Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Surprise Baby

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:01pm
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:02am
The owner has been having success with an up and coming trainer based in Wangaratta...... maybe?
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:06am
In fact Mr. Fiteni has at least 9 horses in that stable at present

Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:33am
Ben Brisbourne maybe?
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 10:48am
My thoughts too SC, he appears to be very capable & possibly an Irish accent.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:08am
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 11:10am

Trainer to watch: Ben Brisbourne 

By James Lamb 
Glencoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Glencoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 12:27pm
Very old story . Long since moved on from. Has his own place at Wangaratta

p.s. I think Arrowsmith might now have an association with Chris Calthorpe.  Their industies are complimentary
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 7:50pm

Move considered for injured Baby

Racing Article

Ryan Reynolds & Andrew Eddy@Reynolds_R & @fastisheddy

9:15am

, (

Surprise Baby may be on the move, but no decision has been made on where the injured stayer could be going.

The rising seven-year-old, who is currently sidelined with a hock injury, is listed on Racing Australia as being "transferred" and his co-owner John Fiteni said that a trainer had not been appointed for when the horse is ready to resume training.

"He’s still in rehab," Fiteni said of his gelding. "No decision has been made on any of that.

"He is still four months away even before I even think about putting him to work. It’s a long way off.

"It’s a slow process. Like I said to the vets at Ballarat. I don’t want to put a time on it, I don’t want to do anything.

"I just want them to tell me when he’s right."

Surprise Baby has not run since his 13th placing in last spring’s Melbourne Cup when one of the favourites. He had raced 14 times for Horsham trainer Paul Preusker with earnings of just under $1 million.

He was famously purchased by Fiteni via an on-line auction for just $5500.

Fiteni and his partner Kathy Stewart have a number of horses in work across a few stables. Nine of those to carry the colours of silver, black checked sash, cerise sleeves and star cap are currently trained by Ben Brisbourne at Wangaratta.

Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:37pm
The horse has had just 14 starts, of which just 4 have been since he won the 19 Bart Cummings and yet have still generated $275k in prize money, yet the owners want to change trainers? Sounds to me like they're blaming the trainer for them throwing the eggs in 1 basket.
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:23pm
Fiteni-Stewart seem to use a few different trainers, I can think of 3 off the top of my head but there may be others.

Ben Brisbourne, a young trainer at Wangaratta.

Simone Ferchie, who was George Hanlons assistant trainer & still trains from the great mans old property at Leopold.

John Blacker, in Tassie for the ones that aren’t up to Vic races.

But worth noting that they last week transfer one of their horses (Minola) from Paul Pruesker to Gavin Beddgood at Cranbourne.  So I wonder if Gavin is in the mix to get Surprise Baby?
TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 10:06pm
I hear it's down to 2 trainers. I won't say as I'm not sure a decision has been made yet but that's what I hear. 
Time is a flat circle
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:49pm
They have had a few with Gerald Egan at Mansfield in the past as well.
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 3:42pm
If they are going to take him away from Paul at all, i think they should give him to a big name trainer - eg Maher or Waller. Pointless removing him from Paul to give to another small trainer. IMHO.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by mikey mikey wrote:

If they are going to take him away from Paul at all, i think they should give him to a big name trainer - eg Maher or Waller. Pointless removing him from Paul to give to another small trainer. IMHO.

Completely agree - I thought Waller or Maher would be the obvious choices. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:17pm
Just because a trainer is "small" does not mean they can not train.

Waller is a average trainer of stayers. 

Clayton Douglas is my trainer of choice at the moment. 

Edited by djebel - 17 May 2021 at 5:17pm
reductio ad absurdum
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:55pm
Danny O'Brien is probably one of the better trainer of stayers in Australia currently.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 7:15pm
Interestingly most of the suggested trainers are out of town. and I'm with Jamal or at least a trainer similar to O'Brien.

Horse almost certainly needs to be trained away from the hurly burly, enjoy decent day yards, have access to the beach. All achievable at his large Barwon Heads private training site.

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Foxseal Foxseal wrote:

But worth noting that they last week transfer one of their horses (Minola) from Paul Pruesker to Gavin Beddgood at Cranbourne.  So I wonder if Gavin is in the mix to get Surprise Baby?

Beddgood by name, bed good by nature? LOL
Foxseal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Foxseal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 10:51am
Glencoe on the Melb Cup thread was very observant in noting that Surprise Baby is missing from noms for the 2021 Spring Cups.

Given he’s been one of the Melb Cup favourites the past 2 years, you’d think there would be some report about this.

