Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Buy and Sell
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Pins/Centaine/Sir T Mare - Free

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pins/Centaine/Sir T Mare - Free
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:24pm
I doubt she'll last long but posting just in case anyone's keen & quick enough. Maiden based in Taree.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:28pm
My Tricia/Gay Poss is her bottom line.

Sarah Gray‎ to Thoroughbred GateKeeper
3 hrs ·

Needing to find a home for my beloved mare due to moving.
Prefer breeding, companion or hack home, NOT interested in dealers, performance homes
NOT suitable for your teenager and never will be
NOT suitable for pony club and never will be
In saying this she is sound, extremely pretty and affectionate, an angel to catch, shoe, float, etc
She's in paddock condition & loving it due to my traveling for most of the last 12 months, in saying this, I rode her bareback to the dam for a swim a few weeks ago however she is NOT a quiet, beginners or even intermediate horse unless you want a pretty, loving, lawnmowing paddock friend.
Free to the right forever home

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:37pm
Honest appraisal re attitude from the vendors.

Siblings have sold for very good money, not so her for whatever reason.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
Sarah Gray She had a tricky start to life which has left her with some issues, hence why I will not sell her to a riding home. I won't be responsible for someone getting killed after riding her for months and she's been perfect.
I've been retraining for 20 years, please don't be interested if you think you can 'fix her'
I've owned her since she was rising 4

*correction maybe rising 3
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
In case this is of interest to any who missed my post y/day Big smile
Ringlock View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 2:05pm
Did you find a home for her?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2019 at 3:11pm
I've asked but not sure she'll see the tag after 14 weeks! Are you interested or just idle curiosity?
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
Horse called It's Pins with Pins and Centaine lineage came third at Warrnambool today. Hello to everyone from a horse racing neophyte, perpetual babe in the woods, not knowing head from tail but loving a bet. Did the dam side have a Melbourne Cup winner, 'Rain-something'?

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 12:34pm
Hi Neophyte, and welcome.

That was a good pick-up re It's Pins.  Both Centaine and Pins stood at Waikato Stud, so a good number of Centaine mares were served by Pins, often with considerable success.

I'm not sure that the direct female line produced a Melbourne Cup winner, but happy to stand corrected.

Winners with Rain in the name would include Rainbird and Rain Lover.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 12:58pm
The Gay Poss family is that of Lonhro.  I think your thinking of the Rainbird family which is a totally different one Neophyte.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 1:00pm
Pity someone didn't give her a go.  Bred to be a good broodmare.
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 3:44pm

Another Pins horse is running today at Bendigo. Does It (R7N12) is a descendant of Melbourne Cup winner Gunsynd. Trained by Patrick Payne.

Another descendant of 1945 Melbourne Cup winner Rainbird is 2020 Cup hopeful High Emocean. High Emocean descends from Hebrew Maid.

Two carrying the Hebrew Maid lineage are running at Bendigo today: Generation Gap (R6N3) and Does It (R7N12) both trained by Patrick Payne.

Elegist (R9N6) trained by Henry Dwyer at Ballarat is related to Miner’s Miss. Whatever happened to Miner’s Miss? In another stride she’d have taken out the Oaks no less, at eye PoPping odds.

Three legs and nothing much popping up eye-level for the missing leg except There You Are (R8N7) from South Africa. How’d he escape?

So there you are, that just about does it. 3-12-7-6. An elegiac quaddie reaching across the generation gap from a born and bred Ballaratite.

But will Generation Gap and Elegist handle the heavy? Might have to stick with The Pres and Scantoon in the first leg, and go Beauty Betty, Winning Red, Deploys Alone in the last…

neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 3:45pm
whoops...sorry about wrong font size!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:00pm
With respect I don't believe that High Emocean, Generation Gap or Does It descend from Hebrew Maid.

Elegist is certainly from the same family as Miner's Miss, who's either in the paddock, having a freshen, or bound for stud having last raced two months ago.

Cheers.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:37pm
High Emocean is one in my comp for that year.  Was a lovely yearling and about the only one from recent years with any form.  But she doesn't decend from Hebrew Maid (which is a female line I love).  She is part of the much more stout Eulogy family.  Her sire Ocean Park is from the Hebrew Maid female line.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 7:56pm
Aha, thanks Furious.
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:42am
Generation Gap's mother's by Oreilly, the sire of Does It's grand dam. Didn't Oreilly hook up with a daughter of Emancipation, whose granddad was Gunsynd?

Could you please show this neophyte which of High Emocean's great great grandparents descends from Eulogy?

Sorry if the terminology is not quite right, I'm just a neophyte seeking to learn and certainly not teach. For 'nemo dat non quod habet' as they say.

