Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Fifty Stars - WOW!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 3:26pm
Exactly what I meant PMD, Jamal showed himself to be a pure drongo, or perhaps a deliberate troll, with his comments.

The horse needs running room and all of his best performances have seen him come down the outside, rather than through the pack, Gay may have a point re him being unsound and I guess something more may come of that over the next few days but as I said he was a million to one once Allen settled him where he did.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
I hope Fifty Stars can make me look like a fool today.

reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:53am
What was the original plan in running in Aoollo? Or have they followed the original plan?
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
This was never publicly part of the original plan.

My memory of it was - Orr Stakes, Blamey Stakes, Australian Cup  Doncaster.

reductio ad absurdum
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 9:58am
So why lug him to Sydney for a certain thrashing?Big smile
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

TJMitchell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TJMitchell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:00am
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

I hope Fifty Stars can make me look like a fool today.

You've been pretty good at doing that yourself on occasion Wink
Time is a flat circle
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:06am
Yes but this would be the final nail. 
reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:02am
Any news on the plans with this fella going forward? After the abomination of a fortnight they had with him (Blamey-Aus Cup-ASM in successive weeks).

I thought he may be nominated for the Ranvet but no such luck, he's still in the market for the Queen Elizabeth, he'd be a million to one to go to the Tancred even though that is probably the most suitable race for him.

Looking at how they've managed his career this far, it wouldn't be a surprise if they ran him in the All Aged for a career swansong.  LOL
Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:41am
Best gear change they can make.....J Allen off, competent jock on.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 3:47pm
Apparently no Doncaster for this guy.

Fair enough too.

I suspected they would go to the Donny and back up a week later into the Queen Elizabeth.

He is listed as "active" on Racing Australia.

Will they go 5 weeks between runs into the Queen Elizabeth or are they freshening him for a tilt at Queensland ? 

reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 3:42pm
Nominated for the All Aged this weekend, hopefully just as a warm up run for the Doomben Cup.
Shawy38 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawy38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 10:54am
Heading to the Hollindale Stakes next, Willie Pike booked (pending he is allowed to leave WA)
Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing
pnclick View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pnclick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 12:59pm
Was a great run saturday. I immediately looked up his odds for the Doomben Cup, but like alot of 'futures' odds, not much value there at $15 this far out.
Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:54pm
Another honest effort today in the Hollindale Cup.

But geez he’ll find it tough to turn the tables on Zaaki in the Doomben Cup.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 9:48pm
Ridden to get every chance LH , the winner looks a real WFA type.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:06pm
What is a WFA type ? 
reductio ad absurdum
VOYAGER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VOYAGER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:46pm
The Voyager Webster Thoroughbred Racing 34th Edition Dictionary Wink

Term - Weight For Age (WFA) Type: A thoroughbred who shows tactical speed at the WFA weight scale. A horse who is capable of winning consistently, while racing in the WFA weight structure. A horse who shows superior acceleration under WFA weight scale. A horse who is not disadvantaged at the WFA weight scale.  Example = Lonhro.

Supplementary Entry - This term is not to be bestowed upon a horse who shows this performance once or twice during the gallopers career. The horse needs to have performed consistently at this level. Example = Harlem.

Associated Usage - A young or experienced horse maybe described as a WFA type galloper, when it has shown these qualities in one or two races, and then continues to show these qualities under the WFA weight scale.  Current Example = Masked Crusader. 

Incorrect Usage of this Term - When placed upon a horse who has shown once, that they are capable of this type of performance, but then consistently comes up short of the required performance level. Example = Master Of Wine.

Variations of the Term - In some cases there are gallopers who have shown WFA type performances at Group 1 level, however they are not genuine Group 1 WFA gallopers. These gallopers can show WFA tendencies at lower levels than Group 1, but find the higher grade more difficult.  Example = Jungle Edge.

