Go to Villagebet.com.au for free horse racing tips - Click here now
Forum Home Forum Home > Horse Racing - Public Forums > Racing Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thoroughbred Village Home Page. For village news, follow @TBVillage on Twitter. For horseracing tips, follow @Villagebet on Twitter. To contact the Mayor by email: Click Here.

Godolphin/James Cummings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gay3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Godolphin/James Cummings
    Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:37pm

James Cummings signs on for the Godolphin head trainer job

Chris Roots

Godolphin will confirm James Cummings as its head Australian trainer to replace John O'Shea as early as Tuesday.

It is a coming together of one of the most famous families in Australian racing with a global powerhouse headed by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.

Fairfax Media understands Cummings, the grandson of legendary trainer Bart, has signed a seven-figure contract to take over the massive racing operation, which has stables at Agnes Banks, Warwick Farm and Flemington.

Godolphin did not return calls on Monday. The announcement is likely to be made by press release.

Cummings has been mooted as the Godolphin trainer since O'Shea's shock exit last month. It is likely he will take over the stables from August 1, allowing him to finish the Brisbane carnival with Prized Icon, Good Standing and a number of other high quality gallopers for existing clients.

It will mean Godolphin interim trainer Darren Beadman will get a chance to have a group 1 winner during the Brisbane carnival.

Cummings was born into Australian racing royalty, and although he has a university degree, he has worked in stables for much of his life.

He was foreman for his grandfather Bart for four years before he gained his trainer's licence in 2013. He trained in partnership with Bart for a couple of years until his death in August 2015.

The pair produced a group 1 winner in Hallowed Crown, which was the first unbeaten Golden Rose winner before going on to win the Randwick Guineas. Hallowed Crown was retired to stand as a stallion at Darley, Sheikh Mohammed's breeding operation.

The 29-year-old has trained 108 winners since running Leilani Lodge in his own right, with Prized Icon giving him another two group 1 successes by winning the Champagne Stakes and Victoria Derby last year.

Cummings fits the model for the job at Godolphin as he has had good black-type success with two-year-olds and has a proven track record that he can produce a winning stallion, which is key to Godolphin's operation.

He will be the face of the Godolphin operation, which prides itself on integrity and a winning culture.

The Godolphin stables have had more than 180 winners in Australia this season and have more than 300 horses in work.

It is unclear what will happen to Bart Cummings' famed Leilani Lodge stable at Randwick when his grandson takes the Godolphin job.  

Wisdom has been chasing me but I've always outrun it!
Magnolian Khan View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 10:44pm
Time to let the Cat out of the bag
VPI View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VPI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:25pm
Glyn gets all the good rides, right?
@value_punter
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2017 at 11:47pm
I think they are trying to get Kerrin back
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:41am
Bart will be turning in his grave :(
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

Didn't he get cremated?
Lexawin View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexawin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:06am
Why would he...good on the young fellow its a good job will set him up for life...good luck to him... some in here think he can't train anyway... whats that idiots name....???
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:49am
lol I couldn't see this. Gay feel free to remove thread I just posted with this article. Apologies.
Sunline...simply supreme
Sunline View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sunline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:51am
If anyone actually understood Bart and his beliefs, you'd know he absolutely wouldn't be keen on something like this. But that was Bart and James is his own man, free to do what he believes is right.

No doubt Bart would be spewing though!
Sunline...simply supreme
Einstein View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Einstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Lexawin Lexawin wrote:

Why would he...good on the young fellow its a good job will set him up for life...good luck to him... some in here think he can't train anyway... whats that idiots name....???
I am sure that had Bart known James didn't value the family heritage, he would of left it to someone else.
Whilst it is a great opportunity for James, it just leaves a bit of a foul smell.
early4lunch View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote early4lunch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 2:32am
I understand from previous posts here that he hasn't been the easiest person to work for. If this is so how will he handled so many staff?
jacko1 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacko1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Sunline Sunline wrote:

If anyone actually understood Bart and his beliefs, you'd know he absolutely wouldn't be keen on something like this. But that was Bart and James is his own man, free to do what he believes is right.

No doubt Bart would be spewing though!

