Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Dalasan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dalasan
    Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What might he have achieved if a trainer from the UK ranked about 30th over there had him.

LOL LOL
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
Much maligned but I would one day love to own one like him. 

Took his owners on a great ride just falling short at group 1 level.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:39pm
What might he have achieved if a trainer from the UK ranked about 30th over there had him.

Edited by djebel - 18 Mar 2023 at 2:40pm
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2023 at 2:33pm
Just heard Leon on TV, Dalasan has been retired.
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
Red Rancher View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Rancher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 6:18pm
I keep on getting sucked in based on his past form an unrealised potential. That's it for me. He's no longer the promising horse that he was. I hope I am proven wrong. 
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2023 at 5:19pm
Nearly 6 months since the last post on this forum favourite LOL

He’s in a winnable race tomorrow on home turf in the CS Hayes Memorial Cup 1600m.

A couple of handy ones in the race but none with the resume of Dalasan.  The days of G1 mile races are probably behind him, but races like tomorrow & perhaps the Easter Cup 2100m next month should still be in his scope.
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

You do know how handicapping works don't you Jamal?

Yeah, he got 58kg based on his rating, I guess the old school mind i have at times says he shouldn't have got 58kg but it is what it is.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 10:02pm
You do know how handicapping works don't you Jamal?
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 9:57pm
Not sure why he was top weight with 58kg. He hasn't won a decent race in a while. 
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 8:53pm
You could say that about I Am Superman and Laws Of Indices to SC.

That is why I sick and tired of heavy tracks. The form is up and down. You are right in that Dalasan has been less effective on wet tracks but it seems every horse has a big run in conditions that do not suit.

I heard that the owners are so confused with I Am Supermans form that they are sending him back to Ireland to continue to race.
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 4:49pm
And produces yet another typically worthy performance to run 6th beaten less than 2 lengths on a surface he's never enjoyed.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 12:46pm
Dalasan will be top weight for the Sir Rupert Clarke on Satdy.

Not bad for an ordinary horse.

Does not say a great deal about the race though either that 106 is the top weight. There is a 108 filly in the race.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 3:54pm
Thanks Gay.  ps some of us have a good eye.  Wink

Dalasan
Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:10pm

Suspect there may be a protest against Dalasan. If so his connections should throw in a "dependent upon" protest against the second place-getter who earlier on in the race interfered with the winner on no less than three occasions in the run imo.

Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Dalasan bound for Melbourne

Off the track, Dalasan and his connections then had to survive a protest from Melissa Julius, who rode the runner up, Victorian visitor Just Folk.  That protest was ultimately dismissed, as Macdonald expected.  “There wasn’t much in it,” he said.

“As soon as I saw the film, I didn’t think there was much in it at all and he did also get interference from the second horse at about the 150-metre mark, it took his running, so there was probably going to be a counter protest if it was upheld, but when I saw it, I didn’t think that they would.”  

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 3:06pm

Dalasan bound for Melbourne

Grand campaigner Dalasan is bound for Melbourne after breaking a run of outs on Saturday when he saluted in the race named after his co-trainer, the Listed Leon Macdonald Stakes.

It was Dalasan’s first win since the 2020 G3 Chairman’s Stakes (2035m) at Morphettville, however, he has been placed four times at Group 1 level in Adelaide and Sydney since that victory.

“It was a big thrill,” Macdonald replied when asked about winning the race named in his honour.

“It was a bit strange really, but anyway, it was great.”

The renowned South Australian horseman was quick to play down his own role in getting Dalasan back to the winner’s circle after so many gallant but winless performances over the last two years.

“I don’t think we’ve done anything special,” Macdonald said, who trains Dalasan in partnership with Andrew Gluyas.

“He’s always been around the place; he hadn’t won for 800 days or something, but he’d won a lot of stake money in that time. The last run he had in the R.A. Lee Stakes at Morphettville, he did get galloped on badly, which didn’t help him, but he got over that.

“He’s been a great horse, really.”

Dalasan had to work hard for his eighth career victory.

On the track, the six-year-old was forced to sit three wide throughout the race after drawing the outside barrier, with Jason Holder in the saddle.

“That was always probably going to happen on that tight turning track, but anyway, he got away with it and he was strong on the line,” Macdonald said.

