Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

The "The" Family - The Chosen One

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:01pm
Not sure if this has come up before but there is another TCO racing here. Trained by Damien Lane.

How is this possible they have the same name while still racing? 
Keyboard Warrior
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:10pm
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:23pm
Our data bases have horses from all over the world in them.  Overseas you even get the double named running in the same country.  One from France one from Italy etc.  Above NZ, AUS and France.  Alot of the NZ's have to have names altered for that reason when coming to run in Australia.  We don't allow the same names to run here.  Even if they have different suffixes.
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:26pm
So next time he pops over the ditch it's Our Chosen One.
Keyboard Warrior
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:27pm
something like that
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:28pm
although to be fair he's the older one so they should change the Aus name.  Don't know if that is the way it works - probably not - but a pity as he's the stakes horse not the other one.
Muss View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:38pm
Absolutely and the owners of the Choisir gelding would have known full well they were copying the name of a well performed horse that was still racing. 

Surely they could have come up with something else. It's weak.
Keyboard Warrior
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 12:56pm
Well to be fair he's only a year younger and not everyone pays attention to a young horse in NZ.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 1:47pm
The Chosen One (Aus) has been racing for 2 years, I don't think it is an issue unless they are in the same race which is extremely unlikely.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Rhino View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rhino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 1:50pm
Would like to see that Shawy, I might finally back a winner Ouch
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 4:15pm
TCO finished powerfully in the G1 NZ Stakes today for 3rd.

I wonder if he’ll come over for the Sydney autumn again?  

Personally, I’d aim at Hollindale-DoombenCup-Q22 treble over the winter.  The Kiwis used to dominate the Qld winter in the 80’s & 90’s and I think TCO would be really well placed in those races. 

Not sure if he’s already got a stud deal lined up, but with the super pedigree he has I’m sure he’d do ok

VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 5:15pm
I backed him Lord, but I was worried he was looking for the longer journey today.

I can see no reason why he would not run well in the Tancred, but you might be right with Brisbane the target.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2022 at 5:18pm
Andrew Bensley reporting Sydney Cup is his target.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2022 at 10:59pm
I have missed whether this fellow is hunting a Sydney Cup start.

Surely his WFA form this prep gives him a hope if the track is not heavy.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
kiwi88 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwi88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2022 at 12:51pm

The Chosen One has previously run second in the Sydney Cup in 2020 and sixth 12 months ago and his Tancred performance showed he was in grand form for another crack.

“It was a pleasing day and The Chosen One was unlucky, he wouldn’t have beaten the winner but he did get held up,” Baker said.

“He wouldn’t beat that mare (Duais) at the weights if she runs in the Cup, she might yet run in the Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Gr.1, 2000m), but he is a very honest horse.

https://loveracing.nz/News/36258/Kiwisreturnstrongdressrehearsals.aspx ;

Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 3:40am
With The Chosen One going around in the Doomben Cup as possibly his last start, thought it was worth bumping this thread.

Earlier on his close relative The Fearless One has his Aussie debut in R2.  His sire The Bold One (The Chosen One's uncle) has been putting together a very good record in NZ from small books of less glamorous mares.  Both his recent debut winners One Bold Cat and Mary Louise were very impressive.

Given the two most famous of the family (the two Phantoms) were both geldings it's nice to see one stallion already having success and The Chosen One off to stud someone in NZ next season.

Recent article-

Exciting times for The Bold One

Media Release - Tuesday May 17

Grangewilliam Stud stallion The Bold One has been enjoying a purple patch of form with his progeny and his fee has been adjusted accordingly for this coming breeding season.

The Fearless One is an exciting prospect for Grangewilliam Stud sire The Bold One. Photo: Kenton Wright (Race Images)

A son of Fastnet Rock, The Bold One is one of four black-type horses out of the multiple Group One winning O’Reilly mare The Jewel.

“He had a pretty good week – he had a nice first-up winner (One Bold Cat) at Wanganui on Thursday and then another first-up winner (Mary Louise) on Saturday at Hawera where he had another winner in Bold Mac,” Grangewilliam Stud principal Mark Corcoran said.

“He has also got The Fearless One who (trainer) Robbie Patterson has taken over to Queensland.

“He is a pretty promising horse and Robbie has got a big opinion of him and hopes to get him to the Brisbane Cup (Gr.2, 3200m).”

Corcoran has been rapt with the results The Bold One has been getting on the track with limited opportunities.

“He has been standing for a fee of $2,000, so he hasn’t had the best quality of mare, but his pedigree is starting to come to the fore,” he said.

“He is from one of the best families in New Zealand. He is a very well-bred horse and the results he is starting to get is quite promising.

“The season before last, when people were waiting for them, he only served a handful of mares.

“On what those early few are doing, he jumped up to just under 50 last year.

“He has received a lot of early interest this year and we have just decided to bump his service fee up to $4,000+GST, which I think is still great value.

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 7:49pm
I think there was enough merit in todays run for TCO to press onto the Q22.

His relation The Fearless One was very good in the Premiers Cup.  Lightly raced 4yo looks very promising.

Btw, Racing Carrot……first post for ages.  Hope you plan on more regular contributions to TBV, especially spotting Kiwi raiders.
Racing Carrot View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Racing Carrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 10:28am
Ha I probably saved you some money by not posting as my raider to follow was Nom De Plume which was a bit of a disaster as big loss first run and didn't back her the second on synthetic.  She didn't have much go right on Saturday but wasn't exactly sounding home either.

Pinarello has always been smart but enough issues along the way I was a bit too wary of getting involved in futures.

Backed Chakana today back to a wet turf surface which she seemed to appreciate in NZ.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12