Just one last small question, Columbo, if I may. About that horse called Arctic Explorer in High Emocean's lineage, could someone please tell this old punter if there might have been some Arctic Explorer offspring trained in the Ballarat area or maybe around the Murray River area. Punter will tell you later why he is asking.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:51am
Eulogy is the tail end female (female imported to Australia or nz). So High Emocean himself decendants from Eulogy.  
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
Angels One Five has two progeny of the mare Humour. Is it called the Rasmussen phenomenon or something like that? One of the two Humours in Angels is Marceau, which went on to serve My Tricia, funnily enough another mare that sometimes pops up twice. An article about occurrences of Rasmussen mentioned Mecir and Messene two Lonrho geldings with this borderline humour factor in the two-timing female. Rasmussen proposed it was a winner and a good thing. 
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 11:40pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:25pm
Thanks Neophyte.

neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:13am
Nonconformist is of the family of Eulogy (tail female). So he has four or more lines of Spearmint. Another line of Spearmint is in his 5th generational line through Gay Juss, half-sister to Gay Poss in Angel One Five's 5th generation. He has lots of female crosses if you look far enough up the tree: including Plucky Liege, Lavendula, Double Life, Almahmoud, Selene, Boola Brook, Alcibiades, La Troienne, Cereto, Nogara, the Spearmint descendant. If someone has a subscriber's access to the database, could they be ranked in terms of proximity?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:46pm
With respect neophyte Spearmint is in every pedigree out there though his daughters Catnip and Plucky Liege.  They cover so many greats that they have filtered through to most pedigrees by the 1970's.  I'd feel safe saying their is not a pedigree without Spearmint in it now.  The three great exports Carbine, Trenton and Darebin have the worlds throughbred totally covered.
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:47pm
Thanks, Furious, poor old Neo is starting to get the picture. Better late than never. Looking at Brew's lineage found umpteen Spearmints and Trentons. Interestingly, ten (10) lines of The Tetrarch. According to the Flemington dotcom Brew was the best bred Cup winner since WW2. Would there be consensus and accord on that? He won the Saab Quality aka the Lexus on the Saturday. So the two day back-up evidently not a problem for a very fit horse. Wouldn't Bart Cummings concur?
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 3:18pm
Brew was not as good a horse as his dam Horlicks.  He won the cup on minimum weight and beat to other fairly lightly weighted horses.  That said he was bred with staying races in mind being by Sir Tristram.  Horlicks was a grea mare winning the Mackinnon and Japan Cup and another four G1's in NZ.  But at stud only produced 2 stakes winners of 4 races.

So I think Gurner's Lane was even a better bred son of Sir Tristram to win the cup.  He carried 56 but did beat a top weighted Kingston Town (59) to the post (bad boy I was most unhappy).  Gurner's Lane was out of Taiona the dam of Sovereign Red (WA Australian Derby, VRC Derby, Caulfield Guineas, Underwood S etc & 2nd to Kingston in one of his W S Cox Plates).  She was a blue hen with three G1 winners and progeny who won 18 stakes races.

Or there was Kingston Rule son of Secretariat from VRC Oaks, AJC Derby winning mare Rose of Kingston.  You can't find much better than that.  She decended from the imported mare Levity who produced Don Jan also the winner of the Melbourne Cup.

You know how we all talk about Subzero as a weaker Cups winner.  He carried more than all but Gurner's Lane and was from a dam who also produced two other stakes winners (not in his class).  This is an imported USA line who decend from a winner of the Santa Anita Derby.  That's probably better than lots of Melbourne Cup winners pedigrees.

neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm
And yet Gurner's Lane's female side did not win anything: Taiona, Vickyjoy, False Credit, Hautere, Hauteur, Egotism. And not many of their sires either. Patience makes perfect.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm
Families can hit a purple patch sometime.  And Taiona was  only a minor city placed winner but she produced 9 winners including two G1 multiple winners.  If you look at her grandam you find she is by Sabaean a grandson of Selene.  Then Taiona went to Sir Tristram and four outstanding stakes winners later....  When you consider that the next dam is by Le Filou (same family as Zabeel) and you can get the picture.  Sir Tristram just loved that blood and here was a mare with it all!
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 3:24am
Might sound like a tire kicker kind of question, Furious, but actually reasonably sincere enquiry.
How would you look upon a mare with sirelines including Danehill, Sir Tristram, Estaminet, Nashua, Noholme, Grey Sovereign, Arctic Explorer?
neophyte View Drop Down
Weanling
Weanling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neophyte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 5:46am
Pins wins in Night Raid on the Atlantic Jewel ... 2 out of 3 now ... further the better perhaps ... being a descendant of At Talaq, Gunsynd and Bletchingly. Does she have other claims to staying fame? Is Night Raid in her ancestry as the name suggests?
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by furious furious wrote:

Families can hit a purple patch sometime.  And Taiona was  only a minor city placed winner but she produced 9 winners including two G1 multiple winners.  If you look at her grandam you find she is by Sabaean a grandson of Selene.  Then Taiona went to Sir Tristram and four outstanding stakes winners later....  When you consider that the next dam is by Le Filou (same family as Zabeel) and you can get the picture.  Sir Tristram just loved that blood and here was a mare with it all!
Pretty sure top racehorse Rajah Sahib was out of a Sabaean mare called Gay Princess , deceased cauldfield trainer Basil Conaghan had a couple of good ones by him too, fwiw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>