Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

2018 Melbourne Cup 3200m Group 1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>
Author
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:46pm
Just announced on Racing.com that Cliffs of Moher could not be saved.

Coalition for the protection of race horses are all over it on Facebook already.
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Redemption Redemption wrote:

Youngstar didnt win, but she went super. Very prud of her.
She still hasnt worked it all out.
When she balances up, she really motors. She had too many strides around the turn where she wasnt going to lengthen, but gee she is a ripper.

It’s a shame they didn’t have to run another lap hey?
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Heavy10 Heavy10 wrote:

Got huge sight with Prince Of Arran...went massive, just got left in front too early

Interesting comment from MW. Had to run Sat, probably cost him the win. Hard to say and given the winner's run you really can't take anything away from him. 
stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by stayer stayer wrote:

Just for fun and because I've never tried it, here's my thoughts on the field. Hope it's not too self indulgent - just a bit of fun.

Best S - Weight and history against but good class, form, barrier and obvious will to win. Each way.

Cliffs - Weight not great and distance a query but Williams, O'Brien, Moore all ticks, will be given a quiet ride and work into it and got the feeling Flemington will suit. Top 6 if he runs to his best.

Magic C - Originally liked it but not convinced it can reproduce last couple of runs in a MC and don't want to see Marwan in a g string. Have an early bet on so happy to risk now.

Chestnut C - 2 miler and Tenno Sho form but happy to risk.

Muntahaa- Ticks a lot of boxes and has to be in multiples but a risk because of temperament. Sold to Oz makes me a bit suss too. Stud manager saying "If he takes to it mentally he's the sort of horse who could win a fair bit of prizemoney" doesn't inspire confidence. Risking reluctantly.

Sound Check - Seems limited compared to a few of these. Happy to risk.

The Barman - Would love to see him fill the top 6 but leaving out.

Ace High - No.

Marmelo - Didn't like him last year in a weaker edition but form has been good and rated by pommies. Bowman preferred over Finche? Risking.

Avilius - Not sure. Would cheer home a Cummings winner but just got a hunch he's peaked and will tire. Risking.

Yucatan - Not sure if many people realize he was deep and circled the field in the Herbert Power. Pretty dominant but Prince of Arran the only other decent horse in the race. Doubt that he's up to some others and will need to repeat that performance and more from barrier 23 but just might be one that's come good at the right time and loves Oz. Risking.

Auvray - No.

Finche - Dark horse with talent who might just power home as others tire. Included in multis.

Red C - Liked last year but no.

Vengeur M - Would be good to see him finish top 8 but probably won't place.

Ventura S - Same as above.

A Prince of A - Possibly good enough on the day with the right breaks and others going wrong but probably just a bit below placings. Seems to plug away well.

Nakeeta - No.

Sir Charles - Could well be one that wrecks everyone's first 4s but doubt it.

Zacada - No.

Runaway - Gai seems to have found some new tricks but hopefully tails out last.

Youngstar - A mare, but seems like a Cup kind of mare. Nice prep not pushed too hard or too soft, nice run CC. Best local hope. Place maybe.

Cross Counter - Weight, Appleby, McEvoy, obvious talent, St Leger formlines (Kew Gardens would have been clear fave if here), but unknown at distance, inexperienced and bad barrier. If not for the bad barrier would be my clear top pick, if a risky one. Not happy with the barrier but on talent still each way.

Rostropovich - Weight and trainer and formlines good, but young and untried at trip. Has to be given a chance to place.

Quite proud of that, especially considering Best Solution missed the start and Cliffs went amiss. Just underestimated Marmelo.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

When she balances up, she really motors. She had too many strides around the turn where she wasnt going to lengthen, but gee she is a ripper.

Funny you say that, she could have. She showed no signs of stopping.
She still hasnt figured it all out. 
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:01pm
We needed to pool our exotics stayer.

I ended up with 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th. All I needed was Prince Of Arran which you had.

I hope this copy / paste works or Gay3 will be on to me for sending the page haywire.

I started with nothing and still have most of it left
maccamax View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maccamax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
Winning Melbourne Cups 1st up stuffs up the old story =   They have to do the lead up miles.

No way did I even consider the winner = = = 12/1 told a story.

Just too good ...      (Probably got out here for 10 quid.)

Not a bad rider McIvoy aye , has a Beautiful Lady & some 4 Kids.

Added to the fairy story ..Good luck to them

Carioca View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carioca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Got huge sight with Prince Of Arran...went massive, just got left in front too early

Interesting comment from MW. Had to run Sat, probably cost him the win. Hard to say and given the winner's run you really can't take anything away from him. 

Beautiful ride in my book, beaten by two better horses on the day, 10 outa 10 for Walker.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:05pm
What a looker is Finche. 

Sad for COM. Badly sweating up before the race and knowing the outcome a shame he could not have been withdrawn beforehand.

There seems to be a certain jinx about the Melbourne Cup.
horseshoe View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:10pm
The Cliffsofmoher euthanased
Those who know don't tell, Those who tell don't know
furious View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote furious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:17pm
The winner goes back to Brown Bess.  Carbine was inbred to Brown Bess and she was the grandam of Musket.  Musket was a great sire for the Melbourne Cup and stayers.  Just interesting I thought that history supports this horse winning the Melbourne Cup even if he comes from Europe.
Isaac soloman View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Isaac soloman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:27pm
Bred to Win the Cup
Tara Madgwick - Tuesday November 6
Pedigree to create a horse with the genes to run two miles and a trainer capable of turning that talent into results are the key factors in Melbourne Cup success, so let's take a look for the Top five on pedigree.

