Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Medical & Health Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:14am

People who eat chili pepper may live longer?

Date:
November 9, 2020
Source:
American Heart Association
Summary:
Consumption of chili pepper may reduce the relative risk of cardiovascular disease mortality by 26%, according to an analysis of diet and mortality data from four large, international studies. Chili pepper consumption was associated with a 25% reduction in death from any cause and 23% fewer cancer deaths, compared to people who never or only rarely consumed chili pepper.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/11/201109074114.htm#:~:text=Individuals%20who%20consume%20chili%20pepper,Heart%20Association%27s%20Scientific%20Sessions%202020.

max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:20am
That reminds me of a racehorse called Mexican Tucker, which was by Fiery Ring (USA).
Baghdad Bob View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghdad Bob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 9:39am
Chilli pepper is a component of capsicum spray used to control violent criminals. Does that mean those criminals will live longer and always serve out their sentences in jail as against those who are not subject to being sprayed with capsicum and may die in jail ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:55am
Chilli is a blood thinner and blood vessel dilator, it is said that in the event of a heart attack away from access to medical treatment, the subject should drink a cup of warm water to which a teaspoon of cayenne pepper has been stirred in. This is alleged to have saved lives, and there really isn't a lot to lose trying it, in those circumstances.
Mr Prospector View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:50am

The pills that can change who you are

I thought this was quite interesting and I've posted the link above (that I hope works) and a short exert from the BBC news web article on the side effects of Statins . Statins would be one of the most prescribed drugs in the world. Its interesting that the link has been known for some time and I wonder if most doctors are aware or warn their patients of this side effect when prescribing Statins .  

The medications that change who we are

“Patient Five” was in his late 50s when a trip to the doctors changed his life.

He had diabetes, and he had signed up for a study to see if taking a “statin” – a kind of cholesterol-lowering drug – might help. So far, so normal.

But soon after he began the treatment, his wife began to notice a sinister transformation. A previously reasonable man, he became explosively angry and – out of nowhere – developed a tendency for road rage. During one memorable episode, he warned his family to keep away, lest he put them in hospital. 

Out of fear of what might happen, Patient Five stopped driving. Even as a passenger, his outbursts often forced his wife to abandon their journeys and turn back. Afterwards, she’d leave him alone to watch TV and calm down. She became increasingly fearful for her own safety.

Then one day, Patient Five had an epiphany. “He was like, ‘Wow, it really seems that these problems started when I enrolled in this study’,” says Beatrice Golomb, who leads a research group at the University of California, San Diego.Alarmed, the couple turned to the study’s organisers. “They were very hostile. They said that the two couldn’t possibly be related, that he needed to keep taking the medication, and that he should stay in the study,” says Golomb.

Ironically, by this point the patient was so cantankerous that he flatly ignored the doctors’ advice. “He swore roundly, stormed out of the office and stopped taking the drug immediately,” she says. Two weeks later, he had his personality back.

There are three types of lies - Lies ,Damn Lies and Statistics
Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
So true, Mr P.
I get chronic muscle pains and aches  as well as fatigue from the statins which I was told I had to have. I also believe they interfere with clarity of mind as well.