Hope the horse is healthy & recovered (or recovering) from his injury problem.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 9:00pm
Talk about a poorly managed career, had just 4 starts since the Bart Cummings win, and 8 since the Adelaide Cup win, two of which were in Melbourne Cups, bypassing races like the Tancred, Sydney and Brisbane Cups, throwing all the eggs in the one basket and all that rings bells here.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2021 at 9:51pm
reading between the lines Paul thought the same, was the owners decision.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm

Surprise Baby gets green light for comeback

Last year’s Melbourne Cup favourite Surprise Baby has been given the all-clear by vets to resume his racing career.

The seven-year-gelding has been sidelined since February with a hock injury and missed the autumn carnival after he was nominated for the All-Star Mile.

Surprise Baby passed a scintigraphy on Tuesday before arriving at the Cranbourne stables of new trainer Gavin Bedggood on Wednesday.

X-rays taken eight weeks ago showed the injury had healed and Surprise Baby has since been working on the water walker and treadmill under the care of Ballarat trainer Melody Cunningham and husband Steve, with Bedggood making weekly visits to check on him.

While a third Melbourne Cup attempt won’t happen this year, an appearance during the spring hasn’t been ruled out if Surprise Baby continues to make good progress with the Cranbourne Cup (1600m) on November 13 and the Group 3 Kevin Heffernan Stakes (1400m) at Caulfield on November 27 possible options.

“Cup Week at Flemington is probably going to come around too soon, we’ll just play it as it comes, we’ll see how fit he is,” Bedggood said.

“He’s done that water walking and treadmill work. He’s quite a clean-winded horse, he’s lightly raced and ran in two Melbourne Cups, we’ll just make sure he’s nice and sound.

“Where his rating’s at, he’s weighted out of handicap races so there’s not a lot of options for him.

“There’s the Cranbourne Cup this year or the Kevin Heffernan Stakes. They’ve moved that meeting from Sandown to Caulfield this year and it’s pushed back to the last week of November.

“But there’s obviously plenty of water to go under the bridge before we even consider anything like that.

“If it looks like he needs time, he’ll get that time and we’ll get him ready for the autumn. We’ll take it as it comes. The horse’s welfare has always been put first.”

Surprise Baby has not raced since his 13th placing in the Melbourne Cup last spring. He finished fifth in the 2019 Melbourne Cup on the back of winning The Bart Cummings.

Bedggood said it was exciting to have a galloper of Surprise Baby’s ability in his stable.

“I’ve only been training a short time and we’ve had a fair bit of success in the last six months with the numbers we’ve got,” he said.

“To get a horse of his caliber, that’s a massive coup for us.

“It a hard act to follow, Paul Preusker has done a great job with him and his record speaks for itself but we’re looking forward to the challenge.

“It’s not every day you get an opportunity with a horse like him.”

Bedggood said only the horse and time would tell if another Melbourne Cup tilt next year was possible.

“That’s something I haven’t thought about yet,” he said.

“It will be a matter of keeping him fit, keeping him sound and we’ll go from there.

“If we get a run into him this preparation, great, if we don’t, it’s not meant to be.”

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:06pm
1600m or 1300m in November?

Am quite surprised baby.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2021 at 9:28pm
If he is sound can we get a similar prep to his 2019 one?

I suppose not, but through Adelaide and into the Andrew Ramsden looks a good long term goal, as I said if he is sound enough.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
mikey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 9:09am
No disrespect to Gavin Bedggood - i have never even heard of the guy.....but seriously?

Why would you even bother taking him away from Paul Preusker UNLESS you were going to Maher or Waller?

Enough said, i will bite my lip.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 10:58am
Nothing wrong with the choice of trainer, anyone who follows racing closely knows he’s one of the most promising young trainers in Victoria.

Voyager, I can guarantee 100% he won’t be going to an Andrew Ramsden Stks…..which is restricted to 3,4,5 year olds only.

But I don’t mind your thoughts on the Adelaide Cup (maybe via the Roy Higgins Qlty) & if he comes through those assignments go for the Sydney Cup & Brisbane Cup too.
anabel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anabel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:39pm

No disrespect to Gavin Bedggood - i have never even heard of the guy.....but seriously?

Why would you even bother taking him away from Paul Preusker UNLESS you were going to Maher or Waller?

Absolutely agree, promising trainer but you’ve got one last shot at a Melbourne Cup with this horse (next year). Send him to someone who has the experience and runs on the board…
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 2:47pm
Like one of the factories annabel? Confused
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by anabel anabel wrote:

Absolutely agree, promising trainer but you’ve got one last shot at a Melbourne Cup with this horse (next year). Send him to someone who has the experience and runs on the board…

Which Aussie trainer would that be ? 
reductio ad absurdum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112>