Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Community - Public Forums > Laundry Basket
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

China

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 66>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by max manewer max manewer wrote:

Just imagine, if Australia had a credible nuclear deterrent of its own, we would not have to be the pet parrot of the USA.

We do Max.

Japan sent us a bunch of top notch stuff 3 months ago, and that is why Beijing now views us as a major threat.

Australia is allied with Japan, America, Taiwan, India, almost all of South America, Russia, Central Europe.

If China makes anymore threats, Japan isnt going to hold back and wait to be bombed.

Putin is just watching it all unfold.
Japan is watching China's every single move like a hawk.

Australia has weapons capable of bombing Beijing from Hobart.
That is why there is such a drastic change in relations the past 3 months.
Australia chose India, America and Japan.
That is not changing now.
We ripped down the Chinese 5G towers, and essentially told China to f#ck off.

Its pretty much the entire world, versus China.
China is simply suicidal now.
They have been backed into a corner.
Their plans got rejected globally.
Now they are trying to re-think how to survive the mess they started.

If China enters India, Japan is simply going to wipe Beijing off the face of the planet.
But China knows that. So it's a stalemate.

President Xi has to meet with Trump, Putin, etc etc.

ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
max manewer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Gay3 Gay3 wrote:

The world appears powerless, apathetic or obsessed with COVID mania towards China's intended takeover Angry

Relax, and forget your income tax, whipping up hysteria about "threats" is standard procedure. There is no doubt China is a threat to American economic domination, but that is just too bad, if they are able to out-compete others, economically, then that is just following the laws of nature. We have been told that the Western system is the gold standard of economic organization, for centuries, if that turns out to be wrong, then we will pay the penalty for living a lie.
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:17pm
You wont hear Donald panicking people about the Biden/China flu.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:41pm
The simple reality is that China does not have a military capability that would compete with the US in terms of power projection, it is in fact not even competitive with Putin's Russia in that respect. Alarmism about Chinese military threats are a commentary on the people making those noises, and no-one else. On the economic front, it is a different matter, I am just staggered to read that China is pouring more concrete in three years, than the USA did, in the entire 20th century, seems inpossible, but that is the claim.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:45pm
The reality is that the 3 major powers do not engage themselves.They use proxies and proxies of proxies. Lot of damage still gets done.
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 1:51pm
UK PM, Chamberlain had Adolf Hitlers assurance hat he would not invade anyone .
    That was a day before Germany wiped Poland out.

An un prepared Western World were fortunate to survive that conflict ...

WHEN will we ever Learn.   
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 2:03pm
Chamberlain is not to be blamed for Hitler starting a war. As for "preparedness", one might argue that it is the enormous standing forces of the USA are such an economic burden, that it is giving an economic competitive advantage to societies not so hamstrung. Including China.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 12:57pm

Villagers help Indian troops face Chinese forces in Himalayas

At an altitude of almost 15,000ft, the residents of Chushul village make their way across the bleak and unforgiving territory of the Indian state of Ladakh.

With unwieldy and overstuffed duffel bags, rice sacks, heavy fuel cans and bamboo canes strapped to their backs, they trudge upwards to a Himalayan mountain peak known as Black Top, where hundreds of Indian army tents are stationed on the horizon.

The 100-odd men, women and young boys are not making this arduous journey out of kindness. In the coming winter months, temperatures here will drop to –40C. The villagers fear that if they do not help the Indian army secure their positions along the mountain ridges bordering China – and help prepare the troops for the harsh winter ahead – their village might soon be under Chinese control.We want to help the Indian army to secure their positions immediately,” said Tsering, a 28-year-old volunteer from Chushul. “We are carrying supplies to them, doing multiple rounds in a day, to ensure that the army doesn’t face too many problems.”Chushal, a hamlet of around 150 households, is one of the closest habitations to India’s disputed border with China in eastern Ladakh. Since May, Indian and Chinese troops have been engaged in an increasingly aggressive dispute over their poorly demarcated Himalayan boundary, known as the line of actual control (LAC).

