Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Sam Kavanagh

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sam Kavanagh
    Posted: 27 May 2019 at 10:38pm
Can't be serious saying he didnt know

Disqualified trainer Sam Kavanagh will be in a position to re-apply for a trainer's licence later this year after successfully reducing his penalty on appeal.

Kavanagh, the eldest son of Flemington trainer Mark, was initially given a nine-year and three months disqualification in NSW in 2015 over a raft of cobalt and caffeine charges.

That term was reduced to six years and three months plus a $3000 fine when appealed the first time.

However in February, the Supreme Court of NSW established that Kavanagh should not have been issued with the mandatory three-year ban under AR 175 (h) (i) as they found he did not attempt to affect a horse's performance as he did not knowingly administer cobalt to the horses.

Kavanagh returned to the NSW Racing Appeals Tribunal after the NSW Supreme Court ruling and on Monday the tribunal altered the penalties issued to the trainer.

Kavanagh's period of disqualification was reduced to four years, five months and one week. His penalty will now expire on October 26, the day of this year's Cox Plate.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 10:54pm
That should not mean he is automatically relicensed.

reductio ad absurdum
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 10:58pm
Racing in this country is in shambles at the moment. No wonder sports betting is slowly devouring the industry.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
skippy123 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skippy123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

Racing in this country is in shambles at the moment. No wonder sports betting is slowly devouring the industry.

Considering people are now getting off Cobalt charges or a few months suspensions, was nine years really a reasonable penalty??
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2019 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

The problem I see Shovhog is that too many people who do not understand racing, are sticking their noses into a situation they know nothing about.

When someone becomes a magistrate, they have worked and been involved in court cases and they understand what a piece of evidence means and what impact it potentially could to a family a community and a society.

In recent cases and this case in particular judges who sit on the supreme court may own a racehorse, or they may visit a marquee on Everest day or Melbourne Cup day, or as they are in Canberra Black Opal day, but they do not seem to understand the nuances of racing cases.

I have heard that some judges think some of the rules and punishments in racing are archaic, such as blaming a trainer for a positive, even though he may of had nothing to do with the administration of the drug.

There is a reason for this rule being in place, but I have a feeling that if a trainer was to take a disqualification under these circumstance, so say if Waller had a runner in Melbourne who was positive, and he was based in Sydney, if he took the racing authority to the supreme court they would say that that rule is prejudicial and there for unconstitutional, even though any person who understands racing knows exactly why that rule is in place.

It is the same as the situation with Gai Waterhouse. There was a rule in place that a spouse of a disqualified licensed person could not be licensed by the AJC, and we all know why that was in place, but it was shut down by the supreme court, or high which ever one.

Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm
Racing is a sport of second chances and Sam Kavanagh and Sikandarabad are about to encounter theirs.

Kavanagh is in the midst of rebuilding his training career after serving a disqualification period of almost four-and-a-half years for a series of cobalt and caffeine rule breaches.

The ban was initially nine years but multiple appeals saw Kavanagh's disqualification period conclude last October. He regained his licence from Racing NSW late in 2019.

"I can't sit and dwell on the past," Kavanagh said.

"Mistakes were made but the important thing is to move forward and have a clear picture of where we're going.

"At the end of the day I'm very passionate about racing, I'm very passionate about horses and I'm very passionate about training winners.

"There's always going to be animosity from people within the industry but you've got to move forward and not let your past define you."

Kavanagh's long road to redemption took another small step forward last week with the purchase of tried horse Sikandarabad.

The son of Dr Fong was bred and briefly raced in Ireland by the Aga Khan with Group 1 ambitions. He was then sold to Yulong Investments, transferred to Australia and joined Lindsay Park Racing.

Sikandarabad just missed out on elite-level success, finishing third beaten a neck by Patrick Erin in the G1 Metropolitan Handicap (2400m) at Randwick in September 2018 and fourth to Fierce Impact in the G1 Toorak Handicap (1600m) at Caulfield in October 2019

Yulong Investments offered Sikandarabad, winless from his past 13 starts since February 2019, for sale at the Inglis 2020 May Online Sale. Kavanagh purchased Sikandarabad for $100,000, making him the dearest gelding from the catalogue.

"Yulong are moving on horses that have still got some nice racing in them, I think they're streamlining their business towards their stallions - they've got the Blue Diamond winner Tagaloa as well as Alabama Express and Grunt," Kavanagh said.

"I think a horse like him doesn't suit that system obviously but for us it's an opportunity.

"Lindsay Park have an amazing record for having sound, older horses. We had him checked out and vetted and he's a sound, nice older horse that we can run pretty much straight away.

"His spring form was excellent, he has only run over 2000 metres once over the past 18 months and I'm not 100 per cent sure why that is but he ran third in the Naturalism Stakes over 2000 metres and he's got a placing in the Metropolitan over 2400 metres.

"From our perspective too we need to get back racing on Saturdays in town and we need a nice horse to have a benchmark in the stable to bring the younger horses along. He was really a no-brainer for us."

Kavanagh has fielded plenty of interest since acquiring Sikandarabad, with several first-time owners indicating a willingness to race the rising eight-year-old.

"He's the sort of horse that can give us the opportunity to run in nice races on the big days and it's very hard to get that opportunity at that cost," Kavanagh said.

"We're not expecting him to be a Group 1 horse for us but there's races now through the winter."

The Listed Winter Challenge (1500m) at Rosehill on the final Saturday in July could be when Sikandarabad runs for new connections, with the Listed Rowley Mile (1600m) and Listed Wyong Cup (2100m) also provisionally identified as suitable races.