The modern stayer needs a mix of speed and stamina, obviously leaning towards the latter, but a dash of speed somewhere is what's required to win an elite staying race such as the Cup. 
Best Solution

Best Solution

It's a great lottery of a race and opinion on what is or is not a good pedigree is very subjective, but for what it's worth here are the horses I like this year.

1/ Best Solution (Kodiac x Al Andalyya, by Kingmambo) – Gets his speed from his sire Kodiac, who is a world champion sire of two year-olds, but on his dam's side it's all about staying blood with his mother a slow unplaced daughter of a full sister to Champion 3YO Stayer Brian Boru, who won an English St Leger and was second in an Irish St Leger. The family also features Epsom Derby and Arc winner Workforce.

2/ Thecliffsofmoher (Galileo x Wave, by Dansili) – By the best active sire in the world in Galileo and comes from an outstanding family of European Group I winners with mixed talents, although dam is a three-quarter sister to a dead set stayer in Francis of Assisi. Has a double cross of Sadlers Wells as does the world's best long distance mare Enable.

13/ Finche (Frankel x Binche, by Woodman) – Gets his speed through his sire Frankel, an unbeaten world champion miler and is from an outstanding Juddmonte Farm family being a half-brother to Group I winners up to 2000m in Proviso and Byword. 4 x 3 double cross of Epsom Derby winner Rainbow Quest might give him the staying edge.

17/ A Prince of Arran (Shirocco x Storimg Sioux, by Storming Home) – Gets his stamina from his sire Shirocco, a son of champion German sire Monsun, sire of three of the past five Melbourne Cup winners. Dam brings in a little speed as her dam was a stakes-winning two year-old and produced 2000m Group I winner Best of the Bests.

22/ Youngstar (High Chaparral x Starspangled, by Danehill) – By outstanding staying sire who had the Cup winner Rekindling last year. Gets some speed from dam sire Danehill and more staying blood from grand-dam User Friendly , a five time Group I winner of Epsom Oaks, Irish Oaks, Yorkshire Oaks, Grand Prix de Saint Cloud and St Leger!

Heavy10 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by Carioca Carioca wrote:

Originally posted by 3blindmice 3blindmice wrote:

Beautiful ride in my book, beaten by two better horses on the day, 10 outa 10 for Walker.

I agree... Just unfortunate he got left in front, long straight at end of 3200..hopefully stays sound and can be set just for this race
Smoke and Mirrors View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm
No visible issues with Cliffs of Moher beforehand.
Will be sent for a post mortem
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Above is statement from RV
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:31pm
Magic Circle suffered an internal bleed

Avilius has a leg injury

MARMELO lame
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Second Chance View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:33pm
We had one break a shoulder simply cantering around in the paddock.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:36pm
And now that I remember it, another fractured her pastern doing bugger all.  
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Smoke and Mirrors Smoke and Mirrors wrote:

Magic Circle suffered an internal bleed

Avilius has a leg injury

MARMELO lame
Blame the wet track...
Enabled View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:43pm
Already a detail article from lefties Fairfax calling for a ban on horse racing. They would have had to prepared the article to get it out so fast and sat back and prayed for a mishap.
Sneck View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Enabled Enabled wrote:

Already a detail article from lefties Fairfax calling for a ban on horse racing. They would have had to prepared the article to get it out so fast and sat back and prayed for a mishap.
I'm not holding my breath waiting for their campaign against halal and kosher butchering. 
ExceedAndExcel View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExceedAndExcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:52pm

Originally posted by ExceedAndExcel ExceedAndExcel wrote:

Funny you say that, she could have. She showed no signs of stopping.
She still hasnt figured it all out. 

And either have you.
Enabled View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:53pm
Did another one just dropped R9.
Baguette View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baguette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm

Right on cue! But honestly what the hell is going on with these Internationals ? We've had the French horse die in to the Cup( name escapes me) then Admire Rakti dropped dead , the wonderful Red Cadeaux had to get put down and now today. All within a couple of years and in the same race. Is there any other race that can boast that toll? Is it just bad luck? Are these Europeans jarring up on the hard training tracks or something? Are the vets letting them in with minor problems? All I know is it absolutely AWFUL for racings image! Sorry , I don't mean to downplay the horses deaths which is horrible but honestly!!
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smoke and Mirrors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 4:58pm

Did another one just dropped R9.

Clipped heels.
No injuries to horse or jockey
"Go Hard or Go Home”
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Second Chance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm

Please provide the link, otherwise I might have to doubt your veracity.
Redemption View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Sneck Sneck wrote:

I'm not holding my breath waiting for their campaign against halal and kosher butchering. 

Spot on Enabled and Sneck. Well said. Bloody true.
niki View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote niki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:17pm
MSN polling >

stayer View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:20pm
It's just hitting me how good an effort that was from Cross Counter. 8 starts for an amazing record and that was one hell of a finish. Could turn out to be something special.
Enabled View Drop Down
Yearling
Yearling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enabled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Second Chance Second Chance wrote:

Please provide the link, otherwise I might have to doubt your veracity.

https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/melbourne-cup-one-of-the-cruellest-days-in-citys-calendar-20171106-gzfj9m.html
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 27>