In June, the situation escalated into a violent, high-altitude clash in which 20 Indian soldiers, and an unknown number of Chinese soldiers, were killed in a hand-to-hand battle between the two sides, the worst loss of life on the border for more than four decades.

On 29 August, just a few miles from Chushul, another face-off broke out between India and China troops. There were no casualties that night, but shots were fired by troops on the border for the first time in 45 years.

At a meeting in Moscow last week, the defence ministers of India and China released a joint statement agreeing to “disengage as soon as possible” along their border. It followed at least five rounds of high-level military negotiations that have gone nowhere, with both sides continuing to insist the other is violating sovereign territory.

But, according to the villagers, there is little evidence of disengagement on the ground. Over the past week, Indian troops have continued to build up along the border. A convoy of Indian army vehicles has continued to bring supplies and ammunition to troops camped in posts along the border, and around 100 diggers have been brought in for the construction of roads and buildings, to further secure India’s position along the border.

“It’s very clear that both sides are planning to stay there for winter; they seem to be anticipating that there will be no diplomatic outcome,” said Manoj Joshi, a security expert at the Observer Research Foundation.

“The reality is that China does not want to settle this because it is a convenient way to keep India unsettled and weakened, by entangling them in an expensive military operation along the Himalayan border that is far beyond their means.”

This week, the villagers of Chushul have continued their non-stop efforts to bring supplies to the troops on Black Top. There is no road access to the mountain ridges that have become the new frontline. They spoke of their worries about the coming five months when the whole area becomes almost completely cut off by snow, ice and lethal avalanches.“The area where the recent face-off took place is yet to have a road, let alone the infrastructure,” said Tsering. “How long will the army keep supplies going like this?”

She was echoed by Konchak Tsepel, another villager. “The new places where China has engaged the Indian army don’t have proper living conditions. The army is being put up in tents. I don’t know how they are going to build infrastructure good enough to live, when there is no road.”

Experts says India had not been prepared for a drawn-out battle along its mountain border, which shows no sign of easing off. It now has just a few weeks to make sure the four divisions currently deployed in Ladakh, numbering around 40,000 troops, are prepared to hold their positions against China over winter.

The Indian military has been spending billions on defence along its China border, including a $400m new tunnel into the mountains in Himachal Pradesh, but maintaining the tens of thousands of troops in this high-altitude desert is a complex and costly task. The region doesn’t have proper communication channels and electricity hasn’t yet reached many villages. Meanwhile, China’s defence budget is three times the size of India’s.

Tashi Chhepal, 60, a retired Indian army captain who has served in the region for more than three decades, described how over the winter, “at some posts our contact with the outside world would get cut off for even five months at a times”.He said: “Everything would freeze like a rock and we would stock supplies for the entire winter. For those months we would rely on tin-packed food. The connectivity is still as bad. Nothing much has changed in years.”

Pravin Sawhney, a former Indian army officer, said India had been taken by “complete surprise” with China’s recent aggressions along the border and were now on the back foot. “China is far superior,” added Sawhney. They have got the fibre optic internet right to the edge of the battle space.”

An Indian army major general, Amrit Pal Singh, the former chief of operational logistics of the Leh region, said the logistics of moving troops and supplies to the area as winter sets in was a challenge unlike any other for the Indian military. “This is the most isolated battlefield in the world,” he said.

maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
Every Suburb has a Hitler ...   All they need is the position of power.
Gay3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:16pm
China has to be the biggest worry to the entire world Angry Once upon a time, albeit long ago, they were at least subtle Disapprove

'You will be put into detention': Former ABC bureau chief tells story of fleeing China for first time

3hrs ago

It was late on a Friday evening and I was about to head home from the ABC's Beijing office when the telephone rang.

On the other end of the line was a man from the Central Cyberspace Affairs Commission.

He refused to give his name but insisted one of the ABC's Chinese staff write down the statement he was about to dictate.

The man told us our reporting had "violated China's laws and regulations, spread rumours and illegal, harmful information which endangered state security and damaged national pride".

