Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Breeding - Public Forums > Conformation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

What to feed a severely injured horse

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to feed a severely injured horse
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 11:56pm
How is she progressing now Goldey?  Hopefully she's well on the way to recovery by now
http://www.equinehaven.com.au
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:41pm
Asleep at the wheel Einstein.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2018 at 1:18am
Wow, good luck chasing the authorities, they def need to be called out if it was their fault due to faulty mechanisms. Glad she is still fighting, what diet did you settle on?
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2018 at 7:30pm
Lilly is one tough girl, she continues to amaze the vets who have done a herculean job, the stud has been wonderful in providing for her special needs , 50/50 at the start, has passed and she has put on weight , the report from from the QRIC enquiry will be interesting reading I am led to believe.
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:21pm
How is your girl? Suing racing authorities will get you years of harassment.
to the victor
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 5:09pm
Awaiting news from our vet regarding a set back today hopefully not life threatening , our attention turns to the possibility of legal action against Racing Qld over the non compliant and hazardous set of barriers that contributed greatly to her injures, is there a legal firm who deals solely with horse related matters.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 1:03pm
She in a lovely little paddock free grazing now, Bute is being reduced too less harmful levels, oral antibiotics no more needles, she is doing well, one tough girl.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2018 at 6:20am
Goldey, yikes.  That sounds horrifying.

Is she confined to her stall, or is she able to go out for a short hand-grazing session?  If so, one or two fifteen-minute sessions will do wonders for her mental state, and it gives the stable hands time to clean the stall and disinfect the hard surfaces while she's not in the way.
brave_ponies View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brave_ponies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:37pm
Just saw this and wanted to wish your filly all the best for a full and speedy recovery.
Sounds like the sort of nightmare injury all horse owners dread.
Some great advice above, of course. I personally believe good ol' grass is the best form of roughage, or low-sugar hay.
KER Equijewel is my first choice for non-heating non-grain feed - it's a concentrated pellet made from rice bran (without fillers), so it's high-fat and protein. Great for slow steady conditioning. And all horses seem to love it. Not cheap but what horse is!
Good luck Goldey and please keep us posted.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 5:04pm
The injury is her near flank approx 500mm long and deep enough to penetrate her abdomenal wall, is the whole length of the rear starting gate long ,razor sharp lots of crush so main concern is infection and obviously strength , I tended her a week now the stud has taken over she is one tough girl.
Kimberley Mine View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimberley Mine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 10:10am
You have a few things going here...you don't want to scrimp on nutrition for a growing filly, you don't want her to get hot and stupid, and she's at a risk for founder if it's a leg injury so you don't want to make that worse with diet.

I would make forage the focus of her diet...minimum 1.5kg hay per 100kg body weight per day, with up to half of that being lucerne.  Work her up slowly and stop at either 50% lucerne or whatever percentage is as much as she can have without being silly.  Then give her a ration balancer/mineral supplement appropriate for her age.  If she starts getting hot or silly, or starts putting on weight, reduce the lucerne.  If she starts dropping weight, increase the hay.

If you need to give a hard feed to hide medicines (or because her friends are getting some and you don't want drama), I'd look for a senior feed based on either lucerne or beet pulp and not on grains, and keep the portion size relatively small (no more than 1kg at a go).  Alternately, make a mash of soaked hay cubes and beet pulp and mix the mineral supplement in there.

If you need something to keep her busy for a while when it's not feeding time, cut a few carrots into coins, put them in a small-ish container, cover it with water, and freeze it.  Between feed times, toss the "popsicle" into her feed tray and that should entertain her for a while.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 8:34pm
Responding to treatment thus far.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:37pm
I would steer clear of any grain while not moving around because will probably tye up.
Paul Hogan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 7:33pm
My Filly was saved by a tube.

Not sure you can Tube a young one your Vet would know.

If so I would get the Vet to Tube feed her for a week so she can rest I find it is cheaper
to have them stay at Vets so you don’t have to pay visit fees, some grass hay and you that would give her a good chance.

Best of Luck!!!
linghi11 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linghi11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 12:22am
I wonder if something like breed n grow would go well? Don’t find it stirs them up too much but helps maintain good condition. Oaten chaff, grass or clover hay? Also make sure the tetanus vaccine is refreshed, use honey/peroxide on the wound and imho extra zinc supplementation is incredibly important for healing and often overlooked. I find it speeds up healing 2-3 fold.
to the victor
PhillipC View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PhillipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:17pm
Hope she makes a good recovery Goldey.
I think the advice of weaning her off her current feed is sound, as is plentiful amounts of good grass hay which should keep the gut working normally as she'll be constantly eating.  If she eats too well, perhaps a slow feed haynet (smaller holes in it so it takes them longer to eat it) or even putting a full haynet inside another haynet to ensure she doesn't woof it down quickly.
Perhaps a slow release feed made of something like Hygain Tru Gain (oil based pellet) and Hygain Micrabeet and a good multi vitamin mix in addition to the hay will give her enough energy to grow and heal properly.
For boredom, give her something to play with in the stable as advised earlier, a ball in a haynet, a witches hat on the floor (although sometimes they throw them out of the stable and have nothing to play with until you go down there again and retrieve it for them :-) )

http://www.equinehaven.com.au
Bluey View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 9:36pm
Best wishes , hope all goes well.
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:09pm
Best of luck for your girl, Goldy.  Rotten news.
animals before people.
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:07pm
Good luck goldie.
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 6:56am
Do you mean so as not to make her full of energy? Unfortunately that is easier said than done, as no matter what feed, unless they do some sort of activity they will have energy stores.

I am gathering she is boxed. Slowly wean her off her current food (can you post that here so we can see what she is on).

With any injury, most will drop a bit of weight initially anyway, most of it muscle tone.

I would feed basic good grass hay, 24/7 with maybe a small flake of Lucerne so that she has some energy to put towards healing, depending on what her current weight is like, that maybe all she needs with no grain. I am sure someone like Gay maybe able to help more if grain is needed, but my guess would be to keep it as simple as possible, to try and curb the appearance of gut ulcers s well.

Put some lickit toys up too maybe to try and keep her occupied.

Good luck, I really hope she pulls through whatever it is she has done.
goldey View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:46am
Need help, our beautiful filly is fighting a her greatest Race that being her mortality. My question is she hasn't stopped eating, just after advise on the best hard feed for healing. Injury is too horrific to post up.ie 3.5hours of stitching.
 Post Reply Post Reply