Off the track, Dalasan and his connections then had to survive a protest from Melissa Julius, who rode the runner up, Victorian visitor Just Folk.

That protest was ultimately dismissed, as Macdonald expected.

“There wasn’t much in it,” he said.

“As soon as I saw the film, I didn’t think there was much in it at all and he did also get interference from the second horse at about the 150-metre mark, it took his running, so there was probably going to be a counter protest if it was upheld, but when I saw it, I didn’t think that they would.”

Macdonald hasn’t picked out a specific race in Melbourne for Dalasan’s next start, where he’s previously won races like the Danehill Stakes (1200m) and Carbine Club Stakes (1600m), while he contested last year’s Cox Plate (2040m) and Mackinnon Stakes (2000m) at his last visit across the Victorian border.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2022 at 6:32am
If he were mine, I'd consider the Hill Stakes-Craven Plate-Rosehill Gold Cup treble that Think it Over completed last season, with the top liners more likely to target the Melbourne 2000m Group 1s over that period any or all of these could be winnable for Dalasan.
Docker View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Docker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2022 at 10:07am
There are also a few good races suitable for Dalasan in WA but carnival may be too far away at this stage.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 10:12pm
What are the eligibility rules for "The Gong" ?
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 9:56pm
Just a question.

If Leon is not aiming him at the top level races in Melbourne, which is fair enough, then why not aim at the big money races in NSW.

I would think the The Gong and others would suit him ideally, he would eat Kembla's big wide straight for lunch.

But each to their own!
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 9:47pm

Dalasan snaps drought after protest relief

It was a drama-filled Leon Macdonald Stakes as Dalasan survived a protest to snap a 28-month winless streak and deliver his Hall of Fame trainer an emotional victory in the race named in his honour.

Dalasan, who boasts 10 top-five Group 1 finishes without winning one, hadn’t tasted success since the Group 3 Chairman’s Stakes in April 2020 but he showed there is still some fight in those six-year-old legs, grinding away in the straight to take out the Listed race first-up.

The finish was a messy one as Jason Holder and Dalasan crept in from the outside late, crowding the runner-up Just Folks, at the same time as Barend Vorster and Oh Mo drifted out from the inside, which saw Next Generation (Jake Toeroek) and Zoulah (Kayla Crowther) get badly chopped out.

Melissa Julius, who was on Just Folks, fired in a protest alleging interference in the closing stages, but that was quickly dismissed by stewards.

Leon Macdonald has won the Leon Macdonald Stakes! 😍

Dalasan is BACK! @RacingSApic.twitter.com/65k7gHMaMT

— Racing.com (@Racing) August 27, 2022

Once that news filtered through, there was a cheer in the Morphettville Parks mounting yard from a big group of connections, who could finally celebrate a much-deserved victory with a horse who deserved a day in the sun after being so consistent at the top level for so long.

Macdonald had won the race previously when it was known as the Penny Edition Stakes – in 2012 with Southern Speed – but this is the first time he’s collected the trophy since it was renamed after him in 2020.

“That means a lot,” an emotional Macdonald said.

“It’s sensational. If he’d had got beat it would’ve been very disappointing.

“Once we get into the room we were never going to lose. I think a lot of pressure was coming from the inside, not the outside, and he did get interfered with by the runner-up at the 150m.

“It was a good result – he’s a good horse.”

Dalasan, who has now collected more than $3.5m in prizemoney from his 36 starts, will head to Melbourne for his next target with Macdonald likely to look for races just below that very top level.

Soft win on the line for Courageous Hearts 😍@RacingSApic.twitter.com/8dyyNwGHaT

— Racing.com (@Racing) August 27, 2022

He always felt the long drought was simply a case of being pitted against the very best horses.

“The owners wanted to win a Group 1 with him and that’s why he was in those races. I’m sure it wouldn’t have been 28 months if we aimed at the level just below,” Macdonald, who trains in partnership with son-in-law Andrew Gluyas, said.

“He’s just been a great horse, right from day one. He should’ve won the VRC Sires’ Produce as a two-year-old and he finished second (to Russian Camelot) in probably the best Derby ever run in SA.

“We’ll find races for him in the spring – and they don’t have to be Group 1 races either. A Group 2 or Group 3 will be fine. There’ll be a nice race for him.”