It was August 31, 2018, and I had been the ABC's China bureau chief since January 2016, working alongside reporter Bill Birtles.

Three weeks earlier the ABC's website had been suddenly banned in China and ever since I had been pushing for an official reason why. The telephone call came, and there it was.

But the call also marked the beginning of something else: more than three months of intimidation until my family and I were effectively forced to leave China.

They wanted me to know they were watching

I am telling this story for the first time. After my departure from China I was reluctant to report what had happened because I did not want to harm the ABC's operations in China, put staff at risk or threaten the chances of my successor as bureau chief, Sarah Ferguson, being granted a journalist's visa to China.

But all that changed when Birtles and the Australian Financial Review's Mike Smith fled the country this month.

My story — which occurred two years earlier — suggests there is more to their actions against foreign journalists than tit-for-tat reprisals as the Chinese portray it.

The fact is that every foreign journalist in China is under surveillance. But tracking of my activities picked up significantly after that Friday night phone call.

There is the kind of surveillance the Chinese government wants you to know about. When I was reporting on the mass detentions of Uyghurs in Xinjiang, for example, the ABC team was surrounded by about 20 security officials, followed by midnight knocks on our hotel room doors and questioning about our daily activities.

But there is also the hidden cyber surveillance and occasionally I saw it in action.

One night in the early hours of the morning I woke to see someone remotely controlling my phone and accessing my email account. They searched and found an email from activists in New York that I was CC'd into requesting to have the famous ABC "tank man" footage from the Tiananmen Square massacre given a UNESCO heritage listing.

The email was left open so I could see it, which I believe was a deliberate attempt to let me know they were watching.

I continued to work as normal. I feel strongly that the moment you adjust your reporting to placate the Chinese authorities, it is the moment you should leave.

Our future was in the hands of Chinese authorities

One way the Chinese authorities try to force foreign journalists to self-censor their work is by threatening not to renew the 12-month residency visas.

I anticipated trouble, so submitted my renewal application six weeks before it was due to expire. If things were okay, you could expect approval in about 10 days. I didn't get a response.

Instead, I was ordered to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for "a cup of tea", a phrase that every foreign journalist knows is a euphemism for a dressing down.

When I entered the room, my government-appointed minder Mr Ouyang was standing with Ms Sun, an unassuming, bespectacled Chinese bureaucrat. She poured me a cup of tea.

Ms Sun had a pile of my story transcripts sitting in her lap. She drew them out one-by-one, referring to each in turn: "Re-education camps in Xinjiang! Political executions! Imprisoning of labour activists! Experts labelling Xi Jinping a dictator!!!" With each story her anger grew until she was enraged.

The session continued for two hours and it was quite a performance.

Ms Sun claimed I had abused all the people and leadership of China. I countered that I didn't know how that could be possible considering the ABC website had been banned in China.

This infuriated her further and she went on to lay out a more serious charge: I had personally broken Chinese laws and was now under investigation.

As I left the meeting that day, I felt vulnerable. I knew my future, and that of my family, was now in the hands of the Chinese authorities.

I was berated for any 'negative' China coverage

Over the next two weeks I was called in twice more for "cups of tea". The meetings were always angry and always lead by Ms Sun. But the focus had widened.

I was berated for any "negative" China coverage the ABC did on any platform and any program, particularly the Four Corners stories investigating Chinese interference in Australia's democracy.

As the ABC bureau chief, the boss, they believed I should take responsibility for these stories. In their view I was an appointment of the Australian Government and as such could be pressured as a means of passing a message to Canberra.

In a country like China where media is tightly controlled, understanding the concept of independence — the fundamental difference between a state broadcaster and a public broadcaster like the ABC — is not straightforward.

In my last meeting, Ms Sun still would not tell me if my visa renewal was going ahead.

But she did reveal one important detail: the matter was now out of her hands.

A "higher authority was in charge of the investigation", she said, and was outraged by Australia's new interference laws (some of the toughest in the world at that point).