What's Bart got to do with it? Obviously the Cummings name has helped James, but comparing every decision he makes to what would Bart do/think is a bit tough. 
acacia alba View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acacia alba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 11:45am
Well, Bart is gone now, and James has to stand on his own feet, and this will either make or break him.
Bart took him under his wing and gave him a start.  His wife,s family have given him a huge leg up.   Now lets see what he can do as an unprotected species.
Good Luck to him . I hope he does well.  Massive undertaking for a young bloke with a young family, but at least he has a wife who should be at least able to be very supportive .
Wonder what happens with the Gooree horses now ?  He wont be able to have them as well will he ?  Nice little opening for another trainer ?  

animals before people.
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:57pm
Isn't there another Cummings waiting in the wings who could take over Leilani Lodge?
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
scamanda View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scamanda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 12:59pm
Edward Cummings.
I started with nothing and still have most of it left
Gee Gee View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee Gee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:00pm

Good on him. It's a great opportunity.  

The Gooree horses can go to other trainers. No big deal there. Anthony Cummings, FBI, Gai and Hawkes have trained their horses previously.

Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Einstein Einstein wrote:

I think Bart will be doing cartwheels, in the unlikely event that there is life after death.Clap
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 6:58pm
Brad Widdup has departed GODOLPHIN and will train horses in his name.

reported

RacingNSW Fri 19 MAY
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 7:06pm
jujuno View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jujuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2017 at 8:27pm

In light of the recent post of James Cummings as Head Trainer to Godolphin, we have accepted the resignation of Monica Cummings as the Racing Manager of Gooree Park Stud.

During the time that we have had James and Monica as a part of our team, we have experienced high levels of success and we thank them for their tenure with Gooree and we wish them all the best in their future endeavours.

Our Principal, Eduardo Cojuangco Jr, has every intention to maintain his involvement in the racing industry in Australia and looks forward to continued success with the distribution of his racing stock to various trainers. He is both proud and supportive of the career choices that both members of his family have taken and looks forward with enthusiasm to the future.

Desert War, Rain Lover, Latin Knight, Hay List, Mustard...my turf heroes...
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:04am
Anyone else thinking O'Shea will take over Cummings stables?
The Stallion View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Stallion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:10am
Originally posted by RED HUNTER RED HUNTER wrote:

Brad Widdup has departed GODOLPHIN and will train horses in his name.

reported

RacingNSW Fri 19 MAY

Expect him to go quite well. Good grounding.
That's the smell of victory, you can't wash that out.
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 12:41am
Its a poisoned chalice...

there would be some financial reward but with the numbers of yearlings coming through + breeding
the expectation would be high every year..

I agree with a few who say Bart wouldnt be happy... because he wouldn't do it.. there is a lot to be said about grafting at it.. what he has been handed may seem good but better trainers than he have stepped down previously

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Tlazolteotl View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tlazolteotl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by troppo75 troppo75 wrote:

Its a poisoned chalice...

there would be some financial reward but with the numbers of yearlings coming through + breeding
the expectation would be high every year..

I agree with a few who say Bart wouldnt be happy... because he wouldn't do it.. there is a lot to be said about grafting at it.. what he has been handed may seem good but better trainers than he have stepped down previously

He would have done it when he was 29 years old.
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magnolian Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 11:47am
Bart and James are different people. James shouldn't be compared to what Bart would or wouldn't of done
troppo75 View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troppo75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 3:17pm
Just saw a picture of J Cummings wearing all blue parka / hat

it looks weird... I never saw O Shea all pimped up like that, whether its just for promo.. or.. what?

Reminds me of the phrase eyes bigger than his belly.. I think he likes to bite off more than he can chew

Now having passed 1000 posts I feel you are all so much the wiser for my having said... stuff!
Passing Through View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Passing Through Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:31pm
3blindmice View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3blindmice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 4:45pm

Lord Hybrow View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lord Hybrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:15pm
Good luck to James.  I sincerely hope his time training for Godolphin is a great success.  He is a very well presented & seems quite knowledgable young man. 

On the other hand, I'm kind of sad that we won't be getting to see the "Green & Gold diagonal stripes with white cap" going around for a while..........unless they are transferred to Anthony & Edward Cummings.

Same with the "Chess Board with Yellow Sleeves"of Dato Tan.  Synonomous with the Cummings stable.
RED HUNTER View Drop Down
Champion
Champion

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RED HUNTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2017 at 6:36pm
Dato is nearly done...reading his book,he took,on advice from a fellow traveller many years back, an expensive YIPPEE BEAN medicine available in SWITZERLAND.

Required him to fly there once a year for treatment.

He evidently lives(still?) in THE MENARA TAN & TAN BUILDING in KUALA LUMPUR,top floor....I had the privilege of being in that building .....for a VISA to go to BRAZIL. Thought adding Colombia was too risky!!!!!Who would travel to Colombia !!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>