Having said all that Zaaki does look a galloper that, if he continues on his current trajectory could be competitive in next seasons main WFA races.        
Remember, it might take intelligence to be smart , but it takes experience to be wise
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

What is a WFA type ? 
A bit sad that with all your knowledge gleaned from the Racing Post and various other publications that you would ask a question like that , then again I'm not surprised . Wink

Pardon_My_Dust View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pardon_My_Dust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Ridden to get every chance LH , the winner looks a real WFA type.

Great to see a change of jockey and a much more positive ride and lo and behold the horse produced a cracker of a run. 
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 12:25pm
And for the record, WFA is not a class of race.

reductio ad absurdum
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 4:00pm
FWIW I agree with you djebel, you've been saying for years that WFA class doesn't make sense and you are 100% correct that it makes no sense, as WFA is the conditions of a race at any level of racing, I remember posting in here once that if a horse won a WFA race at Birdsville does it make them "WFA class" but of course they missed the point.

Also, Jamals belligerent attempts to target you are quite amusing, he certainly shows himself to be clueless when he attempts this.
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

FWIW I agree with you djebel, you've been saying for years that WFA class doesn't make sense and you are 100% correct that it makes no sense, as WFA is the conditions of a race at any level of racing, I remember posting in here once that if a horse won a WFA race at Birdsville does it make them "WFA class" but of course they missed the point.

Also, Jamals belligerent attempts to target you are quite amusing, he certainly shows himself to be clueless when he attempts this.
 If it doesn't make sense why was introduced in the first place ? why hasn't been taken of the agenda ? the saying WFA class is nothing more than Aussie racing vernacular used by racing people for over a century and there are many more where that comes from , the most idiotic part of this debate is it's a nothing burger , so Afros tell me some more about Birdsville as its a unique place on the map but imo the people who work around the district with the heat and the flies are truly WFA class !! Wink
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Pardon_My_Dust Pardon_My_Dust wrote:

Best gear change they can make.....J Allen off, competent jock on.

Allen is without doubt a top class jockey PMD, however totally agree with you here regarding Fifty Stars.  Settled near last on the rail in previous races which was a recipe for failure and so it proved on a number of occasions.

But next thing you know he produces a string of first-class winning performances.  Go figure.
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by Afros Afros wrote:

If it doesn't make sense why was introduced in the first place ? why hasn't been taken of the agenda ? the saying WFA class is nothing more than Aussie racing vernacular used by racing people for over a century and there are many more where that comes from , the most idiotic part of this debate is it's a nothing burger , so Afros tell me some more about Birdsville as its a unique place on the map but imo the people who work around the district with the heat and the flies are truly WFA class !! Wink

Are you clueless or trolling?

Djebel has said for a number of years that "WFA class" is meaningless, and he is correct, WFA is a condition of a race, not a class level.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:47pm
Christ it's not so difficult to understand.  A true WFA horse, particularly in terms of open age races, is surely one that can be competitive at the WFA scale in genuine Group class races.
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 9:58pm
Sequalo won 4 WFA races. What class of horse was he ? 
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:10pm
Well maybe look at his performances in terms of the above criteria.

Never won at Gp1 level but placed in three, however was a winner or placed in Graded races on 12 occasions so was a most worthy if not exceptional WFA performer over sprint distances.

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Christ it's not so difficult to understand.  A true WFA horse, particularly in terms of open age races, is surely one that can be competitive at the WFA scale in genuine Group class races.
Very true , hence my use of the term which I'll repeat is purely Oz racing terminology used by journos in decades past , you won't read it in o/s papers because the phrase doesn't exist to them. Wink
Afros View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:14am
Surely if a horse is competitive in races like say, the Underwood, Caulfield Stakes and Makybe Diva, that makes them Group 1 class, not WFA class.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 10:53am
Conversely, surely if a horse is competitive in races like say, the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups, that makes them Group 1 class but not necessarily WFA class.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>