Something was wrong

It was now a week before my visa was due to expire and with it the supporting visas for my wife and three children.

We booked flights back to Sydney for the following Friday night. The plan was to shield the kids from the drama and if worst came to worst, pick them up from school and leave straight for the airport.

We continued life as normally as possible. My wife, Catherine, was incredible under this pressure making calm, rational judgements all the way through the saga.

Early on Monday morning it appeared we had a breakthrough. I was told the visa had been approved and when I arrived at the office Mr Ouyang was waiting.

The atmosphere was tense.

He told me, with a cold anger, I had an extension of only two months (I'd asked for a year) and then added pointedly: "Don't expect to return to the People's Republic of China" and "don't think this mess ends with you".

Relieved the uncertainty and stress appeared to be over, Catherine and I went to the immigration police to have visa extensions stamped into our passports.

The official at the desk began entering our details into the system, but suddenly the mood changed. Something was wrong. We were told to immediately report to Public Security.

It was clear this ordeal was far from over. In fact, there had just been a major escalation.

Then the penny dropped

Once in the hands of Public Security we entered into territory where interrogations and detentions are the norm. As I mulled the possibilities, fear sank into my gut. If this is where our investigation had ended up, then we were in serious trouble.

We were instructed to report to a facility in north Beijing and told to bring my daughter Yasmine, who was 14 at the time, as she was now part of the investigation.

This felt like a line in the sand for me. I could not accept that they would involve my children.

At the same time I was frightened. It felt like part of the Chinese playbook: to go after family members as a way to exact punishment and revenge.

We turned up the next morning at 7:30am and walked into a large security complex. By this stage the Australian Embassy, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and my ABC bosses were aware of what was happening and were monitoring my movements.

The complex was newly built but mostly empty, except for the staff sitting dutifully at their workstations. It was so clean you could smell antiseptic. At end of a corridor an official told us to wait.

A short time later I was called into an office where three people were waiting at a desk. A woman, flanked by two older men, was clearly in charge. They did not give their titles or names. The woman told me in a tone that came across as arrogant that the investigation was about a visa violation.

Then the penny dropped — this is how I would be expelled from China: a visa violation would avoid a possible escalation with the Australian Government if I was charged with a more serious offence.

I had spent the past three years reporting on dissidents and Communist Party purges where the targets were often convicted of lesser crimes like arson or immoral behaviour.

'You will be put into detention'

The most pressing question was to yet to be answered: Why my daughter?

Then the lead interrogator, the woman, replied in slow, strident English: "Your daughter is 14 years old. She is an adult under Chinese law and as the People's Republic of China is a law-abiding country she will be charged with the visa crime".

I replied that as her father I would take responsibility for her "visa crimes". After all, I had put her in this position.

After a pause the woman answered: "Do you know that as a law-abiding country we have the right to detain your daughter?"

She knew she had total power over me and she let the words sink in. After some time she added: "I do have to inform you, Mr Carney, that we have a right to keep your daughter in an undisclosed location and I do have to inform you there would be other adults present".

I told her any attempt at this, and I would escalate the situation by involving the Australian Embassy and Australian Government, which was aware of my case.

But if she was trying to terrify me, it was working.

As my final offering, I said to her that we would leave China the next day, no problem.

She laughed in response and said: "Mr Carney, you can't leave the People's Republic of China! You are under investigation and we have put an exit ban on your passport".

Ok, I said. What happens when our visas run out this Saturday? I hoped she might say we would be expelled immediately.

Instead she smiled and said, "Well, you will be put into detention".

Was it all just theatre?

Panic was setting in, but I had to pull myself together and come up with a plan.

In a break I made a pact with Catherine: we would never let Yasmine out of our sight or be moved to separate locations.

After a round of calls to embassy staff, Chinese colleagues and the ABC, we all decided the best approach was to confess guilt and apologise for the "visa crime", with the condition that Yasmine stayed with us. She was mostly unaware of the severity of the situation.

I returned to the woman in the security office and did just that.