The stable finished the day with a double after Courageous Hearts broke his maiden with an effortless display in the third race.

While the South Australians managed to hold on to the feature, it was a big day for the Victorians, who snared half of the 10-race card with Merry Mac Boy, Aeecee Dolce, Harbourmaster, Rigal Star and Heywood all claiming their respective events.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:17pm
Surely dismissed. Both as bad as each other. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:10pm
Suspect there may be a protest against Dalasan.  If so his connections should throw in a "dependent upon" protest against the second place-getter who earlier on in the race interfered with the winner on no less than three occasions in the run imo.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:01pm
Very messy race, Just Folk all over him but he got the win 
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2022 at 5:01pm
Dalasan wins the Leon Macdonald Stakes for Leon.

Long time between drinks but good to see him back in the winner's stall.

Sister Dot View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister Dot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 8:14am
She’s in a tri, in a maiden, wish me luck Djebel LOL
“Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? Here where grace is laced with muscle and strength by gentleness confined”
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:58am
Tomorrow Murray Bridge =

Race 1
Party Princess
3f So You Think x Khandallah (Kitten's Joy)
T: L and A Macdonald and Gluyas J: Teagan Voorham
Sibling to Dalasan
MM Gold Coast $300,000 V: Mill Park Stud B: Macdonald Gluyas Racing
reductio ad absurdum
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 10:44am

Group 1 performer Dalasan has narrowly escaped serious injury with his trainer admitting he was "very lucky" it wasn't life-threatening.

Back in class,  Dalasan failed to fire in the G3 R A Lee Stakes (1600m) at Morphettville last Saturday, but co-trainer Leon Macdonald says the five-year-old had excuses.

The son of Dalakhani finished sixth in a field of 13, 5.3 lengths behind winner Belle Plaisir.

"He got galloped on fairly badly," revealed Macdonald, who co-trains with son-in-law Andrew Gluyas.

"It's his offside hind tendon that's the issue, it's not life-threatening, but it wouldn't want to have been any closer or it would've been. (He's) very lucky.

"It would've been as they came down the side I think, but I don't really have the full idea.

"We haven't taken the bandage off since Saturday night, but when we do, we'll get more of an idea."

Despite the setback, Macdonald says the plan is for Dalasan to race on, with a spring program to be mapped out for the horse in time.

"It's too early to tell, but the idea is he'll go forward into the spring providing he's ok," Macdonald said.

Dalasan has built a reputation as a gallant competitor at the elite level, despite not yet winning one, having netted four placings from 19 attempts. 

Macdonald days he's at a loss to explain the poor showing from Manhatten Times in Adelaide's feature sprint, the G1 Goodwood (1200m).

The lightweight chance finished third-last, more than 11 lengths adrift of all-the-way winner Lombardo. 

"No idea," Macdonald said when asked for a reason behind the lacklustre showing.

"He didn't run well, and I can't see any reason why.

"His work leading up to it was excellent, it was a funny sort of race, a lot of horses ran badly. Those horses that got back didn't really perform."

Manhatten Times has been sent to the paddock ahead of a spring return, where the son of Manhattan Rain will likely step out in trip.

Another Award is also bound for the paddock after failing to win the final race of the carnival - the G3 Proud Miss (1200m) - despite starting a warm favourite ($3.30).

"I thought she was disappointing as well," Macdonald said candidly.

"She might've gone one too many, who knows, she's been really good leading into it.

"She ran ok, but I would've expected her to run what would've been a pass mark of running second."

speedingaway View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote speedingaway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 10:33pm
DALASAN (J. Holder) – laid in, in the straight. Rider report that the horse travelled well; however,
was disappointing in its finishing effort. A post-race veterinary examination revealed that the
horse had been galloped on, on its off hind leg. First aid was administered.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 5:27pm
Hope they get him Voyager.

Nothing wrong with his preparation and placement yesterday, however he's clearly no longer in for the tussle.  And given that, to race for yet another season as a 6yo would appear to serve no useful purpose whatsoever.
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 4:51pm
I know a small boutique stud outside Yass that have good group of loyal breeders, who would love to stand him Thumbs Up
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2022 at 2:18pm
Probably be retired now and whisked to stud in the back blocks of NZ 
"Go Hard or Go Home”
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 16>