hosel for loft and lie settings, rather than the bonded hosel Woods used in 2000. The M5 also has adjustable weights for CG (center of gravity) placement to help dial in flight characteristics. Additionally, while Woods used a 120+ gram True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 steel shaft in 2000, he now uses a significantly lighter 60-gram Mitsubishi Diamana graphite shaft. Back in 2000, Woods also used a driver face that was scratched with sandpaper to prevent slippage at impact, a technique that is now illegal.

Okay, it appears I need to be more direct for some. I didn’t realise it was so cryptic.
Redemption was spot on. The current era of players is not strong.
There is not depth in talent. There is a depth of limited talent . It is masked by the technology that’s come into the game as highlighted above with what goes into Tigers clubs.

It keeps the “in the hole” and “you’re the man” mob happy but very few of these guys could have performed in the 80s or 90s
Imagine them trying to drive a persimmon wood
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:10pm
Tiger is 45 years old with a dodgy back - cant see even him racking up too many more Majors
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2019 at 1:18pm
Cant believe you lot saying there is a lack of talent in the golfing ranks. Outstanding golfers coming out of the woods everywhere. So much so it will become more difficult to truly dominate like Tiger did. The European & Asian Tours are stronger than ever - with an ever increasing number trying their luck in the top PGA & secondary leagues in the States. I suppose you are saying the same thing about the women as well ? They are a country mile ahead of those 20 years ago - led by the South Koreans. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>