One of the men with her, who had a friendly, chubby face, explained the visa violation had come about because I had not transferred the visa that was about to expire from my current passport into a new passport that I had just had issued, within a 10-day timeframe. Instead (as advised) I was applying to have the new visa placed directly into the new passport. Was I guilty? Oh yes, I was! I was just relieved there was no other serious charges.

My best hope was this interrogation was all just theatre, designed to scare and humiliate.

The woman then interjected and instructed us to return the next day when my daughter and I would be required to give a taped video confession.

I went in first at 9:00am. The chubby-faced man set up a camera and pushed record and answered question after question about my travel itinerary over the past year.

Finally, it was time to confess my guilt: "Yes, I didn't put visas in my new passport."

My daughter, with my wife beside her, was called in next to give her confession.

By this stage the man with the chubby face was quite friendly. If this was all it was going to be, then it felt like a good sign. But you never knew.

'The investigation is over'

When the lead interrogator returned she told us she would consider our confessions, write a report on our case and send it to "the higher authority" for judgement.

To heighten the tension once again, she said a result could take weeks. Our visas were running out in four days and by now we knew the consequences.

We went home defeated and with no idea what would happen next. But at least we were all still together.

Then suddenly, early the next morning, we got a phone call.

"The investigation is over. The visa extension of two months has been granted. Come immediately back to the security office".

The man with the chubby face was waiting for us.

My daughter and I were asked to sign and thumb print every page of the transcripts from our "confessions", many pages long.

Then with a handshake and a smile he presented us with a certificate stating we were guilty of a visa violation. Our lead interrogator looked on sternly as we left the building, relieved.

A flight out never felt so good

There was one more twist to my story.

A program I made on China's social credit system which uses digital technology to keep control of the population, was getting tens of millions of views around the world.

The Chinese woman I featured in the story as a "model citizen" threatened legal action against me in the civil courts for defamation. Her husband was an active and ambitious Communist Party member. Was this another way to intimidate me and the ABC?

I took advice from an American lawyer based in Beijing who urged me to leave China immediately. As soon as legal proceedings were lodged against me, an exit ban would be activated.

He claimed to be representing dozens of foreigners in a similar position, some who had been stuck for years.

I was counting down the days before we could leave China for good. This wasn't the way I wanted it to end my posting, leaving behind one the world's biggest stories and many good Chinese friends.

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:56pm
I read China is rounding up Tibet in farmers and taking them to labour style military training camps, they are being taught " work discipline" and " gratitude" to reform " backward thinking"LOLLOL poor bastards , up to 500k so far, they say a fish rots from the head first
perhaps this could be where this mongrel virus comes from, it's a perfect environment.Wink
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:41am

China will start war if US troops return to Taiwan

Days after China’s President said he didn’t want to fight a “hot war”, tensions are rising over a crucial hold-out and war talk has erupted again.China’s Chairman Xi Jinping this week told the UN he had no intention to fight a “hot war”. Days later his chief propagandist warned “war will come” over Taiwan.

The editor-in-chief of the Chinese Communist Party-controlled Global Times news service was incensed by suggestions the US could send troops to support the island democracy’s independence.

“Once they take the step of returning US forces to Taiwan, the PLA will definitely start a just war to safeguard China’s territorial integrity,” Hu Xinjin declared.He was responding to an essay published by a US Marine Corps captain in the Military Review. In Deterring the Dragon, Captain Walker Mills warned that the vast military imbalance between China and Taiwan made a surprise invasion “more likely”.

Positioning US troops on the island as a trip-wire could deter such a hostile act, he argued.

Hu asserted the Communist Party’s line that Taiwan was simply a wayward province, even though the island never surrendered to Chairman Mao Zedong’s 1949 revolution.

“China’s Anti-Secession Law is a tiger with teeth,” Hu tweeted.

“No country has the right to dominate global affairs, control the destiny of others or keep advantages in development all to itself,” Chairman Xi told the UN this week, calling for “international order underpinned by international law”.But Beijing has a very national interpretation of international law – as the Philippines, Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Japan and Indonesia can attest to.

