Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Melbourne Cup 3200m Group 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>
Author
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Odd that he didn't mention the many male jockeys done for the same thing, or the top male jocks caught betting on races, or the many caught doing recreational drugs. 

Look her MC victory speach was horrendous and hideous.

One wonders she does not get any rides or horses to train.
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by Enabled Enabled wrote:

If she bothered to be professional and train properly like top male jockeys, she would have not needed to use drugs to suppress her appetite which she was busted for.

Look at how well all the jockeys and trainers spoke today. So eloquent and professional.

Like you for example? All been said ad nauseam on the MP thread, head over there and knock yourself even further into the 19th century. Her MC speech was one for the annals, without a trace of the dull  and saccharine cliches of Hughie for example.

A poster asked why female jockeyd don't get a run in the MC. Just giving you an example as why.

Ever heard a Yendall response? There are plenty of reasons women jockeys don't get many rides in G1s but speech making is unlikely to be in the top half dozen I'd suggest.
JudgeHolden View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JudgeHolden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm
Genuinely happy for the connections of the second and third horses, who seemed so invested in the race and were richly rewarded. More evidence however, that our horses are absolute spuds.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Tlazolteotl Tlazolteotl wrote:

The News article mentions that Freedman said COM looked like a melting ice cream. Do you know what he said about Cross Counter?
That was true. I was shocked at how bad he looked.
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 6:59pm

The News article mentions that Freedman said COM looked like a melting ice cream. Do you know what he said about Cross Counter?
That was true. I was shocked at how bad he looked.

COM or Cross Counter? I didn't have a bet on the race but someone rang me 6 or 7 minutes before the race and I tipped them Marmelo. While they were behind the barrier waiting to be loaded I thought to myself, jeez I'm glad I didn't tip them COM ... or Cross Counter, because I thought they both looked bad.Confused
An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.

Simon Cameron

Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:10pm
CoM. His hinquaryters were clear but the rest was a lather. Purely speculation but it's possible some damage had already been done before the jump. Cross Counter's handler was asked by Francesca?? about him sweating during the parade and the chap said he wasn't concerned because it was normal.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:23pm

Unlike Djebel, who thinks a Snitzel can win a Melbourne Cup, I am firmly of the opinion that horses who can't run a strong mile, at a minimum, do not sire Melbourne Cup winners. Any exceptions?

Which is why, after a quick look at his pedigree, I am ruling out Avillius.

As soon as I write it down up pops the first  exception, Teofilo, but a technical exception only, because Teofilo certainly was capable of running a strong mile.

I was going to include the retired early through injury but all indications were clause but it is self evident and I was trying to be brief.

Simon Cameron

djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:50pm
Danehill did not run a strong mile, He was beaten in all 3 efforts beyond 1200m. He sired 4000m winners

If a stallion has 25 crops of foals that gives about 30 running of a Melbourne Cup to get a winner.

Cadeaux Genereax never ran a mile.

reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:53pm
Do we judge Olympic 100m runners on how well they “look”at the starting line ?
Refer ALP Election Promises
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by oneonesit oneonesit wrote:

Was Matt Shirvington an Olympian ? 
reductio ad absurdum
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by djebel djebel wrote:

Yes I think so. Unfortunately he was white
oneonesit View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oneonesit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:17pm

Do we judge Olympic 100m runnerUsain Bolt by running your eye over him ?s on how well they “look”at the starting line ?

My point is this djebel - how easily would it be to distinguish between a 100% fit Usain Bolt & a 95% fit Usain Bolt by merely running your eye over him at the starting line ?
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:28pm
Had a mate by the name of Peter Martin, both of us called up for National Service many years ago.  He ended up with an OAM after years of teaching and service to veterans.  That's his upside.

He'd back horses that defecated in the mounting yard, thus carrying less weight in the run in his considered opinion.  Needless to say he didn't make any money on the punt. That's his downside.

Not unlike more than a few other mounting yard judges.  Wink
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:37pm

Do we judge Olympic 100m runnerUsain Bolt by running your eye over him ?s on how well they “look”at the starting line ?

My point is this djebel - how easily would it be to distinguish between a 100% fit Usain Bolt & a 95% fit Usain Bolt by merely running your eye over him at the starting line ?

I agree.

Apart from horses that are seriously falling apart 99% of horses that turn up to these meetings would be impossible to criticise in the looks department.  
reductio ad absurdum
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Had a mate by the name of Peter Martin, both of us called up for National Service many years ago.  He ended up with an OAM after years of teaching and service to veterans.  That's his upside.