Anyways, after pestering my doctor for 2 years for an alternative COVID came along and for various reasons was the catalyst for me getting on a new drug that has no side effects and I feel a million dollars. 
It’s called Repatha.
I suggest anyone who needs cholesterol lowering drugs investigate this option Thumbs Up
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:10pm
I've never heard of Repatha before , I'll have a look at it . Thumbs Up .
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:13pm
Thats interesting .  I am on a study/trial from Monash Uni, looking  at statins and prevention/treatment of dementia/alzheimers.  Its a 5 year thing, and no one knows who is on the real thing and who gets the placebo. Of course.
I seem to be getting a lot of cramps lately,  even in my hands and down my shins, and that Shrunky says about clarity of mind sort of made me sit up, and have a good think. Some days I seem to be in a dream half the time and I really have to concentrate and think about what I am doing .  I feel tired all the time too, no matter how much sleep I get.  Just dragging myself around the place.
I think I might consider coming off the trial after reading this.  At least for awhile and see if things change.
What do others think ?
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 12:37pm
AA, statins do cause muscle cramps, a daily high dose Co-enzyme Q10 capsule is needed, statins deplete the body's natural supply of Q10. It won't hurt you in any way, a naturopath I spoke to said that some horse trainers give it to their horses, it improves function of muscles, including the heart.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:34pm
Where do you buy that, Max ? Chemist or one of those health food places ?
If thats the case, makes me think I must be on the real stuff and not the sugar pill.  Some times my fingers cramp so bad they pull across my palm and I have to use the other hand to unfold them. 
What about the mind games tho ?   Yes, I know the older you get the less bright you get and your memory gets a bit vague, but with this I feel unfocussed, for want of a better word. 
animals before people.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 1:55pm
Many thanks Mr. P, all these symptoms apply to my OH who's been on Atorvastatin for ages including the lack of mental clarity i.e. play golf brilliantly one week then the next, knowing even before leaving that he's not thinking straight. Musc. aches, terrible cramps (foot twists as if broken), temper out of nowhere, fatigue etc. all fit despite 1 tab daily of COQ10. He's bee on the A/statin for many years too.
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

If thats the case, makes me think I must be on the real stuff and not the sugar pill.  Some times my fingers cramp so bad they pull across my palm and I have to use the other hand to unfold them. 
What about the mind games tho ?   Yes, I know the older you get the less bright you get and your memory gets a bit vague, but with this I feel unfocussed, for want of a better word. 
You can probably even get Q10 at Coles these days, but chemists and health food shops for sure, the higher dose would be better. Statins are  implicated in affecting brain function, hardly surprising because the brain contains a large amount of cholesterol. One chap I knew taking a high dose statin, said he was sure he'd lost a few IQ points as a result, but he seemed in need of them, his arteries were that clogged they couldn't get the angiogram thing up his arm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:09pm
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:15pm
[QUOTE=Gay3]Many thanks Mr. P, all these symptoms apply to my OH who's been on Atorvastatin for ages including the lack of mental clarity i.e. play golf brilliantly one week then the next, knowing even before leaving that he's not thinking straight. Musc. aches, terrible cramps (foot twists as if broken), temper out of nowhere, fatigue etc. all fit despite 1 tab daily of COQ10. He's bee on the A/statin for many years too.
[/QUOT

Gary, certainly sounds like a reaction to the statins 
Investigate the Repatha

It's very expensive unless you can get approved for it on the PBS. I had to really push but it's been worth it.

All you need to do is gave your readings gad enough to qualify.  O didn't at first but some binge eating and drinking during covid to care of that
With the government discounts its cheaper than my old statins??
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:16pm
The 150mg one a day should help muscle cramps, often back muscles are affected by statins. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by acacia alba acacia alba wrote:

You better get a real  Doc to look at that hand as I wouldn't trust a Village diagnosis .LOL . But it sounds a bit like 

Dupuytren's contracture (also called Dupuytren's diseaseMorbus DupuytrenViking disease, and Celtic hand) is a condition in which one or more fingers become permanently bent in a flexed position.[2] It is named after Guillaume Dupuytren, who first described the underlying mechanism of action followed by the first successful operation in 1831 and publication of the results in The Lancet in 1834.[6] It usually begins as small, hard nodules just under the skin of the palm,[2] then worsens over time until the fingers can no longer be straightened. While typically not painful, some aching or itching may be present
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:55pm
I have had Dupuytren's contractures, it did not involve sudden cramping in my case, just a gradual loss of utility of the hand, a degree of pain when using tools etc. It can get to a stage with people's hands locked and resembling a cocky's claw picking up a biscuit.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

