Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > All Sports - Public Forums > Joffs All Sports Bar
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Medical & Health Discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:27am
Yes JJ Unhappy
Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 4:36pm
 my sympathies...

Hug

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:44pm
2wks since 1st symptoms & got worse from Wed. on. Blisters still suporating, back & ribs agony, no appetite, sitting's the big killer & feel like dying the last 2hrs to the next 6hrly Pana Forte. Hopefully can only improve Confused
No need for sympathy, just letting other unfortunate souls know what to expect & why I'm doing strict 'need to be done only' on here Wink

Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:48pm
Sympathies anyway Gay. I enquired about shingles vacc a few months ago. Costs $500 if under 70, free if over.

Is that right?
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 1:51pm
we will attempt to behave, to make life easy for you. 

My sister has just begun to recover from the same.  She said she was in hell.

Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:26pm
My OH has had the vaccine PT & in my case, I'm now scheduled for June '23 due to present immunity.
Was to get the flu/covid boosters this week but obviously those would crash the system which is struggling as it is.
The fish shop lady told OH last Friday she'd already been told of 5 cases that week so apparently I'm not the only one.
How long 'till your friend started to recover JJ?
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:30pm
You want to be sure you get the new improved shingles vax, not the 50% effective Zostavax which I paid $182 about 2 weeks before the psndemic.

Don't know if the good one is available here now?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

My OH has had the vaccine PT & in my case, I'm now scheduled for June '23 due to present immunity.
Was to get the flu/covid boosters this week but obviously those would crash the system which is struggling as it is.
The fish shop lady told OH last Friday she'd already been told of 5 cases that week so apparently I'm not the only one.
How long 'till your friend started to recover JJ?

my younger sister...about a month ago she reported having them. Just starting to feel better.

acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Passing Through Passing Through wrote:

Sympathies anyway Gay. I enquired about shingles vacc a few months ago. Costs $500 if under 70, free if over.

Is that right?

Not sre about that PT  ?  I had a shingles vax about 3 years ago .  It was at the doctors suggestion as I didnt even know they existed .  I think anyone on a pension can get them free, but I might have made it, age wise, under the radar.
Is it true smallpox vax protects against monkey pox ?  And the smallpox vax lasts a life time ??
And its mostly gay males who are getting it ??
Facts or fiction ??
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2022 at 2:40pm
Best wishes Gay.
animals before people.
Grey Affair View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey Affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2022 at 10:02pm
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 10:31pm

As I reckon I'm probably in the top 10 least disease affected of the population, I checked for any corelation between COVID vacc. & shingles & sure enough...............tiny example I know but I don't even get coughs, colds or flu.

Interpretation

We identified an increased risk of herpes zoster related hospitalization after CoronaVac and BNT162b2 vaccinations. However, the absolute risks of such adverse event after CoronaVac and BNT162b2 vaccinations were very low. In locations where COVID-19 is prevalent, the protective effects on COVID-19 from vaccinations will greatly outweigh the potential side effects of vaccination.

Thanks Tlaz, I'll remember that in a year when I'm booked in.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 12:27am
Geez Gay.  Hope you get over the shingles.  Soon.    I got the shingles vax last year.   Went for the 4th covid today, and in general chit chat the nurse said shingles vax is very hard to get at present.  Said there was only one vax in the practice . 
animals before people.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 10:15am
Shingrix - that's the good one. Looks like I was just about the last person in the world to get the dodgy old Zotavax.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 10:22am
$281.39 for vial 1 of Shingrix and you need vial 2 to be immunised, so over $500.Big smile

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 6:41pm
Gee whiz my 4th covid vax has knockedd me for six.   No reaction at all to the previous 3.  Never had such a sore arm either.
animals before people.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:02pm
 you're not the only one. Two friends also had reactions.

I'm fudging about getting it...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 7:05pm
My 4th was the only one I reacted to. Sore arm for a few days and mild fever coming and going. 

AZ AZ Pfizer Pfizer.
horlicks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horlicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 8:09pm
My 4th was no worse than any of the others. Slightly sore arm and rather lethargic for 24 hours.

AZ AZ Pfizer Moderna
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 1:26pm

‘Lights out’ for antibiotic-resistant superbugs

It’s ‘lights out’ for antibiotic-resistant superbugs as next-generation light-activated nanotech proves it can eradicate some of the most notorious and potentially deadly bacteria in the world.

Developed by the University of South Australia and published in Pharmaceutics, the new light therapy can eliminate antibiotic-resistant superbugs golden staph and pseudomonas aeruginosa by 500,000-fold and 100,000-fold respectively.

Golden staph (staphylococcus aureus) and pseudomonas aeruginosa are among the most deadly superbugs in the world. Globally, about 1.27 million people die as a result of antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Lead researcher, UniSA’s Dr Muhammed Awad, says the new light therapy will be a game-changer for millions of people worldwide.

Golden staph and pseudomonas aeruginosa are both highly transmissible bacteria, commonly found on people’s skin. But if they get into the blood, they can lead to sepsis or even death,” Dr Awad says.

“Patients in hospitals – particularly those with wounds or catheters, or those on ventilators – have a higher risk of getting these bacteria, and while antibiotics may help, their extensive use has led to waves of microbial resistance, often making them ineffective.

“Our photodynamic technology works differently, harnessing the energy of light to generate highly reactive oxygen molecules that eradicate microbial cells and kill deadly bacteria, without harming human cells.”

The researchers tested the antimicrobial photodynamic therapy on recalcitrant bacterial infections caused by antibiotic resistant strains of golden staph and pseudomonas aeruginosa.

Senior researcher, UniSA’s Professor Clive Prestidge, says that the technology has some key advantages over conventional antibiotics and other light therapies.