FIGHTING WORDS

“Both the US and Taiwan need to be prepared for a highly intense confrontation,” Hu threatened in the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) approved video.

Which is precisely the point of the US Military Review essay.

Captain Mills said the balance of power in the Western Pacific and South-East Asia was shifting away from the United States. This, he argues, means US forces will need to be pre-positioned in the area “if it is committed to defending Taiwanese sovereignty”.

He warned that a quick, successful invasion of Taiwan by China would result in a long, costly military campaign “with a far from certain outcome”.

But the relatively low-level mention of ‘trip-wire’, or pre-positioned, forces have Beijing outraged.

“I have to say advocating such a thing is lunacy because it’s bound to trigger a war in the Taiwan Straits,” Hu stated in a supplementary Global Times video published on Tuesday.“China’s anti-secession law stipulates three conditions for resolving the Taiwan question with military means. The US forces returning to Taiwan would meet these conditions, and the People’s Liberation Army would definitely take action and engage in a just war to liberate Taiwan”.

Taiwan’s elected government, however, has a different point of view.

It does not regard being placed under Beijing’s rule to be ‘liberation’. And how can it succeed from a government it never capitulated to?

Taipei has reacted with growing alarm to the harsh crackdown upon Hong Kong’s dissidents, independent judiciary and representative parliament. It argues Beijing’s oppressive behaviour in the former British colony puts the lie to its proclaimed ‘One China, Two Systems’ policy.

‘WAR WILL COME’

“If the US and Taiwan don’t take the mainland’s red line seriously, war will come,” Hu threatened, reiterating Beijing’s demands.

Chairman Xi has repeatedly warned that any open move towards formal independence by Taiwan would be met with force. His Beijing-based government has pushed hard to exclude Taipei from all international forums – including the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

Now Beijing is angered by the presence of US officials on the island.Washington, for its part, argues such diplomatic visits have been ongoing for decades.

“If the US sends higher-level officials to visit Taiwan, the mainland will without a doubt react with more than flying PLA fighter jets over the so-called ‘middle line’ of the Taiwan Straits – such as PLA fighter jets flying over Taiwan to declare sovereignty,” a defiant Hu states.

Chinese combat aircraft began incursions into Taiwan airspace late last week when a high-level US envoy arrived in Taipei for the funeral of a past, pro-democracy president. Subsequent breaches were observed on two additional days as large-scale Chinese military drills continued around the island.Taipei condemned these moves as “harassment and threats”.

The 1979 Taiwan Relations Act binds the US to the defence of Taiwan in the face of invasion.

The treaty followed the First Taiwan Straits Crisis of 1954 where China seized several islands in the narrow waterway between the two countries.

President at the time, Harry Truman, had sent the US Navy’s Seventh Fleet into the area to deter a mainland attack on the then Nationalist Party-held main island.

Hu obliquely referenced this standoff in his video threat: “The People’s Liberation Army is powerful now. Even if we were a little weaker than we are now, if the US and Taiwan insist on playing their cards like this, this is a war we must fight to the end, at any cost. This determination is real.”

Jamie Seidel is a freelance writer | @JamieSeidel

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:02pm

Chinese President Xi Jinping defends Xinjiang detention network, claiming 'happiness' is on the rise

Chinese President Xi Jinping said levels of happiness among all ethnic groups in the western region of Xinjiang are rising and that China plans to keep teaching its residents a "correct" outlook on China, Xinhua news agency reported.The comments come after a new report from the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI), which found China's network of secret detention facilities appears to be expanding in Xinjiang.

China has come under scrutiny over its treatment of Uyghur Muslims and claims of alleged forced labour abuses in Xinjiang, where the United Nations cites credible reports that 1 million Muslims held in camps have been put to work.

China has repeatedly denied mistreating Uyghurs and says the camps are vocational training centres that are needed to tackle extremism, accusing what it calls anti-China forces of smearing its Xinjiang policy.