Many thanks Mr. P, all these symptoms apply to my OH who's been on Atorvastatin for ages including the lack of mental clarity i.e. play golf brilliantly one week then the next, knowing even before leaving that he's not thinking straight. Musc. aches, terrible cramps (foot twists as if broken), temper out of nowhere, fatigue etc. all fit despite 1 tab daily of COQ10. He's bee on the A/statin for many years too.
You're never sure with some of these articles on clinical studies as the articles tend to be quite generalised in nature . 
You can be sure if its a larger real problem , Statins would have to be the industries biggest money spinner and studies like these will meet plenty of pushback from the drug companies and industry in general. 
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:00pm
No, Mr P.  My hand isnt that bad. Its works fine and is fully open .    Just every so often cramps hit.  The fingers dont bend in like a claw, they just all draw together , out straight,,where the first finger almost touches the tip of the little finger.  Both hands sometimes.  No nodules that I can feel.
I have decided I am stopping the trial pills for a month and see if I notice any difference. 
I have had quinate for cramps which always worked fine up until recently.
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:14pm
statins are generally thought by people to lower the risk of heart attack/stroke by reducing cholesterol deposits, but it seems that the real benefit comes from lowering inflammation of the blood vessels.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Prospector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 7:08am
As I said before aa ,never trust a village diagnosis Smile . I knew someone with dupytrens contracture which I think they also call trigger finger . 
Good luck . 
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
I spent a few minutes on CoQ10 re statins, almost bought some:

But I spent a few minutes more searching and could not find good evidence for reduction of muscle pain caused by statin use.

An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 8:52am
a bucket load of coq10 wouldn’t have stopped my reaction to the statins??
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 9:47am
Put it this way, if shelling out $30 on a bottle of Q10 150mg and using it for a month as a test, deters you from  trying it, and given it is not going to hurt you, then your muscle spasms can't be too bad.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:06pm
Anyone familiar with guillain-barré syndrome?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 6:14pm
No
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:03pm
Anyone willing to have a go at diagnosing what’s going on over on the Neufbosc thread?
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 7:07pm
No, it's safer down here in Joffs.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Whale Whale wrote:

People love talking about their health. Frankly I find it marginally less boring than talk about children, grandkids.
But better here than the Trump thread.
So if you would like to share your experiences, tips etc this is the place to do so

Thanks Whale LOL

Censored Censored Censored  Bloody shingles Shocked but at least I know now!

My progression in more detail:

Day 1: Deep pain in my left side, around a 3/10 kind of dull aching constant pain. Right side but pain 8/10 & thought I'd pulled an intercostal (done it before, same feeling)

Day 2: Same pain but rash started to appear. On stomach

Day 3: Pain intensified to about a 4/10, extra red marks appeared (picture 1) Stll 8/10 Panadeine forte nightly to sleep.

Day 4: Rash started to spread, pain consistently about a 4/10 but with pulses of more severe 8/10 pain (deep, nervy pain). Started to feel generally quite drained and like I was coming down with something like a cold / flu. Rash also on back. No other symptoms bar rib pain.

Day 5: Rash continues to spread and pain was about the same as day 4. By the end of the day I started to see some fluid filled blisters. (Picture 2) Yep, same!

Day 6: Rash continued to spread and there were lots of fluid filled blisters. This is the day I actually managed to get an appointment with the doctor and get some anti-viral medication. I was prescribed Aciclovir 800mg 5 times per day plus a one a day antihistamine, calamine lotion and paracetamol. I was advised not to take ibuprofen as it’s not effective for nerve pain (I didn’t know this before..). The anti-virals should help but they are most effective within 72 hours of symptoms..I therefore slightly missed the boat. Have now taken an antihistamine & blisters peaking. Can you tell I don't do pain well? LOL

Day 7: Today. More spreading. Everything hurts. Pain is more like a consistent 7 when with pulses of 8/9 when the pain killers wear off. Make sure you take pain killers!! They bring the pain down to a consistent 4/5..which is still grim to live with without any break. Once the blisters appear the pain is a mixture of the skin burning & itching and the deep nerve pain. Clothes hurt.

Anyway...that’s where I am now but I hope this helps with early detection! Sure has Big smile

Guess I'll have to see it thru' & get a shingles vax at the appropriate time Confused

Further experienced advice welcome
Hug

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 4:33pm
 is this you who has the shingles, Gay?

not sure if you are the one in blue...

Unhappy
Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>