Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Broodmares
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

WINX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINX
    Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:31am
Sorry SC, missed your post. I am pleased to see that other horsey people think the same.
Majestic View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Majestic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2022 at 10:28am
She wasn’t ready? Modern vet science can circumvent most “unready” problems with breeding mares. And, what’s wrong with a Dec foal from her. She didn’t come really good til, a 3yo. If any of Winx’s breeders read this forum, keep going and give the girl a programmed year off next year. Probably too late now 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 10:03pm
Crikey.  Who should we believe ???? LOL
animals before people.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 6:23pm
Thanks Gay.  Talk about mixed messages from the ownership group.

So she WAS served once, thus DIDN'T have the season off as they earlier said.

And wasn't served once more "because she wasn't ready".  Which suggests she may well have been colicky as rumor implied.

And what's wrong with a mid or late December serve?  By which time she "might've been ready"?

Fair dinkum, this lot couldn't lie straight in bed so should just shut the $&*-up instead of wasting our time with bullsh1t.  

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 6:07pm
Racenet:

Winx made winning routine on the racetrack but motherhood is proving far more challenging.

After the celebrated birth of her first foal two months ago, Winx has failed to fall pregnant again this breeding season.

This means the mighty mare will not produce her second foal until the spring of 2024 at the earliest – more than five years after she contested her final race.

Part-owner Peter Tighe confirmed Winx has failed to get back in foal after visiting Arrowfield Stud's super sire Snitzel a few weeks ago.

"Winx was served once by Snitzel but the (pregnancy) tests returned negative, she is not in foal,'' Tighe said.

"There were plans to send her to Snitzel again but she wasn't ready. We were hopeful she would get back in foal this year so it's disappointing but that is Mother Nature.

"It was getting very late in the season and our first priority is always Winx's health and well-being.

"The ownership group just felt it would be in Winx's best interests to give her a year off and she will be better for it.''

Winx made headlines again around the racing world when she gave birth to a filly foal by Coolmore's champion sire Pierro in early October.

Tighe said the good news is Winx is a "doting Mum" to her two-month-old filly.

"Winx keeps a close eye on her foal,'' Tighe said. "Everything is going well with the filly, she is strong and healthy.''

Tighe said it was "too early" to say whether Winx would return to Snitzel in the 2023 breeding season.

"There is no reason not to go back to Snitzel but that is not something the owners have discussed yet,'' he added.

Winx won 37 of her 43 races, including 33 in succession to close out her career. She won 25 times at Group 1 level and earned a world record $26.4m prizemoney.

But it hasn't been plain sailing for Winx at stud with the mare tragically losing her first foal in 2020. She was given a year to recover then produced her first foal earlier this spring.

Meanwhile, champion broodmare Jade Tiara has passed away. She was 29.

Jade Tiara, who resided at breeder Ian Smith's Edinburgh Park at Taree, is famous as the dam of Hong Kong's super sprinter Silent Witness.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 4:52pm
I'm confused.  This from Racing.com today:

"Australia’s greatest ever race mare Winx will not have a Snitzel foal next season after connections confirmed the 10-year-old broodmare would be having a season off.  Winx has her stunning Pierro filly at foot but is not in foal to the super stallion Snitzel, who is a four-time Australasian champion sire, as had been initially planned.

In a tweet from the official Winx account of the Tighe, Kepitis and Treweek families, it was announced: “It’s not the update we were hoping to provide, sadly it wasn’t meant to be this year for Winx and Snitzel”.

ps Having a season off, posted a whole two months after she foaled the Pierro filly?  Suspect there might well be far more to this than meets the eye.

pss apart from the confusion, aren't people totally sick of bullsh1t hype from breeders etc?  Having seen a couple of photos her foal appears far from "stunning". I suppose had it been a colt it would have been described as "cracking".  Ermm

brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

I hear she has been in Scone Vet Hospital with colic ??    Kept that very quiet ??

So, no foal to Snitzel.

(If one of you clever people can post the announcement made today.)

I’m a fan of not breeding mares every year, but it’s starting to sound like she’s a tricky one.

Keen to hear what others here think.