"The sense of gain, happiness, and security among the people of all ethnic groups [in Xinjiang] has continued to increase," Mr Xi told a ruling Communist Party conference on Xinjiang held on Friday and Saturday, Xinhua reported.

Mr Xi said it was necessary to educate Xinjiang's population on an understanding of the Chinese nation and guide "all ethnic groups on establishing a correct perspective on the country, history and nationality".

"Practice has shown that the party's strategy for governing Xinjiang in the new era is completely correct" and it should be a long-term approach, he added.

The ASPI report estimated 16,000 mosques have been damaged or destroyed in Xinjiang, findings China's foreign ministry denied.

"Alongside other coercive efforts to re-engineer Uyghur social and cultural life by transforming or eliminating Uyghurs' language, music, homes and even diets, the Chinese Government's policies are actively erasing and altering key elements of their tangible cultural heritage," the ASPI report said.

Experts have described China's actions in the region as cultural genocide.

Uyghurs living abroad with family members trapped in the camp have reported a litany of human rights abuses, including forced labour and forced sterilisation.

Those living in Australia have shared their heartbreak at being separated from their loved ones and their fears for their wellbeing.

In July, the US-imposed sanctions on Chinese officials over alleged human rights abuses against Uyghurs under the Global Magnitsky Act, which allows the US Government to target human rights violators by freezing any US assets, banning US travel and prohibiting Americans from doing business with them.

brokecell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokecell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:13pm
No doubt the regime is savage, cruell, disgusting and putridd, like many dictatorships
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:51pm
China shares borders with 14 nations, and has become an enemy to every single one of them, including Russia.

China is now essentially at war, with the entire world.

Strangely, India is now supporting Pakistan as much as possible, because Pakistan has many Muslim people, so now even Pakistan is angry at China.

Its completely insane.
China, has lost the plot.

They are in so much trouble with their own soil.
Its HEAVILY contaminated with metals.
Food grown there, literally can't be organic, unless its from one of the very tiny regions that has any healthy soil left.
Citizens have way way too much metal in their food source.

The world needs to actually start asking a very very serious question.

How can we HELP China???

China needs help.
If people can't see how desperate they have become, they are blind, dumb, or both.

Hate rhetoric and any hate narrative to China is the LAST thing China needs.
The world needs to meet up with them, at some gigantic round table of Emperors, Queens, Scientists, and start having serious discussions on helping them lift their standards to elite levels of living, new technology, new ideas.

The West has taken advantage of them for way too long, now they are literally sick from metals.
I am not even convinced their leaders can think clearly, their soil is so bad.

Do research on it

China needs help and the world needs to shift away from playing the whole hate game.
If people want to say they are loving, and Christians, then bloody show it, reach out and help China, because they are imploding and creating an ideology that doesnt suit the world.

ALL my posts are written as Sci-Fi, no different to an Orson Welles and should not be taken literally. Sci-fi is a genre of Fiction.
brokecell View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brokecell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:39pm

One of Oakland's Most Historic Figures Was Also Horribly Racist 

Jack London wrote of exterminating Chinese, the genocide of "lesser breeds," and the supremacy of the white race.

By Janelle Bitker

One of Oakland's Most Historic Figures Was Also Horribly Racist 

Jack London wrote of exterminating Chinese, the genocide of "lesser breeds," and the supremacy of the white race.

By Janelle Bitker
click to enlarge Acclaimed novelist Jack London was a white supremacist who advocated for the genocide of &quot;the lesser breeds.&quot; - PHOTO BY DARRYL BARNES
  • Photo by Darryl Barnes
  • Acclaimed novelist Jack London was a white supremacist who advocated for the genocide of "the lesser breeds."

In 1951, Jack London Square officially became Jack London Square. The famed author spent much of his childhood along Oakland's bustling waterfront, working as an oyster pirate and sailor before venturing off to new lands. He would go on to write The Call of the Wild, White Fang, and The Sea Wolf — classics you were surely forced to read in high school. Those books also do little to paint a full picture of the man behind them.