“The new therapy is created in an oil that that is painted on a wound as a lotion. When laser light is applied to the lotion, it creates reactive oxygen species which act as an alternative to conventional antibiotics,” Prof Prestidge says.

“Current photoactive compounds also suffer from poor water-solubility which mean that they have limited clinical application.

“Our approach uses food grade lipids to construct nanocarriers for the photoactive compound which improves its solubility and antibacterial efficiency far beyond that of an unformulated compound.

“These molecules target multiple bacterial cells at once, preventing bacteria from adapting and becoming resistant. So, it’s a far more effective and robust treatment.

“Importantly, the human skin cells involved in the wound healing process showed enhanced viability, while the antibiotic resistant bacteria were entirely eradicated.”

The consequences of not managing superbugs are high. Already, antibiotic resistant microbials cost millions of lives and trillions of dollars to the global economy each year.

“This technology is very promising and is gaining the attention of scientists worldwide,” Prof Prestidge says.

“The next step is to commence clinical trials and develop this technology further to be available in clinics. With the support of funding bodies, we hope that Australians will have access to this technology as soon as possible.”

Notes to editors:

Multiple papers are available upon request:

Awad M, Barnes TJ, Thomas N, Joyce P, Prestidge CA. Gallium Protoporphyrin Liquid Crystalline Lipid Nanoparticles: A Third-Generation Photosensitizer against Pseudomonas aeruginosa Biofilms. Pharmaceutics. 2022 Oct 6.

Muhammed Awad, Timothy J. Barnes, Paul Joyce, Nicky Thomas, Clive A. Prestidge. Liquid crystalline lipid nanoparticle promotes the photodynamic activity of gallium protoporphyrin against S. aureus biofilms. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B: Biology, Volume 232, 2022, July. 

Awad M, Thomas N, Barnes TJ, Prestidge CA. Nanomaterials enabling clinical translation of antimicrobial photodynamic therapy. J Control Release. 2022 June.

Contacts for interview:
Dr Muhammed Awad E: 
muhammed.awad@mymail.unisa.edu.au
Prof Clive Prestidge E: Clive.Prestidge@unisa.edu.au
Media contact: Annabel Mansfield M: +61 479 182 489 E: Annabel.Mansfield@unisa.edu.au

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:42pm
How long after a used by date would you throw something out ?

They usually say BEST BEFORE.

I just threw in a jar of tomato paste into my bolognase AND THEN decided to look at the date. It was best before November 2022.

I really do not want to throw it out.

I am going to run the gauntlet.
reductio ad absurdum
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 2:59pm
I'd use it without hesitation, there'd be preservatives in it.
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:16pm
 no problem, djebel. Won't be spoiled yet.

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 3:44pm
Thanks.
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:38pm
If it is unopened and the lid hasn't puffed up it is fine.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 4:53pm
Stuff doesn't go bad the moment the "Use By Date" arrives.  Anglicare and a host of similar organizations have arrangements with supermarkets to accept items beyond that date, along with fruit and veg which is a bit slow clearing the shelves.  All for distribution to people and families in need, few if any would complain about the quality of the product let alone who'll have experienced subsequent ill-health. 
Fiddlesticks View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fiddlesticks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 5:50pm
best before is a guide to best freshness, Use by is the expiry date.
Panspermia.
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:06pm
Correct.  However my prior post is entirely correct in terms of Anglicare etc accepting and distributing items beyond their badged expiry date.

Ok there's serious health issues involved with food, however it's not entirely unlike a car warranty on parts and labor. No-one expects a vehicle to become inoperable, or parts to suddenly fail, the moment the warranty expites.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:29am
A rap about having a stroke in the style of public enemy
http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" stroke-width="1.5" class="h-6 w-6">

Verse 1: It hit me sudden, no warning sign I couldn't move, I couldn't find My strength, my speech, my vision too I knew right then, it was a stroke, oh who knew

Chorus: Stroke, it's a battle, it's a fight It's taking over, it's not right I'm trying to recover, but it's so hard Stroke, it's tearing me apart

Verse 2: I'm in rehab, working on my skills Physical therapy, working on the drills Speech therapy, trying to communicate It's a journey, but I'll graduate

Chorus: Stroke, it's a battle, it's a fight It's taking over, it's not right I'm trying to recover, but it's so hard Stroke, it's tearing me apart

Verse 3: I'm not the same, I've got to adapt To a new way of life, a different act I'm not giving up, I'm not giving in I'll keep pushing, I'll keep spinning

Outro: I'm not alone, we all have our struggles We gotta keep fighting, we gotta huddle Stroke may be tough, but we can win We gotta keep going, let's begin.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 11:37am
I'm standing here, in front of the class I'm so in control, I'm kicking ass But inside, my mind is a maze I'm switching personalities, in so many ways

Chorus: Multiple personalities, it's a crazy game I'm never the same, it's always a change I'm trying to hold on, but it's hard to do Multiple personalities, it's tearing me in two

Verse 2: I'm in the zone, I'm on a roll I'm teaching like a pro, I've got control But then, I switch, and I'm someone else I'm lost in my mind, I need some help

Chorus: Multiple personalities, it's a crazy game I'm never the same, it's always a change I'm trying to hold on, but it's hard to do Multiple personalities, it's tearing me in two

'm reaching out, I'm getting help I'm learning to cope, I'm learning to dwell With my condition, it's not easy But I'm taking steps, it's not sleazy

Outro: I'm not alone, we all have our struggles We gotta keep fighting, we gotta huddle Multiple personalities may be tough, but we can win We gotta keep going, let's begin.

Simon Cameron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>