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 11:16pm
Better get to Snitzel while they can.  He would be getting close to retirement wouldnt he ??
animals before people.
Take2 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Take2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 6:53pm
the fact that Winx going to Snitzel this Year is a positive, at least from my perspective, and Danehill in general  (surprise surprise) makes her pedigree really sing
as having the readies to spend wherever on a Stallion, shouldn't be a problem,  so , internationally, Siyouni, looks a good match fror Her and brings Danehill along with Him, as does Kodiac, a Son of Danehill, and many others
The cross Snitzel/Street Cry is already successful here
Lets hope they don't butcher her pedigree like they have with Black Caviar and MD

Edited by Take2 - 04 Nov 2022 at 6:54pm
change is simply a destination on a journey reached by taking the first step (i said that) lol

www.3rdmillenniumbloodstock.com.au
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2022 at 2:23pm
Both Winx & her Pierro filly are doing really well after 3wks. The Tighe, Kepitis and Treweeke families are looking forward to seeing Winx continue her breeding journey. This year - she will visit Snitzel at Arrowfield.

furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 9:36am
Wouldn't you AA.  They would have so much media at the clinic that would of upset the treatment of all the animals there.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 9:03pm
I hear she has been in Scone Vet Hospital with colic ??    Kept that very quiet ??
animals before people.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2022 at 8:34am
Racing.com have just posted she has delivered a filly Thanks Shawy & great news so far Thumbs Up

Mighty Winx becomes ‘super mum' for the first time

The mighty mare gave birth to a healthy filly foal by Pierro overnight in the Hunter Valley.

Owners Peter Tighe and Debbie Kepitis confirmed the news on Saturday morning that Winx had delivered her filly foal.

"Both Mum and foal are healthy and doing very well,'' the statement read.

"Thank you to the amazing team who have cared for Winx and her filly throughout this journey.

"We wish Winx all the best as she starts this new chapter as a ‘Super Mum'.''

Winx has been retired from racing for more than three years but she is still revered by race fans around the world.

Trained by Chris Waller, Winx ran her final race in the 2019 Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Royal Randwick, scoring her 33rd win in succession including a world record 25 at Group 1 level. She earned more than $26.4 million prizemoney, also a world record.

Winx won the Group 1 Caulfield (now Might And Power) Stakes on this day six years ago.

Winx tragically lost her first foal by I Am Invincible in 2020.

She was not served again that year and instead given the time necessary to recover from her ordeal.

The mare's ownership group then announced Winx would be served by Pierro last spring and their filly foal was born overnight.

Pierro is the best son of champion sire Lonhro and has an emerging nick with Winx's sire Street Cry with the likes of Group 1 Blue Diamond winner Lyre and The Everest placegetter Osborne Bulls which is another compelling reason for Winx's owners selecting the stallion for their mare.

Edited by Gay3 - 08 Oct 2022 at 10:46am
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:32am
Theoretically 18 days "over" apparently.  Let's hope all goes ok.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2022 at 11:22am
Should Winx have foaled by now?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 2:45pm
I love to watch the Savabeels also (but I like to see the Todman/Noholme connection into the mare).  Easy for him to find the todman blood in mares with Centaine and Imposing in NZ.

Lonhro is more of the fine type of build like Winx.  While I am Imposing is a bulkier build.  Maybe they were looking to bulk up the resulting progeny?  I don't pretend to read peoples minds.  Both pedigrees read well on paper.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 1:54pm
KM, I'm a big fan of the savabeels and didn't even think of the cross of Zabeel/Success Express. 

I love your argument regarding the outrunning speed or stamina in pedigrees. Well put.

I think I'd still go with Lonhro over a mile as having more acceleration and speed. And I'd probably go for him at5 2000m as well. Shame we didn't see Pierro for another 12-18 months as we would have all had a better idea of how they compared.

Prejudice is an emotional attachment to ignorance.
DiEM25 for the world.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 7:51am
I'm surprised that Winx's crew didn't go to Lonhro straight away, instead of sending her to IAI.  By then, Lyre had won the Blue Diamond and Osmond Bulls was earning far more money as a bridesmaid to Gr-1 horses than most of us will make in a year.  Plus there's this obscure little horse bouncing around the central Waikato who's bred on a very similar cross.  I'm trying to remember his name...what is it...oh yeah, Savabeel, that guy who only won a Cox plate and has been champion sire in NZ since his dear old dad retired.  

Re: acceleration, I would argue that Lonhro had the stamina to outrun the speed in his pedigree (Eight Carat, Straight Strike), whereas Pierro had the speed to outrun the stamina in his pedigree (Zabeel, his entire female family).  A very speedy horse can usually accelerate better than a longer-winded type who has a very high cruising speed.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 3:57pm
Agree km. But just on your last paragraph, what I would have been even more excited about would have been a visit to lonhro in his prime as he had such a long career like Winx. That is something we aren't entirely sure about whether pierro would have copied with a longer career. 