London's other works, however, reveal his complexity: He advocated for the assassination of political leaders, fought for socialism, and, ultimately, was full of hypocrisies. They also depict someone who was undoubtedly, openly, and horribly racist.

One of the best examples is "The Unparalleled Invasion," his science-fiction short story published in 1910. The story begins in China, where society has prospered and the population has exploded — so much so that there are more Chinese people in the world than Anglo-Saxon. To that news, London wrote, "the world shivered."

In response to a rise in Chinese immigration, the United States and other Western countries conducted mass biological warfare, sending scores of deadly diseases to China and destroying its population — an act that London described as though it were a heroic feat. A year later, the West arrived, sentencing any remaining survivor to death and creating a glorious colony for white people: "the sanitation of China." The end.

His 1911 novel Adventure includes a white man who "rode pick-a-back on a woolly-headed, black-skinned savage." Enough said.  

It seems China did it first LOL

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote max manewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 10:49pm
Perish the thought that our indigenous cousins would be at all racist, but I am blowed if I know what happened to all those seafaring Pacific islanders who hit the Australian East Coast over millennia. Disappeared without trace. Any ideas, brokeback ?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 9:19am

Mega free-trade deal a lifeline for Australia-China relations

Australian businesses, universities and healthcare providers will be given access to 14 countries in the largest free-trade deal ever signed, as the federal government attempts to turn the new trading bloc into a circuit-breaker in its spiralling trade dispute with China.

Following eight years of highly secretive negotiations, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership will be signed on Sunday after agreements were reached across the $30-trillion market by Australia, China, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and 10 members of the Association of South-East Asian Nations including Indonesia and Vietnam.

The Australian government will use the European Union-style trade bloc in the Indo-Pacific to pull China back into multilateral negotiations and end trade disputes that have hit a dozen Australian industries and threatened $20 billion of exports.

"The ball is very much in China's court to come to the table for that dialogue," Trade Minister Simon Birmingham said.

The Australian government will use the trade pact to meet with Chinese ministers once in-person meetings resume next year. The Chinese Communist Party has frozen contact with Australian ministers since the beginning of the coronavirus outbreak after multiple disputes over an independent inquiry into the origins of the pandemic, Hong Kong and the South China Sea.

more...

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/mega-free-trade-deal-a-lifeline-for-australia-china-relations-20201112-p56dx8.html#comments

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:17am
What we’re watching: The Guardian’s video report on North Korean women working in Chinese factories producing P.P.E. for export worldwide. It’s a chilling look at what may amount to modern slavery.
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:25am
This is how North Korea gets around sanctions. They send labor to places like China, Russia, Central Asian countries, Iran in exchange for goods. People get free housing health care, govt payments etc in exchange
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:16am
Should China apologize for this?

China doubles down on sick doctored image over alleged war crimes in Afghanistan

Chinese officials have slammed Australia for “barbarism” and said it should be ashamed in a stinging response to demands for an apology over a faked picture.

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/china-trolls-australia-with-sick-doctored-image/news-story/2f48f2199dfa76eb26c55b76d664cf23

Shrunk in the Wash View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:18am
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:21am
Given his propensity for wetting himself over tweets I would have thought PT would have expressed his outrage of this disgrace from China

Originally posted by Shrunk in the Wash Shrunk in the Wash wrote:

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:24am
Any adult contributions?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:25am
Diversion
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:27am
 witter post by a senior Chinese official is being described as an attempt to win over conspiracy theorists as Beijing diplomats increasingly turn to Western media platforms to wage a propaganda war”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:27am
I will wait.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:31am
Would it have better had they posted actual execution pictures rather than characterizations? 

They are available online.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shrunk in the Wash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:32am
So you support the posting of the image by the Chinese Government?
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 9:35am
Should Australia criticize China for human rights abuses?

Our govt thinks we should and Alexander Downer in Britain on the weekend was calling on the British govt to do the same, a statement that enraged the Chinese according to reports..

However, his third ambition noted that Britain must also make clear to China that any human rights abuses, including allegations of mistreatment of Uighurs, are unacceptable.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 66>