Kavanagh lives in Scone with partner Kelly Fawcett, who practices equine therapy, and has a dozen horses in his care with stables at Muswellbrook.

"We've got a couple of yearlings, it's going to be a slow burn," Kavanagh said.

"We've got access to some really good tracks and can have a crack at Highway races in town and the Country Championships with the right horses.

"We hope in time that we can prove that we are a metropolitan-quality stable training from the country."

One of Kavanagh's strongest supporters is likely to provide him with the first runner from exile within weeks.

Prominent owner-breeder Gerry Harvey, who operates thoroughbred auction house Magic Millions in addition to other business interests, has transferred Swiss Ace filly Magnificently into Kavanagh's care.

Harvey provided Kavanagh with a character reference during his 2015 stewards' inquiry.

"Sam has been honest and up front in all transactions I have had with him. I would happily send him more horses to train when his disqualification comes to an end," Harvey said at the time.

Kavanagh is appreciative of the 'amazing support' he and Fawcett have received from Harvey and other local stud owners.

"They're not only sending us horses but they've been very good to myself and Kelly over the past few years. They've given us confidence and been our lifeline," he said
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Like many in the industry he was cutting corners and looking for any advantage even if it was very shady. 

A young kid looking to make it on the bigtime. I hope he can rebuild. He has done his time. Im no admirer of his but he will learn from this and hopefully improve.
Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
You reckon? The flea is a cruel bastard, the level of cobalt in his horses prove that, Gerry is a dick, an old man with SFB........Gerry used to be astute, a nice man to boot, he supported a lot of struggling trainers, guys like S Jones who once trained from Rosehill, why Gerry would support someone like Kavanagh is beyond me......anyone who behaved like Kavanagh did regarding his horses should be punished accordingly.......most horse trainers love and live for their horses, we would never ram into them the crap he did......and he's saying leading studs will support him? I've bought from a lot of the ''leading studs' if I learn who is supporting him I wont buy again from them.....I hope many other trainers and owners do the same.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 3:59pm
People at Racing.con must have rocks in their heads to write an article in essence promoting this guy. 
to the victor
Venus View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Venus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by linghi11 linghi11 wrote:

People at Racing.con must have rocks in their heads to write an article in essence promoting this guy. 

It’s typical of them, always playing favourites and promoting the cheats.
Batman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Batman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Venus Venus wrote:

Haha. They constantly promote Mitch Beer. Says it all.
“Gambling has brought our family closer together. We had to move to a smaller house.”
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 9:37pm
Linghi? Racing dot com supports mike Symons!! They have a very low moral compass
Venus View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Venus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2020 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by Straight arrow Straight arrow wrote:

Linghi? Racing dot com supports mike Symons!! They have a very low moral compass

Could not believe it when I saw him on it. No morals at all.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 11:04am

Could not believe it when I saw him on it. No morals at all.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree, I blow up every time I see him on there which is far too often

Edited by Gay3 - 02 Jun 2020 at 2:13pm
to the victor
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 1:19pm
He is on there right now

The hosts are blowing smoke up as ..... as per usual
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 2:07pm
No one brings racing into disrepute more than racing.con
to the victor
Red Hare View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Red Hare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 2:33pm
They say 'time heals all wounds', most likely due to the memories of the collective conscience being slowly eroded and walled off by herd immunity and the natural recency bias. 

I'm pretty confident that I'll never forget that Fat Sam's cheating killed Midsummer Sun because I'm deeply engrossed in the racing game. However, it's the finer details that keep the story alive and well in the pubs. For instance, nobody's going to forget that 7-drawer tool chest full of sex toys that were confiscated during the raids.
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 3:18pm
Spot on RH? How does Gerry feel about Midsummer Sun? maybe he watches Midsummer Murders on one of his 75'' tv's and is confused.......leopards don't change their spots, the gloating sticks in my mind, not to mention the black comedy that emerged when his old man got involved and the GM of BRC......he was disqualified too, if it all wasn't so sad and animals died it would be funny,.......but it aint!!!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 4:18pm
a few people claimed that Weir’s jiggers were sex toys, makes me wonder
to the victor
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 5:53pm
You never know, Linghi.  Kinky is as kinky does Cry A new use for a jigger maybe ???? LOL
animals before people.
Straight arrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straight arrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 7:38pm
The problem is? R dot Com , is RVL!!!!
Balciano View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balciano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Batman Batman wrote:

Originally posted by Venus Venus wrote:

Haha. They constantly promote Mitch Beer. Says it all.

Can I ask what the story with Mitch Beer is Batman? Cheers
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 12:09pm
Im with Balciano. Been meaning to ask, what is the story ?
reductio ad absurdum
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 2:16pm
Well he's back.......today @ Muswellbrook, a plethora of owners, all supporters of that bloke, what a blight on racing, they'll be some who say he's done his time, but what a crime? where the hell was the SPCA in all this?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 2:19pm
And here's me thinking he just got boxes at Randwick.LOLLOLLOL
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 3:32pm
He's got 2 runners I see, one for G Harvey.........shame on Gerry, supporting a bloke like this/that, no matter how much he spruiks his life changes, it's not fooling me......you're cruel to animals you're cruel for life. I wont be buying from Gerry ever again. #bloodyangry
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 3:57pm
A mate told me he had a share in Jirnaas last night and it was a good each way hope. Nearly fell over when I saw the trainer. I asked why would he want to be with SKR, and he said "done the crime, served the time". Some people just don't get it. 
Bonjour View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Thank you Rhino, at least I'm not Robinson Crusoe.
 Post Reply Post Reply