Also I do rate lonhro as a better horse than pierro, as far as acceleration goes anyway.
DiEM25 for the world.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2021 at 8:55am
Interestingly, Street Cry's two best daughters Winx and Zenyatta both have a line to the quality mare Mrs. Peterkin, by Tom Fool.

Among the rest of Street Cry's best runners, a few names keep popping up over and over -- notably Roberto, Never Bend, and Delta Judge.  Delta Judge is a grandson of Delta Queen (Bull Lea / Bleebok, by Blue Larkspur), who is a sister to Roberto's 2nd dam Rarelea.  Bloodroot, dam of Lalun and 2nd dam of Never Bend, is out of a daughter of Blue Larkspur and her sire is a close relation. 

Machiavellian, sire of Street Cry and rather different from either Mr Prospector's other sons or the rest of the Almahmoud clan, is out of a mare by Halo who has two crosses to Blue Larkspur via Banish Fear and Blue Swords.  Helen Street, his dam, is out of a mare by Riverman who has more Blue Larkspur via Banish Fear again and Bloodroot.  Riverman's dam Nile Lily is a genetic sibling to Roman, sire of Hail to Reason's 2nd dam.  Although Street Cry is free of Tom Fool, Tom Fool's dam Gaga is herself a genetic sibling to Roman and his sire Menow is one of the best packaged sources of Domino available.

So, about Winx....her broodmare sire Al Akbar is by Success Express, who brings in two crosses to Blue Larkspur via Banish Fear and Blue Grail and a line to Tom Fool via Silly Season.  Al Akbar' dam's sire Dancing Champ brings in more Blue Larkspur via Nijinsky and two crosses to Tom Fool.  His 3rd dam is by the obscure Hook Money, who is out of a genetic sibling to Blue Larkspur.  

For Octagonal, Lonhro, and Pierro...Zabeel has Sir Ivor, a source of Alcibiades that does well with lots of Tom Fool, and Eight Carat's grandsire Relic is out of a mare who is a 3/4 sister to Blue Larkspur (this loads up on Domino/Mannie Gray, by the way, I've discussed that elsewhere).  Lonhro and Street Cry is an emerging nick -- unsurprising given the above.  Pierro brings in all of that and is just loaded with Bloodroot, has Hail to Reason through Roberto and Bold Reason, has more Blue Larkspur and Tom Fool via Buckpasser, and bonus Caro (who carries Relic) via Daylami.

Long story short -- pedigree-wise, there's a lot to like.  Performance-wise, this is a pair of very tough, sound racehorses and that's always a good sign.  Hopefully they get a healthy mare and healthy foal this time around.
kavg View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kavg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:29pm
Also a lot of 9c family in Winx especially via Street cry, which will hopefully mix well with Eight Carat.
DiEM25 for the world.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:36pm
I'm with you Tlaz, with wonderful depth & balance in the 6/7 & 8 gens, particularly liking his 4 x Lalun adding to her own instance Thumbs Up
Click image then Zoom

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:01pm
Now I'm no expert but I like the sound of Pierro/Winx much much more than sending her to one of those 5-6f horses that dominate the sires list. Pierro/Winx could be anything - QE, Cox, Doncaster, Arc, whatever. An I am Invincible doesn't have that type of possibility.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:30pm
The old girl looks a treat, hopefully she has a smooth pregnancy 
GAJ View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GAJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:24pm
I am pleased she had the time off, shame it wasn't given to her after she raced to let her body get back to normal.
I saw her picture the other day and she looks beautiful.
I hope she has good pregnancy this time and sure her foal will be a stunner with this mating.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 2:12pm
The Winx Ownership Group are pleased to announce that Winx will be visiting Pierro for this years 2021 breeding season.
Winx has been given a full year to recover from her ordeal and we are pleased to report that the mare has returned in great condition. She has been enjoying life on the farm with some friends while she is preparing to go back to the breeding barn this Spring.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:16am
Haha true.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:07am
LOL^^  LOL     She didnt really look mannish tho, unlike Nellie and Sunline.  They could have passed for the Caster of the horse world.   Winx looked like a lady should.
Cant say the same about Caster .Cry

animals before people.
SkyDancer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkyDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:54pm
The Caster Semenya of horse racing
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:47pm
Irregularity?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>