He'd back horses that defecated in the mounting yard, thus carrying less weight in the run in his considered opinion.  Needless to say he didn't make any money on the punt. That's his downside.

Not unlike more than a few other mounting yard judges.  Wink

I can see an obvious flaw in his method - plenty of them leave it till they are behind the barriers waiting to be loaded in.

Simon Cameron

Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:21pm
Hugh Bwman was 0.5kg overweight on Marmelo
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:21pm
Hugh Bowman has been suspended for a month after pleading guilty to three separate charges out of the Melbourne Cup including weighing in 1kg overweight.

Bowman finished second, beaten a length aboard the Hughie Morrison-trained Marmelo, and returned to scale, weighing in 1kg above his weight.

Stewards handed Bowman a 21 meeting penalty for the breach.

Bowman was also suspended for excessive whip use as well as winning jockey Kerrin McEvoy and Michael Walker, the rider of the third placegetter A Prince Of Arran.

Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:24pm
Just watched replay... Rides on 2nd and 3rd were sensational... But winner was enormous, was getting held up and 15 wide on bend...anyonne know what it traded in run?
djebel View Drop Down
Premium
Premium

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:24pm
Who will ride Winx in the Japan Cup ?

reductio ad absurdum
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:26pm

I agree.

Apart from horses that are seriously falling apart 99% of horses that turn up to these meetings would be impossible to criticise in the looks department.  

I'm no expert on what horses look like... But cliffs of moher was a mess.. I thought Finiche looked sensational and ran up-to looks
Jamal View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:50pm
Bowman was 1kg over weight on Marmelo. Question is...does Marmelo win if Bowman has the correct weight? 1kg at 3200m reprsents roughly 2 lengths.
Australian racing is only good up to 1400m in terms of world standards when it comes to depth/quality in numbers
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Jamal Jamal wrote:

Bowman was 1kg over weight on Marmelo. Question is...does Marmelo win if Bowman has the correct weight? 1kg at 3200m reprsents roughly 2 lengths.

Maybe on "paper"..Can't take anything away from winner though
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Baguette Baguette wrote:

Already a detail article from lefties Fairfax calling for a ban on horse racing. They would have had to prepared the article to get it out so fast and sat back and prayed for a mishap.
Right on cue! But honestly what the hell is going on with these Internationals ? We've had the French horse die in to the Cup( name escapes me) then Admire Rakti dropped dead , the wonderful Red Cadeaux had to get put down and now today. All within a couple of years and in the same race. Is there any other race that can boast that toll? Is it just bad luck? Are these Europeans jarring up on the hard training tracks or something? Are the vets letting them in with minor problems? All I know is it absolutely AWFUL for racings image! Sorry , I don't mean to downplay the horses deaths which is horrible but honestly!!

The Cup is a tough 3200. Usually run at pace .    Many of these gallopers are probably not fit enough to endure such a hard assignment.

If there are any physical ill's with any starter , the toughest Race in the country will find it.     IMHO
mc41 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:02pm

CoM. His hinquaryters were clear but the rest was a lather. Purely speculation but it's possible some damage had already been done before the jump. Cross Counter's handler was asked by Francesca?? about him sweating during the parade and the chap said he wasn't concerned because it was normal.

Didn't he keep laying in last start ?
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by mc41 mc41 wrote:

Didn't he keep laying in last start ?

Yes, rolled in behind leaders in CC
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:08pm

I don't know anything about olympic sprinting but I do know something about combat sports and we judge them based on how they look at the weigh ins.
Not only are they judged on how they look they are judged on how they are behaving.
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:11pm

Who will ride Winx in the Japan Cup ?

Debbie Kepitis
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:28pm
Has the Melbourne Cup jumped the shark? 
It's one thing for internationals to win but it's another thing for internationals to win first up.
The traditional lead ups are being rendered irrelevant so how do you access this race properly.
Tontonan is somewhat of a racing historian and he said he doesn't have much interest in the international cup.
I went through the form in routine fashion this year but it was robotic.
The magic is gone it's just another race.
Bart is gone and the 3 year old classic winners are fading into irrelevance.
SHOVHOG View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHOVHOG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:40pm
Best Solution was simply huge. Youngstar will have the Sydney cup at her mercy if they head that way.
" In gambling the many must lose in order for the few to win"
Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by SHOVHOG SHOVHOG wrote:

Best Solution was simply huge. Youngstar will have the Sydney cup at her mercy if they head that way.

Prob depends what overseas horses stay here...if any??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2324252627>